Transylvanian Teutons

As a result of these two threads ( here and here ), I've decided to write something, mostly with the purpose of "getting my feet wet", as this is the first time I'm posting something like this. So, here it goes :

The (Alternate) History of the Teutonic Order in the Lands of Ancient Dacia

I

The two armies stood face to face on a field near Nagyvárad. It was clear even for an untrained eye, that the army ocuppying the western part of the field was in disadvantage, both numerical and in terms of morale. On the opposing part of the plain, with one of its flanks supported by the Sebes-Körös river, a huge army, numbering almost 10000 men, was proudly flying it’s banners. Among them the banner of the Papacy, a symbol of the justness of their cause, was waving in the wind. The soldiers felt protected by the divinity every time they looked at the banner. Thousands of noble knights flocked from all over Europe, to join this army, when Pope Honorius III called them “to enforce the justice of God”.

The leader of this army, Bela of Hungary, Herceg of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia, and the son of King Andrew II of Hungary and Croatia, was making an attempt to depose his father. The rift between father and son was produced four years earlier, when the king ordered his son to separate from his wife, Maria Laskarina, daughter of the Emperor of Nicaea, with whom, Andrew himslef arranged this marriage. When the Pope denied to declare the marriage null and void, Bella and his wife fled to Austria. There, the Prince started to gather support against his father. This wasn’t such a heavy task, as Andrew was already very unpopular, due to his excessive taxes, raised to cover the expenses of the unsuccessful 5th Crusade.

When the relation between Andrew and his nobles plummeted to the ground in 1222, because the king refused to issue a bull which enlarged the power and privileges of the nobility, many nobles sent word to Bela that they would support him if he tries to take the throne.[1] Andrew quickly lost the support of the Transylvanian Saxons and the Teutonic Order, when he refused to grant them higher autonomy within the Kingdom. As a result Hermann von Salza left for Rome, where he supported in front of the Pope, Bela’s cause. Bela already had the support of the Duke of Austria, and thanks to the mediation of Hermann von Salza, he got the approval of the Holy Roman Emperor, Frederick II, another close friend of von Salza. Also, the Hochmeister managed to persuade the Pope to back Bela. The Pope excommunicated Andrew II and declared Bela the rightful King of Hungary and Croatia. This was the last spark needed for the situation to explode. As Bela started to assemble his army, in the anarchic Hungary, noble after noble was rebelling against Andrew. Hermann von Salza placed his lands in Burzenlad under the protection of the Pope, and although very unpopular among the Hungarian nobility, von Salza’s support was welcomed by the rebels.

Meanwhile, in Austria, French, Italian, German and Burgundian knights were coming to fight for the army blessed by the Pope. Andrew was left only with the support of a few loyal nobles and of his veterans from the Crusade. The King and his supporters decided to march on Transylvania, where most of the rebels were coming from. This proved to be a major mistake as it allowed Bela to cross into Hungary. Through every fiefdom he was passing, Bela’s ranks were growing, as the nobles who didn’t rebelled yet, were left with the choice of confronting Bela on their own or join him. On 21 June 1224, Bela entered Székesfehérvár unopposed, and proclaimed himself King of Hungary and Croatia as Bela IV. All he needed now was the Crown of Saint Stephen from his father. In Transylvania, Andrew had won a few small victories against the rebels, and now he was laying siege on the city of Nagyvárad.

Bela then headed towards Nagyvárad, taking every stronghold in his path, without much of a fight. In September 1224, Bela reached Nagyvárad. His army merged with the army of several rebels, including a Teutonic force of 2000 men. Andrew II found himself trapped between the walls of Nagyvárad and Bela’s army. Bela asked for a meeting with his father and the two met in the middle of what will soon turn into a bloody battlefield. Bela asked his father to surrender and he will grant amnesty for him and every follower of his. The reckless old King refused only by noding his head and turned his back to his son, returning to his lines without speaking a word to Bela.

The battle soon started, but by evening it was already over. As expected, it was a slaughter. Most of Andrew’s follower found their deaths this day, including the old king, hit by an arrow in the opening phases of the battle. The rest of them were taken prisoners by Bela’s men. Bela feasted for three days in Nagyvárad, with his followers. During these days, the new king granted all the requests that his father refused. More power for the nobility, autonomy for the Saxons and sovereignity over Burzenland for the Teutons. The acts are known as the Golden Bull and the Diploma Belorum[2]. The Saxons of Southern Transylvania were granted by the Diploma Belorum special liberties, such as electing their own leaders and freely using „the forrests of the Romanians and the Pechenegs”.

[1] This is the POD. OTL Andrew accepted the demands and issued the Golden Bull, relieving the tense situation in Hungary.
[2] A parallel to the OTL Diploma Andreanum, issued by his father, Andrew. I don't know if "Diploma Belorum" is the right form, so please correct me if it's not.

