Go Back   Alternate History Discussion Board > Discussion > Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900

Old February 10th, 2013, 08:15 PM
You don't throw ranch

Sorry there haven't been any updates lately y'all. Been real busy with life and stuff.

I will do my best to pump one out this week

Apparently it's the best Ancient TL of 2011. Oh Baby!
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errnge View Post
Sorry there haven't been any updates lately y'all. Been real busy with life and stuff.

I will do my best to pump one out this week
How dare you having a personal life!! that's inexcusable

Good to know that one is coming
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:58 AM
You don't throw ranch

You know, it's rather shocking how many Spanish and Portuguese cities used to be tribal capitals

Old February 18th, 2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
You know, it's rather shocking how many Spanish and Portuguese cities used to be tribal capitals
I take that to mean that there is going to be a update soon? (involving Carthage and Iberia?).

Team Carthage!
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:26 AM
You don't throw ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbell View Post
I take that to mean that there is going to be a update soon? (involving Carthage and Iberia?).
Yes, been immersing myself in research all day. I'm a busy man these days though, so patience is always appreciated, but I have begun working on it.

Old February 18th, 2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Hehe... with as many tribes with their own reguli as there was, i'm sure if you chose random places to stablish cities, you'd hit some of those capitals

I remember seeing a detailed map of the tribes of the Kallaikoi in a textbook... there was a tribe per small territory unit... some had even two. These gallaeci are crazy, as Obelix would say.
Old February 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM
You don't throw ranch

Chapter Six: The New City
Part Fourteen: Ishfania and Ophiussa

Legend holds in Iberian lore that the peninsula we know today as Ishfania birthed from the womb of Tanit-Madros [1] as a massive hare. When the hare died, its body became Ishfania, and five peoples were born from its body: the Uascones [2] in the Northern mountains, the Iberians in the East, the Tartessians, the most civilized of the ancient peoples, in the South, the Celtici in the Center and West, and the Lusitani South and West.

It was fitting, then, that at least one delegate from each of these peoples was present at the council called by Sekontios, the new chieftain of the Lusitani in 218 B.E. (225 B.C.) that called delegates from tribes all over Ishfania. Vaccaei, Asturians, Celtici, Conii, Kalaiki [3], Cantabri, Celtiberians, Germani, Carpetani, Vettones, Bardili, Bracari, Ilergetae, and even some delegates from the distant Iacetani and Vascones. They had all assembled for one reason: to discuss the growing barbarian issue.

The delegates were feasting, as was custom, around Sekontios’ fire. A roasted pig hung on a spit, licked by flames. Slaves poured wine into gold and silver goblets, and plopped olives and grapes straight into hungry mouths. It was a cool night in early spring, the beginning of the warring-time, and the leader of the Lusitani knew better than anyone that if he didn’t do something quickly, the nations these delegates represented would tear each other limb from limb, leaving nothing but corpses to resist the barbarians from across the sea, these Pouniki, these Kartagadu [4].

Sekontios stood up, regally, his right hand placed firmly on the hilt of his falcata. His garb comprised of blue and white linens held together by silver broaches. A golden torc, glistening in the firelight, rested around his neck. He had allowed these delegates to revel well into the night, and now the moon was high. It was time to discuss what they had all assembled here to discuss. And Sekontios could not stand this waiting any longer:

“Men of Ophiussa! Dragani from the North, Cynetes from the South, Cempsi, Ophis, and Lusis! [5] Let us put aside our wine and our revelry just as we have put aside our spears and swords. It is time that we talk, for talking is indeed why we are here. We are gathered here for one purpose, to talk about the barbarians who have scourged us for too long. Too long have they divided us, too long have they used our own strength against us for their own greed and betterment.”

The delegates were silent. They listened respectfully.

Sekontios drew his falcata, and balanced it upon his fingers parallel to the ground. “This was our land before the barbarians came with their armies from across the sea. Even, peaceful, and prosperous. But more and more,” he let the sword begin to slide one way down the blade, “the balance has shifted. And it will continue to shift until—“ The falcata fell to the ground with a clang. “We are left to ruin under foreign tyranny. Even now, this Baraka and his damned clan are marching an army to fight the proud Celtiberians of Numantia!”

The eight delegates from the Celtiberians beat their fists against the table like the drums of war.

“How many years have the Germani fought to keep the barbarians at bay, defending their mountain passes? How long must the Vettones, Bardili, Celtici, and Conii endure raids from these foreigners, their wealth plundered to sate their thirst for silver?”

The fists of these tribes joined the clangor.

“My scouts and spies have informed me that when the frost melts from our fields, another barbarian army will arrive on the back of ships. Will we stand idly by and watch as they burn our fields, rape our women, and take our sons as slaves? I tell you now, come the warming of the sun, the Lusis of this land will not. Join us. We want what once was ours!”

When 218 B.E. (225 B.C.) arrived, and Hamilqart Baraq levied his forces, expecting the army of Bomilcar II, it becomes evident that he was not expecting a unified counter-advance from the Iberian tribes to the north. It began with news that the Celtiberians, a loose federation of tribes held together by the Avacci of Numantia, had launched a massive offensive against the Lebotani and Turboletae, Carthaginian allies in the region. The Germani rebelled, and pushed an army of Carpetani south to liberate the Olcades. And in the west, a huge army of Lusitani assembled with their allies, and began a march into former Turdetani territory, sacking and taking the wealthy silver mines there. Rumors spread that any and every Carthaginian or Numidian they captured, they tied to the backs of their horses, and dragged to their death. It didn’t take long for the Greek cities to rebel after that.

