Sadat's War

21 July 1977
A Libyan Division approaches sleeping Egyptian guards as it moves along the coast. Gaddafi, furious at Egyptian president Anwar al Sadat, has ordered his army to cross the Egyptian border to raid coastal Egyptian towns. Very soon, a sentry shakes the Egyptain generals at Sollum awake. He has just spotted a Libyan tank approaching the border. The generals quickly throw all their tanks against the advancing Libyan army, while begging Sadat for more. The six Libyan tanks clash wit hthe eight Egyptians; all but two are destroyed, and the Libyans pursued back over teh border.
23 July 1977
Sadat meets with other leaders of Arab countries. Many persuade him to drop his plans for a full-scale invasion of LIbya, but Sadat stubbornly persists. "I will not back down in my moment of glory," he declares, and asks his country's military to prepare for a full-scale war.
26 July 1977
The invasion commences. The Egyptian First and Second Field Armies storm across the border, the 1st and 2nd Corps of the First Field Army, combined with the elite Republican Guard Corps, smash their way through northern Cyrenaica, the entire Second Field Army attacks the valuable Cyrenaica oilfields in the south, and the 3rd Corps attack the middle of the border. The Egyotian Air Force bombards Gaddafi's tank formations, while the Egyptian Navy shells the cities of Damah and Tobruk.
27 July 1977
Tobruk is encircled by the 1st Corps early in the morning. Damah is put under siege mere hours later. Libyan forces in these cities now face a bloody siege.
28 July 1977
The Republican Guard Corps capture Ajdabiya on the coast. Gaddafi's forces are now trapped in a pocket consisting of little more than the city of Benghazi, with much of the rest of his army holed up in the cities of northern Cyrenaica. Meanwhile, the Second Field ARmy rolls steadily on, past the oilfields, towards the prize of Sabha. If Sabha falls, the road will be open to Tripoli, the greatest prize of all.
30 July 1977
Chad, already at war with Libya, takes advantage of the situation and invades southern Libya, making rapid progress around and behind the remnants of the Libyan army. By noon, they and the Egyptians have surrounded Sabha and are bombarding the city.
31 July 1977
At 1:15 A.M., while under air attack, the people of Damah raise the white flag and surrender to Egypt. Late that afternoon, Sabha falls, and the Egyptian Second FIeld Army finds tens of thousands of tons of yellowcake, along with the mostly-intact Jamahiriya Uranium Works.
2 August 1977
Tobruk falls and the soldiers in Benghazi, realizing the situation is hopeless, surrender - they have been hit so hard by Egyptian air attack that they now control only a few buildings in the center of the city. The Egyptian FIrst Field Army controls the rest. Gaddafi finally realizes that the situation is hopeless. At two o'clock in the afternoon, he declares a general ceasefire, ending the Libyan-Egyptian War, which will become much more commonly known as the Twelve-Day War.
15 August 1977
Delegates from the victorious states, Egypt and Chad, meet to discuss the terms of the final peace treaty. Libyan representatives are kept inside the room and are listened to, but their concerns are only acted upon if the victorious powers consider them worth attention.
1 September 1977
The Treaty of Benghazi is signed. Egypt gains all of Cyrenaica, as well as the eastern Sirtica (everything east of the halfway point between Ra's Lanuf and Ben Jawad). Chad gains the southern Fezzan. Tripolitania and the Fezzan from Sabha north remain Libyan, but the Libyan rump state must pay 2,000,000 Libyan dinar (USD 1,607,410) a year for the forseeable future. In a hint of what may be to come, Egypt also receives the entire captured Jamahiriya Uranium Works.

Last edited:
I don't think an Egyptian-Libyan War would've ended up with the annexation of the entire region of Cyrenaica. Its just pretty ASB.

Well, given how badly OTL Libya did against Egypt even without an invasion, I'd say that Egypt would do so well as to get that much at least, and it would be rather hard for Libya to dislodge them. It kind of reminds me of the Soviet invasion of Manchuria, where they were fighting so much on a different front (there, the Pacific; here, Chad) that they neglected to adequately defend what was actually going to be attacked (there, Manchuria; here, Cyrenaica).

"ASB"?

Well, given how badly OTL Libya did against Egypt even without an invasion, I'd say that Egypt would do so well as to get that much at least, and it would be rather hard for Libya to dislodge them. It kind of reminds me of the Soviet invasion of Manchuria, where they were fighting so much on a different front (there, the Pacific; here, Chad) that they neglected to adequately defend what was actually going to be attacked (there, Manchuria; here, Cyrenaica).

