O Quinto Império - A Different Spain TL

Hi, everyone! I'm new in this forum, but I've been reading other people's TLs for a long time, so, I decided to write one myself :)
Comments and sugestions are welcome! (specially about my poor english skills...)
So, here's the first chapter!! I'm expecting feedback to continue this :)

130px-PortugueseFlag1475.png
O Quinto Império - A Spain TL

Excerpt from the “ História Moderna de Espanha ” by Tomás Cavalcante d’Oliveira.

[...]

In the summer of 1462 was born the first and only child of the King Henrique IV of Castile, Joana, named as her mother, the long-awaited heiress of the Castilian throne. This birth provoked great disturbance in the court, as the aged king was taken as an infertile. The rumor was that the princess was actually the daughter of a high-rank noble, Dom Beltrão de la Cueva, a known lover of the queen consort, Joana of Portugal.

Pressures from part of the nobility made the king nominate his brother’s son, Afonso, as the true heir in 1464. The actions of the weak-willed king proved that the latter move wasn’t enough to satisfy the nobility, leading to a conspiracy that would overthrow of the king and the subsequent crowning of the infante Dom Afonso. This led to a minor war that ended in 1468, with the mysterious death of the 14-year old King Afonso.

The feeble king Henrique regained the throne but the struggle wasn’t finished. In 1468, Henry granted under pressure the title of Princess of Asturias to Isabella, his sister, as the true heiress of the Castilian throne, but was also in the pact that her future marriage should be approved by his brother.

At the age of three, Isabella was betrothed to Ferdinando the son of Juan II of Aragon. Nonetheless, Henrique IV broke this agreement six years later so that she could marry Carlos IV of Navarre, another son of the king of Aragon. This marriage did not come about because of John’s refusal. In February 1464 Henrique offered to marry Isabella to King Edward IV of England, an offer which was also declined. Other attempts were to marry Isabella to Alfonso V of Portugal. In 1464, Henry managed to unite Afonso and Isabella in the Royal Monastery of Santa Maria de Guadalupe, but she refused him because of the great age difference between them.

In 1469, a final agreement between Portugal and Castile was finished. Joana, the daughter of Henrique IV, should be married to her uncle, Afonso V of Portugal, and Isabella should marry his son, the heir of the Portuguese throne, John, only 3 years younger than her; thereby, uniting the crowns of Castile and Portugal, maintaining the honor of Joan and conserving Isabella as the final heiress of the crown. That was the greatest political maneuver of the, so-called weak, Castilian king.

Henrique IV died in 1475 leaving his kingdom to his sister and the Portuguese infante with little commotion of the supporters of Joana, that later renounced hers claims. In 1480, Afonso V of Portugal also died, with the final union of the kingdoms, becoming Isabella and John the kings of Portugal and of Castile, tanto monta, monta tanto.

Last edited:
Great start. I almost wrote a similar TL once (Isabella still married Ferdinand but lost the succession war) but had to leave the forum after posting the first chapter and eventually forgot about it. Glad someone elseis going to explore a Castilian-Portuguese union.

I'm intrigued about the use of Portuguese-sounding names. Is it deliberate?

So, here's the second part!! Ah, please, send me your feedback!
My TL has has almost two PODs... :p
Hope you guys like it!

Excerpt from “ Encyclopaedia Burgundiana “ by Various Authors

[…]

Charles I The Restorer [1] inherited from his father one of the greatest dominions in Western Europe, going from the vineyards of Burgundy to the bourgeois cities of the Netherlands, his landholdings rivaled those of many of the royal families. Considering himself a ruler by Divine Right, Charles worked to build in his many possessions a unified and centralized state, making him a permanent threat for the King of France.

To resist Louis XI, Charles sought to ally himself sometimes to the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III of Habsburg and sometimes with Edward IV of England. Finally, in 1469, A treaty was concluded with the Habsburgs, the Treaty of Saint-Omer, which mentioned the selling of the Habsburg territories in Upper Alsace to Charles. The agreement also stipulated a mutual defense in case of war. With these new territories, Burgundy became a direct neighbor of the Swiss Confederacy, and thus a key ally to Sigismund.

