The Palaiologoi Rennisance

Note: Final Versions of Posts will be in Blue

Chapter-1 1261 AD-1354 AD

Micheal Palaiologoi retoke Contstantinople from the Latins in the 1261st Year of our Lord, recreating the Byzantine Empire. His Empire was a mere shadow of itself, but had a chance for survival. This was threatened by the growing power of Islamic Anatolian Emirates, notably the Ottomans led by Osman.

Andronikos II Palaiologos the son of Micheal, is credited for the Ottoman defeat and the survival of the Byzantines. It was however the decisive thinking of his General George Mouzalon. In the 1302nd Year of our Lord, the Infidel Ottomans invaded Byzantine Bithynia. George Mouzalon the local commander of the area, met the Ottomans at Bapheus. He quickly realized he was outnumbered 2 to 1 and ordered a retreat to Nicea. The overconfident Osman persued him and began to lay siege to Nicea. However inside Nicea, the Byzantine Army, blostered by thousands of local milita, began preparing for a counter attack. George Mouzalon thought of a brilliant idea, the Byzantines overnight weakened the North Gate of Nicea so the ottomans could easily break through. Local milita would be stationed nearby. When the Ottomans broke in, the Milita would retreat back towards the town center and the Ottomans would pursue them and funnel into the streets. Other Byzantine troops could move behind them, trap them, and slaughter them. The Plan worked exactly as intended and Osman's Army was crushed. Legend has it that Geore himself slay Osman in hand to hand fighting. When the battle was over, the northern quarter of Nicea suffered some damages, but the Byzantines won and kept the City. It was a time of celebration all over the Empire and in Europe. The only christians who were not pleased with this Victory was the Catalan company, who seeked adventure, wealth, and conquest in Byzantium, but thier help would not be needed. Andronikos II soon launched a sucessful campaign into Mysia in the 1305th Year of our Lord. and retoke it from the Karesi Turks. Osman's son Orhan I tried to avenge his fathers defeat at Nicea, but he too was crushed and was chased by the Byzantines back to his capital at Sogut, which was burned and returned to Imperial rule in the 1307th year of our Lord. Andronikos III, the emperors brother had some sucess against Achea and brought it under Byzantine rule by the 1328th Year of our Lord.

Andronikos II died just Three years later a sucessful Emperor and was suceeded by his brother. Andronikos III began numerous campaigns in Greece trying to obtain a significant power base for the Byzantines again. Walter VI of Brienne, the duke of Athens desperatly tried to hold off the Byzantine onslaught, eventually hiring the Catalan Company to help him, the Reversed the sucess of the Byzantine Campaign, but at a cost, Walter VI was soon overthrown by the company and he barely escaped with his life, Ironically enough he fled to constantinople for protection and sold his title of Duke of Athens to the emperor and lived the rest of his life in the country. Back in Greece the Catalans were besieging Corinth, if it fell the Catalans would be in a position to take over Morea a deathblow to the Empire. A desperate Adronikos asked the other balkan nations, and even pleaded with the Pope for help. The Balkan nations didn't want the Byzantines to gain too much power, so they declined to help, but the pope decided this could be the chance for Reunification and agreed to help on the condition a council in Constantinople would be held discussing the Reunification of the Church. A single document managed to prevent the Catalans from taking Morea. It stated from the pope, if any of them crosed into Morea they would be excommunicated, the Catalan company fell apart and Athens quickly became under byzantine Influence. Thessalay soon followed and by the 1339th Year of our lord became Byzantine as well, The Empire now was connected again and the Byzantines could move freely between thier Empire. A year later, the Fifth Council of Constantinople was held. It worked out a deal for the reunification of the Church. First it determined that the Nicean Creed would be adopted as its universal creed. Second if something were to be added or removed, it would require the approval of all 5 Patriarchs, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, Constantinople, and Rome and it would beed to be approved by the Eccenumical Council which would be permenantly held in Rome from this point further and run by the Pope. Each Patriarch would be in charge of running the church in certain areas. The Pope (the patriarch of rome) Would run church in Western Europe, The Patriarch of Constantinople would run the Church of Eastern Europe, the Patriarch of Alexandria would run the church in Africa, the Patriarch of Jerusalem would run the church in the Holy Land, and the Patriarch of Antioch would run the Church of the Remainder of Asia. Mass would be held in local Languages, but prayers themselves would be said in Latin or Greek. After about 250 years of Seperation the Church would be united once more. With the Church United, Western European Countries were much more open to Byzantium and new trade was established. New ideas were spread Europes Rennisance had began. In the 1354th Year of our Lord, Adronikos III died and his son John V succeded him as emperor.