"ASB"?

Alien Space Bats, I take it your new here. But your missing my point. Its not a matter of if they could do it, but why would they do it? Whats the point? Why take that many rebellious people under your control?

Well, IOTL Sadat was planning to invade Libya, and it was only the words of other Arab leaders which stopped him. ITTL, Sadat acts a bit more stubborn, ignores their advice, and conquers half of Libya as a result.

Well, IOTL Sadat was planning to invade Libya, and it was only the words of other Arab leaders which stopped him. ITTL, Sadat acts a bit more stubborn, ignores their advice, and conquers half of Libya as a result.

That may be true, but I highly doubt he intended to annex any part of it. His most likely motivation was to take Gadaffi out of power.

Yeah I mean ITTL - and what the hell is he going to care what they think, there's oil, there's uranium, and he has a much better army than Gaddafi did and he'll have NO trouble smashing any rebellion.

Yeah I mean ITTL - and what the hell is he going to care what they think, there's oil, there's uranium, and he has a much better army than Gaddafi did and he'll have NO trouble smashing any rebellion.

Hmmm.... sure the first one. And then the second one. And then the third one. And then..... More and more Egyptian soldiers go home in body bags. Libyan nationalism in the Cyrenaica goes up and al-Sadat won't last long if the military doesn't think he can control the population.

Hmmm.... sure the first one. And then the second one. And then the third one. And then..... More and more Egyptian soldiers go home in body bags. Libyan nationalism in the Cyrenaica goes up and al-Sadat won't last long if the military doesn't think he can control the population.

hmmm, but he will WANT the uranium and oil....

Well Sadat could always proclaim the Free and Independent Republic of Cyrenaica with an Egyptian Paul bremer in charge. "The oilfields and uranium mines have been sold to Egyptian companies for your own good". Invite the then current pretender to the Libyan throne to become head of state.

Well Sadat could always proclaim the Free and Independent Republic of Cyrenaica with an Egyptian Paul bremer in charge. "The oilfields and uranium mines have been sold to Egyptian companies for your own good". Invite the then current pretender to the Libyan throne to become head of state.

That would make sense. Especially considering that Cyrenaica is Libya's center for Pro-Monarchist sentiment. Outright annexation makes no sense.

what about pan-Arabism? I know it declined after Nasser, but how powerful would pan-Arabism be in this scenario? The Egyptians would still have some issues with the tribes, but they could hold it if they annexed it (It's not hard, just control the coastal cities and RGOs, they're all that really matter in Libya.

I think it's fairly plausible. Egypt can easily hold Cyrenaica, it has a very small population, and if Egyptians migrate to cities in Cyrenaica, the natives will be a minority in 20 years.
What this effect will have on Egypt, firstly Egypt will have bad relations with most Arab countries, for a time but will proably normalize relations with pro-western states like Saudi arabia in a few years.

I think it's fairly plausible. Egypt can easily hold Cyrenaica, it has a very small population, and if Egyptians migrate to cities in Cyrenaica, the natives will be a minority in 20 years.
What this effect will have on Egypt, firstly Egypt will have bad relations with most Arab countries, for a time but will proably normalize relations with pro-western states like Saudi arabia in a few years.

And Sadat was an outcast in the Arab world anyway after the Camp David Accords. It probably wouldn't worry him much.

TheKinkster

Banned
Any effort by Egypt to seize Libyan nuclear resources in this timeframe will only be putting out the "Please attack me, I want to get my ass kicked" sign for Israel, who would have obliged--they wouldn't sit idly by and watch the Egyptians seize resources they could use towards a nuclear program.

Any effort by Egypt to seize Libyan nuclear resources in this timeframe will only be putting out the "Please attack me, I want to get my ass kicked" sign for Israel, who would have obliged--they wouldn't sit idly by and watch the Egyptians seize resources they could use towards a nuclear program.
In that case, Israel would be seen as the aggressor, and other countries would have condemned them (and imposed trade sanctions etc.)
Also Egypt could always move them into Cyrenaica out of reach.
Actually, I was planning to have the northern half of Egyptian Cyrenaica become independent (everything north of the 25th parallel) but have everything south of that stay Egyptian. And the current (at the time) pretender to the Libya nthrone was Hasan as-Senussi, or King Hasan I.

TheKinkster

Banned
Israel saw at the time, and still does, any attempt by their enemies to develop or acquire nuclear weaponry as an existential threat. Cyrenaica wouldn't have been out of range of their air force, or of Israeli atomic bombs if that was what it took.