WI: John Lennon assassinates Mark David Chapman?

Zioneer

Banned
I'd like an answer to a silly What-if I just thought of ten seconds ago. How could events be arranged so that John Lennon assassinates Mark David Chapman?

If needed, you can modify Chapman's sanity a bit.

I just had a thought, rather than hippies in the late 1960s-1970s we get libertarianism, gun ownership for all so one so forth, John and the other Beatles become symbols of that age, Lennon becomes a gun nut and on that day in 1980 he pulls out his gun and shoots MDC.

ASB I know but its a funny thought.

I just had a thought, rather than hippies in the late 1960s-1970s we get libertarianism, gun ownership for all so one so forth, John and the other Beatles become symbols of that age, Lennon becomes a gun nut and on that day in 1980 he pulls out his gun and shoots MDC.

ASB I know but its a funny thought.

Careful...L. Neil Smith might be reading this thread! :D :p

Instead of directly killing Lennon, Chapman stalks him. After a few incidents, Lennon and Ono actually start to fear for their lives. They're uncomfortable with guns and guards, but the police don't appear to be doing a very good job trying to find this guy.

A good friend drops by to loan them a pistol, for their own protection. They tell him they don't want it, but the friend forgets it (intentionally or unintentionally) on the table when he leaves.

A couple of hours later, Lennon sees Chapman out on a ledge outside the window, having climbed up the building. Frightened, and fumbling for something to protect himself, he accidentally causes the gun to go off, shooting Chapman.

Another option: Chapman kills Ono instead, but gets off on a technicality. Lennon, grief-stricken and angry enough to forget his pacifism, talks briefly to the mob, but in the end decides not to do anything anyway. However, a communication failure leads the mobster to misunderstand some Mancunian idiom as a statement to go ahead and finish the job.

Sorry, all I've got are accidents, I guess.

EDIT:

One more idea:

John Lennon, a taxidermist from Oklahoma with a history of mental illness, is getting tired of this other guy stealing his name. He goes to New York to kill him, and arrives just in time to see Chapman holding a gun on musician Lennon. Not wanting someone else to do him in first, taxidermist John Lennon shoots Mark David Chapman.

Last edited:
Lennon doesn't strike me as the trigger-happy type.

Depends on when your talking about, while Lennon was, to the best of my knowledge never really well versed in firearms, he was a very violent individual at times. For example he beat Bob Wooler severely with a shovel for implying he was homosexual/had had an affair with Epstein in Spain. Despite his peace advocacy, he did have something of an anger problem, to put things mildly. Apparently when he was drunk, it was a lot worse. However, the problem here is that there is a difference between being in a violent rage, and assassination. Assassination implies premeditation, and I have a hard time imagining Lennon outright planning to kill someone. I mean, not even Albert Goldman claimed that Lennon was capable of premeditated murder.

Freizeit

Banned
Lennon has a metal glasses case in his chest pocket, Chapman fires, the bullet bounces off the case and hits Chapman in the head.