The Rise and Fall of the Empire of Trebizond

Fellow AH members I have created a string of failed timelines. But now I have become serious. This is my first true tl and I hope you enjoy reading it. The POD is simple the empire of Trebizond under David Komnenos expanded all the way to Paphalagonia before being halted by Laskaris. In this tl Laskaris will be crushed by David and Nikea will fall to Trebizond. SO please give my writings one more chance. I will greatly appreciate it.

" Oh when Constantinople fell in the west to the Franks all hope was lost. But fear not for he the savior shall come to save our glorious empire" Nikephroros Phokas Historian of the Empire of Trebizond 1204-1276
Part I: The Reign of David Megal Komnenos

By the year 1206 David Megal Komnenos had captured many cities and soon his empire stretched from Trebizond to Heraklia. However he was not satisfied no he had grand plans for conquest. Many historians agree that David was a bold adventurer. He had the support of the famous Queen Tamar of Georgia. *In July of 1206 David formed an alliance against Theodore Laskaris of Nicaea with the various independent byzantine princes such as Theodore Mancaphas ruler of Philadelphia, Manuel Marouzones of the Meander valley, and Sabbas Asiddenus in Sampson near Miletus. These powerful princes all banded together against Nicaea.

David realized that unless he could gain the support of the Rhomanoi Princes in Asia Minor he had no hope of victory against Nicaea. However good news soon reached his ears. Just recently Baldwin and the Latin’s had been crushed by Kalojan of Bulgaria who rapidly advanced against the Latin’s in Thrace. Seizing the opportunity David sent a note to the Bulgarian Tzar.
" Oh great Bulgarian Tzar I wish to form an alliance with you. Nicaea is a thorn to both of us. As is the Latin empire. Let us make a deal. I will marry one of your daughters and cement an alliance. You can keep the west and I can keep the east. You may have Thrace and the Balkans and I shall take Anatolia. I suggest we form this alliance to further both of our goals. We could together make powerful allies and vanquish our enemies." When this note reached Kalojan the Bulgarians replied favorably. “Very well dear David Komnenos let us meet for talks in Adrianople here we will discuss the prospects of the marriage alliance. Your ideas are sound I too feel such an alliance will prove useful to the both of us." When news arrived in Trebizond of the Bulgarian answer David rejoiced. Suddenly to take Nicaea seemed like a distinct possibility. He had already secured with bribes most of the Anatolian princes and now with the support of Bulgaria a powerful coalition headed by David and Kalojan was formed against Nicaea and the Latin empire. On December 5th 1206 David and Kalojan signed the: Treaty of eternal friendship" The treaty stated that David would marry the Bulgarian khan's eldest daughter of marriageable age and the two sides would form an alliance. it also concluded that Kalojan will have free reign in the west while David rules the east. On the day the alliance was signed David Komnenos married Maria of Bulgaria the young daughter of King Kalojan.

With these marital ties an alliance was complete. In January of 1207 David held a great meeting at his stronghold in Heraklia. Here many of the Anatolian princes arrived to discuss the future war against Nicaea. Mancamphas, Asidenos, and Maurozomes were the strongest of the princes.

It was here David made a speech.
" Oh fellow princess of Anatolia. I know how much you value independence. So you shall keep it. These are troubled times. The infidels surround us on both sides. We are disunited and weak. The So called Barbaric Nicean emperor has no real ties with the Emperors of Constantinople. Think back to the days of Manuel Komnenos. I promise to you that all of you shall remain rulers of your separate kingdoms. All I ask is that you join me in liberating Nicaea. Once Nicaea falls I would like for you to pledge your allegiance to me. In reality you shall all be autonomous rulers but in return for the autonomy you shall help me with my wars. I have no wish to control your fiefdoms and from henceforth I have decided to sign a feudal contract. In return all I ask is your support. Help me oh powerful and great princes and together we will Restore the Empire to its former Glory. Down with Nicaea down with the Turks and Down with the filthy Franks who litter our Constantinople!!!" The Speech in the fortress proved to be decisive. Many of the Anatolian princes signed the feudal contract and soon they all fell in line and sent their armies which soon swelled the ranks of Trebizond.

On February 5th of 1207 David marched for Nicaea.

Meanwhile Kaloyan sent to his new brother in Law a force of 20000 Bulgarians who crossed the bosphorous and landed at Heraklia. From here David and his army marched into Nicean territory. In unison the remaining Anatolian princes drew up their armies and soon Nicaea was beset by enemies on all its fronts. David had succeeded in uniting under his banner most the Anatolian princes.

Theodore Laskaris tried desperately to save the situation but it was useless. The Nicean army crumbled under pressure from many fronts. The Latin’s provided no help due to the fact that they were fighting a struggle for existence against Bulgaria and Epirus. While the Turks dared not move lest the wrath of Georgia fall upon them. Laskaris was completely isolated and Nicaea stood no chance. It was more of a slaughter than any real fighting. After months of this futile war Theodore sent peace feelers to David. On December 5th 1207 David signed the treaty of Nicaea in Theodore’s capital city. The weary king knew that most likely death awaited him. But that was not to be. David faced the humble Theodore and said “Good Theodore you are a brave emperor to last In fighting me this long. You are no an infidel and your generals fight ably. SO I will forgive you for your rebelliousness. In return for recognizing me as Emperor of the Rhomanoi your life will be spared and you may continue to rule Nicaea as my loyal vassal. The choice is yours decline my generous offer and I will have no choice but to execute you. It is your choice.
Amazed at his luck Theodore accepted David’s offers. With the stroke of a pen Nicaea became a vassal of Trebizond.

