Malawi, Burma and now Angola - Flag to be changed

Sometime in 2012, The Republic of Angola is to change its flag from this:

500px-Flag_of_Angola.svg.png

To this:

500px-Proposed_Flag_of_Angola.svg.png

Personally, I think its kinda cute. Maybe not suitable for country, but cute nonetheless. They should keep the old one though...

I can see why they want to change their flag, but the new one seems... not national. If the sun shape weren't as curvy or was more regular maybe. Is there a story behind the new flag or is it just because the old one is outdated?

Thande

Donor
Well the new Angolan one looks less evil, but I think the hand-drawn look of the symbol is "your mileage may vary" on whether it looks appropriate or not.

The Malawian...Malawite...Malaw...Nyasaland flag is more conventional than their previous one--it always looks to me like "Kurdish Afghanistan".

I can see why they want to change their flag, but the new one seems... not national. If the sun shape weren't as curvy or was more regular maybe. Is there a story behind the new flag or is it just because the old one is outdated?

It has something to do with some cave-paintings

(wiki)

The reason the flag is being changed is because the flag at present is based off that of the MPLA; given the long civil war, it's not seen as appropriate in the current political compromise situation, so a politic-neutral flag has been chosen. The flag shown was proposed in 2003, along with new insignia and words for the national anthem, but it's been waiting for the adoption of a new constitution.

They thought about changing in 1996, and came up with this:

ao!prop1.gif

The reason the flag is being changed is because the flag at present is based off that of the MPLA; given the long civil war, it's not seen as appropriate in the current political compromise situation, so a politic-neutral flag has been chosen. The flag shown was proposed in 2003, along with new insignia and words for the national anthem, but it's been waiting for the adoption of a new constitution.

They thought about changing in 1996, and came up with this:

Well something is wrong then, because Angola's parliament already approved a new constitution in 2010.... so why hasn't the flag changed yet?

Last edited:
Well something is wrong then, because Angola's parliament already approved a new constitution in 2010.... so why hasn't the flag changed yet?

Perhaps it's being introduced with the new parliament after the parliamentary elections in 2012? Though having looked at the 2010 constitution, that said that the red/black flag was the flag of Angola.

What prompted this topic being posted? I've not been able to find any recent news confirming it. Tellingly, flags of the world don't report this as fact...

Perhaps it's being introduced with the new parliament after the parliamentary elections in 2012? Though having looked at the 2010 constitution, that said that the red/black flag was the flag of Angola.

What prompted this topic being posted? I've not been able to find any recent news confirming it. Tellingly, flags of the world don't report this as fact...

The only place I've found the 2012 bit is on the Wikipedia article about the flag of Angola, but the fact itself is unsourced. Perhaps the person who made the edit assumed that the 2012 parliamentary and presidential elections would be followed by a flag change? But I don't see why that would be necessary. It's not like the flag is running for parliament or president or anything.

The only place I've found the 2012 bit is on the Wikipedia article about the flag of Angola, but the fact itself is unsourced. Perhaps the person who made the edit assumed that the 2012 parliamentary and presidential elections would be followed by a flag change? But I don't see why that would be necessary. It's not like the flag is running for parliament or president or anything.

I am so confuse.

That edit on Wikipedia (here) was unsourced, made only 5 days ago, grammatically incorrect, and made by an annonomus IP who, from their edits, has only been on Wikipedia once and had never contributed to any other Angolan articles. Most of his articles have been vandalising about Indonesia hosting the World Cup (here, here and here)*. Not a person you would trust.

Therefore, since there seems to be no news coverage of this at all I assume the OP read the wiki article and decided to post it here. I'm not accusing JJDXB of anything, but unless he can find any other source I will have to say this is complete ***.

That is why you don't rely on Wikipedia as your only source of knowledge. I have since undone the edit. Let's call this an experience and move on.

*Quick note to those of you who don't follow football/soccer, Indonesia can't host the next World Cup as it is in Asia the time before.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't actually find this from Wikipedia. It was a thread on twcenter that caught my attention. Seeing as there were no calls of "this is complete c***" I was inclined to believe the original source reputable as the OP on that thread made no references either (twcenter has that reputation - your info must be from reputable sites otherwise I won't believe you etc).

Now thinking about it, it does seem like this flag change is bogus :eek: