Guns of the Rapanui OR The Polynesian Colonization of the Americas

Hi, there. I’m a lurker, or used to be anyway. But a few days ago, I had this idea for a Polynesian TL where Polynesians introduce farm animals to the Americas. This TL presupposes the fact that Polynesians had the requisite technology to both transport the animals they ate from Hawai’i to Rapa Nui (and subsequently to the Americas) and to reach the Americas in the first place. This fact is disputed by some, but I agree with Thor Heyerdahl. Anyway. Enjoy, subscribe, comment (nicelyJ)! Oh, and note: this installment is several hundred years after the initial POD (that POD being the Rapanui transporting feed animals with them to Rapa Nui itself).

Chapter 1: A New Home

Nua’e Rapanui, The Great Island(1) August 3, 1033 CE

The sun hung low over the calm sea as Toi-kai-rakau(2) and his men pulled their balsa log rafts onto the shore. The chief let go of the great raft and wiped his hands, noting with apathy the pain of a splinter in his left. To the east, the distant mountains of this land sloped high and sinister over the group of huddled Rapanui on the shore. Toi felt very small in the presence of these mountains.

At the foot of the great mountains, there was a great bloom of many-colored forest spreading down to the beach where the Rapanui were setting up camp. A small stream ran out of the edge of the forest, pouring over the beach and into the river. But more ominously, on the very base of the distant mountains could be seen small huts, and the drifting smoke of a fire.

Setting up camp had been an easy task. The trees around the beach were old and easy to cut with stone hatchets, and besides, the only wood needed was that used to light the fire and erect a moa and pua’a(3) pen. By the time the sun set below the horizon, the woodfire was burning smokily and merrily, and the smell of roasting pua’a hung around the camp enticingly.

Kupe, the group’s ivi-attua(4),sat away from the group, staring off into the dark forest. Toi, watching his back, shivered a little as he thought of the things the soothsayer must see out there. What darkness. What evil. Still, this beach seemed innocent enough—the perfect place for a settlement. Tomorrow, the chief would send gifts to the people (or something intelligent) at the base of the mountains as a gesture of peace, while the rest of the settlers would get to work building new houses.

It was something the Rapanui and their cousins had been doing for thousands of years, Toi reflected as he took the pua’a off the fire. Yet another step in the endless process of exploration, expansion, colonization, survival. But though Toi and his people did not know it, this new step was something much greater than any of them—something that would eventually change history…

Twenty Miles East of Nua’e Rapanui, the Great Island August 4, 1033

Toi looked around uncomfortably at the rude village. You could hardly call the buildings huts—piles of old, rotted wood, unlikely to survive even the smallest storm. Certainly not waterproof. Similarly, the fire at the center of the, ahem, “village” was nothing compared to the healthy wood fire that still burned back at the Rapanui camp.

Across the small fire, a grinning, dirty creature watched Toi. This, apparently, was the chief of this tribe—at least, that’s what Toi thought. Their language was consonant-full and difficult to understand, but he had somehow conveyed that the Rapanui were friends and merely wished to live here, not to hurt these Mapuche, as they called themselves.

No, never hurt them. But perhaps one day the Rapanui could teach them and turn them into creatures worthy of civilization.

Nua’e Rapanui, the Great Island August 22, 1033

“Land ho!” Aata-a-ia-i grinned excitedly as he saw his father wave from the beach. Leaping out of the raft (one of about 20 that were approaching Nua’e Rapanui), Aata sloshed his way through the water and up to his father, seizing him in a strong bear hug. Toi-kai-rakau blinked away tears as he gripped his estranged son—they had not spoken for many months after Aata had left the cult of Tangata Manu(5) and turned to the moai(6) for spiritual fulfillment. But with the chaos caused by the Great Plague(7), it was no time for families to break apart.

“Father, I have missed you.” Toi smiled at his son. “I have missed you too, child. Where is mother?” Aata’s face turned grim at the mention of his mother. “She is resting with the ancestors now.” At these words, Toi felt something break deep inside him, and something else well up inside, but managed to push it down. “May she rest well. Come, Aata, and let us begin building houses for you and your people.”

A new day was dawning for the Rapanui, here on this foreign shore.