With Nicaea vassalized David still faced a bleak situation. To his east the Turks were amassing on the frontier while to the west Epirus, Latin empire, Thessaloniki, and many Latin principalities had control over the Balkans. It seemed hopeless in David’s eyes to retake the Balkans. For now he will consolidate his position and let his brother in law take care of the Epirus.

Epirus was a state that became independent after the fall of Constantinople. It was ruled by a very capable genius Michael Angelus. Michael had overrun the territory between Dyrachion and the gulf of Corinth with and with arta as his base exercised strict military control. In 1207 shortly after the capitulation of Nicaea to Trebizond Michael Angelus signed a treaty with David. In the pact made by the two orthodox brethren Alexius married Michael’s daughter Theodora Doukaina Komnena. Thus cementing marital ties with the empire of Epirus and securing another ally in the Balkans. However shortly a year later Michael died a mysterious death. While out hunting in the forest he was mauled by a boar and died on January 12th 1208. When he died Epirus was in an uproar. Their emperor had just met an untimely death due to a hunting accident. The death of Michal was indeed a mystery. Just a few months before Theodore Doukas Komnenos met his end facing an army of Latin’s led by Henry the new ruler of Constantinople. SO the only real claimant to the imperial throne was Alexius. So after much deliberation Alexius Megal-Komnenos was crowned the Despot of Epirus. Epirus thus fell into David’s hands.

Kaloyan soon became enraged at this. He sent angry letter to David asking him why he was interfering with the Balkans his territory. Before he could receive a reply at a fierce battle near the border of Constantinople. Henry the Latin Emperor delivered a decisive defeat to the Bulgarian Tzar who met an untimely end at the hands of the Latin’s. Suddenly Kaloyan was no more. This meant David who was married to Maria of Bulgaria the eldest daughter of Kalojan became Tzar of Bulgaria. The turn of events was indeed astonishing. Before anyone could react David had appeared in Sophia where gave another speech promising to keep the Bulgarians autonomous in the empire. In order to cement his ties with the populace the Patriarch of Trebizond Michael Branas gave the rank of autocephalous to the Bulgarian Patriarchate of orchrid. With this act and the lowering of taxes and the signing of feudal contracts with the Bulgarian aristocracy Bulgaria was secured for David.

At the imperial palace in Trebizond David smiled his plan had been executed perfectly. Through a string of marital alliances he had secured the crowns of Epirus, Nicaea, and Bulgaria. To top all off he had the full backing of the Rhomanoi Anatolian aristocracy as well as immense popularity in Bulgaria due to his acts of generosity and autonomy he gave said state. Soon the Balkans and Anatolia would be his once more

Meanwhile in Iconium the Seljuk sultan grew alarmed at the startling rise of Trebizond but dared not make a move. He knew that if he acted against Trebizond the Kingdom of Georgia would declare war and invade his borders. He decided to bide his time for now. Instead he turned to Armenia cillica. Soon he decided that Cilica was a thorn in his backside it would be his first major conquest in a long time.

In Constantinople Henry was shocked. He suddenly found himself surrounded by an emperor who had command over Bulgaria, Thessaloniki, Epirus, and Anatolia.

The Bulgarian army had at first refused to recognize David as their new leader but after bribing the major generals of the armies of Bulgaria the Military sided with David. The chief factor was a lower in taxes to military personnel and several well placed bribes to important officials in the Bulgarian army.

In 1210 David launched an invasion against the Latin empire. He sent a small detachment to Constantinople and let slip reports to Henry than a massive army would besiege Constantinople. Henry not wanting to lose the city gathered his armies and soon defended Constantinople with much of the Latin army. This was a foolish mistake. In January of 1210 David’s forces invaded not Thrace but Larissa and Thessaloniki. It was a two fronted assault. Within months the Latin emperor’s possessions in the Balkans had been reconquered. Shocked Henry immediately realized he had been duped. In outrage he moved his forces out of the capitol.

However the small byzantine army melted into the populace of Thrace where they incited revolts. Much of the Thracians detested the Latin’s and soon at the urging of these Rhomanoi soldiers much of Thrace fell into revolt. Henry found himself trapped in Thrace fighting constantly and putting down revolts by the masses. Soon the Latin’s knew not who the enemy was. The enemy was everywhere and nowhere. The resistance groups hid inside the villages as commoners. No one knew who was an actual member. They would launch surprise attacks and disappear. Henry grew furious that he was being toyed with in this manner but remained helpless.

By 1211 Anatolia and the Balkans under the Latin empire’s control had been retaken by David and his armies from the combined kingdoms. The Latin empire was reduced to Thrace. Henry suddenly found himself in a terrible position. On May 5th David launched an all pout assault on Thrace. 40000 soldiers conscripted from all the kingdoms under his control marched into Thrace where they were welcomed by the populace as liberators. By July the army arrived at the gates of Constantinople. The walls stood before David. David knew he could not take the city by force so in the cover of the night secret envoys were sent to the gatekeeper of the East gate. The man was offered 100 gold bags in return for opening the gates. The Gatekeeper Andronicus Akoupos accepted the offer and opened the gates. When the gates opened in the night David and his army stormed the city.

