The Mongols Raze Europe, 1242

Hnau

Banned
Although the idea has been postulated time and time again, I’d like to bring the trope out into the open again in order to give it another look. I’d like to see a world in which Christian Europe is forced to its knees in the 13th century by Mongol hordes. It isn’t conquered, it isn’t converted, but something new is added to the cultural memory of the Austrians, Franks, Germans, and Italians: the memory of burning castles and genocidal barbarian horsemen. It’s a dark scenario because I’d like to see how the continental Europeans would adapt to such a tragedy and to see who would take advantage of the situation in the long run.

We know that Europe is full of forests and mountains and rivers and castles. It’s been argued that the Mongols didn’t have the logistics or manpower to take Europe in it’s entirety. Still I’d like to argue that the Mongol horseman was the best soldier the world had to offer in the 13th century. They were born into the life of war. Mongol warriors began riding horses practically from the cradle, they knew how to live off the land and they could travel hundreds of miles in a week with considerable endurance. For every man four or five additional horses were driven so they could always keep on the move. His double recurve bow was an accurate weapon of mass destruction in that he could shoot arrows as fast as they could be drawn striking targets 300 meters away. The Mongol warrior’s armor was light but effective for mobile combat. More important they obeyed orders. In comparison with the confused style of all-out brawl warfare that was popular in Europe, the Mongols coordinated attacks in a way seldom seen in the time period. Using a signaling system of colored banners, the general Sabotai could direct men as precisely as movements on a chessboard. There wouldn’t be an army as efficient and well managed for centuries. What’s worse is that the Mongols were ruthless and genocidal, their goal in battle was to slaughter all non-Mongols on the battlefield which made their campaigns much faster and more direct.

Yes, Europeans have castles, but I postulate that the Mongol army had what it needed to at least starve out the fortresses that they needed to... those that aren't strategically necessary to pillage the population centers are simply avoided after all surrounding farms are burnt down. It may have required quite a bit of luck, it’s true. The Mongol warrior was good for his time but he wasn’t perfect. Still, let’s assume that the Mongols arrive in the vicinity of Vienna in January 1242 with what they need to win. Perhaps General Sabotai has made a few needed reforms in the military structure; perhaps this ATL finds him even more of a genius than in OTL, perhaps for some reason in the years gone by the Mongols have conserved more men. Ogadai Khan remains alive for the entire year of 1242 and into the future and so doesn’t call back his forces from European frontiers. I’m not super concerned with the details of the POD but the main idea is that the Mongols are ready for this and have the means to do it.

The Mongols advance on Vienna in February and to their surprise the Viennese submit at once (lucky, lucky). They receive little mercy, though, as the Mongols permit the populace to leave the city, but then proceed to plunder and ransack what they had won. What`s worse is that shortly thereafter many of the survivors that had been promised at the very least peace are taken into slavery. Vienna is leveled like so many European cities will be and those who remain are scattered into the countryside.

It is at this time that a number of Central European noblemen decide that it’s time to pool their forces and defend the continent from the oncoming onslaught. The various princes attempt to coordinate a counterattack but they don’t have much more success than those who have come before them. After a few battles the Mongols force these ever-more desperate European foes to flee and scatter like the rest.

With the continent free for the taking, the Mongols divide their forces. The main army under Sabotai pushes towards the riches of the Low Countries. Munich is burnt to the ground and the Mongol horsemen push towards Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent. The cities are pillaged and after the wealth is stolen they are burnt and leveled. As a consequence the country’s system of windmills and dikes is destroyed and the sea reclaims Holland. The Rhine delta slowly reverts back to swamp. A Mongol detachment that carries with it the treasures of Hanover, having starved the city to submission before burning it down, reunites with Sabotai’s forces just before they make an offensive southward towards Rheims and finally Paris. They encounter the knights of young King Louis IX who defend their homeland bravely but ultimately fail to keep the Mongols from causing further bloodshed.

The capital of Paris is plundered and ruthlessly destroyed. General Sabotai then brings his army to rest at the broad meadows of central France where they pasture their horses. He begins to install a series of governors and tax collectors over those who remain huddled in crowded villages.

