A Land of Milk and Honey

Dec. 12, the White House, 2145
The President looked outside the stained glass windows of the Oval Office at the blustery snowfall descending upon Washington, a metaphor for the end of his tumultuous two terms in the White House. With everyone else either gone home or in the Residence, the President took this time to think about his legacy and what had transpired in this very room a quarter-century earlier. In just five weeks he would be leaving office a happy and contented man, anxious to return to private life after having been on the political frontlines for nearly four decades. The election outcome had not been to his liking, but there was little to be done. Oh sure, the media carped that he had been largely invisible during the campaign, but to him, the only thing that mattered was that the candidates had been perfectly happy with his level of involvement. Nor did he much care for the media’s carping about the historicity of the 40th president-to-be s election- he had never been one for identity politics, given his personal conviction and of course own tangled history with the media on that very subject. This day had been spent on the phone with foreign leaders, having held a transition meeting yesterday. All were wishing him a fond farewell, ahead of his final Summit of the Americas next week and preparing to leave Washington after long decades spent in the nation’s capital. The phone call to London had been a long one, as had the ones to Moscow, Ottawa and Delhi. Such was the price of diplomacy, and one he was happy to pay. In front of the fireplace, he leaned back into the leather chair, closed his eyes and thought back to that fateful day, when he had decided to... detente was the wrong word, given later events. Not a compromise, because his feelings had never changed one iota. A truce, Yeah, that’s it.

Washington-DC-White-House-Winter.JPG

“The Great Society is a place where every child can find knowledge to enrich his mind and to enlarge his talents. It is a place where the city of man serves not only the needs of the body and the demands of commerce but the desire for beauty and the hunger for community. It is a place where men are more concerned with the quality of their goals than the quantity of their goods.”
- President Lyndon B. Johnson’s commencement address at the University of Michigan, May 22, 1964

IH038520.jpg

Q: “What made the President decide to retain NSAM 273?”
A: “I explained to him that President Kennedy had seen this as part of an evolutionary process- the initial withdrawals were part of a transition.”
Q: “A transition to what, precisely?”
A: “A transition to South Vietnam fighting the war on their own, which was the plan all along. We intended to send those arms and equipment to enable them to fight both the insurgency and the NVA, though in 1963 the former, not the latter, was our primary concern. Then as later, Johnson was determined to ensure continuity. From a political standpoint, he knew that diverging from Kennedy’s Vietnam policy would signal a break in the continuity that the country so desperately craved at the time, given the national tragedy that had just occurred.”
Q: “Did you have any doubts about continuing to serve President Johnson in the new administration?”
A: “No, because I saw my role as serving the United States and more specifically, its government. I was not and have never been a political individual in the partisan sense- I was a lifelong Republican serving in a Democratic president’s Cabinet, then and later. I didn’t know Jack Kennedy until December 1960. All of us felt a duty to stay on and ensure continuity for the country’s sake, regardless of our personal feelings about the president.”
Q: “Speaking of personal feelings about the president, at the time there was much speculation that Robert Kennedy would take the opportunity to leave given the immense tragedy he had just suffered. Were you involved in that decision- did the president asked you to mediate with him on this subject?”
A: “No, that was his decision alone- a few of his more liberal friends wanted him to leave, but he put the national interest first.”
Q: “Only for a few months, until he left to run for the Senate.”
A: “Precisely.”

Robert McNamara interviewed by Walter Cronkite, Dec. 7, 1983
robert-mcnamara-070609-lg.jpg

Some have been asking me to leave- particularly AS & JKG + a few of the usual suspects who can’t stand LBJ. Neither can I but that’s irrelevant. Despite the immense tragedy of Jack’s death- something I will probably never fully get over- we have to carry on as he would have wished. I will stay on until the election & then bug out, either to the NY Senate or private life. The VP talk is an absurdity- but I am encouraging it to make the prick squirm as much as possible. After all, he’ll have to ask me, won’t he? The media won’t let it be otherwise- every damn press conference they’ll keep bringing it up & forced to give noncommittal answers. Then when the inevitable refusal comes they’ll make it look like he turned me down if I spin it right- which will deal another body blow & set things up properly for my launch. I am not doing this for personal reasons- though they do exist- so as to remind everyone that I am setting out on my own path in the party, independent of the WH & the assorted sycophants. Most of them are very nice people who go out of their way to be friendly to me, which is appreciated but I cannot stand sycophancy or sycophants. They are all afraid of him- just the other day George Reedy messed up on a minor point of staff work & got the short end of Johnson’s temper- banging the desk, yelling, getting in his face & terrorizing the living hell out of him. Ditto the other day- this time with Moyers or so the source tells me. These aren’t summer interns, but people who have worked for him for 10+ years. What a horrible human being if he can’t even treat these people with basic civility & decency. Heaven knows I’m no saint on temper either- but I don’t go that far with staff & if I did would apologize afterwards. I haven’t been sleeping since 11/22- at most 3-4 hours at night before I have to go out for a drive. Lost a few pounds as well- my appetite is much less than it usually is. After the last batch of work tomorrow I’m going to take a few days & try to clear my head a bit.
- RFK Diaries, Dec. 3, 1963

