Bolgars don't stick around in the Balkans

So the Rhomans invited Slavs to the Danube frontier as military settlers, and were eventually overwhelmed by them in the north, creating the basis for the Yugoslav peoples in the Balkans today. At some point, the Rhoman horde enemy of the week was the Bolgars, a Turkic people from the Volga watershed. These "barbarians" conquered large swaths of Rhoman territory and eventually ruled over Slavic and Greek subjects, centered in modern-day Macedonia. After time, the Bolgar elite began to assimilate with the local Slavic population and formed the nation of Bulgarian people. Though they were reconquered and invaded many times, the Slavic people of the southeast Balkan peninsula continued to identify as Bulgarian. My question is, if the Bolgars are kicked out of Moesia and Macedonia early, or are just overthrown by locals, what would that nation be called today? Did it have a pre-existing name? I know don't know where the names for Croatia, Servia, Poland, Bohemia, Bosnia, and the rest of the slavs came from (Slovenia, Slovakia, Slavonia make sense). If the "Bulgarians" aren't tainted by their nomadic rulers, would pan-Yugoslavism be a stronger force?

I wouldn't be surprised if the people would be called S(c)lavenoi and their political entity S(c)lavenia. I can see a certain tendency that Slavic tribes on the borders of Slavic settlements called themselves (or were called) just "Slavs". The northernmost Slavs who migrated into ugric lands nad later founded Novgorod were called Slověně, the slave who came into Alps inhabited by Roman and German people even today are called Slovene, the Slavs who settled in Carpathian Mountains under Avar, later Magyar domination, were called Slovaks.

There almost was a precedent: When Polish state was just forming, emperor Otto III called Bolesław the Brawe a ruler of Sclavinia. Only later the state of Bolesław got the name Polonia, from dominant tribe.

Last edited:
I know don't know where the names for Croatia, Servia, Poland, Bohemia, Bosnia, and the rest of the slavs came from (Slovenia, Slovakia, Slavonia make sense).

Poland - after "Polane", "lowlanders" - the region's dominant tribe.

Bohemia - "boii", a Celtic tribe inhabiting the region in Classical times, and an exonym. They call themselves Czechs after Forefather Czech, which is probably archaic for "man" (see Chelovek).

Moravia - probably after river Morava, also called themselves Czechs.

Serbia - After the early mediaeval Serbs/Sorbs, which is a difficult word to translate, and either means "Guardsman, watchman" or "Fellow tribesman"

Croatia - After the Croats, which are identified with the Goths in early foreign chronicles, but have a potentially Iranic-derived ethnonym. Arrived with the Huns, so the origin of the the name (Alan, Avar, Slav or Goth) is pretty impossible to establish. If the Iranian theory is right, "Hrvat" would mean something like along the lines of "person belonging to a group", which seems to be a common pattern of tribal naming (The People).

Bosnia (Bosna) - after the inland river Bosna, usually meant to distinguish from the Slavic-populated lands of the littoral. High Medieval is the first period of use.

Hope this helps some.