Notes
(1) Roughly the area of Valparaiso, Chile.
(2) Toi is a remarkably common name among Polynesians—kai-rakau means something similar to “great chief”.
(3) Moa=a chickenlike bird, similar to the great moa of New Zealand, though about ¼ as large. Pua’a=literally, hog. A large-bellied Asian hog, originally from Taiwan, which the Polynesians took with them to Hawai’i and, ITTL, Rapa Nui.
(4) Literally, “future-seer”. Basically a prophet.
(5) “Bird Man”. The Birdman cult was based around a competition held every year, where contestants selected by the prophets’ dreams would further select a hopu to swim from Rapa Nui to the island of Moto Nui and get a Sooty Tern egg, which they would then have to bring back unbroken. The hopu that won would become tabu (what do you think it means?) for a year, and be forced to go live in a cave in the center of Rapanui, from whence he would rule the entire island. As well, his tribe would be given first pick of Sooty Terns and eggs.
(6) Those giant stone heads. The religion that rivaled the Birdman cult until all the trees on Rapa Nui were cut down. The moai represented the ancestors, the gods, and Rapa Nui’s multiple culture heroes. Rituals were held each year at each moai to ensure another year of good fortune. Also, if a Rapanui had any troubles, he/she would go to the moai and sleep in front of them overnight—the moai would give him/her the answer to his/her problems in his/her dream(s).
(7) Our secondary POD—because of the fact that feed animals were transported and kept on Rapa Nui, pig-related diseases have developed and swept through the population, killing many thousands. Because of this, Toi-kai-rakau and Aata-a-ia-i have fled the island, guiding their respective religion members to a new dawn in Chile.

Interesting, but they will need a lot more colonists in order to prevent total inbreeding.

But Polynesian SA is pretty damn cool.

I remember stumbling across something that indicated the Inca had limited contact with the Polynesians, something about a species of cotton which would have its seeds destroyed by salt water. Aside from that, the Polynesians went all the way to Easter Island, so it's not that big of a leap to keep on sailing until they run smack into a continent.

There's a fair amount of evidence for Polynesian contact with the Americas, including Asian chickens in Aztec Mexico before Cortez. I'll be following this one. Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing where you take this, seems like an idea with a lot of possibilities and the title bodes well.

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys! I should have the next update up later tonight. (Spoiler: the Rapanui learn how to make metals in this one!)

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Meet And Greet

Also, yes, I know I spent a lot more time on the trading expedition than I did on the government system. It's just that I really wanted to talk about Rapanui in a strange land.

Southern Likan-antay Desert, The Great Island February 5, 1035 CE

Tuis-am-oa rubbed the front of his hair parka and shifted uncomfortably as the scratchy (and also hair) long pants rubbed against his legs. His Mapuche guides, P’to and Kri, had recommended the wearing of these unfortunately rather pungent and scratchy, but warm clothes for the long journey north to Lasana. The warmth of whatever strange creature had provided the hair, however, was no longer needed—the land had gradually grown drier and sandier as the six voyagers (including Tuis’s brothers, Ulu-we-hi, Hi-na-no, and Wiki-li-ano) trudged north. And now the sun beat down upon the heads of Rapanui and Mapuche alike, though only the Rapanui were sweating their insides out.

For perhaps the twelfth time this trip, Tuis regretted having volunteered for this first trading expedition northwards. He had assumed the Mapuche were going to use sea routes to reach the lands of the mysterious Likan-antay(1). But no, these primitives had never even seen a ship, and were amazed when they had visited the rapidly-growing Nua’e Rapanui and seen the fishing rafts docked at the beach. The rest of the ships had, of course, been sent back westwards to rescue more of the Rapanui left back on the island (a few of the men who remained in the new village had traveled east with more Mapuche guides to establish trade with the Huarpe and Calchaqui peoples).
And so Tuis and his brothers had marched northwards, struggling under the weight of heavy packs filled with wooden and stone carvings, beads, carefully swaddled Sooty Tern eggs, and of course, several (living) pua’a. Finally—after three months of travel—the Rapanui traders had finally reached Lasana. Looking down from the sandstone cliff on which they stood, Tuis’s eyebrows raised in surprise. “Ulu! I believe they are civilized.” The shorter, darker Ulu scoffed. “What is it compared to Orongo, or even tiny Cop’a’e on Moto Nui(2)?” Tuis, not wishing to start an argument over something as trivial as civilization, did not respond.

