WI Russia never sold Alaska to the US

Alaska was purchaed from the Russian Empire on March 30, 1867, for $7.2 million ($113 million in today's dollars) at about two cents per acre ($4.74/km²). The land went through several administrative changes before becoming an organized territory on May 11, 1912, and the 49th state of the U.S. on January 3, 1959.

How would the Cold War had unfolded, let alone Allied relationships, been different had the continental US not included the northern state of Alaska?

I think the Cold War is too late. Alaska probably would have got picked off before then in some war or in the aftermath of the Russian Revolution, assuming the Revolution occurs. Any war where Russia finds itself against the Americans, the Brits, or even the Japanese is a war where Alaska is vulnerable.​

Talking about Russia keeping it was done a while back, my post must not have worked...anyhow, what I said in that post was it would probably have been the place White Russia ended up during the war if they still lost. That's what some talked about in the earlier thread on this subject. Always happy to see more on it though :eek:

I had actually heavily considered writing a short story based around this AH.

Although based in the present day, I had worked out a rough timeline. The basics of it that the discovery of resources e.g. gold/oil had convinced Russia to keep Alaska.

This influx of resources helped to increase the fortunes of the Empire, creating a powerful Eastern side of the Empire. The 'Great Trans-Siberian Railway' is built earlier. An emerging middle class is seen to occur, ending serfdom.

Russia still goes to war with Japan in the early 20thC and ends up victorious, taking several Japanese territories.

Russia is much better prepared for WWI and emerges with Nicholas still as Tsar. However the wall street crash hits Russia hard. Following decades of unrest, further wars with Japan and a failed bloody invasion from the Nazis, the Monarchy is disposed in WWII with Joseph Stalin coming to power and creating the Soviet Union.

The Japanese do not attack Pearl Harbour, focusing on a full war with Russia. The US continue with their isolationist policy and do not become involved in WWII. The War carries on until 1946 when Britain finally manages to slowly liberate France and defeat the Nazis. Hitler commits suicide but only after launching four atomic bombs over Europe.

And that was about as far as I got timeline wise! Obviously it was rather under researched but it made good fun. Another aspect of it was Canada never truly becoming independent due to fear of Russian invasion, and it acting as a buffer zone between the US and Russia.

The modern day would have seen Alaska as a breakaway state, trying to claim independence and some form of international crisis between Russia and Britain. Probably involving nuclear weapons. ;)

Remember, the main reason Russia did the deal with the USA was because they were afraid they would lose the territory to the British Empire for nothing. By selling to the USA, they get something for an indefensible territory, and after the American Civil War, the British Empire wasn't spoiling for a fight with the USA (no matter what you-know-who will claim), so they did nothing to stop it. It was only a dozen years since the Crimean War.

No Seward's Folly? The Dominion of Canada is now richer,:) and colder.:( Also, Canada's involvement in WWII is greater, at least for a while.

Could Japan try to take it after their victory in the Russo-Japanese War?

I've always maintained that the Japanese wouldn't want to offend the Americans since Alaska would fall under the Monroe Doctrine and I doubt Roosevelt, let alone other Americans, would like the idea of there being a Japanese toehold on the North American continent.

It's relatively easy to have Russia never sell Alaska to the U.S

All you need to do is have Russia's siberian provinces more populated (the earlier the pod the better) and increase the size of the Russian navy in the east. Then the need to Colonize Alaska will present itself. And other colonies too.

With a larger population we might see a much stronger (and larger) middle class, which might lead to explorer's and traders creating missions to Alaska for exploitation of it's natural resources. And missionaries and imams spreading the true faith to Alaska. And the Russian navy will be able to transport people, resources and ideas necessary to turn Alaska into a Russian province.

If Russia only knew the amount of help that Alaska could be to their imperial coffers.

Alaska was purchaed from the Russian Empire on March 30, 1867, for $7.2 million ($113 million in today's dollars) at about two cents per acre ($4.74/km²). The land went through several administrative changes before becoming an organized territory on May 11, 1912, and the 49th state of the U.S. on January 3, 1959.

How would the Cold War had unfolded, let alone Allied relationships, been different had the USA not included the northern state of Alaska?

Welcome to the board RunningDog. Let me pass along a couple of links to recent (Dec. '10 - Jan. '11) threads on this topic, for the sake of institutional memory:

Keeping Alaska Russian - https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=181248

WI Gold Discovered in Alaska Before 1867? - https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=178502

WI Earlier Discovery of Oil In Alaska? - https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=174797

I don't see any way Russia still controls Alaska after the revolution. Russian Alaska was basically justsome settlements on the southeastern panhandle. It is too remote to have any positive impact on Imperial Russian development. The Yukon gold rush leads to additional Anglo-phone penetration of the territory and probably to a British protective occupation of the territory under the terms of the Entente once WW1 breaks out. Once the revolution breaks out, the Reds will never be able to project forces to Alaska and the territory becomes a defacto British territory, perhaps a LON mandate. Despite Soviet objections, Alaska becomes a British dominion and then joins Canada in 1949 at the same time Newfoundland does on the other coast.

I had actually heavily considered writing a short story based around this AH.

Although based in the present day, I had worked out a rough timeline. The basics of it that the discovery of resources e.g. gold/oil had convinced Russia to keep Alaska.

This influx of resources helped to increase the fortunes of the Empire, creating a powerful Eastern side of the Empire. The 'Great Trans-Siberian Railway' is built earlier. An emerging middle class is seen to occur, ending serfdom.

Russia still goes to war with Japan in the early 20thC and ends up victorious, taking several Japanese territories.

Russia is much better prepared for WWI and emerges with Nicholas still as Tsar. However the wall street crash hits Russia hard. Following decades of unrest, further wars with Japan and a failed bloody invasion from the Nazis, the Monarchy is disposed in WWII with Joseph Stalin coming to power and creating the Soviet Union.

The Japanese do not attack Pearl Harbour, focusing on a full war with Russia. The US continue with their isolationist policy and do not become involved in WWII. The War carries on until 1946 when Britain finally manages to slowly liberate France and defeat the Nazis. Hitler commits suicide but only after launching four atomic bombs over Europe.

And that was about as far as I got timeline wise! Obviously it was rather under researched but it made good fun. Another aspect of it was Canada never truly becoming independent due to fear of Russian invasion, and it acting as a buffer zone between the US and Russia.

The modern day would have seen Alaska as a breakaway state, trying to claim independence and some form of international crisis between Russia and Britain. Probably involving nuclear weapons. ;)

Some problems:
1. i doubt Stalin would be important in the Bolshevik underground if the Russian Empire survives to the 30s.
2. If Russia beat Japan in an equivalent to the war of 1905, then Japan won't rise as an emerging power, and thus not become the menace that bombed Pearl Harbor or threaten China (or Russia for that matter).
3. If Russia falls to revolution, Britain or US might just capture Alaska in the chaos that would follow.

The Japanese were at the breaking point when the Russians collapsed. They were in no position to expand anywhere when peace broke out.

?

Can you elaborate on 'breaking point'? As of the cessation of hostilities, the Russians hadn't won a single battle and two of their fleets had been destroyed. Were Japanese casualties so heavy that they couldn't have resisted Russian reinforcements sent by the railroad?

?

Can you elaborate on 'breaking point'? As of the cessation of hostilities, the Russians hadn't won a single battle and two of their fleets had been destroyed. Were Japanese casualties so heavy that they couldn't have resisted Russian reinforcements sent by the railroad?
They had run out of money and supplies.