Meanwhile a large detachment led by Batu Khan had been ordered towards the cities of northern Italy after Vienna had fallen. His men push towards the Adriatic chasing remnants of the Hungarian military and then afterwards set their sights on the beautiful city of Venice. The city is difficult to take however and after losing time to a long fruitless siege (which nevertheless causes much damage to the Venetian economy) he decides to forge ahead towards the cities of Milan and Genoa. After Milan is razed to the ground and it’s treasures stolen, Batu is forced to deal with a counterattack led by Frederick II, the Holy Roman Emperor. Frederick had been wintering in Italy when the Mongols launched their invasion and had intrepidly unified his armies with papal forces to defend the peninsula from the Mongol hordes. Batu Khan thus faces a somewhat more difficult conquest. After forcing Frederick to retreat to the south Batu turns his sights on Genoa and Florence. Both cities surrender to his overpowering forces and are given the same treatment as Vienna. Bologna and other cities are ransacked as Batu Khan rampages towards Rome where Frederick and papal armies unite once again for another battle. The siege is difficult and bloody, but disorder and disorganization reigns on the European side leading to a victory late in the year. Frederick II is captured and trampled to death. Angry Mongols take what treasures and goods they can lift (especially from the churches), massacre those that get in the way (especially those in the churches), and leave the great city of Rome burning (especially the churches).

With slaves and riches in tow they make towards the Po valley where they find grass to feed their horses. Tribute is demanded of all inhabitants of northern Italy and is taken ruthlessly by the army of Batu Khan. Fortunately for Italy, Batu Khan decides to withdraw his forces to Vienna and Buda by spring of 1243. His offensive was rather taxing and the presence of a battered, but recuperating Venice means that this decision is strategically sound. Of course his men take all of the treasures and slaves that they have earned with them and burn as many farms and villages as they can on their way out.

For the rest of 1243 and 1244 Europeans struggle under the Mongol yoke. Based from central France Sabotai continues to launch raids against nearby untouched population centers such as Bordeaux and Toulouse. There are rebellions and uprisings. Noblemen lead coordinated attacks against Mongol forces. Sabotai and Batu do what they can to retain their acquisitions, but the occupation of Central and Western Europe is sapping too much of their strength too quickly for too few rewards. When Ogadai Khan perishes in the winter of 1244/45 the answer to all these problems is logical: the Mongols must relinquish their conquests and the generals must return to the homeland to elect a new Khan. In the end, the only conquest that the Mongols hang on to that they had taken during the 1242-1244 attacks on Europe is Vienna, which the Mongols had begun to transform into an administrative center. The Franks, the Germans and the Dutch rejoice when the tyrant governors and demanding tax collectors finally return to whence they came.

Yet the damage had already been done. More than 20% of the population of the northern half of Italy had perished. When looking at France, Germany and the Low Countries all of which had suffered an even longer occupation, the percentage of those that were killed by warfare and disease approaches 50% of the population. The desolation of the once-burgeoning European cities leaves it’s once proud people very humbled with bleak outlooks on the future.

Thoughts so far?

Last edited:
I used a similar scenario for a Vinland TL I started long ago.

Educated Europeans in general knew about Vinland in a vague way, and Scandinavians knew about it. It was just assumed to be an island in the North Atlantic, better climate than Iceland but with hostile natives. Producing nothing that could not be had much easier and closer from Northern Russia. Of interest to Greenlanders fetching wood, otherwise not much.

Mongol invasion caused a great intererst in getting away, with the remoteness suddenly becoming an advantage. And once people started going there, reports came back of better climate than expected with far less natives (opinions were formed just after the disease shock) interest grew.

The mongol invasion in my TL lasted longer, and was assumed to be bloodier. Poland, Hungary, Papal states, France, Hispanias, Teutonics and Denmark suffered considerably. The Hispanias did better, things bogged down in the Holy Roman Empire with a lot of damaging back and forth.

The British Isles, Sicily, and the Byzantines got off pretty untouched. So, ironically did Norway and Sweden, the primary sources of emigration.

ASB.

The Mongols faltered at the point where other horse-nomads from the steppes faltered, suggesting a common pattern. How would they have dealt with the harsh winter? The damp climate? The multiplicity of castles, each requiring a lengthy siege? The lack of pasture? They would have failed like the Huns before them.

Hmm...this gives me an idea. Not quite the Mongol-wank that is this TL, but one in which Germany too is ravaged before the Mongols are stopped. That would be intriguing, definitely...

ASB.

The Mongols faltered at the point where other horse-nomads from the steppes faltered, suggesting a common pattern. How would they have dealt with the harsh winter? The damp climate? The multiplicity of castles, each requiring a lengthy siege? The lack of pasture? They would have failed like the Huns before them.

Hmm...this gives me an idea. Not quite the Mongol-wank that is this TL, but one in which Germany too is ravaged before the Mongols are stopped. That would be intriguing, definitely...

For the weather, well.. Mongolia and central asia had HARSH weather paterns.. cold and heat both. Much dryness too.