The village, however, inarguably had the stamp of civilization upon it. Sturdy, rectangular houses made of austere mudbrick dotted a raised dirt road. This road sped through the desert for quite a distance before curling around a squat stone hill crowned by a stately two-story sandstone building. The road was broken in the center of the village by a peaceful oasis adorned by several large trees on the side. Around this village, several fields of some sort of a golden-green plant rolled across the desert valley floor. Long, seemingly man-made streams ran from the great oasis into the fields, feeding the thirsty crops. Several black dots could be seen in the fields, each followed by some sort of large, long-necked, furry beast(3). The road was lined with wooden stands topped by multicolored awnings, and filled by several dozens of the village’s people, most of them leading the long-necked beasts. It was true though, grand Orongo had been much greater than this (admittedly robust) town, back in its heyday(4).

“What you wait for, Rapanui? We go down to Lasana now!” P’to said in broken Rapanui.

The people of the village hardly noticed the six traders as they walked down the road, though some strange looks were cast at the tall, muscled Rapanui. The short Likan-antay simply went about their business, weaving clothing in the shade of the fine awnings or doing something with some sort of metal and fire(5) inside the simple mudbrick buildings. In contrast, the Rapanui were devouring the village with their eyes. Ulu’s eyes wandered over the exotically beautiful and colorfully dressed women who giggled at his stare, while Tuis watched as fantastic cloth patterns emerged fully –formed from under the fingers of the skilled weavers. Hi and Wiki, meanwhile, stared into the smoke-producing, dark huts as they passed.

All these wonders, however, paled in comparison with the mighty fortress atop Lasana’s crowning hill. Intricate carvings of men and animals and thousand-year-old tales of heroism and woe decorated the sand-aged monolith. These carvings were colored in with formerly-bright dyes, though they had faded as the years had gone by. Looking away from the great edifice, Tuis realized that there were further signs of civilization in the lands beyond the hill. Dusty ruins surrounded by the ancient remains of fields rolled off into the desert. A dirt road rode through these ruins and beyond into the distance—likely to another Likan-antay settlement. Yes, this was an ancient land the Rapanui had come to.

At the front of the edifice, there was a door—more of a gate, really—made of the same wood that grew around the oasis. P’to knocked on the door with a clenched fist, making a hollow, resounding noise. A few moments later, the gate swung inwards, and one of the Likan-antay, dressed in excellently-made clothing, stuck her head out. She spoke rapidly, in an unknown tongue. Tuis whispered in Kri’s ear using his rudimentary Mapuche: “What she say, friend?” Kri looked up at him, startled. “I didn’t know you spoke Mapuche! She is speaking Kunza. It is the language of the Likan-antay and their brethren to the north. She asked who we are.” Tuis nodded and looked back at the woman, smiling with what he hoped was a pleasant expression. “Tell her we merchants from south, come trade exotic goods.” Kri turned back to the woman and spoke in rapid-fire Kunza. She responded. “She says we may see the Council of Elders.”

The six followed the woman into the council building—the long hallway was dimly-lit and smoky, though Tuis could see other carvings on the stone walls. At the end of the great hallway, there was a second door, much smaller than the entrance, though of the same wood. The woman opened this door and let them in. This room was well-lit, likely because of the large circular hole in the ceiling. Seated around a large clay table were six old men and four old women—the elders, Tuis assumed. In front of this clay table, on a raised platform, were four seats. The six, led by the woman, climbed onto the platform, where Tuis and his brothers sat while the Mapuche interpreters squatted in front of them.

Tuis sat uncomfortably. On the way to the village, P’to had told him that they would be questioned by each of the ten elders before trade rights could be granted. It was the woman on the left who spoke first. “What are your names?”, P’to translated. Tuis answered, and realized as he did so that this was going to be a long day.

The sun was hanging low over the horizon by the time the four brothers and their interpreters stumbled out of the building. It had been a long questioning and negotiation but—finally—they had succeeded. The elders had granted them the rights to trade in Lasana. Lasana only, however. The rest of the Likan-antay lands were strictly off limits.

“Tuis, friend, look—there is where you may set up your trading post.” P’to pointed to a building more or less in the center of the village. The Rapanui looked at P’to with confusion. “Trading post? We not talk on any trading post.” “Yes, you did. That is what ‘trade rights’ means.” “I thought just meant caravans!” “Well, of course there will be caravans! How else are you going to get more goods to sell? But at least one of you—probably you, since you are the leader—and one of us, to translate, must stay behind and man the post, as a gesture of goodwill and to make sure the elders do not decide to simply seize your products.” For a moment, Tuis thought about just leaving. Just forgetting the whole trade rights thing and going back home to his wife and children. But who would accept him if he did so? The trader steeled himself and nodded. “So be it. Now, let us go and explore this Lasana. I have an urge to purchase some of these people’s wonders.”

