War Plan Red, the US invasion of Canada

Recently I learned that in the 1920s the US developed a plan to attack Canada called War Plan Red. As a Canadian, myself, I find this very interesting because, although I am familiar with "Manifest Destiny", the War of 1812, and other US attempts to invade Canada during the 1800s, I was unaware of any such ideas in the 1900s.

It seems War Plan Red was only a contingency plan but, after the plan was approved by both the Secretary of War and the Secretary of Navy, the US did try to secretly build some military airfields near the US-Canada border. It was officially withdrawn in 1939 following the outbreak of World War II and replaced with plans to deal with the Axis threat. But what if the US had gone ahead with the plan earlier? The US was in the depths of the Great Depression in the 30s so at first it seems unlikely that they would want to start a war. But wars have been "manufactured" (by the US it's self, some would say) to stimulate the economy before and considering Americans' historical tendency to regard Canada as a push-over it wouldn't be too hard to create a "believable" scenario in which the United States attacked Canada in the mid-1930s.

If this had happened it would not have only changed the course of North American history but the history of Europe and the world. The US and Canada both knew that, in the long-term, Canada's only hope of fighting-off US invasion was in the Great Britain. Plan Red largely focused on how to cut-off the Canadians from their British allies including a joint army-navy mission to capture the port city of Halifax. Other targets included Montreal (Canada's biggest city at the time), Quebec City, Winnipeg (a railroad hub), and the nickel mines of Ontario. The Navy was to take the Great Lakes and to blockade Canada's key Atlantic and Pacific ports. To make things even more interesting the Canadian military actually developed their own plan to attack the US! "Defence Scheme No. 1" called for the rapid deployment of flying columns to occupy Seattle, Great Falls, Minneapolis, and Albany. Like it's US counterpart this plan was mainly concerned with the British involvement in the conflict. In contrast to it's US counterpart, it's objective was surprise US troops and divert them away from Canada long enough for British reinforcements to arrive. Defence Scheme No. 1 was actually terminated in 1928 (two years before the approval of Plan Red) but I wouldn't be surprised that if Canadian forces had got wind of an imminent threat American attack they would have tried something like this.

Anyway, if British forces were involved in a war in North America when Germany invaded Poland in 1939 I don't know if Britain would have been as quick to declare war on Germany. And after the Axis invaded France, Hitler might have postponed his plans on Russia and shifted his focus to Britain. With British forces stretched thin North America the British Isles would look pretty ripe for the taking.

At this point the British government would be feeling the pressure to reduce their presence in Canada and protect the home front. Even though Canada would have the support of other British Empire forces such as Australia and New Zealand I think this would lead to downfall American take-over of Dominion of Canada. Plan Red outlined some post-invasion plans including how the Provinces would be changed into new States (I guess British Columbia would be shortened to Columbia).

Without the US on their side and many Imperial forces fighting the war in North America, Great Britain would eventually fall to the Nazis. Since Germany attacked Britain instead of Russia, the Soviet Union would be slower to get into the war than they were in the real world and this would also contribute to the downfall of Britain. I'm not sure what part Russia would play in the long-run, though. I'm sure tensions between the Nazis and the Soviet Union would eventually boil-over, though, and result in a full-out war between the two superpowers.

I'm not sure where Japan would fit into this but I'm sure they'd be glad to see the US take a beating. They'd probably go ahead with their attack on Pearl Harbor or maybe they'd get involved early on the side of the British and Canadians. Either way, the war in North America would be to their advantage. And a Japanese attack on the US would also be to the advantage of Canadians.

At this point this timeline is very undeveloped but I think it's got a lot of potential. What are your thought? Any and all input is welcome.

Last edited:
War Plan Red was conceived against Canada mainly because Congress didn't want the army planning for war against Germany. But IMO had it actually come to war I don't think the Brits would intervene. Probably offer to mediate but other than that I doubt it.

Cook

Banned
War Plan Red was conceived against Canada mainly because Congress didn't want the army planning for war against Germany...

No.

War Plan Black was war against Germany.
War Plan Orange was war against Japan.

The variant Orange-Red was war against Japan and Britain and played a significant part in later Strategic planning in World War Two.

Full list of ‘Colour’ War Plans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Five

The U.S. at that time developed all sorts of color-coded operational plan. The idea was to be ready for any contingency.

War Plan Red was conceived against Canada mainly because Congress didn't want the army planning for war against Germany. But IMO had it actually come to war I don't think the Brits would intervene. Probably offer to mediate but other than that I doubt it.

