WI: Domestication of Apios Americana

I wonder if the Mexica would have gone north and taken over the Mississippi. But it would create a lot of butterflies which could potential eliminate the Aztec Empire all together. Either that or they could have developed separately from Mesoamerica like the Inca did.

Out of curiosity would sweet potatoes be easier?

I wonder if the Mexica would have gone north and taken over the Mississippi. But it would create a lot of butterflies which could potential eliminate the Aztec Empire all together. Either that or they could have developed separately from Mesoamerica like the Inca did.

Out of curiosity would sweet potatoes be easier?

The Uto-Aztecan speaking people did migrate north into the great Basin as well as south into central Mexico, so it might be possible for the Mexica or another people like them to migrate towards a large sedentary society, if one forms. If they do migrate it means that the Nahuatl speaking cultures that rose to power in central Mexico might never arise meaning that we might see greater Myanized Mexico rather than a Mexicanized Maya that we see in OTL.

Edit: also Sweet Potatoes would be easier, but they didn't have the range for them to affect Eastern North America.

I never understood why they weren't domesticated.
The only thing I can think of is that in places where they existed they were so common and easy to get it was never seen as worth the trouble.
If it was domesticated it would probably help form a larger population in North America especially along the Mississippi. And with an easy to grow food, it could stop an early collapse of the Mississippi culture that occurred at the end of the woodland era.

What if during the late North American Archaic period and early Formative period the "Indian potato", Apios Americana, was domesticated by Native Americans? How would the addition of a this perrenial crop affected the adoption of sedentary life amongst the native people's of Eastern North America? How might this affect the development of the Formative Adena, Old Copper, Oasisamerica,Woodland, and Mississippian cultures?

I say Eastern North American may have reached same level has Mesoamerica was at in 1492. But if there is open contact between North American and Mesoamerica I'll the bronze age level.

If Apios Americana domesticated it's likely the whole Eastern Agricultural Complex may be fully develop .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Agricultural_Complex

Indian potatoes + maize will be a formidable food package, it might have a booster effect on other regions. AFAIK one of the reasons Mississippian civilization collapsed was due to over-use of maize, this should avoid that. I agree with others, another centre of civilization, in contact with Mesoamerica, should bump the New World up to bronze age level in both areas.

This would likely lead too more conquistadorial attention in North America, and later a Spanish-speaking mestizo Mississippi region and all that that entails.

Indian potatoes + maize will be a formidable food package, it might have a booster effect on other regions. AFAIK one of the reasons Mississippian civilization collapsed was due to over-use of maize, this should avoid that. I agree with others, another centre of civilization, in contact with Mesoamerica, should bump the New World up to bronze age level in both areas.
There was also an earlier collapse shortly before Maize appeared, that archeologists believed occurred from over population and a limited food supply. So this domestication could prevent both of them.

I say Eastern North American may have reached same level has Mesoamerica was at in 1492. But if there is open contact between North American and Mesoamerica I'll the bronze age level.

If if spreads to the western great lakes we might see a revitalization of Old Copper Complex and a second rise in copper tools in the region. The region doesn't have tin so we won't see the kind of stone work that we see in other Formative level cultures. We may not see a Bronze Age, unless the figure out how to make arsenical bronze. If any of the theoretical civilizations develop arsenical bronze it could be possible that we see a North American Bronze Age by the time contact is made by the Old World. The cities of the cultures likely won't be of stone like their South American counter parts and will likely be more like a larger version Kincaid Site.

If Apios Americana domesticated it's likely the whole Eastern Agricultural Complex may be fully develop .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Agricultural_Complex

I agree, with Maize and the Indian potatoe domesticated things like the American Hazelnut will likely also be cultivated and with their domestication we will likely see the domestication of birds like the Ruffed Grouse and the Turkey. With the addition of a second founder crop it is all too likely that the Eastern Agricultural Complex will be fully developed allowing for larger sedentary cities that would foster the further development of North American civilization.

This would likely lead too more conquistadorial attention in North America, and later a Spanish-speaking mestizo Mississippi region and all that that entails.

Would the Spanish put as much effort into the conquest of a North American civilization though? They would have to travel farther inland than they had to in Central and South America; they wouldn't have the level of gold wealth that their Central and South American counterparts did.

With this much stronger food package I think it's very likely that North America would reach there own Bronze Age. With the stronger food package there be more time try new things. I agree, Arsenical bronze would be type developed.

The Spanish were after easy money so it's likely there main focus would still be in the Caribbean and Central and South America. But maybe John Cabot voyages would develop into something more for the English. Maybe French get in the game earlier. I see the Portuguese staying down Brazil.

Not to go all Jared Diamond, but with bigger populations, you greatly increase the infection vectors (more people plus increased contact with other big population groups).

With a larger, more interconnected NA population there is a very high likelihood that when the Europeans come back from their first voyages they are going to be bringing back a very nasty surprise.

Not to go all Jared Diamond, but with bigger populations, you greatly increase the infection vectors (more people plus increased contact with other big population groups).

With a larger, more interconnected NA population there is a very high likelihood that when the Europeans come back from their first voyages they are going to be bringing back a very nasty surprise.

Yes, there would be some increase in infection vectors but without an large numbers of domestic animals it would limited number of infectious diseases. I see the Old World death rate close to the Spanish flu level.

Yes, there would be some increase in infection vectors but without an large numbers of domestic animals it would limited number of infectious diseases. I see the Old World death rate close to the Spanish flu level.

Considering that it would likely be a form of avian flu similar to H5N1 it might not be as deadly as the Spanish Flu. It likely wouldn't be able to spread human to human.