Though the street had largely emptied by the time they entered it, Tuis still managed to purchase several colorful clothes—good, he thought, for the climate here—and several carvings, for his brothers to take back to his family. Wiki, on his part, purchased a fantastically-carved and shiny sculpture of an unknown, hard yellow substance, while Hi and Ulu both purchased spears tipped with the strangest shining red-gold substance. Now it was dark, and all six of them stood within one of the smoky buildings, watching, mesmerized, as one of the Likan-antay craftsmen worked his will on a piece of the red substance. “What is that stuff?”,Tuis asked the craftsman through Kri. Kri said, “It is hard to explain. He calls it, er, rauwhero konganuku(6). Tanned metal.” “Can he teach us how to make it?”,asked Ulu. “Er, yes, if you pay him in something he want.” The Mapuche responded in Rapanui. And so, when Ulu and Hi, along with P’to (Wiki and Kri had elected to stay behind with Tuis), returned to Nua’e Rapanui, they brought something and someone else with them.

The someone? A shuffling, limping smith named Okaloka. The something? Arsenic bronze and copper and the ways to mine and smelt both. By the end of the next year, three smithies would have sprung up around the young city, while mines would begin to dot the mountains behind.

Intermezzo: Every Man A Chief

Nua’e Rapanui, the Great Island May 11, 1036 CE

“No. No, no, and for the last time, no. None of us will ever set foot again on the damned island, I tell you!”,Toi yelled across the long wooden table at his son. The room they (and the other delegates of the two religions) stood in was simple, and still had the smell of freshly-cut wood about it. A merry fire—unreflecting of the human tensions in the room—burned at its center. The relationship between Aata and his father had degenerated rather rapidly as the religious tensions which had characterized the island’s last years flared up once more. And now Aata was causing trouble once again.
“Yes, I know we need a new ruler—I am head of the Tangata Manu, or did you forget? We, too, have been debating on what to do about the lack of the Birdman competition, but even those most zealous know we will die if we return to Rapa Nui!” Aata gritted his teeth. “Then how shall we select the new leader, o illustrious father? Do you propose to return to the old ways of chaos, when every man was a chief and only his body obeyed him?” Toi took a moment for silence to return to the room before responding. In truth, the elders of Tangata Manu had long debated on and crafted Nua’e Rapanui’s new form of government. Though many of them had protested, Toi had pushed through the idea of collaboration with the moai men. Secretly, he thought, it was because he wished to make up with his son. And so, finally, they had come up with a form of government.

“I shall tell you how we will choose our new leader. As it has always been, the ivi-attua will select contestants who shall then select hopus from their own tribes. However, rather than swimming to Moto Nui, these hopus shall rule the multitudinous tribes of Rapanui and decide their fates, as though they were one chief, for two years. Then they shall return to being regular tribe members and the cycle shall begin again. Now, to please the moai, we have a further addition to this plan—more moai shall be erected on the beach to honor the ancestors and each of the hopus shall sleep before each of the moai before they are allowed to take their position. If they are sent nightmares, they are obviously unfit and a new hopu shall be chosen. Otherwise, they will continue as planned. What do you say?”

Though the moai men would grumble that day, the right-headedness of the plan would soon prevail upon them. And so the Rapanui entered a new age, ruled by one chief with the heads of many men.

Notes
(1) The Likan-antay are also known as the Atacamenos.
(2) Moto Nui was a small island near Rapa Nui where the Hopus would swim every year to get Sooty Tern eggs. Cop’a’e was a temporary settlement where tern hunters would live during the summer.
(3) That’d be a llama.
(4) Lasana was a pretty huge town until the Likan-antay really began fading away in the 1300s. But it’s true, Orongo had an estimated 10,000 living in one tiny little cliff-side village.
(5) They’re smiths, smelting and stuff.
(6) The language he’s using is Rapanui, by the way, not Mapuche or Kunza.

I think it's really good. Subscribed!

Just to clarify what animals and technologies the Rapanui are going to introduce to America?

Yay!

Well, the Polynesians have already introduced pigs (and thus pig-related diseases, giving the Americas a new weapon against the Europeans and strengthening American immune systems) and chickens (not much of a change from OTL, really) and are in the process of introducing tropical plants such as bananas (which can grow in Chile). They're also introducing highly developed agricultural and seafaring technologies, and are rapidly changing the political and social dynamic in South America to something a litle more, well, dynamic.