Last edited:
Map 1300

Here is the Map of the Byzantine Empire and Surrounding States in 1300

1300.png

The overconfident Osman persued him and began to lay siege to Nicea.
As far as I'm aware, the Ottomans did not really get siege technology until a while after 1302, so I can't see Osman chasing Mouzalon all the way back to Nicaea and then laying an impulsive siege. Medieval sieges took a lot of preparation, after all...

However inside Nicea, the Byzantine Army, blostered by thousands of local milita, began preparing for a counter attack.
Thousands of militia may be something of an exaggeration: the city of Nicaea probably had a population of about 10,000 in the early fourteenth century, at a rough guess, and I'd guess that only about a tenth of that will be men of fighting ability. The Roman soldiers won't have a lot of support inside a town unprepared for a siege, especially since the army is likely to devour all of the local food supplies.

It was a time of celebration all over the Empire and in Europe.
Europe as a whole? The Ottoman threat was neglible in the early 1300s- I doubt most Europeans would ever have heard of the House of Osman.

The only christians who were not pleased with this Victory was the Catalan company, who seeked adventure, wealth, and conquest in Byzantium, but thier help would not be needed. Andronikos II soon launched a sucessful campaign into Mysia in the 1305th Year of our Lord. and retoke it from the Karesi Turks. Osman's son Orhan I tried to avenge his fathers defeat at Nicea, but he too was crushed and was chased by the Byzantines back to his capital at Sogut, which was burned and returned to Imperial rule in the 1307th year of our Lord. Andronikos III, the emperors brother had some sucess against Achea and brought it under Byzantine rule by the 1328th Year of our Lord.
A little wanky, I fear. The ERE in this time period cannot simply go smacking around her opponents in this manner. A stonking victory over the Ottomans certainly helps things, but it does not alter the basic fact that hostile enemies exist on every front: Sicily, the Greek Crusader States, Bulgaria, and the Turkish emirates. I strongly suspect that, if the Emperors continue to focus on Anatolia, they'll get stabbed in the back by fellow Christians, and if they look at gobbling up the Christian states, they'll draw down the power of larger kingdoms upon them. A softly-softly approach would probably be better.

As an aside, the brother of Andronikos II was called Constantine, so I'm unsure who this Andronikos III character is. Surely not the Emperor's grandson, a little boy born in 1297?

Andronikos II died just Three years later a sucessful Emperor and was suceeded by his brother. Andronikos III began numerous campaigns in Greece trying to obtain a significant power base for the Byzantines again. Walter VI of Brienne, the duke of Athens desperatly tried to hold off the Byzantine onslaught, eventually hiring the Catalan Company to help him, the Reversed the sucess of the Byzantine Campaign, but at a cost, Walter VI was soon overthrown by the company and he barely escaped with his life, Ironically enough he fled to constantinople for protection and sold his title of Duke of Athens to the emperor and lived the rest of his life in the country. Back in Greece the Catalans were besieging Corinth, if it fell the Catalans would be in a position to take over Morea a deathblow to the Empire. A desperate Adronikos asked the other balkan nations, and even pleaded with the Pope for help. The Balkan nations didn't want the Byzantines to gain too much power, so they declined to help, but the pope decided this could be the chance for Reunification and agreed to help on the condition a council in Constantinople would be held discussing the Reunification of the Church.
This sounds much better and more plausible from what I know of contemporary politics, though I'm unsure whether the Papacy would want any Council taking place on "enemy soil", as it were. I think it's more likely that Byzantine legates would be ordered West.