Hamilqart, with the countryside in flames, left the defense of Ishfania to his son-in-law Azruba’al with an army of 20,000 and his son Magon. Hamilqart marched north with his sons Hanniba’al and Azruba’al, commanding an army of 25,000. First he intended to quell the rebellions along the coastline. He didn’t need his whole army for this, so he divided his force, giving his sons an army of 10,000 to defend Qartuba [6] and Tartessos.

Bomilcar II arrived at Malaka with an army of 30,000, and as pleased as he was to see his enemies scattered across the land, the reason terrified him more.

---------------
[1] A hybrid goddess created later in Spanish history
[2] Basques, from Vascones, likely a Celticization of Euskara
[3] Galaeci
[4] A very rough bastardization of Punic and Carthaginian
[5] This is a reference to Avienus’ Ora Maritima, who claimed that Western Hispania used to be called Ophiussa, the Land of Serpents, and that five distinct ethnicities inhabited it. There is probably some merit to this poem, because it is based off the Massaliote Periplus, a much older document.
[6] City of Juba—now known as Cordoba

Old February 21st, 2013, 03:41 PM

AWESOME

dont let proud Lusitania fall at the mercy of Carthage!!!
Fight on!!!!
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:37 PM

Epic! awesome update.

I am very surprised to see the Ishfanian peoples making a common front against "Baraka" (love those bastardizations). Maybe i shouldn't be so surprised, because the Celtiberi had a loose confederation, and even the Gaulish Celts had it in them to unite against the Romans IOTL. Will the Ishfanian peoples find their own Vercingetorix? Sadly there's still 50-60 years till Viriatus is even born.

Last edited by jotabe1789; February 21st, 2013 at 04:49 PM..
Old February 21st, 2013, 05:27 PM
You don't throw ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotabe1789 View Post
Epic! awesome update.

I am very surprised to see the Ishfanian peoples making a common front against "Baraka" (love those bastardizations). Maybe i shouldn't be so surprised, because the Celtiberi had a loose confederation, and even the Gaulish Celts had it in them to unite against the Romans IOTL. Will the Ishfanian peoples find their own Vercingetorix? Sadly there's still 50-60 years till Viriatus is even born.
It's a little more complicated than that. They are uniting (kind of) because of the fast Barcid expansion, and the perceived threat of Bomilcar's army as well. Their hope is to oust Carthaginian control of the region, while, perhaps intentionally, dividing up the peninsula into spheres of influence of the stronger tribes.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
It's a little more complicated than that. They are uniting (kind of) because of the fast Barcid expansion, and the perceived threat of Bomilcar's army as well. Their hope is to oust Carthaginian control of the region, while, perhaps intentionally, dividing up the peninsula into spheres of influence of the stronger tribes.
Oh, i see, so those 5 mythical "peoples" of Ishfania might coalesce into 5 actual... regions or spheres of influence. I see.

I had forgotten to mention earlier: love that falcata! one of my favourite classical weapons (might be biased)
Even if it doesn't make tactical sense, an phallanx using greek hoplons and falcatas would be too cool to behold.

Now, waiting to see what's scaring Bomilcar II so much...
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:42 AM

What would the Royal Regalia of the Qarthadastian Maliks look like by now? Can I do some more specific portaits?

Collaboration: Caesar survives the Ides of March
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
You don't throw ranch

So, I got bored, and made this. Enjoy
Attached Images

Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:22 PM
You don't throw ranch

Any more comments to the update? I know it's been a while, I'm sorry guys. This has been a particularly busy semester, it's hard to even get a moment to breath, let alone research and write an update

Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Any more comments to the update? I know it's been a while, I'm sorry guys. This has been a particularly busy semester, it's hard to even get a moment to breath, let alone research and write an update
besides the fact I am curious about Sparta, the Dacians and the possible havoc the Cimbri and Teutones will bring IFF they still show their fist like OTL??
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:41 PM

I'm curious on the backstory of the various Hispanic tribes. Could I help you gather information?

Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:45 PM
You don't throw ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchio View Post
I'm curious on the backstory of the various Hispanic tribes. Could I help you gather information?
I have plenty of information, thank you.

I could put an update together explaining what we know of the area before the events of this TL if that helps people with the context of what's going on?

Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM
You don't throw ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
besides the fact I am curious about Sparta, the Dacians and the possible havoc the Cimbri and Teutones will bring IFF they still show their fist like OTL??
Well, I will get to Sparta, don't worry. The Dacians have a few more decades before they start making waves, and the Cimbri about 50 years to go.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM
Knight of the Jarrow Crusade

Quote:
Looks very interesting, Errnge. I am left wondering just what bloody scene is greeting the disbelieving Bomilcar II...

I like the linguistic/etymological chicaneries* being pulled too.

Always nice to see an update, but we all (should) understand that real life comes first. When studying slackens off a bit, we'll still be here to read. Well, even if I can't speak for the others, I'll still be here, God willing.

*Bastardisations, if you will.
Coming soon: Band of Brothers & A Really Useful Space Bat
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I have plenty of information, thank you.

I could put an update together explaining what we know of the area before the events of this TL if that helps people with the context of what's going on?
That would be very helpful and informative, thank you!

Also how much further before the PoD impacts China?