Jumping forward a bit with this one. By the way, this one will be the last of the "regular" updates. I'v had a bit of a blessing these last three days, have been so sick that all I could do was sit at the computer and write. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm well now, and will have much less time to write. Anyway, enjoy!

Chapter 3: The Axemen

Kakpo(1), The Great Island December 24, 1050 CE

The six shivering Mapuche sat around the smoke-spitting fire as rain splashed down around their small hovel. All of them were mere unit-pieces, fragments of a society that had been torn apart by disease, war, and simple bad luck.

The Second Great Plague had come to the villages around Nua’e Rapanui thirteen years ago, devastating all in its path(2). Rapidly had it spread, moving north, east, and south like a wildfire. In the north, only the great cities of Lasana and Calama had survived with more than three-quarters of their population. In the south and east, the various Mapuche tribes had been devastated, thousands of the malnourished and ill-hygiened natives dying. And out of that destruction had risen the specter of death and horrifying deeds. Those survivors who were not struck with the plague had rallied behind the banner of one Nahuel(3) who had sworn to eradicate the sickness from the lands of the Mapuche. Thousands more had died as those sick ones who had survived the hardest first stages of the disease were hunted down and slain along with their children.

When the dust had finally settled, and the sickness finally passed northwards into the dark jungles, those who had lived under the chiefs were surprised and rather terrified to see in their place an empire. During the Times of Terror, Nahuel had solidified his rule over the southern peninsula of the homeland, using force. North of Nahuel’s great chiefdom, too, there was nowhere for a free Mapuche to go. The Rapanui had extended their rule north and east, expanding into the vacuum left by the plague. Even further north, the Likan-antay were refusing entry to all Mapuche, citing Nahuel’s hideous deeds.

A festering hatred had now begun to grow among the Mapuche, even though it was officially discouraged by Nahuel. “All of this trouble had came after the thrice-damned Rapanui landed on our shores with their strange gods and strange ways!”, one of the six (named Raiquen) said. Four of the others looked at him soundlessly, while the fifth said softly, “Do not be saying this in public. The great chief’s ears are everywhere.”

A silky, dark voice responded to this statement, causing all in the tent to start with surprise. “Indeed are my ears everywhere, Lichuen. It is wise of you to remember.” A rather small, though strong, form stepped out of the shadows, bright brown eyes darting around the assembled advisors, lips curled in a predatory half-smile. Truly did the Great Chief Nahuel live up to his name. Though always a small man, he had been blessed with that sort of coiled strength which seems to rest in wiry men and sinewy jungle cats alike. Multitudinous scars decorated the chief’s bare torso, while he moved with an almost imperceptible limp. Yet though he was aging, great power still lived within Nahuel. Power which was to soon change everything.
“I, too, have been thinking on the matter of the Rapanui. You are correct, Raiquen. The plague and the required slaughter that followed were all brought on by those water-rats. Therefore, I believe, it is our duty to our fallen brethren to bring the wrath of Gualichu(4) upon our enemies.” A collective gasp rose from the advisors at these words. “But no man shall presume to use Gualichu! Gualichu cannot be used, he only uses!” ,said (the rather irritating, thought Nahuel) Raiquen. Nahuel spun on his heel and with fire in his eyes, shouted, “ I am a man like no other! I shall indeed presume to use Gualichu to revenge my people, my wife, my children!” He breathed deeply to calm himself down before continuing.

“No more talk. Ready the men. We march northwards at dawn.”

South of Nua’e Rapanui January 19, 1051 CE

Aata looked down from the hill upon the thousands of approaching Mapuche and shifted his rauwhero konganuku armor uncomfortably. After his father had died six years ago—three years after being appointed head of Nua’e Rapanui’s defense by the hopu council—Aata had taken command of Nua’e Rapanui’s soldiers, and had commissioned rauwhero konganuku armor from the city-state’s smithies to replace the wooden armor formerly used, as well as weapons and shields. Further, he had explored new tactics for the men to use, and had convinced the hopus to fight Nahuel’s army rather than paying them off like usual, even with the Mapuche numbers. However, deep within himself, he was not confident his methods would work—after all, they had never been tried before.