U1282387-5.jpg

Many within & without the party have been urging me to run again this year, but Johnson is unbeatable- Jack is now a martyr & the economy is roaring instead of an unofficial recession as CBO initially projected. I also would not have run had Jack lived, for I have no interest in a rerun of ’60- in fact that was why I ran for governor. I couldn’t give a damn about the governorship- I did it to get the media off my back & to get some executive experience, no other reason. Johnson will win in a landslide, no doubt about it. Rocky’s child means that he will not get the nomination, though I cannot believe he would be so stupid so as to fatally compromise his national stature in such a manner. Barry’s a good man but he’ll lose badly to Johnson. The New Deal is well within recent memory- everyone over 40 remembers it & those under 30 have known nothing but the post-New Deal era which is now deeply ingrained in the nation’s collective psyche. A pity but such are the political realities under which we now operate. Some have suggested that LBJ will ask Bobby to be his VP- which is patently absurd given how much they despise each other. I also suspect he’s encouraging this to twist the knife in- he’s always been a mean little SOB, even if here I sympathize with him, not his target. Besides, he’s far too talented & young to be attending funerals & presiding over the Senate every couple of weeks- since LBJ would quarantine him in the NO & never let him see the light of day except Cabinet & NSC meetings. This year will be a wash for us but there is always ’66 & ’68 to look forward to down the road. I will make 2 predictions: that HHH will be VP & that the next NY Senator will be Bobby.

- Nixon Diaries, Jan. 2, 1964
BE025398.jpg

Whichever one it was, this is the POD. Basically Johnson decides to continue JFK's policy in Vietnam which was one of gradual withdrawal. Bobby decides to make a truce with LBJ, which is also a bid POD.

Perhaps the former is meant to justify the latter?

Just to remind everyone: at this point the feud was 90% personal, only about 10% political. This decision has much less to do with 'Nam than it has to do with disengaging to focus on personal matters, for now. The personal part is still perfectly intact.

Just to remind everyone: at this point the feud was 90% personal, only about 10% political. This decision has much less to do with 'Nam than it has to do with disengaging to focus on personal matters, for now. The personal part is still perfectly intact.

Looks good so far.

“I will be a candidate for the United States Senate this year. California needs the most effective representation possible, and with Sen. Engle’s impending retirement I will re-enter the political arena to serve the people of California in the best way I know how: through public service. Are there any questions?” “Mr. Vice President, do you have any plans to run for President in the future?” “I have said repeatedly, and this announcement proves, that I am not a candidate for president this year, nor do I have any plans to become one in the future. However I am not going to leave public life, but remain actively engaged in the political process.”
- Richard Nixon’s press conference of Feb. 3

nixon.jpg

Something very unusual going on in Texas that I thought is worth mentioning- a split between the conservative and liberal Democrats over Yarborough’s candidacy. Liberals still want him as their senator but the conservatives disagree for obvious reasons. Rumour has it that Connally is encouraging this against LBJ’s wishes- he despises Yarborough & will do anything to get rid of him. This will help us if we want to repeat Tower’s success back in ’61 & establish a Southern foothold for the first time since Reconstruction- & I am in contact with George Bush in Harris County who will be running for that seat- last him last year when I went to Dallas on personal business. I advised him to run as a conservative but not to overdo it- after all, Texas is still strongly Democratic. As Bush knows, the Republicans are only now starting to end the century-long charade of two parties hiding behind the threadbare skirts of one. Rumour has it that [REDACTED] will be a candidate again which will be an immense help to him. I have no idea who Engle’s replacement will be, but you can bet PB will pull a rabbit out of the hat. Already the media has gone nuts about my announcement but I am ignoring them as usual, since there is much work to be done in the South. Meanwhile the Dems are still quite anxious as to who the VP will be, as if there is any doubt that it will be Hubert. Experience, ideological sync and regional balance- the traditional balance is completely fulfilled by picking him even if the media chooses to ignore it as they always do. Yesterday I got a phone call from Rocky asking if he could have my silent endorsement- said that I would not endorse but would keep in touch. Rockefeller is too liberal for the base, Goldwater too conservative for the country as it currently stands.
- Nixon Diaries, Feb. 25