What if it is done.. but indirectly? Nomads or sedentary groups, puling a Great Roman Invasions, pushed by Mongols in the back, like Huns? did?
A destroyed nation, hungry, desperate peoples.. going at their neighboors... Magyars, hungarians, by example? Persians into turkish lands?

For the weather, well.. Mongolia and central asia had HARSH weather paterns.. cold and heat both. Much dryness too.

You're missing the point. The Mongols used compound bows. The damp climate of Europe will destroy these. The Mongols also aren't used to the damp climate.

What if it is done.. but indirectly? Nomads or sedentary groups, puling a Great Roman Invasions, pushed by Mongols in the back, like Huns? did?
A destroyed nation, hungry, desperate peoples.. going at their neighboors... Magyars, hungarians, by example? Persians into turkish lands?

That might be possible, but one should note that the Magyars had been settled for centuries at this point - their tribal days were long behind them.

You're missing the point. The Mongols used compound bows. The damp climate of Europe will destroy these. The Mongols also aren't used to the damp climate.

That might be possible, but one should note that the Magyars had been settled for centuries at this point - their tribal days were long behind them.

Is Europe THAT damp? North Europe, maybe, the British Isles and around Scandinavia, maybe, but souther, it can get dry...

Not necesarly meanign directly return to tribalism, but desperate hordes of peoples who lost all, NEEDING new homes, food, etc...

Is Europe THAT damp? North Europe, maybe, the British Isles and around Scandinavia, maybe, but souther, it can get dry...

Not necesarly meanign directly return to tribalism, but desperate hordes of peoples who lost all, NEEDING new homes, food, etc...
You never gone to the low countries nothern France or Germany and central Europe.

Short answer: Love it. Please continue!

Long answer: Generally agree that the Mongols' domination would have allowed them time to innovate to European climate. Also agree that they would have probably ignored castles to focus on levelling and plundering surrounding areas.

However, I think you need to have more on the last stand battles of the European armies. I agree they would have lost, but I think more of a stand would have been made.

You also need to deal with how the Mongols deal with mountains in Italy, particularly as they march south. I think they'd have got bogged down in the peninsular. What happens to the Pope and the Catholic church? That is a crucial issue. You should also consider the emerging universities at the time, and whether they survive or not. I assume the innovative financial systems of the low countries get destroyed.

What do the kingdoms Iberia and Britain do? Do they try to help out the rest of Christendom? What happens to Byzantium?

Depends on your definition of damp, but, for the Mongols, its pretty wet everywhere north of the Alps and Pyrenees...

You also need to deal with how the Mongols deal with mountains in Italy, particularly as they march south. I think they'd have got bogged down in the peninsular. What happens to the Pope and the Catholic church? That is a crucial issue. You should also consider the emerging universities at the time, and whether they survive or not. I assume the innovative financial systems of the low countries get destroyed.

Well the Mongols were surprisingly tolerant of religions, and if they had a number of Christians in the army, they might be willing to talk to Rome rather than plunder it.

Well the Mongols were surprisingly tolerant of religions, and if they had a number of Christians in the army, they might be willing to talk to Rome rather than plunder it.

They were tolerant of religions, but not tolerant at all of rival sources of authority. I suspect the Pope and most of the cardinals would end up as mush in a sack, similar to their Islamic counterparts.

I actually did my first TL on this. Europe ends up becoming an incredibly backwards place akin to Russia in OTL and enters a new dark ages. The few spots in Europe better than OTL are rthe places untouched, like England, Denmark, Sweeden, Norway, The spanish nations, and the Byzantines.

The Mongol military was indeed extremely powerful...but I'm a bit perplexed. This ATL is quite interesting, I suggest you to tone the invasion a bit down to avoid turning it in a cheesy Mongol-wankfest.

The Alps, for example...a mounted army that crosses unopposed the mountains after razing to the ground half of Austria and forcing the (christian) survivors into slavery is hardly believable. Mongols sweeping into the northern marches of France and the Holy Roman Empire almost unopposed is equally strange. I suggest you to mount at least some kind of effective resistance. European militaries in those times were disorganized, yes, but nonethless more effective than the standing armies of the russian principalities. What about Spain and the Eastern Roman Empire being islands of civilization post-invasion? Strange that Byzantium, being a relatively weak and rich target does not take any flak in this timeline...and the spaniards? No moorish re-conquest of the peninsula after every european big player gets brained by the Horde?

Very, very strange. And quite unrealistic. I suggest you to balance it a little more.

Last edited:
They would have failed like the Huns before them.

I thought that the thing that did in the Huns was the unexpected and untimely death of Attila or his being there in the first place. He became the driving force that made the Huns so feared through his ruthlessness that when he died, there was a power vacuum that no one was able to fill.