So How Are Your Analogues?

Sure. The alternate me in the Draka TL got enserfed, but massa wasn't smart enough to keep me away from the Fenris bomb, and I activated that muthta!

One of my alternate selves is the grandson of the Premier of the American Soviet Socialsit Republic of Missouri. And another one of my alternate selves is the son of the King of the Americas.

In the "Holy Republic of Tunis" TL that Duncan and I came up with on the Old Board, TTL's version of me is the President of the Holy People's Republic of Tunis.

Son of immigrants from Brittania, this former soldier and journalist vigorously pursues the "No Peace Beyond Cyprus" policy towards the Mithraic Empire of the Arabs and Persians.

One of my alternate selves is a writer for The Independent American, a magazine that advocates that the Dominion of North America cut its ties with Great Britain and declare itself a fully independent nation.

Another one is a government censor in the God-Fearing Commonwealth of New-England, a Puritan-type police state that controls much of OTL United States and Canada. Though raised as a devoutly believing Calvinist Christian, I am beginning to be troubled by doubts about my job and even about my faith.

In one of mine, I am a visiting professor in the Republic of Carolina who is originally from the more stable, prosperous, imperialistic United States.

Diamond

Banned
In Timeline 47B-9C, I was a serial killer called 'The Hatchetman' by the media. I died in a shootout with police in Detroit, Michigan on June 4th, 2003.

In Timeline 47B-114A, I'm a lawyer and fast-rising political consultant on Governor Schwarzeneggar's staff.

In Timeline 41B-75A, I was born with severe Down's Syndrome and still live with my parents.

In Timeline 66F-114A, I was the XO of the RVS Washington. I was killed along with most of my crew by two Georgian attack submarines off the coast of Bermuda in early 2004, at the height of the Third North American War.

In another, I am the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland, and Rhodesia, as well as 2nd. Lord Beira.

Diamond said:
In Timeline 47B-9C, I was a serial killer called 'The Hatchetman' by the media. I died in a shootout with police in Detroit, Michigan on June 4th, 2003.

Dude, I am sorry that my other self had to do that. You really were a bastard in that timeline, though....

Diamond

Banned
Weapon M said:
Dude, I am sorry that my other self had to do that. You really were a bastard in that timeline, though....
:D I know... all those nuns... and the coeds... and the 17 other victims. Good thing the cops shot me before I could start on Peyton Manning - the Lions might've lost their first Superbowl in 5 years.

Depends on your definition of 'alternate'. I don't normally put 'myself' into my timelines because I wouldn't be here if history had gone another way. But I have the odd character who is rather closely modelled on what I see as my character. In one case, 'I' made Prime Minister, but did not really achieve much and am mostly remember for genial corruption, high-minded rhetoric, timid policies and a large collection of Roman antiquities donated to the Royal American Museum of History in Philadelphia.

In another timeline, I'm a diehard Confederate national cybercriminal dedicated to disrupting the servers of the Zollverein.

I don't have me in alternate time lines as I've never done a alternate timeline with its POD in the last 25 years or so (and a POD before that would certainly obliterate me from existance)
The Royal Space Force timeline does feature my g.g.g.g.uncle as a catalyst though...

I sometimes use famous persons in TLs although they'd be butterflied away probably, and sometimes characters who are a bit like me... but except of one ISOT I never used the real myself...

I had never thought of this.

I will reveal personal information here that I was adopted at birth, so am, in a small way, a walking piece of alternate history, if different decisions had been made I would have had a different name as well as identity/personality - imagine that.

What else? Umm, my girlfriend is from the Former Soviet Union, what sort of relationship would we have if they had won the Cold War? Maybe she would be paying for my dinner...

One is a professional poker player and sports bettor in Atlanta. Poker didn't explode there like it has in OTL, but he cleared $100,000.00 for the first time in 2004, largely because of a pre-season $25,000.00 proposition bet, by far his largest ever, that the Bears would win less than six games. None is less than six for sure, but I hope he doesn't get overconfident. Another is a rising Catholic priest in the Boston Archdiocese with a solid shot at becoming Archbishop someday if he can continue to keep his chronic alcoholism under wraps- so far, so good. And I take solemn pride in noting a third who, while napping on a chaise lounge by the pool at a Best Western in Kansas City, became the only person in the multiverse to be killed by a freaking meteorite. Win some, lose some, I suppose...

Hendryk

Banned
I haven't yet put analogues of myself in any ATL. The problem is, if the POD is before our births, most of us may simply end up butterflied away. For example, in an ATL without a WW2, my maternal grandmother will likely marry someone else than in OTL, and my mother will never be born.
In my "Superpower Empire: China", where the POD is 1912, I'm there all right, because my family history hasn't been affected until after my date of birth. in that ATL I'm probably a junior staffer at the French embassy in Nanjing. OTOH none of my Chinese friends will be born.
This being said, I occasionally name people in my TLs after persons I know in real life.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I never exist, because even if I set the story in 2000 the POD is usually some 200 years before or so, so there's no logical way for me to be there. And if the story is SET in the past, well I won't have been born.

I suppose there is the POSSIBILITY of my existing in my 'World Conflict' story. The main impact of the POD only occurs in the early 1940s so my parents get born. BUt seeing as their getting together in real life was not a very likely occurrence, it would take another very unlikely occurrence to occur in the timeline for that story - one supposes its possible, since it would be EQUALLY unlikely, but one kind of rebels against an unlikelihood of a similar order occurring in an ATL as well as in reality. Though logically its no more impossible than other mind-wrenching statistical equalities - such as the same person winning the lottery twice in a row, or the same Lottery numbers coming up two weeks running.

But even if my parents met, would I have been born in that ATL ? Well, someone may have been but he is unlikely to have had my name - far more likely my alter-ganger would be called Oswald or Karl or Edward... And anyway he'd only be one year old !

Grey Wolf

Diamond said:
:D I know... all those nuns... and the coeds... and the 17 other victims. Good thing the cops shot me before I could start on Peyton Manning - the Lions might've lost their first Superbowl in 5 years.

Sorry 'bout the thread hijack, but I know of a great mass-murderer ATL, and I never get the chance to tell the story. It butterflies in early August, 1969. A Hollywood producer gets an idea for an action-adventure film. He and his prospective lead actor meet at the opulent home of the prospective lead actress (who the actor knows, and has visited at home, in OTL) to chat. A shot rings out, and they see a friend of their gardener stumble through some bushes and fall to the ground dead. They attempt to call the police, but the phone line has been cut! A minute later, Manson Family member Charles "Tex" Watson shatters a sliding glass door and steps inside as other Family members, including Charles Manson himself, wait to follow. Bruce Lee sweeps aside the curtains behind which he had hidden himself and kicks Watson in the balls hard enough to lift him 18 inches into the air and shatter (not "fracture," "shatter") his pelvic bone. He goes into shock and falls on his pistol; the only firearm the Family had brought. Manson quickly decides that it's still four against one, and they've got knives to boot; they rush Lee. As was so often the case in Charles Manson's short and unhappy life, things just didn't go as he had planned...

In one timeline I was killed in the Battle of Pretoria in early 2003, during the South African Revolution. I was commanding a group of commandoes who had tried to destroy a group of fighter jets at Wonderboom airforce base north of Pretoria.

Another analogue was murdered while on his way to work in 2002 during the Johannesburg race riots.

Another works in the office of the Prime Minister of Cape Dominion.