Thread of ATL Swisterland ideas

kinda like my topic on a Romanche Swisterland, and other posts of mine...

How changes up the nation some, mix things. PODs, ideas...

I played with languages some in my Retho-romanche Swisterland thread... So, how turning the tides more? A deeply, much more french (base french, or the franco-provencial dialects), or german (dialectal, maybe austria, etc.. if this is even possible) Alt. Swisterland? Hell, a more serious italian presence?

Or religions, maybe? I forgot the details, but isn't OTL Swisterland a bit mixed, mixed to some % between Roman Catholicism and Calvinist(I think) Protestanism? How about converting it deeper to one or the other, or.. another option, like Lutherians coming in the panel?

There is also territorial changes, but it was touched in other threads... Some small expensions is maybe possible, limited.. or could Swisterland loose some cantons, eitheir to a local power, or maybe even going independant?

My timeline has its POD in Switzerland, and though I've been mostly quiet there I have plans for it down the line. Right now its just a chaotic bloody mess, so very not-OTL Switzerland.

I know SavoyTruffle's Two Lucky Princes features Switzerland in his timeline, with what appears to be an alt-Reformation there iirc.

Doesn't Jared's Decades of Darkness also feature a fundamentally different Switzerland? Kingdom of Switzerland that's eventually incorporated into Germany, again iirc.

The last one make me think of one side I forgot - the political make up, style of gov. of Swisterland...

Maybe something more united, more federal?

My timeline has its POD in Switzerland, and though I've been mostly quiet there I have plans for it down the line. Right now its just a chaotic bloody mess, so very not-OTL Switzerland.

I know SavoyTruffle's Two Lucky Princes features Switzerland in his timeline, with what appears to be an alt-Reformation there iirc.

Doesn't Jared's Decades of Darkness also feature a fundamentally different Switzerland? Kingdom of Switzerland that's eventually incorporated into Germany, again iirc.

Yes, Switzerland is the center of the alt-Reformation TTL, with Zwingli being remembered more than Luther (who's just an Augustinian of little renown TTL).

More ideas?

How would one turn Swisterland a catholic place more instead, by example, to go along the last post?

Is there religious or ethnic minorities who could end up in Swisterland, changing things some?

More ideas?

How would one turn Swisterland a catholic place more instead, by example, to go along the last post?

Is there religious or ethnic minorities who could end up in Swisterland, changing things some?

Ubbergeek, are you looking for anything in particular or just musing aloud? If we knew where it was exactly you were heading with this thread you might get some more helpful comments. :)

For a while now I've been fascinated by the concept of a mild Swiss-wank where Lombardy joins in mid/late 19th cent.

After the crisis of 1848, the King of Prussia demanded the throne of the Principality of Neuchatel be restored to him, and one of the ideas which was suggested, and pushed for by Britain in particular, was to do this, but seperate the Principality from the Swiss Confederation (this being before the centralising reforms of the 1840s and 50s it was more feasible). Theoretically, we could have a second Liechtenstein on our hands here.

More like annexed.

In one of my timelines I was planning for France to conquer Geneva in the late 17th or early 18th century and kick all the protestants out, who would flee to the Netherlands, England and/or their colonies (including a surviving New Netherlands). BTW not all of French speaking Switserland, just Geneva.

The Stranger visits Adrian von Bubenberg on June 23 1476 and tells him that the Swiss must conquer all of the world, as only the über-neutralist Swiss are of the right mind for such a task. By 1700, the Swiss Confederacy extends from Dublin to Constantinople...

The Stranger visits Adrian von Bubenberg on June 23 1476 and tells him that the Swiss must conquer all of the world, as only the über-neutralist Swiss are of the right mind for such a task. By 1700, the Swiss Confederacy extends from Dublin to Constantinople...

Good idea for ASB lines, I guess.

But we were serious..:eek:;)

Good idea for ASB lines, I guess.

But we were serious..:eek:;)

I know, I just had to throw that one in because the idea seemed hilarious. ;)

Well, I guess the historicity about it is a little fuzzy, but something interesting would be to let the PoD be that William Tell misses the famous apple and instead kills his son.

Good old Wiki has the following to say about it:

"There are several accounts of the Tell legend. The earliest sources give an account of the apple-shot, Tell's escape and the ensuing rebellion. The assassination of Gessler is not mentioned in the Tellenlied, but is already present in the White Book of Sarnen account.

The legend as told by Tschudi (ca. 1570) goes as follows: William Tell, who originally came from Bürglen, was known as an expert shot with the crossbow. In his time, the Habsburg emperors of Austria were seeking to dominate Uri. Albrecht (or Hermann) Gessler, the newly appointed Austrian Vogt of Altdorf, raised a pole in the village's central square, hung his hat on top of it, and demanded that all the townsfolk bow before the hat. When Tell passed by the hat without bowing to it, he was arrested. As punishment, he was forced to shoot an apple off the head of his son, Walter; otherwise, both would be executed. Tell was promised freedom if he successfully made the shot. On 18 November 1307, Tell split an apple on his son's head with a bolt from his crossbow. Gessler noticed that before the shot Tell had removed two crossbow bolts from his quiver, not one, and after the shot asked him why. Tell replied that if he had killed his son, he would have used the second bolt on Gessler himself. Gessler was angered, and had Tell bound. He was brought to Gessler's ship to be taken to his castle at Küssnacht. As a storm broke on Lake Lucerne, the soldiers were afraid that their boat would capsize, and unbound Tell, asking him to steer. Tell made use of the opportunity to escape, leaping from the boat at the site now known as the Tellsplatte.

Tell went by land to Küssnacht, and when Gessler arrived, Tell assassinated him, shooting him with his crossbow as he passed along a narrow stretch of the road from Immensee to Küssnacht, now known as the Hohle Gasse. Tell's defiance sparked a rebellion, in which he played a leading part. The struggle eventually led to the formation of the Swiss Confederation. He fought again against Austria in the 1315 Battle of Morgarten. Tschudi also has an account of Tell's death in 1354 according to which he was killed trying to save a child from drowning in the Schächenbach river in Uri."

I was thinking of Aquilea joining Switzerland instead of being annexed, but if they joined Switzerland there would be Slovenian minorities in Switzerland.