Henry woke up with a start as he heard screaming outside the city. He saw a terrible site the eat had opened and Rhomanoi soldiers were pouring in. Henry knew that all as lost. But he refused to surrender. He turned to his loyal assistant Roger who outfitted him with his armor. “If I am to die so be it but I shall not die a coward but as an emperor.” Henry and his loyal guards soon prepared to defend the palace. Henry fought like a lion killing many Roman soldiers. His figure sent fear down the spines of the Rhomanoi. But it was useless. David Komennos had entered the city and arrived at the palace. He had made orders clear “Henry will be mine to kill” Henry soon saw the sight of David. He laughed and thought to Himself so the foolish emperor arrives in person. “Well oh King what brings to my palace” David smiled “Emperor Henry It is I who will have the honor of taking your head.”

Henry smiled “Not if I take yours first.” The two powerful sovereigns faced off in battle. The two charged and soon fought bitterly on horseback. Both displayed brilliant skill in their sword forms. However David was unhorsed by Henry who charged with him with his lance. But David had a hidden dagger which pierced Henry's horse and Henry tumbled to the ground. The two soon raised their swords and fought in close combat. Soon it was a battle of endurance. But after fierce fighting and fierce parries Henry was the first to succumb. He was disarmed and soon fell to the ground. David raised his sword and brought it down upon Henry. Henry prepared for death but after moments nothing happened. Minutes passed and henry thought why I haven’t died. When he opened his eyes he saw David smiling.
Henry you are a worthy opponent. But I will not kill you. I have uses for you.”
Henry replied coarsely “what as a slave.”
“of course not. Your valor, military, skills, and judgment are incredible. So I will tell you this. The Empire is mine and you will be a strategus of one of my regiments. You will prove invaluable to me. I view it a waste to kill intelligent enemies who could work for me. Don’t worry I will make sure you family is safe. SO what do you say Henry become my subject and vassal.”

Henry retorted with words that stunned David. “Fool I am an emperor. As emperor I shall not bow to anyone. Remember this I should rather die than serve you. It was an honor facing you in battle King. But I have lost. If you wish me to be your vassal I shall not. I will fight you till the end. You may kill all my troops but I will never surrender.” With these words Henry stood up struggling. David was shocked at this man’s audacity. Henry charged at David. David with a sad face raised his sword and in one fell swoop beheaded Henry. Henry was no more. But David was disheartened. The next morning an honorable funeral was given to David’s greatest enemy. Henry was buried with full honors and his family was allowed to remain as Rhomanoi citizens and was sent to live in one of their estates in Constantinople.

David had at last. Constantinople was his and in the Hagia Sophia was crowned on Christmas day as Autokrator of the Romans, King of Bulgaria, Emperor of Trebizond, and Despot of Nicaea David I Megal-Komnenos. His brother Alexius remained Despot of Epirus Larissa and Thessaloniki.
With the Empire secure David turned his eyes toward Iconium. The Latin principalities could wait. In 1212 Tamar of Georgia and David decided to partition the sultanate of Iconium between them.
Iconium suddenly found itself facing a two fronted war.

Map, for the love of god, a map. Great start, really enjoyed it. Were you the one you did the Konrad TL?

Interesting… How are the other successor states (Nicea, Epirus, and Thessiloniki) reacting to this. Not to mention the Venetians!
Venice is piszed.
Nicea was annexeed by David due to David winning over the anatolian princes who launched a multi fronted assault. Epirus came under the cotrol of David's brother because Alexius was married to Teodora eldest surviving daughter of Michael Angelus. Michael Anjelus died of a "hunting accident" his brother died a couple months back so the only one who could claim the throne was Alexius.
Thessalanoki also fell during David's master plan that brought an end to Latin rule in Balkans. However in Morea and Athens the Latin states still exist.
Venice is basically uber pissed but can't do anything because although they have a navy the resources David has are immense. Venice is a naval not a land power.
I'll get into Europe in the forthcoming updates but for now the main focus is on eastern Europe. Btw in a couple years you know who will invade Europe:cool: Wot give any spoilers but let's say it involves an epic war beetween Byzantium and the Mongols and a fierce fight beetween David and Subodei.;)

alright here is the map.
Purple is under the direct control o

Byzantine empire.png

Just one question.... What happens to the Patriarchate of Constantinople? David reinstates the Nicaean Patriarch in exile? Or he promotes the <etropolitan Bishop of Trebizond to Patriarch? Or he proceeds in appointing a whole new Patriarch?

Just one question.... What happens to the Patriarchate of Constantinople? David reinstates the Nicaean Patriarch in exile? Or he promotes the <etropolitan Bishop of Trebizond to Patriarch? Or he proceeds in appointing a whole new Patriarch?
Ih the Metropolitan bishop of Trebizond becomes the New Patriarch. SImiliar o how in otl Michael VII made the bishop of Nicea patriarch of Constantiople.

Ih the Metropolitan bishop of Trebizond becomes the New Patriarch. SImiliar o how in otl Michael VII made the bishop of Nicea patriarch of Constantiople.

I am sure the Patriarch-in-exile in Nicaea wont like that... I smell a schism coming on... Michael VIII restored Patriarch-in-exile Arsenios to his seat.. Nicaea had no Bishop at the time since the see was administrated by the Patriarch in exile...

I am sure the Patriarch-in-exile in Nicaea wont like that... I smell a schism coming on... Michael VIII restored Patriarch-in-exile Arsenios to his seat.. Nicaea had no Bishop at the time since the see was administrated by the Patriarch in exile...

Oh well I didn't know about this. Okay still the Bishop of Trebizond becomes new Patriarch andabout Arsenios... Let's just say he meets an untimely "death"

Oh well I didn't know about this. Okay still the Bishop of Trebizond becomes new Patriarch andabout Arsenios... Let's just say he meets an untimely "death"

Still Arsenios had some loyal followers they might cause some troubles if they found out that the Emperor had arranged his death... It could be a good "sub-plot"...