With a sigh, Aata picked up the shining helmet resting on the rock in front of him and placed it on his head. Then, with utmost quiet, he nodded to the flag-waver next to him. The man stood up and waved his red flag twice, quickly, then dropped immediately, wary of Mapuche archers.(5) This was the signal to begin. Aata put his hands on the boulder in front of him. Then, with a final grunt, he shoved the rock. Boulders careened down the cliff onto the unsuspecting Mapuche, killing many hundreds. Nahuel’s army was already in disarray. But the carnage was not finished yet. The flag-bearer stood once again and waved his green flag once. A moment later, many hundreds of koa (6) axes, covered in serrated bronze “teeth”, flew down from the tops of the hills on either side of the Mapuche army, slaughtering more of the helpless warriors. Drawing his koa sword, Aata took a moment to admire the bronze teeth on either side of the wooden sword before screaming a battle cry and leaping down the hill. All around the valley, a similar scene was occurring: Rapanui soldiers, clad in shining rauwhero konganuku and swinging great koa swords, tore apart screaming Mapuche braves.

Victory.

Nua’e Rapanui January 20, 1051 CE

“The battle is won, gentlemen. Now, I suggest we strike rapidly for the throat—have the army march straight to Kakpo and seize it in the name of Make-make, show these lands the power of the Rapanui.” Aata spoke in a voice cracked with exhaustion, yet excited at the prospect of further victory. The commander stood in high contrast to the clean, well-dressed hopus he stood in front of: still in his bloodstained, dirt-covered armor, while his face bore a few new scratches from the battle. One hopu seemed rather fascinated with the drops of blood that intermittently dripped from a slash on his right arm.

The man at the center of the council, however, was unimpressed. Tuis-am-oa had come a long way from being a simple trader. After making his fortune in Lasana and taking a second (Likan-antay) wife to supplement his prior one, Tuis had returned to Nua’e Rapanui as a respected, wealthy man. The many trials of life had given him some sort of ethereal wisdom—that, perhaps, was the contestants from his tribe had elected him as their hopu. After having distinguished himself as an excellent statesman and diplomat to the Likan-antay, he had been reelected two years after his first term, and had not been out of office since. He had become a pragmatic man, and had no wish for more glory, or more death.

“But why would we need to demonstrate our power? We have already crushed the forces of this so-called “great chief”. Now the Mapuche will surely return to their barbaric tribal ways and we will be able to continue in peace. And anyway, if we strike for the heart now, we will appear brutal and will make an eternal enemy in the Mapuche. Now, we have the chance to rebuild relations with Nahuel and his men. And further, we must look to the north. The Inka are expanding southwards into the lands of our allies the Likan-antay, and they cry for our assistance. Surely we can’t leave them to die!”

Murmurs of agreement whispered throughout the chamber, and Aata gritted his teeth. “A second victory like the one we have just had would terrify the Inka! Maybe even convince them not to continue expanding southwards, in the face of our power! As for the Mapuche—“ Tuis held up his hand. “Stop talking now, young man. Here, my fellow hopus, let us vote on this rather one-sided matter. All for the invasion?” After a few moments of silence, one hand rose in the left of the room. Aata was surprised to see that it was Tuis’ own brother, Wiki-li-ano, who had voted against. Silently, the warrior thanked the wealthy smith and turned back to Tuis with a heavy heart. “All against the invasion?” All of the other twenty-nine hopus raised their hands.
“It is decided. There will be no invasion, and you, young man, will go to Lasana and prepare the Likan-antay and our own troops in the north to defend against Inka aggression.” Aata, once again grinding his teeth, bowed as respectfully as possible. “Yes, master hopu.” Turning on his heel, Aata strode out, gripping the hilt of his koa sword so tightly his fingers were white.

Notes
(1) The capital of the new Mapuche empire—roughly the area of Valdivia, Chile.
(2) It’s the same plague that devastated Rapa Nui, FYI. It’s essentially a really nasty form of swine flu.
(3) In Mapuche, this means jaguar. Badass, huh?
(4) The Mapuche “evil force”. He can’t really be called the god of evil, because Gualichu is more of a spiritual, abstract thing than an actual, physical deity.
(5) This whole flag thing is a new tactic, by the way, thought up by Aata. You know, I really need to get these Polynesians writing…
(6) Koa is a kind of tree, IOTL only found in Hawaii. But with the Polynesians carrying plants and animals to Rapa Nui, koa, too, has traveled to the island and to Chile as well. Koa weapons are interesting in that rather than simply making clubs out of the wood, the Polynesians would usually carve them into some sort of blade, to which they would fasten shark teeth to make a serrated edge. They also did that with these awesome throwing axes they had.

Hope this isn't too implausible! Do criticize.

EDIT: Oh, and a small map of Patagonia before the short war with the Mapuche.

Map of Polynesian America.png