George VI Killed in Battle of Britain

Lets say that for whatever reason, King George VI is killed during a German Air Raid in 1940-1941. What would be the result of his death to the British people? Now, obviously, Elizabeth II would become Queen, how would she rule during World War II?

She wouldn't rule. No monarch has done that since (at least) George III. Maybe some PM would get slightly different advice, but did anyone learn anything substantial from George VI that they couldn't have gotten elsewhere?

She wouldn't rule. No monarch has done that since (at least) George III. Maybe some PM would get slightly different advice, but did anyone learn anything substantial from George VI that they couldn't have gotten elsewhere?

What "advice" would a 14 year old monarch give to Churchill anyway?

If I remember right King George VI's Brother Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester was the on stand-by regent from 1936 till 1944, so most monarchical duties would be his, I'd guess the young Queen would be in Scotland or some where safe while Henry holds down the fort in London

as for a POD I remember Churchill saying in a speech that the King and Queen had been at a window in Buckingham a bomb fell into a court yard under the window, if the window hadn't been open the glass from the window blowing inward would have killed them both.

Buckingham palace was hit several times during the war.
I suppose not much would change, the war ends on the same day. And Elizabeth rules to this day. Unless she suffers emotional trauma and dies. There may be a few soldiers and pilots who fight a little harder. "For king George!"

The military situation is unlikely to be changed all that much. There could well be political butterflies however - we might be even less willing to go into the EEC than we were IOTL, for example.

archaeogeek

Banned
The military situation is unlikely to be changed all that much. There could well be political butterflies however - we might be even less willing to go into the EEC than we were IOTL, for example.

Why does every political POD involving Britain seem to turn into an excuse to either keep the empire or not go into the EU...

Elizabeth II had been on the throne for four years when the EEC was founded.

Why does every political POD involving Britain seem to turn into an excuse to either keep the empire or not go into the EU...

Elizabeth II had been on the throne for four years when the EEC was founded.

He was just suggesting that was a possible course of action and a possible butterfly...

Okay I'll bite, how would Elizabeth II coming to the throne six years or so earlier (I'm assuming since the voting age was twenty-one, or nine years if she's crowned at eighteen) butterfly entry into the EEC? She was on the throne when the UK joined EFTA and then later the EEC so unless you somehow manage to have the regency period and her earlier accession mess with the political landscape on a major scale that I personally just can't see I'm not sure how you can avoid it.

I think LD was obliquely suggesting that a monarch killed as a result of a German bomb might rather strengthen political hostility to the continent and European intergration. Although that seems a bit of a stretch to me.

QE2 might not marry Philip ITTL. In fact, I'd guess it was probably less likely than not. Other than that, struggling to think of other major butterflies, save for the Queen being even more frumpish and dour than she already is in OTL.

archaeogeek

Banned
I think LD was obliquely suggesting that a monarch killed as a result of a German bomb might rather strengthen political hostility to the continent and European intergration. Although that seems a bit of a stretch to me.

QE2 might not marry Philip ITTL. In fact, I'd guess it was probably less likely than not. Other than that, struggling to think of other major butterflies, save for the Queen being even more frumpish and dour than she already is in OTL.

A german bomb in a world war fought with the french, polish, greeks, etc on their side.

Whom would Elizabeth marry? I'm not a fan of Prince Philip (astronomically high jerk quotient), but what were her other options? In her day, I don't think a wealthy commoner such as Kate Middleton could marry into the Windsors.

That's exactly what I was suggesting. One of the reasons we dragged our feet about the Common Market in the first place was for fear of public hostility to any enterprise involving our erstwhile Continental enemies. I think we would go in anyway, but the public reaction might be even more lukewarm. Attlee said in opposition to Common Market that "very recently we spent a great deal of blood and treasure rescuing four of them from the other two", and if the Germans had managed to kill our king in the process, I think this feeling may have been stronger.

In her day, I don't think a wealthy commoner such as Kate Middleton could marry into the Windsors.

No; all the other reserve options were British aristocrats. Don't ask me who, as I can't remember, but well-established peers or sons of them.

Whom would Elizabeth marry? I'm not a fan of Prince Philip (astronomically high jerk quotient), but what were her other options? In her day, I don't think a wealthy commoner such as Kate Middleton could marry into the Windsors.

Of course not. Same sex marriage in the UK wasn't allowed until recently. ;-)

Torqumada

any reason why not? she met him before the war and had a school girl-crush so I don't see the death of her parents really changing that it was more Mountbatten's idea than her parents any ways.

any reason why not?

Even in OTL there was initial massive public hostility to it - which the palace was extremely wary of, and tried, with some good degree of success, to tackle - as Phil was regarded as foreign, and a foreigner with a lot of German relatives at that.

ITTL George VI was killed by a German bomb. You work it out.

Quite aside from what this might do to the Queen emotionally, who takes charge of her monarchical upbringing, the probable influence of Henry of Gloucester etc etc.

No, I think you would have a different consort ITTL.

Even in OTL there was initial massive public hostility to it - which the palace was extremely wary of, and tried, with some good degree of success, to tackle - as Phil was regarded as foreign, and a foreigner with a lot of German relatives at that..

so does the British royal family, plus Philip was a vet of the war and his Uncle is one of the heros of the war I don't see him being born in Greece (and ally through the war) as a big issue.

You might not see it as a big issue, public opinion at the time most certainly did; the war engendered even more xenophobia in the population of that time than there already existed. If George VI is killed by 'the Huns' then that feeling is going to transfer very much towards extreme protectiveness towards the young Queen. Public opinion would probably not be reconcilable to such a marriage and the palace is not, this being well within living memory of the abdication, buck strong public opinion on matters matrimonial.