A Looser Union

This'll be a rather irregular TL, based off some musings in a thread I was reading. The Constitutional Convention will be very different, and the Union will evolve into a much looser state. The majority of updates will be on America, and updates to places external of America will be less in depth, and more butterflies.

Enjoy!

Hmm I see a less adventurous America. The Natives and Mexico might fare better if they eastern states are less obligated to support expansion. We might see successful secessions as well.

Hmm I see a less adventurous America. The Natives and Mexico might fare better if they eastern states are less obligated to support expansion. We might see successful secessions as well.

That is sort of what I am planning. They will be capable of fighting defensive and internal wars, but wars of conquest will be a no go. So long as enough states support it, however, they ought to be able to purchase land.

The Constitutional Convention

Anti-Federalists dominated the Convention. Alexander Hamilton was indisposed, taken with a fever, as had John Adams. Washington was unconvinced by calls for him to go to the Convention in Philadelphia, and spent most of the rest of his life building up his land holding in the western frontier of Virginia.

If these three personalities, described by Jefferson as demi-gods, had appeared at the Convention, who can know what America would be now? A Federal Republic, a military superpower, and industrial juggernaut? We can't guess. But their absence changed the nature of debate inextricably.

Ultimately, the Constitution is an amended form of the earlier Articles of Confederation, and to this day the separate states remain independent republics. Trade restrictions were removed, and foreign policy placed firmly under the control of the Federal government, along with powers to enforce taxation, and pan-American lawmaking capacity. The militias of each state were maintained, and the navy remained a Federal force. Every day lawmaking was left to the states, as was taxation.

Congress was a bicameral legislature, with the lower house being a States Senate composed of 2-7 representatives elected from each of the states, and the upper house being a Federal Committee directly elected by the people. The Federal Committee puts forward a number of candidates, one of whom is selected by the States Senate to be President, who then serves a term of four years. The President has the power to select a Cabinet, and appoint members of the Federal Courts. The Federal Courts judged whether laws passed by the state legislatures were legal, and settled disputes over land.

The President goes to the Federal Committee to propose subsidies, for example for more battleships. If this is approved by the Federal Committee, it is taken to the States Senate, who decide whether to approve the subsidy. Congress and the Federal Courts, then have the power to enforce the payment of these subsidies.

Ultimately, the introduction of the amended Articles of Confederation put Thomas Jefferson's Republican Party in an excellent position. Its decentralised mode of government was popular with the common man, particularly south of the Delaware. However the denizens of New England and to a certain extent New York and Pennsylvania were less happy. In an attempt to unite the otherwise disparate Federalist groups, an unofficial 'Provincial Government' for New England was founded, with representatives from each state. This Provincial Government was able to unite Federalist opposition in New England and was so successful that the Supreme Court agreed to create territories from the Northwest Ordinance from New England claims, most importantly the Upper Connecticut Territory.

The success of uniting common causes and cultures was observed by the politicians of other regions and it wasn't long before every state was sending representatives to a Provincial Government. Many fell by the wayside before the current Provincial system emerged. Maryland and Delaware joined a Virginian Provincial Government, in the hopes of cutting out their own claims further west. These colonies were brought together by their moderate Anglicanism, and Planter slaver aristocracy which the Provincial Government sought to preserve. The Mid-Atlantic States of New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey hoped to resist aristocratic slavery in the south and New Englander expansionism in the north. The 'Province of Greater Pennsylvania' also succeeded in acquiring western claims in the Ohio Country which locked out states like New Jersey and Pennsylvania were particularly pleased about. Finally the more radical, Protestant slavers of the Carolinas and Georgia allied as a Province in an attempt to preserve the institution of slavery against the indignancy of the North and to resist the aristocratic tendencies of their Virginian neighbours.

Last edited:
It looks very interesting so far!

So the president appoints the Federal courts. The courts judge if the laws passed are legal, but the President and Cabinet would probably have a majority in the legislature, so they would control which laws would pass or not. This actually makes the president able to let all his laws pass, even if they are not legal

One of the most troublesome issues in the dawning days of the United States was boundary disputes. While most of them were agreed amicably, their legacy was remembered by some, who set up their own unofficial state legislatures and sent representatives to their Provincial governments. Foremost among these was Westmoreland in northern Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Franklinia in North Carolina, and Yazoo in Georgia. Lesser examples include New Plymouth and Kentucky. Up until the crises of the Anglo-American War, the old assumption that south of the Ohio the states would extend their claims west would continue to exist.

