Kurosawa directs Lord of the Rings...

From time to time there are discussions on alternate film career directions for Akira Kurosawa, inarguably among the most influential directors in the history of cinema - Eastern or Western. (I'm something of a fan, of course.)

Even more frequently there appears discussion on alternate film adaptations of the Lord of the Rings saga by Tolkien and there are a wealth of possibilities here, as the story was in talks numerous times for numerous directors.

I was thinking just now of a bridge so hear me out:

What if Akira Kurosawa reads the Fellowship of the Ring (could he read English in the fifties or should this be an early, rough translation?) and decides he wants to direct a version of it in Japan in around, say, 1957. Tolkien is in the process of rejecting a script around that time, but wackypedia claims he was "enthusiastic about the film's concept art".

Making the understandable assumption that a Japanese adaptation of his work would be unlikely to spoil its integrity in the west, even if it was bad or not entirely true to the book, and hoping to increase sales once the book series is translated and published in the east, Tolkien agrees and sends Kurosawa notes - as well as the concept art. Kurosawa doesn't work on the Hidden Fortress, receives funding through deals with foreign studios, and asks Tomoyuki Tanaka (of Godzilla fame) to co-produce.

Kurosawa delivers a masterpiece widescreen vision which is released in 1958 and is wildly critically and commercially successful in Japan, and, (once a version has been colorized in high contrast and dubbed by British actors the following year) internationally, leading to him going on to direct the sequels as well.

Of course this version of "The Fellowship of the Ring" replaces "The Hidden Fortress" of OTL. A few things which would make it unique:

1. Japanese actors only will be used and the dialog, although very true to the book, is in Japanese unless it comes to words or names in Middle Earth languages (this would be important to Tolkien). Subtitles in the west, of course...

2. While let's just assume the costumes and set designs, etc. turn out similar at least to OTLs Jackson trilogy (while maybe a little more medeival knight-y), there would also be a pretty heavy Asian tilt to them. Kurosawa is the Samurai master after all.

3. The special effects should be outrageous. Like... Wizard of Oz good. Groundbreaking. Lots of Schufftan Process and matte painting and perhaps some tasteful animation? Puppetry could work as well in some cases. The forced perspective thing could occur here right? Thoughts?

My main questions are these:

A. Any ideas as to who the cast would be? Mifune is almost a given in some sort of role, but who? And who else? Feel free to use some of the Hidden Fortress cast if necessary.

B. There would certainly be more interest in an Anglo version if this version takes off in such a big way. How would the Japanese film industry be effected by such a dramatic boost in interest?

C. With such an enormous following in the east, as well as earlier Japanese translations, how does Japanese film and literature evolve with a sudden fascination with high fantasy, a fascination which, to my knowledge did not exist at that time or for quite a while...

and...

D. What are the general long term effects of such a production and what does it look like? How would Kurosawa have pulled off the scenes? How would Sergio Leone or George Lucas (to name two notable fans) have been inspired?

Help me out with some ideas!

If LOTR is made in Japan and very very popular in Japan I can imagine it would lead to a big interest in the LOTR books and other books of a similar genre. I can imagine Japan would become a leader in this genre of film and that other genres (namely the monster genre) would take a back seat.
But like all popular genres it will one day come to an end.
I can't say anything for how it would look as I have never seen LOTR or read the books before. But I can imagine western directors taking note. I can even imagine that Star Wars might even have a more medieval setting.
Would be interesting.

This is either an obscenely horrible idea that would backfire and make Kurosawa and/or LotR look absolutely horrible, or the most awesome thing since multicelluar life.

I'm regrettably inclined to suspect the former.

I love LotR. And I love Kurosawa's movies. But I'm not sure they mix.

I mean, Mifune. Who do you put him as? His kind of characters don't fit any of the characters very well.

Which is a shame, because he was a great actor and did those things well. But they're different things.

So I'm left with bad images of Ronin Aragorn, for instance, when trying to answer your question/s.

This is either an obscenely horrible idea that would backfire and make Kurosawa and/or LotR look absolutely horrible, or the most awesome thing since multicelluar life.

I'm regrettably inclined to suspect the former.

I love LotR. And I love Kurosawa's movies. But I'm not sure they mix.

I mean, Mifune. Who do you put him as? His kind of characters don't fit any of the characters very well.

Which is a shame, because he was a great actor and did those things well. But they're different things.

So I'm left with bad images of Ronin Aragorn, for instance, when trying to answer your question/s.

If it's at all possible that it would turn out to be the latter, may we look at it like that instead? Obviously, I'm wanting this to work and work well.