Last edited:
And a map of the Saxon Seats and the Teutonic lands.

Legend :
Districtul Brasov (in the south-east of the map) = The lands of the Teutonic Order
Scaunul Sibiului = Hermannsdorf (later Hermannstadt), the main seat of the Saxons
Sebes, Seica, Medias, Sighisoara, Districtul Bistrita, etc. = minor Saxon seats

AEZARE~1.PNG

abc123

Banned
, Bela of Hungary, Ban of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia, and the son of King Andrew II of Hungary and Croatia,

If I'm not wrong, Bela should be Herceg of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia, since Herceg/Duke title was reserved for royals ( younger sons of King or Heirs to learn to rule as Herceg ) and was above title of Ban. It was allmost a king...

Whu........This is going to be fun:D:D:D:D:D

subscribed

Thanks for the enthuziasm !

If I'm not wrong, Bela should be Herceg of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia, since Herceg/Duke title was reserved for royals ( younger sons of King or Heirs to learn to rule as Herceg ) and was above title of Ban. It was allmost a king...

Yeah, you're right. Ban was the traditional title of the rulers of those territories but in this case Herceg is the correct title. I'll edit it right now. Thanks !

Hmmm Teutons in Siebenbürgen, the German name for Transylavania, which means seven towns, which were Mediasch (Mediaş), Mühlbach (Sebeş), Hermanstadt (Sibiu), Clausenburg (Cluj), Schässburg (Sighişoara), Reussmarkt (Miercurea), Broos (Orăştie), Bistritz ( Bistriţa) and Kronstadt (Braşov). Although apart from Hermanstadt/Sibiu and Clausenburg/Cluj I had to look them up;). I also found that the other German names: Reps (Rupea), Gross-Schenck (Cincu), Leschkirch (Nocrich) and Şeica is probably Marktschelken (Şeica Mare).
I looking forward to see more of this TL:).

Last edited:
Hmmm Teutons in Siebenbürgen, the German name for Transylavania, which means seven towns, which were Mediasch (Mediaş), Mühlbach (Sebeş), Hermanstadt (Sibiu), Clausenburg (Cluj), Schässburg (Sighişoara), Reussmarkt (Miercurea), Broos (Orăştie), Bistritz ( Bistriţa) and Kronstadt (Braşov). Although apart from Hermanstadt/Sibiu and Clausenburg/Cluj I had to look them up;). I also found that the other German names: Reps (Rupea), Gross-Schenck (Cincu), Leschkirch (Nocrich) and Şeica is probably Marktschelken (Şeica Mare).

Yep, that's right. Last year I was planing to go on a tour of those cities but it got cancelled. Most of them still have their medieval fortifications standing, so it would had been interesting. Maybe this year, who knows ...

This will be extremely interesting.

Thanks!

I looking forward to see more of this TL:).

Here you go:p. Short update, though.

II

Seeing his goal achieved, Hermann von Salza started consolidating the economy and infrastructure of the Burzenland. The Teutons had already fortified the area, in the past 13 years, since the late King Andrew II had invited them in Transylvania. The German settlers were also thriving in the area, building mines, cultivating the land and expanding the towns. The biggest city, Corona, or Kronstadt, transformed into his hedquarters by von Salza, was whitnessing a great flow of trade and the city was growing by the hour. Although a vassal of the Pope, von Salza knew that he was practically independent. A Hungarian historian notes that „Von Salza acted exactly like a Prince in his own Principality”. But the ambitious Grandmaster soon developed another ambition. To exted his influence over the Saxon Seats of Southern Transylvania.

Back in Hungary, the new King Bela IV was starting to feel the inconvienients of his compromises with the nobility. In 1225, along with his brother Coloman, the new Herceg of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia, he started to take back lands granted to several nobles. He also started an attempt to regain the old royal power, he renounced to in order to get the nobles support. This made several nobles to doubt the kings word and feared they would loose theire newly gained privilleges.

Irronically, in 1226 Bela also embarked himself in one of his father’s old quests. His youngest brother, Andrew II of Halych, requested his aid against the invading Prince Mstislav of Novgorod. Halych had been an apple of dicord between Andrew and Mstislav for a long time, and now his son was continuing this tradition. In 1214 Coloman was made Prince of Halych, and after his father’s intervention to the Pope, King. Coloman was expelled by Mstislav in 1219, and Halych was granted to his younger brother Andrew, who married Mstislav’s daughter. Now the Rus Prince was invading again. Andrew II agreed to help his brother, but by the end of the year, Mstislav had defeated them. In spite of this, after tense negotiations the Hungarian Prince managed to keep the throne of Halych.