P.S. by 1211 The Metropolitan Bishop of Trebizond was Ilarion I... however its not known when he died and the next known Bishop is Akakios I who was enthroned in 1258...

Still Arsenios had some loyal followers they might cause some troubles if they found out that the Emperor had arranged his death... It could be a good "sub-plot"...

P.S. by 1211 The Metropolitan Bishop of Trebizond was Ilarion I... however its not known when he died and the next known Bishop is Akakios I who was enthroned in 1258...
I see. Thanks for the advice on Trebizond. And about Arsenios sure Il make it a subplot. I am planning something with Arsenios supporters. It involves a certain civil war that will follow in the forthcoming updates. Thats all I will tell you for now;)

Also till 1213 the Patriarch-in-exile in Nicaea was Michael IV... followed bt Theodore II 1213-1215, Maximus II 1215, Manuel I 1216-122, Germanus II 1223-1240, Methodius II 1240, Vacancy 1240-1244, Manuel II 1244-1255, Arsenius 1255-1259, Nicephorus II 1260-1261, Arsenius (again and he was restored in his seat when Constantinople was recaptured by Nicaea) 1261-1267

Part II: The Fall of the Seljuk Turks
On July 20th 1211 Maria had a son with David. He was named Andronicus after his grandfather. At the capitol great celebrations were held that an heir had been born to the Imperial throne. David breathed a sigh of relief. He knew that now his dynasty and kingdoms were secure. He decided to defeat Iconium once and for all.

In 1212 he called on his vassals to provide their troops and soon a mixed army of Bulgarians, Serbians, epirots, larrisans, Macedonians, Turks, and Varangoi made up some 50000 strong soldiers. . Meanwhile Tamar also sent an additional 6000 Georgian soldiers. In May David launched his assault. He crossed into Seljuk territory. However he knew the fight would be long and arduous.

The Sultan of the Iconium Kay Khausraou knew that a massive Roman army was heading for Iconium. But he decided to execute a plan to start it. The Romans would be fighting a small force that would constantly flee wearing down the Roman soldiers. He would have his smaller army launch raids constantly on the Roman camp. Then he will use decoys to draw out the Rhomanoi soldiers and once they are split the main army will destroy them.

David on the other hand decided to split his forces into groups of 15000. Each 15k soldiers would besiege one city soldiers were tasked with attacking a certain province. It was simple the Sultan would believe that he like any normal general would travel with his entire army but that was not the case with David. To David a lightning fast war with minimal casualties was what he hoped for. He planned to attack multiple fronts confuse the enemies and slowly take multiple cities at once.
Both leaders were confident their plans would work. But this was a war and anything could happen. Even the failure of the said plans.

In 1212 Shortly after the Armies split into three, the Roman forces fought a large battle about 20 miles south of Ekisehr. Here the Sultan’s son Kaysraou faced off in a bloody battle against a roman army of 15000 troops under the control of Andreas Doukas. The Rhomanoi plan was simple they would send their three army groups and besiege and capture Ekisehr, Ankara, and Konya. If they capture these fortress cities the Seljuk’s will be dealt a heavy blow. However Khosraou anticipated this move and placed his sons in charge of these cities. Andreas viewed the enemy forces of 20000 soldiers. He was outnumbered he realized. But Andreas chuckled as he donned his battle armor. SO the Turks can actually think for once this will be very interesting.” Kaysraou saw the forces of Andreas and turned his soldiers as he cried, “Fellow soldiers the infidel dares to come on our land. Those savages will rape our woman burn our homes, destroy our cities, enslave our people, and kill our children. We must not let them pass. Down with the infidel for Allah!” His war cry soon roused up the Seljuk armies. “Archers fire.” In one movement the archers fired a wave of arrows that blotted the sun. However it was useless. Andreas had already ordered a shield wall. The Shield wall held firm and the Romans suffered minimal casualties. He had the Trebizond archers some of the best archers in the world placed behind the shields of the main army. It was simple the Soldiers would provide a shield defense and the archers would fire their arrows from the safety of the shields. The Trebizond archers fired their own arrows which killed many of the enemy’s troops who hadn’t held up a shield wall. Andreas target was not the soldiers but the cavalry. Kaysraou was caught by surprise as the arrows struck the surprised Seljuk Calvary. Immediately the horses panicked. For before firing the arrows had been lit on fire. In a twist of luck due to the intense head a bush fire was started right next to the cavalry forces that had been waiting to go into battle. Soon the horseman lost control of their horses and fell. The fire spread quickly due to the heat as it burned any in the vicinity. The troops panicked and Kaysraou could not regain order. Soon many fled from the fierce fire. Much of the cavalry was not lucky and got trapped inside the fire ring. Andreas heard their bloodcurdling screams as they were burned alive. Then Andreas ordered the Greek fire throwers to move out. These fire throwers ignited their weapons and unleashed fierce flames right into the enemy soldiers. Facing bush fires and Greek fire the resistance crumbled. The panicked troops fled as they were fleeing Andreas ordered the cavalry to charge and run down the fleeing soldiers while his archers kept on firing the flaming arrows. It was disastrous for Kaysraou. His army had lost much of its troops. Just shortly before Andreas had sent a small regiment of 5000 soldiers to encircle the enemy position. The Turks who had fled ran into this deadly trap. It was more of a massacre than an actual battle. The unprepared fleeing Turkish troops were torn to pieces by the enemy’s heavy infantry. Andreas had already decided in this battle there would be no survivors. Kaysraou realizing all hope was lost faced the enemy soldiers bravely. He knew he would die. With a smile he raised his sword ‘Oh holy merciful protector Allah I shall soon see you but not before I kill as many of the infidels as possible.” With these words he charged and soon killed many roman troops. The soldiers saw this one man fighting tens of soldiers and winning. Andreas knew who the man was and he ordered his archers to fire. “And so the Cinderella story ends.” said Andreas smiling. Kaysraou suddenly felt intense pain many arrows had pierced his body. As he fell to the ground he saw a soldier raise his sword and the last thoughts were forgive me father I have failed. Prince Kaysraou died on the battlefield. Meanwhile Andreas laughed to him. His aid was worried “IS something your highness.” Andreas laughed even louder “don’t you find killing enjoyable I do. Give orders to my men spare no enemy soldier kill them all and let their blood flow. Hahaaha those Turks should be exterminated from our lands. Hahahahah” Andreas had gone mad. Only the aid knew this. As he muttered to himself “Oh god I feel sorry for the Turks its unfortunate they have to face such a monster.”
With the defeat of Kaysraou’s forces Andreas besieged the city of Ekisehr. With no reinforcements the city fell to Andreas forces. What happened to the city was known as the“Rape of Ekisher.” The Roman troops slaughtered all the Turkish men, raped the entire Turkish woman, killed all the male children and enslaved the little girls and aforementioned woman. They also burned down all the mosques in the city and looted them. They would come to a mosque slay the imam in the mosque and pillage and loot the place. It was not that the soldiers were evil jus that they were following orders of Andreas. Many disliked what he was doing but knew they had to do it for pay. Andreas enjoyed what he was doing. When news reached David, it was said David wept. He cried for the poor people of the city. HE did not want to cleanse the Turks. Andreas had to be stopped. Otherwise he would seriously commit genocide. This was not what he had intended. David fumed with rage. He decided Andreas had to go. He soon hired a member of the hasshasheen. The member was told these instructions, infiltrate ekisher and kill Andreas Doukas.” The orders were carried out.

