Alternate ERE capitals

Crazy idea I thought of last night-what if Constantine had chosen somewhere besides Byzantium to be Nova Roma? I distinctly remember reading in my college History of the Roman Empire course last year that an emperor before Constantine (I want to say Diocletian, but I'm not 100% sure) made Chalcedon an eastern capital and declared it an "equal of Rome", but this didn't last beyond his death. If Constantine had continued with this, well, Chalcedon is quite near Byzantium, so its easy to imagine a *Byzantine Empire emerging like OTL. However, Chalcedon is on the Anatolian side of the Bosphorus rather than the European side, so it would be impossible for the *Byzantine navy to protect it from the Persians (and Arabs and Turks, if Islam isn't butterflied) the way they could with Constantinople. Might this cause the *Byzantines to focus more on their land army, and make them less of a naval power? Might *Byzantium fall earlier ITTL?

Beyond that, eastern Rome had plenty of other big cities Constantine could have concievably picked. Its interesting to think how history would have gone if the capital of the ERE had been in, say, Antioch or Alexandria. An Antioch-based ERE would have much less strategic depth vis-a-vis Persia than its OTL counterpart did, with interesting effects. However, for an Alexandria-based empire, the Sinai would provide a natural choke point against Persia or anyone else coming from the East, one that I think would be more likely to be used ITTL. Egypt, after all, would be the center of this ERE rather than the distant, often-discontented province it was IOTL. Unlike IOTL, the capital's food supply would be a lot less of a headache, since Alexandria is sitting almost on top of the grain farms of the Nile. Something like the Chalcedonian schism is, I think, unlikely to happen-or if it did, it would probably be in reverse, with Egypt being Orthodox and Anatolia being schismatic. An Alexandria-based empire will probably Copticise over the course of time as well, and would likely produce an Egypt much more resistant to the Arabs than OTL.

Thoughts?

Considering that Constantine had no problem starting small (Byzantium was a small fishing village after all), I always thought that Illium might have been a good choice. Besides, the idea of the ERE going down in history as the Trojan Empire is too good to pass up!

I guess the question is, why (for instance) Antioch? What does Antioch have that justifies establishing it as Constantine did?

Constantinople is extremely defensible (being on peninsula is nice) - which is a good reason to build it up as the Eastern Capital.

As for a land versus naval power: Probably not, the navy was already the junior service.

As for the state falling earlier: Its possible - or it might reestablish the capital in somewhere else within the territory it continued to hold. Depends on specifics.

Considering that Constantine had no problem starting small (Byzantium was a small fishing village after all), I always thought that Illium might have been a good choice. Besides, the idea of the ERE going down in history as the Trojan Empire is too good to pass up!

Byzantium was considerably more important than a fishing village- it was a reasonably important commercial town, probably on the same level as something like London, Cologne or Tyre. It was important enough to play an active role in various civil wars, and to be treated to a major hippodrome by Septimus Severus.

Regarding alternative capitals, Alexandria and Antioch can both be ruled out- Alexandria's too far from the Balkans, and Antioch's too close to Persia. The region around the Sea of Marmara is something of a "goldilocks zone"for the ERE, and once you're in the Marmara area, the attractions of Byzantium as a site for a capital become very clear indeed.

I think continuing use of Nicomedia as an Imperial capital is possible. But if one wants to set up an entirely new foundation as Constantine did, Byzantium is the obvious choice for anyone.

Constantine had already began building a new city in Troas where after a "divine" dream changed his mind and abandoned Troas in favour of Byzantium...