If it's at all possible that it would turn out to be the latter, may we look at it like that instead? Obviously, I'm wanting this to work and work well.

I think its possible. And Kurosawa was good enough that I could just be being pessimistic.

But it is hard to see how he would do it.

I mean, has he done anything like this? Its not just about epics, its about this as an English myth (to paraphrase Tolkien on what LotR was).

On the other hand, I'd love to see how he'd handle Gondor. That could be truly awesome. :D

I don't know enough on actors to name anyone really.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
This could be awesome! :cool:

Gorgeous B&W cinematography, pace, poise and the passion of a true artist.

The sheer quantity of special effects could lead Kurosawa to adopt 'stylised' Armor (Helmets/Masks) and lighting to cover the more 'active' Creatures (Orcs, Ring Wraiths) with puppetry/stop motion being reserved for Balrogs, Trolls and Ents.

I'll 'steal' the cast of Seven Samurai pretty much wholesale, actually.
Specifically Mifune as Aragorn and Takashi Shimura as Gandalf.

I can see the Western release editing out the Bombadil epsiode but would think Kurosawa would have rendered an exquisite, poetic interlude that later reappraisals will reckon one of the outstanding sequences of the film.

Run with this idea. It could be the best movie I'll never see.

Falkenburg

From time to time there are discussions on alternate film career directions for Akira Kurosawa, inarguably among the most influential directors in the history of cinema - Eastern or Western. (I'm something of a fan, of course.)

Even more frequently there appears discussion on alternate film adaptations of the Lord of the Rings saga by Tolkien and there are a wealth of possibilities here, as the story was in talks numerous times for numerous directors.

I was thinking just now of a bridge so hear me out:

What if Akira Kurosawa reads the Fellowship of the Ring (could he read English in the fifties or should this be an early, rough translation?) and decides he wants to direct a version of it in Japan in around, say, 1957. Tolkien is in the process of rejecting a script around that time, but wackypedia claims he was "enthusiastic about the film's concept art".

Making the understandable assumption that a Japanese adaptation of his work would be unlikely to spoil its integrity in the west, even if it was bad or not entirely true to the book, and hoping to increase sales once the book series is translated and published in the east, Tolkien agrees and sends Kurosawa notes - as well as the concept art. Kurosawa doesn't work on the Hidden Fortress, receives funding through deals with foreign studios, and asks Tomoyuki Tanaka (of Godzilla fame) to co-produce.

Kurosawa delivers a masterpiece widescreen vision which is released in 1958 and is wildly critically and commercially successful in Japan, and, (once a version has been colorized in high contrast and dubbed by British actors the following year) internationally, leading to him going on to direct the sequels as well.

Of course this version of "The Fellowship of the Ring" replaces "The Hidden Fortress" of OTL. A few things which would make it unique:

1. Japanese actors only will be used and the dialog, although very true to the book, is in Japanese unless it comes to words or names in Middle Earth languages (this would be important to Tolkien). Subtitles in the west, of course...

2. While let's just assume the costumes and set designs, etc. turn out similar at least to OTLs Jackson trilogy (while maybe a little more medeival knight-y), there would also be a pretty heavy Asian tilt to them. Kurosawa is the Samurai master after all.

3. The special effects should be outrageous. Like... Wizard of Oz good. Groundbreaking. Lots of Schufftan Process and matte painting and perhaps some tasteful animation? Puppetry could work as well in some cases. The forced perspective thing could occur here right? Thoughts?

My main questions are these:

A. Any ideas as to who the cast would be? Mifune is almost a given in some sort of role, but who? And who else? Feel free to use some of the Hidden Fortress cast if necessary.

B. There would certainly be more interest in an Anglo version if this version takes off in such a big way. How would the Japanese film industry be effected by such a dramatic boost in interest?

C. With such an enormous following in the east, as well as earlier Japanese translations, how does Japanese film and literature evolve with a sudden fascination with high fantasy, a fascination which, to my knowledge did not exist at that time or for quite a while...

and...

D. What are the general long term effects of such a production and what does it look like? How would Kurosawa have pulled off the scenes? How would Sergio Leone or George Lucas (to name two notable fans) have been inspired?

Help me out with some ideas!

I hate to say this but it would probably come out pretty crappy. Not his fault but you can do only so much with 1950s tech. He might be able to pull it off as a completely animated feature. I don't know if he ever did any of those.

Falkenburg: See, this is why I'm torn between utterly awesome and utterly fail. Mifune as Aragorn could either be fantastic or completely off.

Did he ever do any characters remotely like Aragorn? In the sense, kingly and all.

