AH.com podcast#1 - What If : Nazis

The Saturday the 5th of March, at 21:00 GMT, a new era will rise with the first podcast of your favourite forum.

And the talk will be about the most infamous, the most evil threat that ever threatened the realities and the mental health of the forum.

I'm talking about...the NAZIS

PODs will be dissected, explained, laughed at, however their plausibility and craziness. 3 hours of AH makers and readers at work, for their and your great pleasure.

Let's your kids and newcomers listen it and learn about how nazis must be treated!

And you, you faithful and loyal member of the AH.com board, you can participe to this monument to alternate history.

YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

Last edited:
The technical aspects are as follows:

We will use Skype to talk. People who want to participate (just post on this thread if you do) should preferably record a short audio test and link here, so that we can hear if your sound system works.

We will have a designated recorder, who will record the whole thing to his hard drive. The same person will also be the editor, and will cut the talk as necessary. Backup recorders would be much appreciated. For this first podcast I've volunteered to be the recorder.

As for publishing we will use a free podcast host with RSS capabilities. The specific host is yet to be decided (suggestions are welcome), but research will be done to determine the best alternative.

I hope to see (or rather hear) you there!

Consider this downloaded. 3 hours? Crikey. Something to listen to on the way to and from work next week...!

Thande

Donor
Awesomeness. I won't be around to participate for this one (assuming I can ever get my microphone to work) but if this takes off we'll see about the future.

Definately downloading. If I can get a mike at some point in the next week (possible despite a trip to Poland), I might participate as well.

I suggest no more than 40 minutes, preferably between 10-20. Don't want to tire people out.

Best of luck, wish I could do it!
Bah, if you lil' buggers get tired, put it on pause and come back later.

A podcast can go half an hour to an hour (or maybe more) no problem. No limit but when the broadcasters wanna stop the show.

Consider this downloaded. 3 hours? Crikey. Something to listen to on the way to and from work next week...!

I suggest no more than 40 minutes, preferably between 10-20. Don't want to tire people out.

Best of luck, wish I could do it!

I'd say maybe an hour and a half at most.

It's 3 hours to give us some lee way. Remember that some content will probably be cut, so the end product is likely going to be shorter than the whole conversation. Furthermore we might not use the whole 3 hours, and you don't have to attend for the whole time if you don't want to (but we'd prefer it if you do). If you want to come into the talk after it has already begun, you are welcome to as well, and a technical solution will be worked out.

The time itself was chosen as a reasonable compromise of European and American timezones, as most of our members are from those areas. We realise the time is going to be problematic for any potential members in Asia who want to participate, or Oceania for that matter, but it can't be helped.

EDIT: Oh, and just to be on the safe side I want to specify that the language for the podcast will be English, and I'd like to urge participants to stick to it as much as possible. Don't be afraid if it isn't your first language or you have an accent: both me and LSCaitilina aren't native English speakers and my accent at least is quite atrocious. We'll make it work.

This sounds like a great idea, and I do have a decent mic, but as I'm not an expert on Nazis I'll probably stick to listening to the end result. I might like to participate in any future episodes though.

This sounds like a great idea, and I do have a decent mic, but as I'm not an expert on Nazis I'll probably stick to listening to the end result. I might like to participate in any future episodes though.

It would be a good thing you participe because

1)AH it's not made for an elitist club, and every idea could lead to an interesting discussion

2)We have chosen the Nazis because it's one of the most popular cliché in AH. If you come with a fresh vision, with "hey, it's my first TL/map and i will make it about the nazis" it's rather normal. This podcast is for newcomers too. I think it's more enjoyable to say "Kids, let's see how you can do a great job with a nazi-wank world" than "AH CLICHE LULZ!"

You don't have to be an expert in the topic. Any input is welcome, as long as it follows the rules of the fora. As long as you are civil and polite your are welcome to attend. The talk is quite informal as well, so you don't have to come with a prepared lecture so to speak.

We never did discuss swearing in our planning talk, but I think we are going to leave it in. Might beep it post-production if that's required, but probably not. That doesn't mean you should come in and talk like a sailor though.

Also since this is about the Nazis I think it should be clarified that standard forum rules apply. No supporting the holocaust (I will personally report you to Ian, even if the podcast is outside the fora), and please try to refrain from using Nazi slogans or songs or whatnot outside of an informative or historical context. We don't want users from Germany risking criminal charges from listening to us. ;)

You don't have to be an expert in the topic. Any input is welcome, as long as it follows the rules of the fora. As long as you are civil and polite your are welcome to attend. The talk is quite informal as well, so you don't have to come with a prepared lecture so to speak.

We never did discuss swearing in our planning talk, but I think we are going to leave it in. Might beep it post-production if that's required, but probably not. That doesn't mean you should come in and talk like a sailor though.

Also since this is about the Nazis I think it should be clarified that standard forum rules apply. No supporting the holocaust (I will personally report you to Ian, even if the podcast is outside the fora), and please try to refrain from using Nazi slogans or songs or whatnot outside of an informative or historical context. We don't want users from Germany risking criminal charges from listening to us. ;)

On regards to language i would suggest perhaps beeping out the more colourful stuff but keeping things like hell, crap, damn, etc in the podcast

On regards to language i would suggest perhaps beeping out the more colourful stuff but keeping things like hell, crap, damn, etc in the podcast

I don't know. I'd like the podcast to maintain the spirit of the fora, and we don't censor courses around here. I think I trust our members enough to not overuse swearing to the point it becomes annoying or truly obscene. Sometimes though a swear word is the only appropriate thing you can use to emphasise a point you are trying to make, and I'd rather not restrict us from those methods. Plus censoring would mean more work for the production team (aka, me in this case).

We could record a disclaimer to play before the rest of the content just to be on the safe side. That might actually not be a bad idea.

I don't know. I'd like the podcast to maintain the spirit of the fora, and we don't censor courses around here. I think I trust our members enough to not overuse swearing to the point it becomes annoying or truly obscene. Sometimes though a swear word is the only appropriate thing you can use to emphasise a point you are trying to make, and I'd rather not restrict us from those methods. Plus censoring would mean more work for the production team (aka, me in this case).

We could record a disclaimer to play before the rest of the content just to be on the safe side. That might actually not be a bad idea.

I agree with you, do a discalmer with like and 18+ rating for the swearing (If there is any, if not then adjust the rating) and a warning about the sensative subject mater (Nazis in this case)

I agree with you, do a discalmer with like and 18+ rating for the swearing (If there is any, if not then adjust the rating) and a warning about the sensative subject mater (Nazis in this case)

I will probably use a standard "This podcast features adults, using adult language. You have been warned."

If at all possible I'd also like to get a unique participant of each talk to do it, just for variety in the future. Otherwise just let the editor/recorder do it each time.