Meanwhile, von Salza was using this breathing time to his advantage. He managed to gain some influence within several of the Saxon Diets. Also, Burzenland had never been so prosperous and with the King away, either in Croatia or in Halych, the Hochmeister expanded his domains, at the expense of some neighbouring Hungarian barons, whose complaints didn’t reached the ears of the King. Another acomplishment of von Salza, was to convince the Pope to grant him the task of bringing the word of Christ to the Cumans, until then a task of the Apostolic Kingdom of Hungary. This gave the Teutons the motive to start crossing the Carpathians into what was known then as „Black Cumania” (OTL Wallachia). They started conquering small regions and quickly fortyfing them, tactics also used in the Holy Land. Following the course of rivers, they reached as far as Targoviste, on the Ialomita River. This marked the begining of the so called „Cuman Crusades”.

Elsewhere, the Epirotes, Nicaeans, Bulgarians and Latins were locked in a struggle over the Southern Balkans.

I'm going to guess the Cumans and local Wallachians would undergo Germanization by the Teutonic Knights in TTL as the Prussians and other Baltic tribes faced in the Northern Crusades in OTL? Will they become completely Germanized or will they manage to have better luck and eventually oust the Order from their lads? The second update was a bit on the short side for me but hey I liked it!

I'm going to guess the Cumans and local Wallachians would undergo Germanization by the Teutonic Knights in TTL as the Prussians and other Baltic tribes faced in the Northern Crusades in OTL? Will they become completely Germanized or will they manage to have better luck and eventually oust the Order from their lads? The second update was a bit on the short side for me but hey I liked it!

The Cumans won't survive almost certainly. The Vlachs, maybe, or they could hit the road. To Northern Greece, I'm thinking.

And yeah, the second update is kind of vague. What was it exactly, that you found to be not so well thought ?

Kosta

Banned
The Cumans won't survive almost certainly. The Vlachs, maybe, or they could hit the road. To Northern Greece, I'm thinking.

And yeah, the second update is kind of vague. What was it exactly, that you found to be not so well thought ?

You know, all those Vlachs looking for a homeland could be influential in breathing new life into the Empire by having more manpower to protect ourselves with. Or they could tear the Empire apart...

I kind of figured the Cumans aren't going to make it in the long run since there's so few of them. Whichever ones aren't killed are probably sold into slavery by the Teutonic Knights or assimilated by the Germanic settlers that the Knights will be inviting into the areas that they conquer. I do hope that the Vlachs can put up a fight against the Teutonic Knights. Perhaps you can have one of the Wallachian leaders to make a deal with the Teutons where he and his people would convert to Roman Catholicism in exchange for an end to the attacks?

Incidentally there was an Aromanian state that covered much of northern Greece during this time period. More Vlachs coming in could sure benefit the Aromanians there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wallachia

Well I sort of hoping you were going to cover at least the beginning of the Cuman Crusades with your update but I'm content with what you posted.

You know, all those Vlachs looking for a homeland could be influential in breathing new life into the Empire by having more manpower to protect ourselves with. Or they could tear the Empire apart...

This is what I was considering at the moment. Either, a Vlach guy, declares himself "Prince" "Voivode" "Despot" or whatever, either they blend in with the Greeks.

I kind of figured the Cumans aren't going to make it in the long run since there's so few of them. Whichever ones aren't killed are probably sold into slavery by the Teutonic Knights or assimilated by the Germanic settlers that the Knights will be inviting into the areas that they conquer. I do hope that the Vlachs can put up a fight against the Teutonic Knights. Perhaps you can have one of the Wallachian leaders to make a deal with the Teutons where he and his people would convert to Roman Catholicism in exchange for an end to the attacks?

As someone said it in another thread, the Vlachs were pretty stubborn in their Ortodoxy. Not sure if this was the case in the XIII century, so all possibilities are still open.

Incidentally there was an Aromanian state that covered much of northern Greece during this time period. More Vlachs coming in could sure benefit the Aromanians there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wallachia

It's too early, I think, to speak of Aromanian. In the XIII century, the differences between the Vlachs from modern Romania and the ones south of the Danube were practicaly inexistant. So they are all Vlachs, which could only help their situation in Greece.

Well I sort of hoping you were going to cover at least the beginning of the Cuman Crusades with your update but I'm content with what you posted.

Cuman Crusades will be covered in the next update ;)

A alternative could be that the Nicean Empire settled some of Othodox refugees in their Anatolian frontier.

Didn't crossed my mind, this. Interesting, although they won't stand a chance against the Turks, Seljuks or Ottomans ...

And hey, look at this, my 200th post !

Would it be too unlikely to see some Vlachs escaping to the Horde's territory? Maybe following the Black Sea coast?

There's not much info on the Cumans in this period. They don't seem to be the "full-time" nomads we all know, but they aren't fully settled either.

then they could use some hit and run tactics,

I dont know much about them, but heavy cavalry vs light horse archers.....a bit tricky