A sandwich by another name...

..would taste as good?

So what would sandwiches be known as if the Earl didn't popularise them?

Are there any other food items that could have different names in English?

Would tea be less common than chai?

Hmm? Yes, I didn't say otherwise. :) I'm just saying that just like Sandwich could be called for what it is (bread with something), I'm saying that Hamburger, for instance, could have just been called for what it is: ground meat.

With bread. Lol, I guess, even though the two are kind of unconnected, I see that starting a new trend. Although "Ham Sandwich" sounds better than "Bread and Ham". Or if there were other ingredients would you have to name them too, because when you use Sandwich, it leaves it vague.

One of ex's used to refer to lasagna as layered pasta. Surely a sandwich could be known as layered bread since there is more than one slice being used.

Well, bread slices with butter (and optionally cheese) were referred to as "in the Dutch manner" in late medieval England. The North Germans sometimes called it "Frisian style". Late medieval/Early Modern German adopted the term "Butterbrot" for slices of bread with butter and just about anything else between, and it spread at the very least to Russian. I could see sandwiches being referred to as "Dutch bread" or "butterbrots", (for short "Dutchies" or "'brots"), in English, depending on the time and manner of adoption. Faux conoisseurs of Continental food will insist on pronouncing it with the proper laryngal R and long,open O, and endlessly debate the virtues of mixed grain wholemeal versus Rhenish rye bread and Westphalian ham, but most folk would still be happy with a chicken tikka masala 'brot. Or tuna and sweetcorn. On wonderbread.

It's always damn tuna & sweetcorn. Do you know how hard it is to get a proper tuna sandwich...ahem, butterbrot ;)... that doesn't have those vile yellow stones in it? :mad:

Around here, it's usually mayonnaise. And when I say mayonnaise, I mean the industrial glop that goes by that name. Tuna and sweetcorn seems to be an Anglo thing.

There's a way. Look to other languages for instance- the Swedish for some odd reason call sandwiches butter geese.

I wonder how the World History would be affected if sandwiches werent called sandwiches... :D:D:D:D

Anyway as Dan1988 suggested "Pitas" would be a good alternative...

There's a way. Look to other languages for instance- the Swedish for some odd reason call sandwiches butter geese.

Catalan - "entrepà". "Within bread". Love those words that require no further explanation.

Spanish - "bocadillo". "Little morsel". It is its own little word. "Small morsel" being used to refer to something which has 300g of bread alone, and then a similar amount of contents... is quite the euphemism.

The (modern, common, OTL) Russian word also appears to come from "butterbrot", but it somehow acquired a "d" in the end; that is, "buterbrod" - бутерброд :)