Could the Congolese people go Extinct? What then?

I was watching a documentary about the brutality of King Leopold's Congo. One thing that stood out to me was a quotation by a news reporter from the time, who said that if Leopold continued his actions, the Congolese people would become extinct within 20 years.

Say Leopold lives longer and doesn't give up the Congo. Could that actually happen? What would end up happening to the colony if it didn't have any people? A League of Nations Nature Preserve?

I was watching a documentary about the brutality of King Leopold's Congo. One thing that stood out to me was a quotation by a news reporter from the time, who said that if Leopold continued his actions, the Congolese people would become extinct within 20 years.

Say Leopold lives longer and doesn't give up the Congo. Could that actually happen? What would end up happening to the colony if it didn't have any people? A League of Nations Nature Preserve?

If it were any worse, I'd say it's possible people get more progressive on race a lot sooner. It may have the same effect as the Holocaust did in making racism (for the most part) unacceptable in politics.

If it were any worse, I'd say it's possible people get more progressive on race a lot sooner. It may have the same effect as the Holocaust did in making racism (for the most part) unacceptable in politics.

That sounds about right to me, too.

Half of the Congo's population died under King Leopold. However, he needed somebody to get rubber. I could see over 3/4 dying though.

Half of the Congo's population died under King Leopold. However, he needed somebody to get rubber. I could see over 3/4 dying though.

He could import Indian or Chinese coolie labour, if his original slaves died out.

I feel like Congo would be confiscated from him in any case though.

Might the European Powers - especially the signatories to the Treaty that safeguards Belgian neutrality - pressure Leopold into stopping or at the very least seriously mitigating the nightmare? Perhaps British/German forces from the adjoining colonies militarily intervene and occupy the Congo, thus presenting Leopold with a fait accompli:

1.) it is divided between Germany and Britain; 2.)Germany gets it entirely; 3.) it is divided between Germany, France, and Britain; 4.) France gets it entirely.

France was supposed to get it in the event that Leopold lost it. Obviously that didn't happen IOTL since it went to Belgium.

I could see the French expanding the French Congo, the Germans getting some, and the British getting Katanga however.

If we are talking about the Kongo Ethnic Group, then Angola and the French Congo are in the way.

If it is the Congolese meaning from the Belgian Congo, how could you remove the entire population?

That would be an awesome timeline!

Other people move in.

I disagree I don't see this having much effect, simply due to cultural disconnect between communities. No one is going to immediately care about the genocide of a far off african colony

I disagree I don't see this having much effect, simply due to cultural disconnect between communities. No one is going to immediately care about the genocide of a far off african colony

If you got a good photographer in there at the right time, and got pictures of some atrocities, then the story could get very widely known very quickly.

I think you're misattributing the journalistic attitudes of today to journalists of the past This is the late 1800s and early 1900s

As much as I hate to say it, an effective genocide of native peoples in Africa did happen and was not shocking morally to the people of Europe. Look at what the Germans did to the Herero.

Yeah, I thought maybe people wouldn't care, but I was feeling optimistic. However, the people who were predicting the nation's extinction would give a crap. They could start campaigning for changes in treatment of colonies.

As much as I hate to say it, an effective genocide of native peoples in Africa did happen and was not shocking morally to the people of Europe. Look at what the Germans did to the Herero.

But if the entire indigenous population of a piece of land larger than most European countries looks seriously in danger of being wiped out, someone will give a shit.
Maybe not "let's fight all racism everywhere", but at least "dude, this Leopold guy is fucking insane. He needs to stop doing this"

But if the entire indigenous population of a piece of land larger than most European countries looks seriously in danger of being wiped out, someone will give a shit.
Maybe not "let's fight all racism everywhere", but at least "dude, this Leopold guy is fucking insane. He needs to stop doing this"

You're really giving them way too much credit, he'll just import workers from elsewhere

You're really giving them way too much credit, he'll just import workers from elsewhere

But say one believed in "Anglias oblige" (pardon my bad Latin) - the duty of England to civilize the world.

(Substitute your chosen country) That sort of racist would find the idea of the people being exterminated rather appalling - he'd still be racist, probably, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be shocked and horrified.

On the other hand, someone who is racist in the sense that "The Africans are all just sub-human savages and that's that." probably won't care at all.

But not everyone was #2.

Shameless self-promotion, but in an earlier "Evil Belgian Empire" thread, I posted this scenario:

Ok, so this is my (rather ASB) idea...
------
Basically, the Belgian people, and more importantly the Belgian parliament, get pissed at Leopold for his antics in the Congo, and the parliament delivers an ultimatum: Turn the Free State over to direct state control, or we're removing you as King.

Leopold tries to resist, but ultimately, it turns out that the soldiers can only shoot into the unarmed masses so many times before the army breaks down. Leopold is forced to flee, and soon many royalists and elements of the army follow, a new "Kingdom" is declared, although as the royal family is forced into exile, its more or less of a Regency. Britain and France, eager to remedy the embarassing PR situation involving the Congo, recognize the new government, while the Germans, along with most of Europe, remain insistent that the rightful government be restored...

Meanwhile, finding themselves mostly pariahs, the Royalist faction heads for the Free State, and soon settles itself in, declaring Leopoldsville as the capital of the "Kingdom of Belgium-Congo". The Force Publique, not eager to be tried for "crimes against the subjects of Belgium", agrees to support the new kingdom. Leopold, now finding himself in control of a few thousand new subjects, agrees to set up a new system of "reclamation" in the Congo. The country is essentially feudalized, as the Force Publique are unleashed as a new sort of warrior-caste on the native peoples, clearing whole swathes of the country of any human life, and resettling it with new, white-ruled territories given grandiose titles of royalty. Those native Africans that survive are either turned into slave labor (Slavery is put into law as the "performance of racial duties") or simply exterminated as being a waste of resources. Naturally the death tolls in regard to the natives is high, and the new settlers suffer both from tropical diseases and conflict with rebellious tribes.

The Great War breaks out eventually, although this time, the Germans decide to rectify the situation in Europe, and invade Belgium with the intent of "restoring the rightful government of King Leopold". The war has some major changes, the largest being a German victory in Europe and an Allied victory elsewhere. Belgium-Congo ultimately enters the peace conferences as a major victor. Leopold is restored as the rightful king in Brussels (in exchange for some "territorial adjustments" in the favor of the Germans), and even grabs some pieces of French territory as "compensation" for their support of the Regency-era government. In Africa, the British, eager to both continue to have a trade-partner in Europe and in "gratitude" for Leopold's neutrality, gift to him Ruanda and Urundi from the Germans.

Post-war Belgium-Congo (Leopold decides to keep the "kingdoms" separate in order to maintain his personal dominion over the latter) is a bloody place, as the Force Publique perpetrates the same ethnic cleansing in the new African territories, while in Europe, Leopold's iron fist unleashes a new "White Terror" in Belgium which sees hundreds of political opponents and Regency-supporters being executed and tortured. An absolute monarchy, backed by German hegemony, British commerce, and African wealth, Leopold's domains are among the bloodiest in all human history...

While it's unlikely the entire population of the Belgian Congo could be annihilated, under a scenario like this, I could see a world where the reductions were well over 50%, and the surviving Africans would be herded into *Bantustans, which would thus have whatever role the local government saw fit...