Could Rommel have survived the purge?

What do you think? Could Rommel have survived the purge of German officers following Valkyrie by;

1. Defecting to the west?

2. Surrounding himself with loyal troops?

3. Gone into hiding?

I think if he got wind of things early enough, numbers 1 and 3 might be possible. Best bet would be to sneak into Switzerland and escape that way I should imagine. Not sure about number 2.

What do you think? Could Rommel have survived the purge of German officers following Valkyrie by;

3. Gone into hiding?

1: Yes.
2: No
3: Proberly not.
4: Publicly declaring his support for Hitler (Not very honourable, but he might survive)

Unlike the other victims of he purge Rommel was allowed to commit suicide rather than be shot or hanged with piano wire. The German press reported he had died as a consequence of old battle injuries. He was granted a state funeral where HITLER made an appearance.

Obviously Rommel was viewed as a special case. Had he declared his loyalty to Hitler he likely would have survived and even remained in active service as a Field Marshal. Though I am quite sure he would have has SS advisors in his headquarters and his family would have been closely guarded.

1st and 3rd options: Quite propable... But Rommel was recovering at the time feom wounds he received in Normandy and since his name was on the conspiracy list i doubt that he could move easily around Germany with his family till he reaches British-American forces in France...
2nd option: No... Even if he could muster loyal soldiers, the SS could gather even more... That would be pure suicide for Rommel and his family...
As for public declaring loyalty to Hitler... I guess he could do it... But then it would be on Hitler's hands whether he believes him or not... Its a risk...

1. I don't know about that. Rommel seemed pretty loyal to Germany (which is different that loyalty to Hitler). He might have taken up arms against the Nazis to free Germany from tyrany, but I don't know how comfortable he'd be around former enemies, especially Patton.

2. No chance of working. Short of taking those loyal troops and assassinating Hitler under the guise of traveling to Berlin to personally deliver an oath of loyalty, Hitler simply had more men available at his disposal than Rommel.

3. Rommel craved a field command, so I don't think he'd be able to survive in hiding without getting a little stir crazy.

The problem with escaping or going into hiding was, he didn't need to go into hiding before Valkyrie failed and the moment in failed, it was too late.

Rommel probably had a few SS men following him before the failed coup and after he probably had a large swarm of them. It would be difficult for him to launch an escape attempt under this intense observation.

1. Maybe, assuming the West even accepts him.

2. Doing that only digs his own grave as it probably creates a perception that he's going for a military coup.

3. Not sure, depends on circumstances, signs point to no.

Probably the best POD for having Rommel survive is to have his injuries caused by his car being strafed in 1944 be a bit less severe. With a shorter recovery time he would be more cogent and capable during the events of the July Plot.

Perhaps in TTL he gains a degree of foresight and manages to arrange to have his family moved to facilitate their escape from Nazi Germany (perhaps to Sweden or Switzerland?) with this done he then is prepared to defect to the Western Allies should things turn sour. Following the failure of the July Plot, Rommel defects, resulting in a major propaganda coup for the Western Allies...

One wonders what role (if any...) Rommel would have played in the post-war period...

Probably the best POD for having Rommel survive is to have his injuries caused by his car being strafed in 1944 be a bit less severe. With a shorter recovery time he would be more cogent and capable during the events of the July Plot.

Perhaps in TTL he gains a degree of foresight and manages to arrange to have his family moved to facilitate their escape from Nazi Germany (perhaps to Sweden or Switzerland?) with this done he then is prepared to defect to the Western Allies should things turn sour. Following the failure of the July Plot, Rommel defects, resulting in a major propaganda coup for the Western Allies...

One wonders what role (if any...) Rommel would have played in the post-war period...

Given how many ranking personnel from the armed forces and Abwehr were employed by the FRG, I'd imagine Rommel gets some sort of advisory position. BW will have a better idea of what Rommel might be offered and accept though.

Rommel pulling a Vlassov in the west is actually a -very- interesting option. And certainly being it's him, lends a -lot- of credibility to such a thing.

If Rommel could made it to Western Lines and defected, it would throw a wrench into the whole Western Front. I don't think the Allies would allow him to raise an Army, but I could see him in a leadership role in the post war Bundeswehr.

Had he survived the war, and particularly since he was implicated in the plot to kill Hitler, he would almost certainly have had some role in the formation of the Bundeswehr perhaps later retiring to write texts on armor tactics. The US had no problem hiring Von Braun and his team

If Rommel could made it to Western Lines and defected, it would throw a wrench into the whole Western Front. I don't think the Allies would allow him to raise an Army, but I could see him in a leadership role in the post war Bundeswehr.

Just the sheer propaganda value coupled with a mass call for defections to undermine Nazi Germany would be well worth it.

Start with a core from the POW ranks and then add on defections who are able to surrender and you have a solid foundation of men.

As for their actual role beyond combat value, I don't see them being trusted with a part of the line or anything. Most likely just reserve, labor and other behind the line duties. Maybe a small role in Northern Italy.

Rommel as Vlasov would be an interesting twist on Valkyrie timelines, especially it would be essentially "Valkyrie fails but differently" as opposed to "Valkyrie succeeds." Someone get on it!

3. Gone into hiding?

Rommel was a Nazi. For political reasons post war (raise a new German army for NATO) it was important to find a famous German General, de Nazify him and make him a hero. Rommel had been part of Hitlers personal entourage before the war and understood what was happening.

Defecting to the West would have been unthinkable to him. Perhaps by 1944 he was prepared to betray Hitler but he wouldn't betray his country by joining the enemy.

Loyal troops? German soldiers were loyal to Hitler, Germany and only then their Generals. Some troops would join but VERY, VERY, few.

Hiding is not an honourable thing for a General like Rommel to do. Besides what about his family and friends. Could he hide everyone?

Rommel pulling a Vlassov in the west is actually a -very- interesting option. And certainly being it's him, lends a -lot- of credibility to such a thing.

I don't see that working. First off, Rommel would be an unlikely person to do it under the berst of circumstances, but that's another story. Even if, though, the first problem is that the western Allies would be unlikely to accept him in any capacity other than prisoner. To them, he was a dangherously capable Nazi general who had just put their troops through the meat grinder again, not some vaguely reconciliatory, chivalrous former foe. The Rommel myth of Mr Clean-War-Not-A-Nazi is largely a postwar artifact.

Secondly, they had little to offer. They had very little shared ideological basis, and what they had - a vague commitment to national self-determination and democracy of sorts - would not motivate Rommel to a sudden conversion. You could argue a second-tier German general had seen the truth of Marxism, but of - what, "United Nationism"? Hardly.

Thirdly, their Rommel could offer nothing attractive to his men. The Allied war aim at this stage is unconditional surrender, with the borderline genocidal Morgenthau plan in the filing cabinet and no great expectations of any future for Germany. Nobody intended to create the FRG, so basically, it's: "Come over to the Western side, we'll not ship you to safety but ionstead send you back to the trenches, only this time when you get caught you get a bullet from your own side, plus, your family goes to Dachau. But anyway, I'm pretty sure they won't shoot all of you after the war, and they probably won't castrate you, either."

The word you are looking for is "surrender", not "defect". He could have done that. Other German generals pulled it off.