BE025873.jpg

A long day with the boss today- meeting with Pearson, a two-day working visit that was scheduled for JFK but the boss retained because he won’t be able to visit Canada till May at the earliest after the CRA gets enacted into law. Right now the major political worry is neither Rocky nor Barry, but rather the situation down in Texas. There is a strong likelihood that there will be more than one Democrat on the ballot which is entirely due to Connally’s chicanery & the boss is furious because of it. Connally denies all involvement but the last thing he wants is both TX Senate seats in GOP hands, above all for the PR value. Everything else is solid Democratic but I believe what happened in ’62 is the trigger of a process that began back in ’44- the fiction of a single Democratic Party which in fact contains a sizeable Republican Party within it for convenience’s sake. There will probably have to be another trigger, quite possibly the CRA which will likely throw the South to the GOP for a generation, perhaps more. For now both parties have “betrayed” them & now they are free to follow their ideological inclinations without any remaining loyalty. The boss doesn’t fully share his analysis. If that last session with Kennedy made his blood boil, the election of a second GOP TX Senator will send him off the wall. I must remember to take Nov. 3 off for precisely that reason. The meeting with Pearson went well, even if the boss initially called him “Mr. Wilson” for some weird reason. He had an excellent personal relationship with JFK, which I don’t think can be replicated but a good working relationship can at least be established. The UK is also overdue for an election but ADH is going to postpone it to the last possible moment in order to try & salvage things. After 13 years of Tories & them being in power for most of the interwar era it might well be time for a change, generational if nothing else.
- Diary of Walter Jenkins, Mar. 4

50562613.jpg

In recent weeks I have been distributing Goldwater pamphlets on behalf of the College GOP- my first involvement in active politics. While my more liberal friends now see me as some kind of freak I don’t see it that way at all. I see it as retaking the GOP for the conservative wing, not the milk-and-honey compromisers who want us to be pale shadows of the Dems, people like Rocky et al. They’ve had 25 years at the totem pole and without Ike they have lost each & every time & yet for some reason still act like they have some sort of divine right to rule the party. If there has ever been a time for us to take charge it is now- when the unending torrent of statist legislation (excepting the CRA, which is long overdue by about a century) is being rammed through Congress with nary a peep from the Congressional GOP. Obviously the votes to defeat don’t exist but the case could at least be made to the country. We also need a better spokesman than Sen. Goldwater, who is a good man but is caricatured throughout the country as some sort of dumb kook when nothing could be further from the truth. It isn’t exactly like LBJ is some shining intellectual either & not just Texan stereotypes. All the Republicans here are pro-Rocky, which given that this is the East Coast elites we are talking about, after all. They wouldn’t know a true conservative principle if it whacked them upside the head in broad daylight. That’s who the EE has been ignoring all these years- those of us who consider ourselves conservatives first & Republicans second. I count myself among this group along with a couple of friends. The only one of the current bunch I could support without holding my nose is Nixon. One thing is for certain- I’m not staying in the East after university. Don’t know where I’ll go but it sure as hell won’t be on the East Coast.

Mar. 27

Engle has died a bit earlier than expected & I am only mildly surprised at who Pat Brown appointed to replace him: Pierre Salinger. Absolutely no qualification other than being the brothers’ crony but that is apparently enough for LBJ. I highly suspect that this is another “peace offering” from Johnson to Bobby, given that the media has been somewhat silent on that front for a few weeks now. Silence in this case means more than words, but he’s going to stay until the CRA is passed & then resign in my opinion. He’s sure as hell not working for LBJ & will probably want to run for POTUS in ’72, which means a Senate run. He’s not the sort of man to enjoy the legislative process to say the least, but it will be a means to an end of winning the WH. At least it will be nice to have a younger perspective, since the brothers will be the youngest senators. Plus he would add some energy around there which is almost entirely lacking on Capitol Hill except for the old windbags who talk for hours about nothing in tones that are more appropriate to the Gettysburg Address or Lincoln’s second inaugural than the nonsense it actually is. I met with Rocky again- he’s splitting the primaries fairly evenly with Barry but CA will be the final showdown. What should really be disturbing the Dems is that Wallace is on track to defeat Welsh, a sitting governor in his own state with a Daley-like machine, in the Indiana primary. More news from Texas: the announcement will be coming after the Dem primary so as to avoid charges of a sore loser, which makes that whole process even more interesting than it already is in a Chinese sense. Now that we’re back in CA the fundraising is going quite well. I think someone who should be advising the next GOP governor would be Rafferty, who is quite sound on educational policy. Hell, I’d make him my domestic policy advisor on education if I was elected POTUS. At next month's end the UK will find out whether to stay the course or change course.

- Nixon Diaries, Apr. 30

2966573219_ab6d37150a.jpg

So what does all this have to do with the President 150 years from now. ?Shouldn't this be in Future History??

As someone has already pointed out, "2145" refers to the time and not the year.

2145 is quarter to ten at night on a 24 hour/military clock.