Alternate national animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many countries have official or unofficial animals associated with them, like the Bald Eagle in the United States or the Bear in Russia. For example, 19th Century political cartoons dealing with imperialism use these a lot. Here's Russia represented by the bear and the UK as a lion in a John Tennial illustration dealing with Afghanistan:

77172630.jpg

And again with Persia (as a cat):

RussiaLion.jpg

10kMiles.JPG

The United States as a bald eagle.

britishcartoon05.png

Germany as a black eagle.

china_cartoon.gif

Everyone quarreling over the sleeping Chinese dragon.

situation+in+asia.jpg

The same as before, but with France as a frog instead of the Gallic rooster, and some random, unidentified European countries at the bottom (who is the rabbit supposed to be?).

What would make some good alternate symbolic animals?

I suppose the US could be the Mountain Lion/Puma/Cougar/Panther (whichever name you wish to use) or if you want to follow in Franklin's footsteps, the Turkey?

I see Germany as a wolf. Maybe it's too many rides of the Bavarian-themed "Big Bad Wolf" roller coaster at Busch-Gardens Williamsburg, or maybe it's all the Germans I know with the surname "Wolf," but whatever it is, the wolf seems a lot more fitting for Germany than a generic black eagle.

The lynx would be a good symbol for a Scandinavian country - Maybe Sweden?

France could be nicely represented by the chamois.

Colonial America had loved the rattlesnake - personally, I'd like it. It'd be a unique animal compared to yet another eagle.

Oooh, imagine the humble "Don't Tread on Me Snake" getting a 19th century anti-imperialist makeover in political cartoons, elongated and sprawled across the Pacific and the Caribbean Sea with Cuba, Hawaii, the Philippines, et al. tangled up in its coils. I'd love the irony.

I have always wondered about an alternate national animal for France. It seems to be one of the only great powers over the pst few centuries that does not have its own national animal which is strongly identified with it. Does anyone have any ideas? (I may incorporate something about this into the timeline I just started)
As for Germany, I agree the wolf would be cool. The wolf is such a powerful symbol, I am surprised no one has taken it up.
Scipio

I have always wondered about an alternate national animal for France. It seems to be one of the only great powers over the pst few centuries that does not have its own national animal which is strongly identified with it. Does anyone have any ideas? (I may incorporate something about this into the timeline I just started)
As for Germany, I agree the wolf would be cool. The wolf is such a powerful symbol, I am surprised no one has taken it up.
Scipio

According to the ever-reliable wikipedia, at least, Italy's animal is the wolf, though there's no linked source for it. The animal representing Italy in the "dividing China" political cartoon I posted seems to be a wolf... I guess it makes sense, considering the Romulus and Remus legend, and the fact that Italy is one of the few modern European countries to consciously preserve its wolf population, but like I said, I tend to associate it more with Germany and the Grimm fairy tales.

For France, I suggested the chamois, which has both a ruggedness and an elegance to it that might be fitting for France's national character. France even has its own endemic sub-species of chamois, the Chartreuse chamois:

5716614385_dac09954ba.jpg

I also like the suggestion of the Camargue horse.

The Confederate States could adopt the American alligator as its national animal - The alligator would actually be endemic to the country had the CSA successfully seceded (with Indian Territory in tow). The Confederates might also appropriate the rattlesnake from the Revolutionary flag.

Haven't the Russian bear and the French rooster actually started as negative jokes about the countries (much like as frog is still used to the French today)? Maybe the same could apply ITTL in other countries, with a negative symbol being accepted later and used later as a national animal.

canada could have the polar bear.

america could have the obvious turkey. maybe a snake after the "don't tread on me" flags. however, i'm sure there would be some interesting political cartoons with that and mexico, whose flag depicts an eagle vanquishing a snake.

france can have frogs :p but seriously, they could have adopted the wolf after charlemagne's holy roman empire, or perhaps during napoleon's reign, harkening back to romulus and remus.

any of the norse nations could have the raven, harkening back to the raven flags of the viking age, or their old religion. or wolves as well for similar reasons.

for some reason in russia i'm imagining the boar.... no idea why

Great Britain might adopt the Red Dragon of Wales, making a connection to King Arthur and Uthur Pendragon.

now, if we went into ATLs, a Republic of California would obviously have a grizzly bear.

the Republic of Texas might have a bull, or a stallion

the Kingdom of Scotland had unicorns I believe

The Confederate States could adopt the American alligator as its national animal - The alligator would actually be endemic to the country had the CSA successfully seceded (with Indian Territory in tow). The Confederates might also appropriate the rattlesnake from the Revolutionary flag.
I'd say they'd probably adopt the rattlesnake or something. Alligators aren't as symbolic.

The English Lion and the Scottish Unicorn go a way back, both being represented on HM's coat of arms. (Amusingly, the Unicorn is chained to it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.