A single document managed to prevent the Catalans from taking Morea. It stated from the pope, if any of them crosed into Morea they would be excommunicated, the Catalan company fell apart and Athens quickly became under byzantine Influence. Thessalay soon followed and by the 1339th Year of our lord became Byzantine as well, The Empire now was connected again and the Byzantines could move freely between thier Empire. A year later, the Fifth Council of Constantinople was held. It worked out a deal for the reunification of the Church. First it determined that the Nicean Creed would be adopted as its universal creed. Second if something were to be added or removed, it would require the approval of all 5 Patriarchs, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, Constantinople, and Rome and it would beed to be approved by the Eccenumical Council which would be permenantly held in Rome from this point further and run by the Pope. Each Patriarch would be in charge of running the church in certain areas. The Pope (the patriarch of rome) Would run church in Western Europe, The Patriarch of Constantinople would run the Church of Eastern Europe, the Patriarch of Alexandria would run the church in Africa, the Patriarch of Jerusalem would run the church in the Holy Land, and the Patriarch of Antioch would run the Church of the Remainder of Asia. Mass would be held in local Languages, but prayers themselves would be said in Latin or Greek. After about 250 years of Seperation the Church would be united once more. With the Church United, Western European Countries were much more open to Byzantium and new trade was established. New ideas were spread Europes Rennisance had began. In the 1354th Year of our Lord, Adronikos III died and his son John V succeded him as emperor.
This, I think, is unlikely. The Papacy is, at a stroke, giving away much of its accumulated power for little real gain. I can't see a succesful compromise doctrine being worked out at this late stage- there is too much mutual antagonism after 1204 for it to work. The Popes may take up a rather more pro-Byzantine position in exchange for vague guarantees by the Emperor, but I can't see any doctrinal compromise going too much further than that.

Overall, I think it's quite a promising start- I always love a new Byzantine TL, after all- but I think you may need to go away and do a little more research. Also, I recommend reading your updates before you post: there are several issues of spelling and grammar here which I always find rather detracts from otherwise good TLs.

I will never be tired of Byzantine TL. ;)

The renification of the Churches is very interesting but when you talking of use of Nicean Creed means the term Filioque remained or was abolished
(pratically the reunificated church used the western adapted creed or the original oriental creed)?:confused:

Surely not the Emperor's grandson, a little boy born in 1297?

Oh dear i guess he is..............But he would still become emperor at 30 about, would that be unreasonable?

Also as far as im aware, the pope wouldn't really be giving much up at all, He may have claimed to be universal leader of the church but never was

Also as far as im aware, the pope wouldn't really be giving much up at all, He may have claimed to be universal leader of the church but never was

Well, no, but that doesn't mean the Papacy will cheerily abandon the pretence. I see a submission to Papal authority as being absolutely essential to a post-1204 Church reunion.

It's always good to see another Byzantine TL! Nice work! :)

hmmm maybe the pope is universal leader, and the patriarchs just help him run the church in their respective areas
You must be able to convince the Patriarch of Constantinople and the people. I remember reading in Steven Runciman's book 'The Fall of Constantinople' that the people prefered the turban of the Sultan than the Papal crown and there was much opposition to the Reunification.

Revised Version

Chapter 1:1261 AD-1354 AD

Micheal Palaiologoi retoke Contstantinople from the Latins in the 1261st Year of our Lord, recreating the Byzantine Empire. His Empire was a mere shadow of itself, but had a chance for survival. This was threatened by the growing power of Islamic Anatolian Emirates, notably the Ottomans led by Osman.

Andronikos II Palaiologos the son of Micheal, is credited for the Ottoman defeat and the survival of the Byzantines. It was however the decisive thinking of his General George Mouzalon. In the 1302nd Year of our Lord, the Infidel Ottomans invaded Byzantine Bithynia. George Mouzalon the local commander of the area, met the Ottomans at Bapheus. He quickly realized he was outnumbered 2 to 1 and ordered a retreat to Nicomedia. The overconfident Osman persued him and made camp outside of Nicomedia, waiting for a fight. However inside Nicomedia, the Byzantine Army, blostered by several hundred local milita, began preparing for a counter attack. George Mouzalon thought of a brilliant idea, the Byzantines overnight would leave the gates of the North Wall so the ottomans could easily come in and "take the city". Local milita would be stationed nearby. When the Ottomans came in, the Milita would retreat back towards the town center and the Ottomans would pursue them and funnel into the streets. Other Byzantine troops could move behind them, trap them, and slaughter them. The Plan worked exactly as intended and Osman's Army was crushed. Legend has it that Geore himself slay Osman in hand to hand fighting. When the battle was over, the northern quarter of Nicomedia suffered some damages, but the Byzantines won and kept the City. It was a time of celebration all over the Empire. It seemed the only sane christians who were not pleased with this Victory was the Catalan company, who seeked adventure, wealth, and conquest in Byzantium. Now thier help would not be needed. Andronikos II began expanding the Byzantine Army realizing its great value. Andronikos II soon launched a sucessful campaign into Mysia in the 1315th Year of our Lord. and retoke it from the Karesi Turks. Osman's son Orhan I tried to avenge his fathers defeat at Nicomedia, but he too was crushed and was chased by the Byzantines back to his capital at Sogut, which was burned and returned to Imperial rule in the 1324th year of our Lord. Andronikos III, the emperors Grandson had some sucess against Achea and brought it under Byzantine rule by the 1328th Year of our Lord.