Meanwhile the forces of Theodore Apoukapas had besieged the city of Ankara in 1213. It was a powerful fortress and the siege lasted for months. Neither side was willing to give ground. Theodore knew only one way he could take the city. He sent an envoy to the gates who met with the gatekeeper. The gatekeeper was offered 50 bags of gold in return for opening the gates. The gatekeeper was a greedy man who immediately accepted the offer. So in the dead of night the gates were opened. Just like how David captured Constantinople now Theodore pulled off the same trick. The city was stormed and taken. Unlike Andreas Theodore did not loot very much. He promised the townspeople they would live as before. In fact the wounded and injured were given aid by Roman troops under Theodore’s orders. He was the exact opposite of Andreas.

By 1214 Both Ankara and Ekisehr had fallen into Roman hands. Meanwhile the Georgian armies had seized Ahlat and Erzurum from Khoraou’s sultanate.

David and the 15000 soldiers soon combined forces with 7000 of Theodore’s troops. David decided that with his soldiers he would launch an all-out assault on the capitol of the Seljuk’s at Kayseri. In his eyes if Kayseri fell than the Rum sultanate would be his. He soon arrived after little resistance at the gates of Kayseri.

In Kayseri Sultan of the Seljuk’s Khosraou saw the Rhomanoi army at his doorstep and sighed. His plan had failed. But he would defend the city to the last. Kayseri was a formidable city. For months it withstood besieging. Khosraou had made sure that if any man were approaching the gates shoot them on site if they were not a Seljuk troop member. Thus David couldn’t bribe anyone at the gates. When David realized this he got furious. “Dam that Khosraou.” He said to his aides. For the next couple months the Romans led by David surrounded the city preventing supplies from entering. However the city had enough supplies to easily last for years. Thus David knew he had to take the city by Storm but how. Then he came up with a brilliant idea. He would have his catapults light the stones on ire and hurl them at the city. Khosraou was stunned at the site he saw. 40 trebuchets lay lined up in a row. David then ordered the lit stones to be fired at one point on the formidable wall. When 40 flaming stones smashed the walls they were aimed at. The stone walls were destroyed completely and utterly. Khosraou stood dumbfounded. Shortly thereafter the trebuchets launched another three volleys of heavy stones on fire into the actual city. But there was one difference. The stones were lit by just any fire. No they were lit up with Greek fire. So when water was poured on them nothing happened. Khosraou finally understood what happened and curse David. The sultan’s troops met one last time at the gates of the city. Here Khosraou told his men “We may be outnumbered and our city may lay in ruin but we shall never surrender. Charge!!” With this the Turks sallied forth and met the Roman army on the battle. But David had already anticipated this move and the soldiers were stunned to see Greek fire throwers. Suddenly the flames burst forth causing havoc to the army. What followed was a massacre. There was chaos everywhere all the soldiers were being shot down by the skilled Trebizond archers. Plus the Heavy cavalry stormed through the flames like demons and mowed down many infantrymen. Khosraou fought bitterly but in the end it was futile. Suddenly he heard a thunk on his head and lost consciousness.
Khosraou woke up in a hospital he saw David. “Well Emperor you have bested me why am I alive”.
David calmly replied “Oh great sultan you are a worthy adversary but I do not want this war to continue any further. Thus I ask you become my vassal.”
“Hah why should I, I am a sultan.”
“Yes you are a sultan and you may rule as you wish. All I ask is that you support me in my war’s You may control all your former lands but you must provide troops and aid to me when I need it. Otherwise you may do as you please. What do you say?”
Khosraou knew the deal was too good to pass up. “Very well David I shall do as you say.”
So on August 1215 the Sultanate of rum became an autonomous vassal of the Empire. But soon trouble would brew once more.

