AHC: Is their anyway to have The Netherlands keep Indonesia?

With a POD set after WW2, is their anyway the Netherlands can keep Indonesia or at least make the conflict last longer?

No plausible way to keep it in a stable way for much time. I think they can manage to last in some parts of the Archipelago for some decades.

abc123

Banned
No plausible way to keep it in a stable way for much time. I think they can manage to last in some parts of the Archipelago for some decades.

I agree. Maybe Molucas, West Timor and West New Guinea if the right POD is applied.

Wasn't there a plan, I'm not sure how seriously, by the Dutch to try and break it up into its smaller constituant parts to try and maintain some sort of influence even if they had to grant independence? The main problem I see with the Netherlands trying to keep Indonesia is that unlike Aruba, Curacao and Sint Maarten who are small enough to get the economic benefit from retaining their links Indonesia is just too large, the benefit is going to be mainly the other way so why keep it. If you want them to stay then you'd have to have a fairly early PoD to change how the Dutch administered and treated the locals and dealt with the local independence movements when they first started appaearing. The best I think you could reasonably hope for would be for them to adopt the splitting up the various Indonesian states under a loose federation plan and have it headed by the Dutch Crown under some sort of Dominion-like status.

what the Netherlands could theoretically do is keep certain parts and grant independence to different Indonesian nations like for example cut up Java even as to have the individual monarchs really be head of state and then maintain the Dutch King as suzerain.

Furthermore, certain parts like what is now the Special Capital Territory of Jakarta could remain Dutch completely (Batavia en ommelanden), as could Soerabaja and possibly Buitenzorg (present day Bogor) in a way similar to the current status of Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius.

But keeping all of Indonesia? I do not think that will be possible unless you want the Netherlands to end up as an Indonesian colony in the long run.

A loose federation (thus without Soekarno) would also be possible, the Molukku islands may agree to become an independent nation in the Kingdom as they were very pro-dutch