AHC: Save the First Mexican Empire

Wolfpaw

Banned
There's plenty of talk around here of the Napoleon III's short-lived Mexican Empire, but nary a word about Iturbide's First Mexican Empire.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to keep the first Mexican Empire from falling apart.

Bonus points if a polity known as the "Mexican Empire" exists by 1900.

Super-extra bonus points if it survives into the 20th-21st Century.

There's plenty of talk around here of the Napoleon III's short-lived Mexican Empire, but nary a word about Iturbide's First Mexican Empire.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to keep the first Mexican Empire from falling apart.

Bonus points if a polity known as the "Mexican Empire" exists by 1900.

Super-extra bonus points if it survives into the 20th-21st Century.

Iturbide sort of saw himself as the seat-warmer for the eventual European monarch, but I'm sure he would have survived in the government as some sort of Prime Minister after that event.

Working on something now in a British Mexico TL in which Iturbide or an analogue (married to an Anglo-Mexican noblewoman) becomes head of the Empire after a Mexican War for Independence against Britain. The European monarch who takes up the call for the throne of the first Mexican Empire is an escaped Napoleon, whose son and only heir marries one of Iturbide's daughters, legitimizing the claim to the throne. Their daughter then marries Maximilian of Austria, thereby uniting OTL's First and Second Mexican Empires through a Napoleonic lineage.

Probably not what you were looking for...

Not exactly, but interesting nonetheless :)

Thanks! It's the culmination of a lot of questioning I've done in the past year. All secretly for one TL. I hope I can finish it, as I'm sure it will entertain.

Back to your OP, though. Just have a European monarch accept the throne and you've got a First Empire with Euro support. Pretty cut and dry, not sure who would do it, though.

Iturbide, IMHO, is not going to stay Emperor if European royalty shows interest. If they don't, it's going to be harder to support the First Empire. I'm sure there's a way, and it's probably simpler than I'm making it, but there just wasn't enough internal support for Iturbide's government to make it last. Republican outcry at the time was fierce.

Eh, just because Mexico could get an European monarch, doesn't mean any of the massive problems that Mexico was facing at the time would go away. The OTL First Empire didn't even exist for two years!

For starters, the Spanish were OTL very much against the Mexicans finally breaking away, so you're going to have to change *how* Mexico becomes free. You could potentially have the Spanish Bourbons flee to Mexico during the Napoleonic wars, and have a similar situation as with the Portuguese and Brazil during this era. Otherwise, unless invoking ASBs, the (Spanish) Bourbons are not going to take the throne of Mexico.

Unless you have a pretty strong conflict going on in Europe, no nation would want to guarantee a war with the Spanish by throwing one of their royals over to Mexico. Plus, I don't know how many royals would be like Max and just hop on over to Mexico, but I'm sure you could find some anyway.

At the opening of the Congress of Mexico, there were three main political groupings, two of which supported the Plan of Iguala, but differed in thinking who should get the Throne (between a Bourbon and Iturbide) and the Republicans. The Republicans supported the Bourbonists, as they were more opposed to Iturbide getting power over a Bourbon. However, when the Spanish declared the Treaty of Córdoba to be null, the Bourbonists broke into the other two parties. After the fall of the Bourbonists, it started to get increasingly tense in Mexico, with Iturbide dissolving the Congress after becoming Emperor due to it criticizing him.

The Mexican economy was in shambles after the struggle of independence, and soon had to cut wages in the military and civil offices, leading to increased desertion and general grumpiness. The treasury was so lacking that Augustin's coronation was with mostly borrowed jewelry. To keep the treasury afloat, forced loans had to happen, and Spanish currency en route back to Spain was seized for the government. (not many liked doing that for some reason) My readings on the First Empire is a little rusty, but I'm nigh certain that several important state mines were in disrepair during this time as well, hindering currency even more. (I really don't remember which book stated that though :confused: )

And the last thing that's in the way of the Empire are several men such as Servando Teresa de Mier, but most importantly, Santa Anna. I don't think I need to get too in depth about it, but Santa Anna was scheming a lot during the time of the Empire. He eventually did get Augustin kicked out ya know.