Patriarch in Exile t\Theodore II had grown angry that Ikarion had become patriarch. He was the rightful patriarch not Ikarion. In his monastery he saw a man approach him. The man smiled and said greetings patriarch I must inform you that I do not like Ikarion, you are our true patriarch.”
“Really what brings you here?”
“my master Andreas Doukas has decided to revolt. He wants you to be the patriarch. Theodore smiled “well dear boy how can I refuse.”
A day earlier

Mustapha Kernal eyed at the seated general who was being pleasured by many Turkish slave woman. Andreas laughed as he said cruel things to them and treated them miserably. Mustapha couldn’t contain his anger. He removed his dagger and crept in the shadows but before he could react Andreas called out. “Welcome assassin I know exactly where you are.” Mustapha was stunned how?”
Then he saw the face of the man. Mustapha suddenly felt scared the man was an embodiment of evil...
Andreas meanwhile smiled. “I’d like to introduce you to my bodyguard. Adrian please kills him.”
“yes boss” the strange hooded man replied. Before Mustapha could react he was beheaded.
“Excellent. So the Emperor has finally made his move. Now I shall make my move.”
“Master I have killed him.”
“Rise young one. You are my most trusted bodyguard.”
“I serve you forever.”
“soon operation regicide will take place. Oh David you are lost. These Turks as he pointed to the weeping slaves are animals who must be controlled by us. I will kill you because you are different. You will die at my hands. So let us enjoy ourselves shall we? Hahahah”

Soon a deadly revolt was to break out. It was known as the revolt of the demon lasting from 1215-1216 Although it was short it would forever scar David and change the empire forever.

Alright here is the next update. This is a Short preview of what is to come;)

The Rhomanoi civil war 1215-1216
Preview

Ereksher
At the Governors palace two men were seated side by side. One was the patriarch Theodore the other was Andreas Doukas.
" So let me get this straight Andreas you plan to launch a revolt with your army and defeat the emperor."
Andreas smiled " Of course"
"How?"
"Simple that idiot on the throne does not realize that I have already place key officials in my army across the places I've conquered so far. At my behest all of these cities will revolt against the emperor. Once they revolt David will have to take on all these cities. While he focuses on the cities I lead my army to Constantinople, open the gates pretending their was a revolt and then taking the city once it opens its gates. It is a genius plan and that foolish David can do nothing to stop it. You see he is a fool. A pitiful wretch who is no better than those accursed scum. "
Teodore was shaken my god he thought if this man succeeds he will make sure to exterminate the Turkish race. " I have doubts on this Andreas."
Andreas frowned " Really patriarch then I guess it i alright if I kill you"
Theodore was shocked "what"
Suddenly from behind a hooded figure put his dagger near the patriarchs neck." How could you I am the patriarch how dare you do this to the word of god."
Andreas laughed " the word of god. Such a thing does not exist my friend. I create my future. Honestly I don't care about Christianity. I see fit to use religion as a political tool. If i must be frank with you. In my honest opinion I believe none of it."
" Then why kill the turkish people."
"I come from a small village in Armenia. I remember it like yesterday. i was but a boy of five summers. I had a happy life with my mom, dad, and brothers. We lived in a quaint wonderful town. But it all changed that day. A band of Turks raided our village. Imperial control was broken and those turks slaughtered all the men and raped all the woman. I saw before my eyes my father tortured to death and my mother raped. I saw the church desecrated and no one was stopping them. My brothers were slain and my sisterwas taken away as a slave. My house was burnt and I lost everything. The Turks tried to catch me as well but one of my servants took me and fled. we rode on a horse and fled into Trebizond. we were chased for days. We could not rest. He was my closest friend ever since childhood caring for me. But it was not to last. Just before we reached a fortress in Trebizond territory the turkish bandits caught up and attacked our small camp. I saw my servant die before my eyes. His last words were: "Run dont stop boy get to the fortress live on." I left for the fortress. In that fortress a Doukas family member adopted me after he heard my tale. That is all i shall delve into my family matters. From then on I was a part of the doukas family. But that night I swore to get revenge. I will not stop till those barbarians are dead. Just as they ruined my life I shall ruin theirs!"
The patriarch was stunned at the tale.
" Revenge is not good my son it will not accomplish anything."
"So you say Patriarch but it is my vendetta. Neither you nor anyone will stop me. Hahahah.

Anyway this is the preview. Andreas is one messed up psycothic asshole if i have to put it bluntly. This will be one of the worst civil wars ever fought. As soon as I finish the final draft I will upload but for now enjoy this preview;)

Last edited:
So anyway before I continue further. I would like to ask what are some concerns people have with this tl. Such as am I moving too fast, or is something implausible I would really like to know.:cool:

The civil war part II: The failure of Andreas Rebellion

1215, March 8
David returned to the imperial capital in triumph. Throughout Constantinople celebrations were held by the populace. The eastern and western borders were secure. David now decided to deal with the Pesky Latin states and was planning on making his move when terrible news struck.