In 1470, the life of the warrior king suffered a turning point. In a regular hunting practice with Aragon’s Ambassador, which was trying to make arrangements to marry the King of Aragon Ferdinand II with Charles’ only daughter, Mary of Burgundy, the Duke fell off his horse, greatly afflicting his health. After that day, Charles never entered a battlefield again, making himself to focus in a diplomatic way to fulfill his dream to build his kingdom. In 1473, it was finally decided who would marry the greatest heiress in Europe: Mary was going to marry Nicholas I of Lorraine [2], what would physically unite the Burgundian heart of the realm to the Netherlands domains.

[…]

The pressures of Sigismund and the constant rebellions finally led to an open conflict with the Confederacy, which finished in 1475 in the Battle of Héricourt with death of Pierre de Hagenbach, the greatest military leader in the Duchy. A truce was established with the Swiss giving them back Upper Alsace. This minor defeat, however, consolidated the alliance between the Houses of Austria and Burgundy. In 1476, it was given by the Holy Emperor Frederick III at the Trier’s Cathedral the title of King of Burgundy to Charles, claiming himself to be the restorer of the medival Burgundian Kingdom.

A military reaction of the Kingdom of France came out almost immediately, but it was repealed by the leadership of Nicholas I of Lorraine, lastly defeating the French in the Battle of Nancy (1481). In the same year, the marriage between Nicholas and Mary was finally celebrated. The great King Charles would only die in 1489, leaving the Kingdom to his daughter, Queen Mary I of Burgundy.

[1] Charles The Bold in OTL
[2] In OTL Nicholas dies poisoned by the French in 1473, this was butterflied away.

Last edited:
Ironically that means the Habsburgs aren't the super-strong dynasty they were in OTL, what with Valois-Burgundy retaining their rivalry with their cousins in Paris.

I think your POD is interesting, but I just don't buy the idea of the Emperor making the Duke of Burgundy a king. I know Charles made everything possible IOTL to convince him to do so, but there is still the fact that the Habsburgs weren't interested in giving recognition of power to someone who officially was their vassal.

Thank you for the feedback!! It's always nice to see that people a reading your story! :)

I'm intrigued about the use of Portuguese-sounding names. Is it deliberate?

And yes, I think that in a Portuguese-Castillan Union, Lisbon would be natural political center. Firstly, because of the way that ended the War of Castillan Succession (A Portuguese Victory), and mostly because it was the biggest city and the bourgeois center of the peninsula, uniting the commercial routes of the Mediterranean with the routes from the North Sea, and, a little bit after, the commercial center with Africa and Asia.

Ironically that means the Habsburgs aren't the super-strong dynasty they were in OTL, what with Valois-Burgundy retaining their rivalry with their cousins in Paris.

Too early to say that... I still have plans for the Habsburgs... :)

The problem with 'charles the great' as a name is that its taken.....

That was actually my point! The people from this TL would call him like that to refer to the great ruler that was Charlemagne.
As for the probable name confusion, people from my TL would call OTL's Le Teméraire just as Le Grand. As Charlemagne would be mostly refered in his latin sobriquet, as OTL.

I think your POD is interesting, but I just don't buy the idea of the Emperor making the Duke of Burgundy a king. I know Charles made everything possible IOTL to convince him to do so, but there is still the fact that the Habsburgs weren't interested in giving recognition of power to someone who officially was their vassal.

Well, according to Wikipedia, (Not the best source... bref...) this almost happened in OTL. Frederick III, the HRE, changed his mind a day before the coronation. Ah, if it stills sounds a little bit implausible, almost the same thing happed in OTL a few centuries later with the permission of coronation of the King in Prussia, after his help in the War of Spanish Succession.

Last edited:
Well, according to Wikipedia, (Not the best source... bref...) this almost happened in OTL. Frederick III, the HRE, changed his mind a day before the coronation. Ah, if it stills sounds a little bit implausible, almost the same thing happed in OTL a few centuries later with the permission of coronation of the King in Prussia, after his help in the War of Spanish Succession.

