A World Without Disney

What would a world without Disney look like? What consequences/benefits/affects would it have on the world? How would the field of animation have developed? How would the world have developed?

Animation might be more closely tied to the existing Hollywood studios, perhaps? Disney was strongly independent, after all.
I'm not sure if we'd still get Disney-style animated films.

Great Post.Fleishers and Popeye and other characters would be around.Don't forget Warner Brothers and the guys of Termite Terrace-the animators.Assume the Fleishers do a Popeye feature rather than Gulliver's Travel and that is a success then more features would show especially if they do not do Mr Bug Goes to Town-a VERY bad film which cost the Fleisher's their studio and Superman features.Who knows, maybe Warners would try a feature film with cartoon characters like Bugs, etc.No, we'd get Fleisher and/or WB cartoons.WB still had Tex Avery at work and a young Chuck Jones!

Without Disney anime and manga would be drastically different, more Eastern European/Soviet and traditionally Japanese influenced. Also space travelling might be less popular in the US, seeing how Walt was a close friend of Wernher von Braun and cooperated with him for "propaganda", so an ATL von Braun-equivalent would miss an important partner.

Well unless one of the other animators takes Disney's place ?

Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and I ?

B U G then an S

B U N N Y

1. Orlando, FL remains a sleepy bedroom community. No Disney World

2. No Radio Disney or Disney Channel. This means no Hannah Montana for Miley Cyrus to star in (or for that matter, anything featuring Lindsey Lohan)

3. No "A World of Laughter, A World of Tears"

4. Can you say: "What's up Doc?"

I reckon Eisenhower would have become President instead, the GOP nearly had that election in the bag already and they'd have looked past a heart attack to guarantee the victory that would spare us that pinko Stevenson.

...wait, where the hell am I? Who's this 'Obama' guy?

2. No Radio Disney or Disney Channel. This means no Hannah Montana for Miley Cyrus to star in (or for that matter, anything featuring Lindsey Lohan)

3. No "A World of Laughter, A World of Tears"

4. Can you say: "What's up Doc?"

And ABC/ESPN won't be within the Disney Empire.

Well, it could be what it was from the 40's to 60's- a defense center. (They still have contractors there!)

True- but Miley might find a way to go into music following her dad. (Perhaps with a stronger WB, Selena Gomez could play Zatanna...)

A few changes:
Cultural:
-Amusement parks would be more like Coney Island than WDW or Disneyland.
-Winnie the Pooh might not be as popular. Perhaps A. A. Milne might get a different reputation? (He didn't just write kid's books...)
-Disney was one of the first pro-HUAC witnesses. Perhaps his absencce would have diminished HUAC's opinions?
Movies:
-Mary Poppins may not get made. As a result, Julie Andrews may not get Best Actress. (Her entire career may change as a result...)
-If Tron doesn't get made, it diminishes the use and appeal of computer animation in the future, resulting in HUGE changes to today's business.
WWII:
-A lot of propaganda shorts don't get made.
-No Victory Through Air Power. Could this result in fewer heavy bombers?
-No Saludos Amigos or Three Caballeros. Could this make South America and Central America a more fertile ground for the Axis? (Henry Wallace himself praised Walt for his role in promoting good relations with Central and South America.)

These are just off the top of my head...

Bugs Bunny will have no peer as KING!!!!

Bugs Bunny was inspired by Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, whom Tex Avery worked on during his time at Universal Studios. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit was created by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks during their time at Universal Studios. No Disney means no Oswald and no Oswald means no Bugs Bunny.

Besides, there's always Spongebob.

Wait, what do we mean "no Disney"? Do we mean Walt Disney himself is gone, or just Walt Disney Studios? I ask because he might go into politics or something if he still exists.

Wait, what do we mean "no Disney"? Do we mean Walt Disney himself is gone, or just Walt Disney Studios? I ask because he might go into politics or something if he still exists.

how about with a POD of... oh say... Walt Disney dies in a head-on collision while serving as an ambulance driver in WWI?