That's the area I'm wary of. Otherwise, I think he'd be excellent. I think he'd fit the fight scenes better than Viggo, when those come up, for instance.

And remind me, which one is Takashi Shimura?

Been too long since I've seen Seven Samurai.

I hate to say this but it would probably come out pretty crappy. Not his fault but you can do only so much with 1950s tech. He might be able to pull it off as a completely animated feature. I don't know if he ever did any of those.

How much do you need to be able to do to do LotR?

Its not a particularly high special effects kind of tale, since we don't - for instance- really see the Gandalf-Balrog duel.

He would have to pull off the transformation to being kinly later, but Aragon is supposed to be scruffy and dubious and maybe a little bitter at first.

He would have to pull off the transformation to being kinly later, but Aragon is supposed to be scruffy and dubious and maybe a little bitter at first.

Aragorn "looks foul and feels fair."

The Ronin is generally scuffy and dubious all through. Not as bad as he might want you to think he is, but there's a difference between how Aragorn appears to be to the Men of Bree who are ignorant of what he is and what he's been doing and how The Ronin really does deserve to be seen in that light.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Elfwine,

Mifune has a stillness and lethal grace that that could bring tremendous vitality to the character of Aragorn (IMHO).

Have you seen Sanjuro? Imagine that explosion of swordsmanship unleashed against Orcs.

I grew to like Vigo in Jacksons' version but he was never quite 'there' for me.

Takashi Shimura led the Seven Samurai as Kambei (IIRC).
He had a dignity and presence too often overlooked. Not to mention a mischievous twinkle that Sir Ian captured to a tee in J-LOTR.

Falkenburg

The Japanese obsession with blond hair comes early as well.

If it's a runaway success, I could see Tolkien anxious to give the go ahead on a proper British "remake", so to speak, although, Kubrik may still be approached in the event that Tolkien still goes with United Artists.

Kurosawa's popularity in the west increases exponentially and that may become a factor once he leaves Toho. Maybe he visits America to promote the Two Towers in 1960 where his earlier work is just as appreciated as his Anglo-Japanese high fantasy and spends some time on the set of the Magnificent Seven, enjoying the experience and learning quite a lot from it.

Between productions of his epic Lord of the Rings trilogy, he still directs Yojimbo or something like it, and it is still eventually made into A Fistful of Dollars or something like it by Sergio Leone.

Meanwhile, the Japanese youth obsession with the west and all things British in particular comes to a riotous peak when the Beatles arrive in Japan. The band takes note on why the Japanese are so in love with Britain...

In 1966, Kurosawa is invited by Leone to meet on the subject of doing a film together in Italy. Kurosawa is reluctant at first, but is admittedly a fan of Leone's adaptations of his own work and agrees to meet. Leone wants to make a spaghetti western loosely based on the Fellowship, but Kurosawa wants to finally make The Hidden Fortress as a true "Eastern".

Paramount is offering Leone access to Henry Fonda for an American budgeted Spaghetti but the two cannot reach an agreement on which project to do. Finally, a compromise is reached and an East Meets West type script treatment is developed from the Hidden Fortress and the Fellowship ideas. Mysticism instead of magic, six guns instead of swords, but still an Asian lead actor is preferred.

Before the final draft is written, Bruce Lee, who is known as Kato in The Green Hornet becomes involved as the possible lead and begins to give suggestions to the script, combining the gunslinging samurai concept with a Chinese Kung Fu film application. Bruce Lee plays a western priest on an epic quest. Henry Fonda rather uncharacteristically plays the villain. "Once Upon A Time In The West",a Rice/Spaghetti Western made with American money is born. The film is mostly "The Hidden Fortress" as a western, but with some elements of the Fellowship. It's also perhaps the grittiest film either director ever made...

Bruce Lee becomes a rice western star and remains an icon throughout the rest of his long life.

IOTL, Star Wars was, among other things, principally adapted from Kurosawa films and Tolkien's books. Here, the two are combined and I can definitely see Star Wars turning out to be pretty much The Lord of the Rings in Space. If Lucas becomes a fan of TTL's OUATITW, I can see Star Wars being a little grittier, even more mystical, and probably more "medieval/western sword and gun slinger" than OTL's version.

Just some ideas I had. What about you?

Long term effects of Kurosawa doing LotR? GO!

IOTL, Star Wars was, among other things, principally adapted from Kurosawa films and Tolkien's books.