One of the more spurious creations of this era was the invention of New Plymouth. The success of the New England Provincial Government had given Connecticut their claims on the Ohio Country. However, this put the area north of Upper Connecticut in a particularly uncomfortable position. It was claimed by New York, Massachusetts and even more oddly New Hampshire. Ultimately, New York joined Greater Pennsylvania, and their claims to the Maritime Ohio was dropped. New Hampshire was bullied by the stronger state of Massachusetts into dropping their claims on the territory, and in Boston the remaining chunk of the Ohio Country was reorganised as New Plymouth.

Last edited:
It looks very interesting so far!

So the president appoints the Federal courts. The courts judge if the laws passed are legal, but the President and Cabinet would probably have a majority in the legislature, so they would control which laws would pass or not. This actually makes the president able to let all his laws pass, even if they are not legal

I'm glad someone's watching! Basically I was aiming towards a more Parliamentarian form of Congress.

Mr. Mumby,

I always like an early American Republic timeline so I will watch your efforts with great interest. Not to be too pedantic, but I have a few comments:
1. No need for a fever to prevent AH and JA from missing the Federal Convention. JA was in London as U.S. minister and missed the entire thing. AH was there in the beginning, was ignored by the other delegates, left and only came back at the end at GW's request.
2. The real work at the convention was done by James Madison, Edmund Randolph, James Wilson, Roger Sherman and Govenour Morris. GW was absolutley indispensible because his mere presence gave the effort legitimacy and because of his efforts both inside and outsdie the hall to keep things moving. If, as you suggest, GW cannot be convinced to attend, there is a great possibility than nothing will be accomplished or whatever is produced fails to be ratified.
3. Any "amend the Articles of Confederation" scenario must deal with the basic problem that the Artcles required unanimous approval of any amendment and Rhode Island had refused on numerous occassions to approve any amendment that even hinted at direct federal taxation.or import duties. Just to show that they really meant it, in OTL RI refused to ratify the Constitution for over two years after GW was inaugurated. I would like to see how you deal with this problem.
4. The Republican Party of Jefferson and Madison was a post Constitution (and even post First Congress) development and was largely a response to AH's financial and political program. Without a Federal Constitution and without AH's program I don't think TJ and JM begin to form an opposition party.
5. I thought the various land claims of the States which you talk about had been resolved by the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 adopted by the Confederation Congress. Is this understanding incorrect?
6. I think the alternative governmental structure you set out is a bit overly complicated. But that may just be me. Perhaps you can explain why the alt Convention doe not simply adopt some form of representaion by population for the Confederation Congress.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Your obedient servant

It is good to see your questions Mr Hamilton, and I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner.

1. It is probably a mistake of mine, but I was under the impression that Franklin was the minister to London? I'll try and alter things accordingly.
2. I was a little more optimistic, but if it is only GW was the only man not present, it may still result in my scenario.
3. I did not know that! That'll be very interesting to poke in somewhere.

Since I'm on my phone there is an oppressive word limit so I'll move on.

4. True, but TJ and JM have if you like won the Constitutional Convention and they had worked together on the Northwest Ordinance so they may well form their own party which will put them, not Adams Hamilton and Washington as the formative leaders of the Republic.
5. The Northwest Ordinance was an attempt by JM and TJ to remove the area from Virginia and New York's influence and create slavery free states within the Confederation. This will still happen, but within the Provincial Government system.

6. I believe I mentioned that each state sends 2-7 representatives to the State Senate. Larger states like Virginia will get seven while smaller ones like Connecticut will receive two. If it is the Provincial Governments which seem complex, then think of them as political parties which operate on the local level, advising Senators on what issues to bring up at Congress and drumming up support legislation on the state level. They're not really a government at the moment.

Thank you for your questions.

The Northwest Ordinance had been organised by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, now the leading lights of the Republican Party. Jefferson's intention was that the Ohio Country should be populated with free soil republics with no black presence. The Ordinance's true legacy was the precedent set for the admittance of new states, the first from the Old Northwest being Vandalia, former Virginian Ohio.

Soon to follow was the creation of numerous territories, to be chopped into states at the Federal Government's convenience. Territories created at this time were: Yazoo, Franklinia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, Upper Connecticut and New Plymouth. While the first four entered the union as states with little alteration of their territorial borders, the last three would be altered and divided before admittance. This pu the south ahead of the north in terms of states, at least at first.

Last edited:
The Presidential Election of 1789

1789 was the first presidential election held under the Amended Articles of Confederation. Two distinct groups had emerged from the Constitutional Convention, but New England's internal torment over whether or not to ratify the amendments virtually ensured that there was only one possible outcome. Thomas Jefferson, with James Madison as his Vice-President, became the first President of the United States of America, with his Republican Party singing his praises.

