A Curious WI

According to Wikipedia, Seth MacFarlane was supposed to be on Flight 11 on the morning of 11 September. However, due to a hangover and an incorrect departure time, he missed the flight. Flight 11 was later hijacked at 8am and flown into the WTC at 8:46am.

So, AH.com, what if he had been among the passengers of Flight 11? What happens to American culture? To Family Guy?

And the Cleveland Show. But mostly known for Family Guy and American Dad.

Edit: Well, Family Guy was (in OTL) brought back on the air in November of 2001. Fox ordered 13 new episodes on 24 July 2000, which made the third season. With MacFarlane's death, Fox loses one of the main creative minds behind the show. Family Guy probably doesn't get renewed or, if it does, dies after the third season.

Last edited:
I don't know how Family Guy would have continued without Macfarlane since not only is he one of the main creative minds but the voice for 3 of the main characters plus numerous other characters. I could see perhaps some of the other writers possibly getting the oppprtunity to land a spinoff but without Macfarlane there is no Family Guy.

Family Guy becomes just another one of those short-lived cartoon series that some network tried to copy the Simpson's with. Because the creator was on one of the planes on 9/11, it gains a bit of a cult following with videos and syndication. People who worked with McFarland get to call him a 'genius' who died before his time, and then use that connection to get some good gigs.

Fox might try another animated series on next to the Simpson's, maybe another Groening project. Don't know what the results of it is, but I'd see two possibilities: they hit upon a successful show that caters to the same audience as Family Guy OTL, or they fail and that audience finds something on cable instead. Today, we see a slightly different TV lineup on Sunday nights, some different internet memes, etc. But not many other differences.

Although, it'd be interesting if Fox decides to try something else instead of an animated series if they continue to fail to find a good one. How about they try to come up with a replacement for the X-Files, which is dying around this time, and sink some money into a new sci-fi series to replace it. They can compete with Alias, maybe look at attracting the Buffy audience, without looking like a direct copy of either... hmmm... would Firefly do better on Sunday nights?

The entertainment industry in the United States remains half-decent for the remainder of the 2000s. No monopoly in FOX for animated programmes. :p

Who the heck is Seth MacFarlane?

Everything that's wrong with animated television in the 2000s and 2010s.

(DISCLAIMER: I joke, I joke! I kid, I kid!)

They can compete with Alias, maybe look at attracting the Buffy audience, without looking like a direct copy of either... hmmm... would Firefly do better on Sunday nights?
Not only does every ATL have a more successful space program, but also a longer-lasting Firefly.

Not only does every ATL have a more successful space program, but also a longer-lasting Firefly.

Yep :). And if the POD was earlier, Star Trek wouldn't have been cancelled, John Lennon would still be alive and there would have been no video game console crash in the '80's.

Really, I was just looking for something new they might be willing to try in place of an animated series, and the show comes out at just about the right time.

Cause Firefly is awesome? I'm gonna run with that assumption.

I mean, without Family Guy, there wouldn't be a lot of memes or good scenes (the 420 episode or the Giant Chicken fights). But I'm seeing Family Guy being taken off the air by mid-to-late 2001. After all, MacFarlane played a lot of roles- Brian, Stewie, Peter, Quagmire, etc. Fox would probably end up canceling the show, which gets a cult-like following in later years.

Yep :). And if the POD was earlier, Star Trek wouldn't have been cancelled, John Lennon would still be alive and there would have been no video game console crash in the '80's.

Really, I was just looking for something new they might be willing to try in place of an animated series, and the show comes out at just about the right time.

and "The Tick" live-action series is in its 11th season.

Fox might try another animated series on next to the Simpson's, maybe another Groening project.

Wow another Groening project? Like say Futurama?

Oddly enough McFarlane dying on Flight 11 may lead to Futurama taking Family guy's slot, maybe buying the show a few more seasons.

I don't know why people hate on Seth Macfarlane I love family guy, different strokes I guess. Would we still see Robot Chicken? Seth Green also was very important Family Guy, being as he's Chris Griffin so maybe he doesn't get as much exposure.

That's a good point. It's possible that Robot Chicken doesn't happen (or if it does, it'll be solely Senreich), but I doubt it.

Senreich and Green were good friends and collaborated on a series of webisodes together, so while Green doesn't have a bigger exposure as he did in OTL, RC may still come about.

Shipoopi02_copy.jpg

this piece of awesomeness wouldn't exist

What if McFarlane was on the flight and prevented the hijacking? Even more awesome question. The FCC can't stop him from saying anything now.