David’s advisor Nikephros Chronias was quite unnerved at the report he had gotten. Apparently a bunch of princes led by Andreas Doukas had staged a revolt. In effect a civil war had just been started.
When David saw the advisors terrible look he asked “What’s wrong. Did something bad happen.”
“err... your majesty apparently Andreas has revolted”
“what but I sent a hashasheen to kill him”
“apparently your assassin failed.”
“What dam”
“Even worse new sire he has revolted, Eriksehr, Ankara, and the Anatolian cities have all fallen into his hands and to top it all off he has hired mercenaries tripling his army to 45000 strong troops. We have to act.”
“Indeed call my men we will engage and take the enemy cities.”

March 12th 1215 Ionnas Kantakouzenos leads an army of 4000 to confront the general Andronikos chrysantios who brought an army of 6000 troops.
The rebels and the imperial army faced off at what would be known as the field of blood.
The battle was one of the most hotly contested battles throughout the war. Both sides claimed the victory and to this day much controversy exists as to who actually won the battle.

Ionnas viewed the enemy troops with a grim ok. He was outnumbered. To think they would be fighting him had known Andronikos but now they were enemies. The Rhomanoi Txotai and Tsiloi of the imperial army opened fire. Many agree that a major cause of no clear victory was due to these troops lacked by Andronicus men. The tagma under the command of John organized themselves into a line fifteen to twenty row deep. At the front however instead of the skulotai the txotai made up the first 2 ranks. This was because then the archers would have the perfect range to shoot at the enemy Behind them were the Skoutai with the Kontarion spear providing an excellent defense to the Txotai...
Meanwhile Chrysantios commanded an army that relied heavily upon the cavalry. Ktaphratcoi formed the front lines. Behind them lay the Hippo-Txotai primarily tasked with shooting down the enemy spearmen. To complement the Txotai two chiliarchails were placed behind the hippo txotai to provide defense to the horse archers. Finally a band of mercenary knights and soldiers formed the rest of the army.
In effect the battle was a battle between mounted cavalry against Heavy and light infantry.

Chrysantios and Ionnas both made their moves by ordering their txotai and hippo txotai to fire openly upon the enemy. It was aid that hundreds of arrows were unleashed on both sides. The battle became an archer war. Both sides suffered heavy casualties as both archers unloosed their quivers. Ionnas knew because he had less men he would try the time tested old tactic of retreating. Then most likely the idiot mercenaries would chase him. However this was a really risky gamble, for if he retreated and the mercenaries did not chase him his army would be exposed. But if it succeeded the enemy would lose much of its main force. Ionnas thus made the choice of retreat as he muttered to himself “only god knows what will happen.” Chrysantios saw the Rhomanoi ranks breaking however Chrysantios was cautious but unfortunately the mercenaries were not. Led by their general the mercenary heavy infantry from the franks and the Frankish knights charged at the enemy Chrysantios groaned dammit he thought I knew I shouldn’t have put mercenaries in the battle. With the ranks broken Ionnas troops turned around and encircled the now open mercenary soldiers. It was a massacre. The txotai simply unleashed their arrows upon the open backs of the franks and the spearmen wedged the knights splitting them from the main mercenary force and soon speared the same knights. It was a disaster. The mercenaries were wiped out. But while this was occurring Chrysantios seized the opportunity and his main force attacked the open flank causing Ionnas to realize his folly. But Ionnias soldiers finished off the mercenaries and faced the enemy army on the field of battle. The Kataphratacoi nearly routed the Skoutai but were in turn outmaneuvered by the Kontarion. The skirmish was indecisive.

By the time the melee fighting began their was chaos everywhere “ it was impossible to hear our commanders orders .All was in chaos and no one knew who they were fighting. It was a mass orgy where the generals lost complete control. I barely survived that hellhole.”(Byzantine soldier at the battle)

The fortune of battle changed when Chrysantios et an untimely end. He was busy fighting the infantry from his horse when a Txolai notched his bow and shot an arrow that skewered through Chrysantios temple. It was instant death. When Chrysantios fell his troops retreated but in the ensuing panic John had gotten split from his main group and was soon surrounded by a dozen of chrysantios Kataphratacoi. He fought fiercely killing half a dozen of them but his power ebbed away and soon he was lanced from four sides by the Kataphratacoi. John thus met his death to Chrysantios forces. With both generals dead both armies panicked a and retreated.

At the end of the battle approximately half of Kantakouzenos force survived but 3/5ths of Chrysantios force had fallen.

When news reached David it was said David wept at the loss of his general. On the other hand all Andreas did was to reply coldly he was a pathetic weakling.

By late August 1215 David had not made any grounds against Andreas. Andreas was no fool and so he never openly participated on the battlefield. To him this was but just a chess game. He viewed armies as his pieces with which he would use to crush the enemy soldiers.
David on the other hand hated losing lives and tried to minimize casualties.

The two were exact opposites of each other. Andreas had a smaller army but he had them launch raids and attack the caravans of the Rhomanoi armies. His army used what would be known now as an early form of Rhomanoi guerilla warfare. It was guerilla warfare with a Rhomanoi tinge. Basically not only would they become a part of the population but instead of targeting enemy troops they would target enemy supply chains. Due to this they were an annoying hindrance to David. But he pushed on and with superior numbers besieged Eriskehr with 10000 men.

Andreas then did one horrible thing. He ordered Eriksehr to be torched. Late in the night before the Romans arrived the entire city was put to flame. Monasteries and mosques alike were looted and all the treasures in the city were taken by Andronikos merchants who smuggled them to Ankara. When David arrived at the city he was stunned to see it in such a miserable way. His army had hoped to supply and take money from the city but here they found nothing. Just death and starvation.
David swore that day he would never forgive Andreas.