Not quite. On a conceptual level the Jedi were inspired by Japenese Samurai, which is why Lucas gave Obi-wan a Japenese sounding name and originally wanted to cast Toshira Mifune and Obi-wan, but the tone of Star Wars, and the pace of the story telling, were heavily influenced by Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

Not quite. On a conceptual level the Jedi were inspired by Japenese Samurai, which is why Lucas gave Obi-wan a Japenese sounding name and originally wanted to cast Toshira Mifune and Obi-wan, but the tone of Star Wars, and the pace of the story telling, were heavily influenced by Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

Actually, it's more than that. The filmmaking itself is Kurosawa lite through and through, just look at the wipes.

The science fiction elements are Flash Gordon as is the episodic nature of the writing, but Star Wars resembles a Campbellian Tolkien story through the lens of Kurosawa filmmaking with heavy eastern influence through and through.

How well do you think The Lord of the Rings would respond to being easternised though. It contains a huge amount of themes such as the vaguely christian nature of parts of it and the many traditional western fairytale motifs that a Japanese Director might miss. The combination might prove uniquely brilliant but I am afraid it would more likely prove a somewhat awkward combination.

How well do you think The Lord of the Rings would respond to being easternised though. It contains a huge amount of themes such as the vaguely christian nature of parts of it and the many traditional western fairytale motifs that a Japanese Director might miss. The combination might prove uniquely brilliant but I am afraid it would more likely prove a somewhat awkward combination.

While this is possible, I'm looking at it from the perspective that it works and works well. How do you think it would look? What are the cultural and cinematic effects of such a thing?

Elfwine,

Mifune has a stillness and lethal grace that that could bring tremendous vitality to the character of Aragorn (IMHO).

Have you seen Sanjuro? Imagine that explosion of swordsmanship unleashed against Orcs.

Can't quite remember the title, but I've seen several movies with him it. He definitely did swordsmanship quite excellently.

His opponents look like they don't stand a chance.

I grew to like Vigo in Jacksons' version but he was never quite 'there' for me.

There's something missing about him. He's a fine actor, he does some things (as Aragorn) well...but he's missing something.

Takashi Shimura led the Seven Samurai as Kambei (IIRC).
He had a dignity and presence too often overlooked. Not to mention a mischievous twinkle that Sir Ian captured to a tee in J-LOTR.

Falkenburg

A very necessary combination - dignity and presence, but also a mischievous twinkle.

So I'm happy with your choices if you think Mifune is up to the kingly parts of Aragorn as well as the scruffy Ranger. :D

On that note, Mifune's Ronin Facial Hair is probably perfect for Aragorn the Ranger. It looks appropriately unkempt. Viggo looks a little too well groomed in his stubble.

TheInfiniteApe said:
While this is possible, I'm looking at it from the perspective that it works and works well. How do you think it would look? What are the cultural and cinematic effects of such a thing?

Running with that - I think we get more examples of this sort of movie. Which is to say, other movies (like Star Wars) become influenced by this combination of things, rather than just Kurosawa or just LotR on their own.

That may or may not have an effect on fantasy novels as well - that could be interesting.

It probably has some interesting effects on the development of Japanese movies, but I don't know exactly what (not familiar with other directors, at all...). But this being a booming success no doubt inspires interest in more Western-style things.

Possibly more black and white movies? This is into the age of color, but the idea of black and white as a style might catch more western audiences.

I'm also a huge Kurosawa fan, and I do love LotR -- but I'm among the crowd that has trouble seeing this work.

And another thing -- you need to do is have a PoD where Kurosawa doesn't just read the trilogy (and it does has to be late 50's at earliest), but also spend subsequent years obsessing over the details. Kurosawa was really obsessive about doing the prep work for his more ambitious films, and a project like this could easily take a quarter century from the time Akira reads the novels...

Bumping the Kurosawa-LotR awesomeness.

I'm also a huge Kurosawa fan, and I do love LotR -- but I'm among the crowd that has trouble seeing this work.

And another thing -- you need to do is have a PoD where Kurosawa doesn't just read the trilogy (and it does has to be late 50's at earliest), but also spend subsequent years obsessing over the details. Kurosawa was really obsessive about doing the prep work for his more ambitious films, and a project like this could easily take a quarter century from the time Akira reads the novels...

Well, a lot of the prep work has been done for him and although "The Fellowship" is a resounding success, he's rushed into it and got lucky with the quality of the film. He probably doesn't even realize it's going to be successful which is why he's so quick to convince Tanaka to co-produce.

Once it's an enormous revolutionary success, however, is when he begins doing the research for "The Towers" and "The King".

How long do you think it would be before an "Anglo" version is commissioned and produced, and who might be involved?