AHC: Expo Line is underground

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to have the Metro Expo Line in LA County run underground instead of above ground along roughly the same route, with a POD no earlier than 2000.

FDW

Banned
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to have the Metro Expo Line in LA County run underground instead of above ground along roughly the same route, with a POD no earlier than 2000.

One would be an Al Gore Victory, though even in that case the best you might get would be some more grade-separation. I take it you're not too happy about the Expo line running on the surface?

I'm just an underground fan. I like the overground, but I love a subway more. I love the fact they're massively expanding the Metro, though - Pomona by 2020!

And what would a Gore victory change? I mean, either way, the fiscal situation would likely remain the same...

Not from LA admittedly, but I do work in transit planning IRL and I just don't see it happening. Isn't the existence of a surface ROW one of the biggest appeals of using that corridor at all? Certainly if it had to go underground it wouldn't be built before the Wilshire subway. Maybe something could be conceivable if you do something to make a lot more funding available, take away the surface ROW and make the tunnelling ban only apply to Wilshire, but that's really starting to sound ASB to me. I suppose it could happen as part of something much bigger than LA, like into the realm of some of the interstate rail funding TLs we've kicked around...

FDW

Banned
I'm just an underground fan. I like the overground, but I love a subway more. I love the fact they're massively expanding the Metro, though - Pomona by 2020!

And what would a Gore victory change? I mean, either way, the fiscal situation would likely remain the same...

Al Gore wouldn't be as anti-transit as GWB was OTL. And yes 30/10 is a wonderful thing, I wish my regions pols had as much ambition as Villaraigosa has right now when it comes to public transit.

Not from LA admittedly, but I do work in transit planning IRL and I just don't see it happening. Isn't the existence of a surface ROW one of the biggest appeals of using that corridor at all? Certainly if it had to go underground it wouldn't be built before the Wilshire subway. Maybe something could be conceivable if you do something to make a lot more funding available, take away the surface ROW and make the tunnelling ban only apply to Wilshire, but that's really starting to sound ASB to me. I suppose it could happen as part of something much bigger than LA, like into the realm of some of the interstate rail funding TLs we've kicked around...

Yeah the existence of the ROW is the reason why they're building the line right now, since it's probably going to be at least two decades before the Subway to the Sea actually reaches the sea. In fact it's kind of miracle the Expo Line even managed to get built during this decade, given all the hostility towards rail projects when it was first discussed.