Andreas was different while the imperial army was near eriksehr he called on Venice to provide him money and support. Venice wanting to curb the Rhomanoi power immediately agreed and soon funded Andrea’s war campaign. David was shocked at what had occurred., but could do nothing due to the fact the Rhomanoi navy was nonexistent and had no way to harm the venetian navy.

But David knew that eventually he would win. Mainly because he had larger numbers and more men. By January of 1216 much of the rebellion had been put down. But Andreas was nowhere to be found. In Ankara

Andreas realized he was fighting a losing war. SO he sent envoys to David. The message was simple he will end the rebellion in return for a pardon from David. David at first refused to consider it but after much urging by his advisors he agreed. On May 5th 1216 Andreas signed a treaty with David and the rebellion was over. Andreas was given a pardon but his assets were seized and his noble title revoked. Andreas however didn’t care for although he had lost everything he had amassed a fortune which he had smuggled and hidden in Serbia(with close friends and relatives). Andreas crossed Rhomanoi territory and entered Serbia. It was here that he put his new plan into action. The assassination of the Serbian king and the seizure of the Serbian throne with the help of Sicily and Venice. He also converted to Catholicism winning support from Hungary and the pope to finance his mission to defeat and take Serbia.

Byzantine terms:
Skutatoi: The bulk of the byzantine infantry were the skutatoi, named from the word skutos, for their large oval shield. These men were professional soldiers paid by the state. The skutatoi evolved from the Comitatenses of the later empire and were equipped much as the same as legionares
Kantarion: Skutai wielding a ling 2-3meter spear
Toxotai and Psiloi: The standard light infantry of the empire, in each chiliarchia they made up the last three lines. These soldiers, highly trained in the art of bow, were formidable archers. Most of the Imperial archers came from Asia Minor, especially the region around Trebizond on the Black sea, where they were raised, trained and equipped.
The primary Byzantine infantry formations were the Chiliarchiai, from the Greek, chilia meaning thousand, because they had about 1000 fighting men. A Chiliarchy was made up of 650 skutatoi and 350 toxotai. The skutatoi formed a line of 20 ranks deep, in close shoulder to shoulder. The first line was called the kontarion, the first four lines were made up of skutatoi the remaining three of toxotai. Three or four Chiliarciai formed a Tagma (brigade) in the later empire (after 750).
The Chiliarciai were deployed not in classic checkered Quincunx pattern, but in a long line with enveloping flanks. Each chiliarchy could assume different battle formations depending on the tactical situation, the most common of these were: line formation deep formation, similar to a phalanx, which was generally used \in order to better repel a cavalry charge;wedge, used to break the enemy's lines. the toxotai advanced in the first line at intervals between the skutatoi, providing missile fire support while enjoying the skutatoi's protection against melees.
The Imperial Cataphract: was a heavy cavalry horse archer and lancer, who symbolized the power of Constantinople in much the same way as the Legionary represented the might of Rome.
The Byzantine cavalrymen and their horses were well trained and capable of performing complex maneuvres on the drill field and the battlefield alike. While a proportion of the Cataphrats (Kataphractos or Clibanophori) may have been lancers or archers only, most had both bows and lances and were equally deadly with either. Their main tactical unit was the Numerus (Also called at times Arithmos or Banda) of 300-400 men. The equivalent to the old Roman Cohort or the modern Battalion, the Numeri were usually formed in lines 8 to 10 ranks deep, making them almost a mounted Phalanx.
Hippo-toxotai: Mounted txotai
The imperial tagmata is basically the Imperial standing army. Here are the positions from highest to lowest.
the Skholai (Gr. Σχολαι, the "Schools"),
the Exkoubitoi (Gr. Εξκουβιτοι, the "Watchmen");
the Arithmoi (Gr. Αριθμοι, the "Numbers") or Vigla (Gr. υιγλα, the "Watch"); and
the tagma ton Hikanaton (Gr. Ικανατοι, the "Worthies").
These were cavalry units consisting of from 1-6,000 men each. A strength of 4,000 each appears to have been standard
Here are the terms I will be using when reffering to the various aristocratic members of the Byzantine empire
Basileus (Βασιλεύς)– the Greek word for "sovereign" which originally referred to any king in the Greek-speaking areas of the Roman Empire, such as Herod in Judea. It also referred to the emperors of Persia. Heraclius adopted it to replace the old Latin title of Augustus (Augoustos) in 629, and it became the Greek word for "emperor."
Porphyrogenitos (πορφυρογέννητος) - "born-in-the-purple": Emperors wanting to emphasize the legitimacy of their ascent to the throne appended this title to their names, meaning they were born in the delivery room of the imperial palace (called the Porphyra because it was panelled with slabs of purple marble), to a reigning emperor, and were therefore legitimate
Despotes (Δεσπότης) – This title ("despot") was created by Manuel I Comnenus in the 12th century, as the highest title after the emperor
Kaisar: fourth most important position
Army titles used:
Megas Domestikos: aka commander of the entie army
Domestikos ton Scholon: commander of scholae
Tourmarches – the commander of a tourma, an army division
Protospatharios – a senior officer in the imperial guard
Protostrator: second in command of army
Stratopedarches: army commander
Protokentarchos and kentarchos: division commanders
Merarches - a commander of a cavalry division

Basically these are some terms I wil be using from this update onwards to give the tl a realistic feel. So I suggest you memorize most of this or you will be completely lost because these are the terms that will be used for the rest of my updates. This is only a basic list for those readers who don’t do much research on Byzantine military.
I haven’t included court and naval titles because as of right now the updates will be focused more on land wars. Eventually I will add those lists as well.