WI: A world without nationalism as a political movement?

Would it be possible for a modern world to arise where it was not how a people defined themselves that determined states, but whose sword arm was more powerful?

We would have more States with mixed ethnicity and religion. The State would probably be weaker, since there is little identification with the State, and thus not much loyalty. People would probably not care very much which State they belong to.

We would have more States with mixed ethnicity and religion. The State would probably be weaker, since there is little identification with the State, and thus not much loyalty. People would probably not care very much which State they belong to.

I could very easily see a world without the Enlightenment heading down this path.

And since States would not have a loyal population they would not build much infrastructure, instead invest in an armed force to hold their population in check.

Religion would probably play a large role, since people need to identify themselves as something.

And since States would not have a loyal population they would not build much infrastructure, instead invest in an armed force to hold their population in check.

Religion would probably play a large role, since people need to identify themselves as something.

Exactly. Before the rise of nationalism confession was a bigger unifier.

A lot of empires end up sticking around.

Yeah. Shame about Wilson and balkanizing Eastern Europe. :rolleyes:

means the Great Osman, Great Bismarck, Great Austrian Man, Great Russia, the Great Limey, and all the Great personalities shall be pleased :D

Except Bismark, no German unification.

Hmm... this could actually means no French Revolution, since it happened due to a french bourgeois proto- nationalism, which would mean SURVIVING HRE!!!!

Except Bismark, no German unification.

Hmm... this could actually means no French Revolution, since it happened due to a french bourgeois proto- nationalism, which would mean SURVIVING HRE!!!!

Again, a world without the combination of the ideas of the Enlightenment as well as the rising power of the bourgeois in France will result in no French Revolution like in OTL.

SavoyTruffle, prepare for death threats from Susano... :D

Seriously, though, I suspect there will be more geographic/cultural/religious based ideologies instead.

Rome didn't really have nationalism, although they did have the Romanitas cultural package, and they built infrastructure.

One can be just as loyal to a dynasty or a geographic region as one can be to an ethnicity, so building a medieval police state rather than roads isn't necessary.

Ah, but a nation doesn't necessary have to correspond with a ethnic group. There's no Swiss ethnicity, but there's a Swiss nation and Swiss nationalism. There could well have been Habsburg nationalism or Ottoman nationalism. It would still be nationalism, and that's what we want to avoid.

archaeogeek

Banned
Rome didn't really have nationalism, although they did have the Romanitas cultural package, and they built infrastructure.

One can be just as loyal to a dynasty or a geographic region as one can be to an ethnicity, so building a medieval police state rather than roads isn't necessary.

"Inheritors of Rome" could and was also at times considered a "quasi nationalist" thing for a lot of regions which retained roman-inspired law (even those which adopted customary law systems). Plus you also have "tribal" identities, religious, dynastic, geographic, etc. The only problem with dynastic and religious is that unlike "tribal", "regional" and "successor of $empire", they would go away with any enlightenment.
(fixed)

Last edited:
"Inheritors of Rome" could and was also at times considered a "quasi nationalist" thing for a lot of regions which retained roman-inspired law (even those which adopted customary law systems). Plus you also have "tribal" identities, religious, dynastic, geographic, etc. The only problem with dynastic and religious is that "tribal" and "successor of $empire" would go away with any enlightenment.

I'm talking about the Roman Empire itself.

Why would the Enlightenment get rid of tribal and "successor of empire" identities?

Nationalism is considered something that came with the Enlightenment and it's basically tribalism writ very large.

The Enlightenment might impinge on religion, especially the more easily-disproven superstitious varieties thereof, but I don't see how it would destroy "tribal" and "successor" ideas.

archaeogeek

Banned
I'm talking about the Roman Empire itself.

Why would the Enlightenment get rid of tribal and "successor of empire" identities?

Nationalism is considered something that came with the Enlightenment and it's basically tribalism writ very large.

The Enlightenment might impinge on religion, especially the more easily-disproven superstitious varieties thereof, but I don't see how it would destroy "tribal" and "successor" ideas.

Er, that was me making a huge typo - i meant enlightenment would weaken religious and dynastic identity.