AH.com podcast #4 - topic TBA

AH.com podcast #4 - alternate science and tech

Time and date is set for August 6, 20:00 GMT (keep in mind: most of us are going on summer time).

The topic is alternate science and tech.

As usual if you want to participate you need Skype and an account (as well as a microphone). PM me your Skype name and I'll add you to my contact list and put you in the conversation as it starts.

Last edited:
How about Saturday, July 30 for the date? As to the topic, I've been doing a lot of reading about the development of the Mediterranean from 1500 BCE at start of the international age to the collapse triggered by the migration of "Sea Peoples" (believed to be Greek and Greek-influenced areas of the Mediterranean) in 1200 BCE to the rise of the Phoenecian City states and onward, maybe even to the Rise of the Achaemenids.

Why not the US Civil War? That's a popular AH subject...

I'm trying to move away from the narrow set of topics and instead touch upon a more general, broader "theme", so to speak, rather than have shows about specific events.

However, at some point I'm sure the ACW will show up. It's more or less inevitable.

How about Saturday, July 30 for the date? As to the topic, I've been doing a lot of reading about the development of the Mediterranean from 1500 BCE at start of the international age to the collapse triggered by the migration of "Sea Peoples" (believed to be Greek and Greek-influenced areas of the Mediterranean) in 1200 BCE to the rise of the Phoenecian City states and onward, maybe even to the Rise of the Achaemenids.

I may be away on that day, to Finland.

How about August 6?

August 6 should be good.

Alternate technologies will likely devolve into steampunk, but it could still be interesting.

Thande

Donor
Why not do both alternate technology and alternate terminology? The two subjects strongly overlap after all, given a lot of alternate terminology is about different names for the same technologies/inventions.

Why not do both alternate technology and alternate terminology? The two subjects strongly overlap after all, given a lot of alternate terminology is about different names for the same technologies/inventions.

Indeed.

I thought maybe we could call it alternate science and tech? It would obviously include alternate terminology as a quite significant part of it, so that would be in there as well. We could then further explore the subject of terminology at a later date (I want to do an alternate linguistics episode at some point anyway).

Thande

Donor
Indeed.

I thought maybe we could call it alternate science and tech? It would obviously include alternate terminology as a quite significant part of it, so that would be in there as well. We could then further explore the subject of terminology at a later date (I want to do an alternate linguistics episode at some point anyway).

That sounds fine.

Time and date set. August 6, 20:00 GMT as before (with summer time that's 9 PM British time, 22:00 in western and central Europe, and the rest of you will have to do your own math ;)).

Topic decided as alternate science and tech.

I guess I need to ask a mod to change the topic of the thread.

Thande

Donor
Ah...sorry guys, should have realised earlier, but I can't do August 6th--for AH.com related reasons no less, as I'm meeting RCTFI in London that weekend. How about the week after? Otherwise I'm afraid I won't be able to make this one.

Thande

Donor
I find this statement highly amusing for some reason.

Well, it's a better excuse than something that doesn't involve AH.com. This is no mere close relative's funeral or matter of national security, this is a case where the (highly important) work of the podcast nonetheless clashes with the sacred cause of pursuing international AH.com meetups!