So what does the Empire need to survive? A few miracles. :)

Wolfpaw

Banned
I love how brilliant every Norton on this site is :D

Any chance Santa Anna or somebody else could have kept monarchism of a sort afloat, perhaps by installing themselves on the throne?

(Sadly I am not related to the other Nortons :p )

Not likely, Monarchism in Mexico died fast for basically two reasons; Agustin was an autocrat (which chaffed the intellectuals/republicans/othervaguegrouping), and it got the short end of the stick with the bad economy being blamed on it. Santa Anna was, as was shown later on, also an autocrat, but he wouldn't support a failing movement. As I said, he was one of the main people behind ousting Agustin.

With how Mexico became free, it is really unlikely anything would hold too well. It was a very unstable era for it, and pretty much was going to suck for most everyone for awhile. (Or in Mexico's case, a long while) So, I recommend the Bourbons coming to the New World, but I dunno much about them or if that is (that) plausible, sorry.

Last edited:
I agree with everything that Norton III has said. Agustin surviving as Emperor of Mexico is virtually impossible because of the Mexico he inherited. I would extend this further that even if a Bourbon accepted the throne the situation for him might not be much better (perhaps a little bit as he could bring some money to buy his own royal jewelry). He would still have to deal with the republicans and all the general discontent.

If you want a "Mexican" monarch on the throne, you can look at the events of 1808 where Mexico almost declared Indpendence under the leadership of the then viceroy José de Iturrigaray. Unlike Iturbide, Iturrigaray seemed to be a popular man across most circles. He was decently liberal, and had experience in the Spanish navy fighting the Napoleonic Wars. Have him and his followers declare independence, and you would likely get a very short war, since Iturrigaray would enjoy the support some royalist forces that Hidalgo and his lot didn't at the time, nor did Guerrero until he allied himself with Iturbide.

After the war just crown Iturrigaray Emperor Jose I of Mexico

That's pretty much what I was saying.

1. European support

+

2. Keeping the Republicans happy, i.e. Keeping a congress and a constitution

=

First Mexican Empire survival. You will also need the military strong and totally on the Empire's side as has been said. That's something I neglected.

But Iturbide as Emperor for a second longer than he was is totally improbable.

The Republicans simply didn't want to be a Kingdom in any form, but Agustin was worse than a Bourbon to them. So they still wouldn't be happy, and it's not likely the Bourbons would either. The Europeans would have to forward a very large 'gift' to the Mexican treasury in order, which doesn't seem likely.

In other words, please explain in more detail how it work like how you said TheInfiniteApe. :)

Cheers

The Republicans simply didn't want to be a Kingdom in any form, but Agustin was worse than a Bourbon to them. So they still wouldn't be happy, and it's not likely the Bourbons would either. The Europeans would have to forward a very large 'gift' to the Mexican treasury in order, which doesn't seem likely.

In other words, please explain in more detail how it work like how you said TheInfiniteApe. :)

Cheers

Just saw this, sorry.

Basically, it works if Augustin stops being Emperor and the new European monarch allows a constitution. Not quite as simple as that, but it has the potential to appease some of the less radical Republicans while being strong enough to put down the rest of the Republicans.

Whoever the new monarch is will probably also have to be from a nation willing to support the Empire in its infancy, as you said, but the Mexicans were always suckers for a good compromise (at least for a little while) and such a situation could yield survival.

As I said, however, it could not include the continuation of Iturbide.

I guess the short answer would be: The First Mexican Empire can survive if Napoleon Bonaparte lives in good health long enough to escape and become Emperor.

;)

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
I tend to find that any possibility of a surviving First Mexican Empire would be almost non-existent, simply because even if Augustin decides to abdicate in favor of a European Monarch, I highly doubt that any monarch would want to inherit a post-colonial Mexico on the grounds that, there was simply no working economy, and no one has recognized Mexico as independent outside of a few nations of the Western Hemisphere at the time (the first European Nation to recognize the Empire was the United Kingdom, but by then, the nation had already become a Republic).

If the Emperor abdicates in favor of a another, the slim chance is, you would have to hope that either the Europeans recognize it sooner, or hope that a member of the Brazilian Royal Family, the House of Bragnaza accepts the throne.