The New England states quickly ratified the Constitution, not wanting to be locked out of discussion in the new Confederation. All, except Rhode Island. The tiny state refused to acknowledge any Articles which permitted federal taxes. Jefferson and the Republicans were willing to negotiate with the Rhode Islanders, just as they were willing to negotiate with Vermont. But New England wasn't having any of it. They needed as many New Englanders as they could get their hands on. So they threatened Rhode Island with sanctions if they didn't comply. This decision was made by Alexander Hamilton, leading light of the Federalists and then Chairman of the New England Provincial Government. Rhode Island acquiested and ratified the Constitution.

Jefferson's first act was to then bring Vermont into the union. A disputed area between New Hampshire and New York, Jefferson and the Supreme Court ultimately forced both sides to back down and brought Vermont into the union as a state. Vermont would remain a Republican stronghold for many years to come.

The most interesting thing about the Presidential election of 1789 was that the Amended Artcles had no mention of how elections were to be carried out and left it to the states to decide. Similar systems existed across each province, due to similar cultural and social values.
The Province of Carolina had unicameral legislatures, though it did have a certain proportion of life seats given to exceptional men. Blacks, Indians without tax and women were prohibited from voting. In Georgia and South Carolina there was some representation from the Five Civilised Tribes. Each legislature appointed three Electors who then chose the representatives for the State Senate.
Virginia and the states in its Province, had bicameral legislatures with a House of Burgesses as the lower house composed of directly elected representaives from the counties and boroughs and a House of Gentry as the Upper House composed of men selected by the Governor of the state, for services to the state or the Confederation, usually og high social status. It was the House of Gentry who selected the men who could stand for election to the state senate, one of whom was then chosen by the people of the state. Women, Indians, Blacks, and men with less 50 acres of land or its equivalent in value were prohibited from voting. With later events, the Province of Virginia became even more aritocratic.
Pennsylvania was far more egalitarian, with a bicameral legislature composed of the House of Burgesses (again) and the House of State as the upper house. Both were entirely elected from the people. Five seats were set aside as life seats for those who had served the state in exceptional fashion. Only in New Jersey was the female vote allowed. Enslaved blacks and Indians without tax were prohibited from voting. There was Universal Male Suffrage. In New York there ten seats set aside for Burghers. A throwback to their Dutch heritage, the New Yorkers had a Burgher who served for life from one of the ten biggest cities in the state. The members for the State Senate would put themselves forward to the people and were elected independently of the state legislature.
New England had a lot of corporate interests, and state trading corporations had seats on the upper house in a similar fashions to the aristocrats of the south. The lower houses had universal manhood suffrage. Blacks, Indians without tax and women were prohibited from voting. Members of the State Senate were selected by the state legislatures from a shortlist put forwards in an election by the people.

The Federal Committee was elected nationally, with propsective members standing to be chosen. Blacks, Indians without tax, women, and people born outside of the United States at the time of Great Britain recognising the United States in 1783 were all prohibited from voting in elections to the Federal Committee.

Last edited:
President Jefferson's First Term (1789-1793)

Jefferson's Presidency as a whole has influenced many major traditions in the United States, and more than that Jeffersonian democracy is the founding principle of the nation's economics and politics. But it is in his first term that many of the policies which would dominate his Presidency and those of his successors was born.
From the admittance of new states in the west, and the prohibition of the institution of slavery north of Virginian Ohio, to the attempt at neutrality in the wars between Britain and France at the end of the 19th century, Jefferson's policies dominated and defined the nation, then and now.
However, Jefferson's time in office lead to a number of inconsistencies and conflicts which would emerge later. His confusion over slavery and the position of African-Americans in society and its clash with Enlightenment ideals fed into tensions between the North and the South.
But the most important event, or properly most important man, was his Vice-President. James Madison was his Vice-President for the first three years of his term, but Aaron Burr stepped up to the plate when Madison went to France to oversee discussions over the Louisiana Purchase. Burr and Jefferson did not get on well. Jefferson thought of Burr as overly ambitious and radical, while Burr thought of Jefferson as stuffy and hypocritical. Neither were afraid to say so, and when Madison returned shortly after the Presidential election of 1793, Burr was forced out of office.
This humiliation would be something all Americans would come to regret. If Burr's ambition could not be sated in the United States, he would just have to look further south...

T_Jefferson_by_Charles_Willson_Peale_1791_2.jpg

Last edited:
One wonders if the Federal government is strong enough to, say, enforce fugitive slave laws?

Bruce

The Provincial 'governments' are important on matters such as these. They are less of a government, more of a liaison between states with similar values and cultures. The states will pool their resources in a common cause. However, the Ohio Country is Jefferson's pet project and will largely try and keep blacks out, whether they are slaves or not.

Oh dear. It would seem that in my excitement, I have written about Jeffersons second term, rather than his first.

Mexico, possibly. The natives are probably worse, because now the settlers feel more threatened so they will routinely engage in extermination. Think a King Phillips war rolling ever westward.