Andronikos II died just Three years later a sucessful Emperor and was suceeded by his Grandson. Micheal IX his son, was a bad choice for the imperial throne and was skipped in the line of sucession. Andronikos III began numerous campaigns in Greece trying to obtain a significant power base for the Byzantines again. Walter VI of Brienne, the duke of Athens desperatly tried to hold off the Byzantine onslaught, supported by local orthodox christians who resented thier latin rulers. This eventually lead Walter VI hiring the Catalan Company to help him, this Reversed the sucess of the Byzantine Campaign, but at a cost, Walter VI was soon overthrown by the company and he barely escaped with his life, Ironically enough he fled to constantinople for protection and sold his title of Duke of Athens to the emperor and lived the rest of his life in the country. Back in Greece the Catalans were besieging Corinth, if it fell the Catalans would be in a position to take over Morea a deathblow to the Empire. A desperate Adronikos asked the other balkan nations, and even pleaded with the Pope for help. The Balkan nations didn't want the Byzantines to gain too much power, so they declined to help, but the pope decided this could be the chance for Reunification and agreed to help on the condition a council in Rome would be held discussing the Reunification of the Church. A single document managed to prevent the Catalans from taking Morea. It stated from the pope, if any of them crosed into Morea they would be excommunicated, the Catalan company fell apart and Athens quickly became under byzantine Influence. Thessalay soon followed and by the 1339th Year of our lord became Byzantine as well, The Empire now was connected again and the Byzantines could move freely between their own Empire again. A year later, the First Council of Avignon was held. It worked out a deal for the reunification of the Church. First it determined that the Nicean Creed made at the First Council of Nicea would be adopted as its universal creed with the domgma of Filioque from the Third Council of Toldeo added to it. Second if something were to be added or removed, it would require the approval of all 5 Patriarchs, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, Constantinople, and Rome and it would beed to be approved by the Eccenumical Council which would be permenantly held in Rome from this point further and run by the Pope. The Pope would be Princeps, First amoung equals in the church, effectively the supreme head of the Church, but each Patriarch would be in charge of running the church in certain areas. The Patriarch of Rome (the pope) Would run church in Western Europe, The Patriarch of Constantinople would run the Church of Eastern Europe, the Patriarch of Alexandria would run the church in Africa, the Patriarch of Jerusalem would run the church in the Holy Land, and the Patriarch of Antioch would run the Church of the Remainder of Asia. Mass would be held in local Languages, but prayers themselves would be said in Latin much to the dissent of eastern Bishops. The Crusader attacks on Byzantium and the recent Byzantine attacks on Cursader states would be mutualy forgiven. The Pope would also secretly give funds to the Emperor, and the emperor would "exert his influence" on the patriarch of Constnatinople to make sure Church reunification succedes. After about 250 years of Seperation the Church would be united once more. With the Church United, Western European Countries were much more open to Byzantium and new trade was established. New ideas were spread and the European Rennisance had began. In the 1354th Year of our Lord, Adronikos III died and his son John V succeded him as emperor.

Last edited:
Yes, now it is better clear ;)
In fact i don't understand why the Pope could accept the equality of role with the other patriarchs; i always loved the concept of "first among equals".

However you will excuse me but i renew the filioque question: i'm waiting for a response.

However you will excuse me but i renew the filioque question: i'm waiting for a response.

Since it was used in the western church, It will be included. The Western Church gained alot for the sake of the eastern church

I'll add it in

Since it was used in the western church, It will be included. The Western Church gained alot for the sake of the eastern church

I'll add it in

Thanks. So pratically the negotiations ended in a massive Papal victory: Princeps of the patriarchs, filioque recognized, use of latin in prayers, Rome as only seat of the Council... But i think Andronikos made a good job about the Ecumenical Council: for the pope now he will be more difficult to excommunicate any ruler ( i guess one or more patriarchs could pose a veto over an excommunication attempt), which now is also included the Eastern Emperor.

However, i don't think with a early renaissance the new unity of church endured very long... Instead of a Agostinian German Monk, who and where will blow up the powders? :D

There is going to be a earlier protestant reformation, however it might not be the same as we realize.

Also Around this time The Sultante of Rome and the Ilkhanate are about to collapse (ITTL i've spared them the ottomans which increased thier lifespain a few decades but they are doomed to collapse anyway). What Powers do you think could fill the void before Timur shows up? How sucessfull would they be and could this new turkish power pose a significant threat to byzantium?