But remember that he made the Elector of Brandenburg as King in Prussia, a territory that didn't belong to the HRE, as so wouldn't upset that much the balance of power inside the Empire. If he had made him King of Brandenburg instead than all the other Elector might have claimed crowns for them.

About Charles's kingdom, there is here after page 150: http://books.google.com.br/books?id...ZJTt_UKoKIsQKs6dySCA&sa=X#v=onepage&q&f=false

But remember that he made the Elector of Brandenburg as King in Prussia, a territory that didn't belong to the HRE, as so wouldn't upset that much the balance of power inside the Empire. If he had made him King of Brandenburg instead than all the other Elector might have claimed crowns for them.

About Charles's kingdom, there is here after page 150: http://books.google.com.br/books?id...ZJTt_UKoKIsQKs6dySCA&sa=X#v=onepage&q&f=false

Well, the Duchy of Burgundy was actually a nominal vassal of France and Charles had territories both within and without the Empire. Your book source says that one of the great difficulties of the creation of Charles' Kingdom was his arrogance (that's one of the reasons that he was called the bold, by the way), only wanting the title of the King of Romans, the title of the heir of the Empire, that would technically come back to the Habsburgs as Mary of Burgundy would marry Maximilian. In this TL, as you saw, Charles is less bold in his actions after his accident, finally focusing his energy in the diplomacy, accepting the title of King of Burgundy. Sure it will bring instability to the Empire, specially in the region of the Rhine, but, in the eyes of Frederick, that region was already in big trouble because of the Swiss, so it would be wiser to just gain a ally against the Confederacy than to risk that the rebellion spread through the Empire, specially Austria, their biggest dominions.

Last edited:
Ummm.... but latin is still being used a lot and carolus magnus would be the same for each. Moreover the dutch speaking parts of his territory are likely to use karl de grosse ... or something for both. I think the distinction yourre trying to make only works in french and english.

I suppose the porto-castillians will concentrate in Africa and the way to India, instead of in the Americas: Castillian manpower + Portuguese seafaring.

What are going to do the Aragonese? They are still suffering from the consequences of the Black Death and France would be hostile. I suppose they will end in the orbit of the Porto-Castillians.

Ummm.... but latin is still being used a lot and carolus magnus would be the same for each. Moreover the dutch speaking parts of his territory are likely to use karl de grosse ... or something for both. I think the distinction yourre trying to make only works in french and english.

Ah, ok, you're probably right, I was thinking in English. Well, I'd name him Charles, the Wise (to contrast with the OTL's Bold), but, there's already a French king named like that. So, I'll name him Charles, the Restorer, as he was the restorer of the old Burgundian Kingdom.

I suppose the porto-castillians will concentrate in Africa and the way to India, instead of in the Americas: Castillian manpower + Portuguese seafaring.

What are going to do the Aragonese? They are still suffering from the consequences of the Black Death and France would be hostile. I suppose they will end in the orbit of the Porto-Castillians.

Interesting notes, I already thought about that actually, but I'll not comment it now to not ruin the next posts... :p
What can I say is that Aragon is not in good terms with both France and TTL's Spain for now.

Ah, ok, you're probably right, I was thinking in English. Well, I'd name him Charles, the Wise (to contrast with the OTL's Bold), but, there's already a French king named like that. So, I'll name him Charles, the Restorer, as he was the restorer of the old Burgundian Kingdom.

Interesting notes, I already thought about that actually, but I'll not comment it now to not ruin the next posts... :p
What can I say is that Aragon is not in good terms with both France and TTL's Spain for now.

I like the name Charles the Restorer for him actually, I wonder how would Burgundy look like in the end..wait..Nicolas could still inherit Provence and Anjou, who will inherit them?

this is a very intresting TL. Is ITTL spain still going to take Granada or will Aragon try to act fast? is there a chance of an alliance?