Keep in mind Canada was part of the British Empire at this point. Britain has always sided with Canada in the past and I don't think it would be any different here but if, like you suggest, the British hadn't become involved, I'm sure it would have caused mass unrest throughout the Empire.

Cook

Banned
War Plan Crimson was the invasion of Canada by the way. W.P. Red was the broader war plan against the British Empire.

Canada was an independent country at the time and Britain sided with the US over the Alaska-British Columbia border dispute. This would definately trigger recriminations throughtout the British Commonwealth but ultimately the US is too important to piss off at this time period.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
This is what General Staff do, plan for just about every possible need.

I would be utterly stunned if, somewhere in the Pentagon, there isn't a contingency plan for intervening/invading just about every major country on Earth which is updated at least twice a year. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there is a whole series of action plans ready for use if Aliens land.

I would wager that Canada (and every other professional military) has its own contingency plans for intervening/invading the U.S. If it doesn't, the PM needs to fire somebody and put a professional in that slot.

The planning means exactly nothing as far as actual intentions. The idea is to be ready to react if something goes sideways.

Of the Rainbow plans, three were the most developed:

GREEN: Mexico
ORANGE: Japan
CRIMSON/RED: Canada/British Empire.

Any military worth its salt has contingency plans prepared in peacetime; and they get changed every so often. CENTCOM Plan 1002 was for a Soviet Invasion of Iran, and the U.S. response to that. It was changed in 1990 to reflect the more likely event of an Iraqi attack into Kuwait and the Gulf States-a command post exercise simulating the response to that was run in June of 1990. On 2 Aug, Iraq invaded Kuwait, and 1002-90 became the basis for DESERT SHIELD/STORM.

me and my friend were just saying earlier this month that the US should invade Canada right now. They are one of US' biggest trade partners and if we took it over then we wouldnt have to trade with them anymore. we would get it directly. plus the US would get more money from taxes because of more constituents and would be able to get wood from the forests (though i dont approve of this one. i think we should never ever mess with these woods along with Alaska). Good day and merry christmas

Any and all input is welcome.

CalBear has already explained the rationale behind the planning. Red/Crimson wasn't some sinister plot. It was normal contingency planning undertaken by a professional military staff just like similar contingency plans undertaken by professional military staffs worldwide.

Go to the Profile of a member named "MacCauley" and check out his posts. He's started the best and most recent threads on this topic and those threads will have lots of information useful to you. Among other things, you'll learn about how those "secret" "military" "airbases" weren't exactly secret, weren't exactly military, and weren't exactly airbases.

You'll also learn about the contingency plan Canada created in response to the US contingency plan. ;)

archaeogeek

Banned

I would be utterly stunned if, somewhere in the Pentagon, there isn't a contingency plan for intervening/invading just about every major country on Earth which is updated at least twice a year. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there is a whole series of action plans ready for use if Aliens land.

I would wager that Canada (and every other professional military) has its own contingency plans for intervening/invading the U.S. If it doesn't, the PM needs to fire somebody and put a professional in that slot.

The planning means exactly nothing as far as actual intentions. The idea is to be ready to react if something goes sideways.

What Calbear said is correct - similarly, the French had pre-WW2 contingency plans some of which included invading Belgium in case of german invasion (which made a huge scandal when british intelligence got hold of it), and the British had contingency plans for the invasion of the US. They were not dark plots, it's what military staff does.

Cook

Banned

Got to keep them busy somehow.

‘Right then, Sergeant-Major marching up and down the square…”

0.jpg

MacCaulay

Banned
The U.S. at that time developed all sorts of color-coded operational plan. The idea was to be ready for any contingency.

I figured the idea was that it was after WWI, the US military had a budget of about a buck and half to go around to everyone, and it was way cheaper to write up warplans on paper than it was to put gas in trucks.

I figured the idea was that it was after WWI, the US military had a budget of about a buck and half to go around to everyone, and it was way cheaper to write up warplans on paper than it was to put gas in trucks.

Keeping your officer class busy planning for possible wars also keeps them happy. Stops them thinking "Maybe we could run the country better than those idiots who got voted in by those idiots"

me and my friend were just saying earlier this month that the US should invade Canada right now. They are one of US' biggest trade partners and if we took it over then we wouldnt have to trade with them anymore. we would get it directly. plus the US would get more money from taxes because of more constituents and would be able to get wood from the forests (though i dont approve of this one. i think we should never ever mess with these woods along with Alaska). Good day and merry christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAYMJnO9LBQ

"...with their beady little eyes and their heads flopping all over the place..."

27457d1244675809-ok-wheres-facepalm-emoticon-double-facepalm.jpg
imgres