SCW: WI Franco's plane crashes?

As it says on the tin. What would happen if the plane taking Franco to Spanish Morroco had disappeared into the sea? Would Mola be able to unite the rebels? Would the Army of Africa be anywhere near the military and political force it was IOTL without the Caudillo?

For a double PoD, how would the conflict develop if Franco is removed, but Jose Sanjurjo travels back to Spain without incident?

It's something I've thought about ever since reading Beevor's Battle for Spain earlier this year. Ideas from those with more knowledge would be appreciated.

Well on the first PoD no idea who would command the rebels ... maybe Queipo de Llano or Mola ...

And in the second PoD, sorry Mr Turtledove but I don´t think Sanjurjo is retarded enough to declare war on France AND Britain while the SCW is still running ...

As it says on the tin. What would happen if the plane taking Franco to Spanish Morroco had disappeared into the sea? Would Mola be able to unite the rebels? Would the Army of Africa be anywhere near the military and political force it was IOTL without the Caudillo?

Either Queipo de Llano or Mola would take over as the rebel leader. This could have very bad consequences in the short term -as without Franco screwing around the war could be over by 1937, giving the Nationals two extra years to massacre the opposition.

Should Mola take over, Spain would continue to be a Republic with the tricolor flag, but become a very repressive military dictature with fascist trappings. Whether Mola would be insane enough to throw his lot with the Axis in WWII; or if the military would allow a limited democratization in the 40's, no one knows. Either way, a Molaist Spain could end like a really screwed up place, an European Myanmar.

Should Queipo replace Franco; after the initial years of repression, Spain could have become a constitutional monarchy with a limited democracy -that's what he argued Franco should do after the end of WWII, and got him ostracized. Then again, we're talking about a man who boasted in his propaganda broadcasts about how his men were mass raping republican women and how that was AWESOME; so maybe he'd reinstate democracy after he was sure that no "subversive" elements remained.

Either way, and barring the dystopian possibility of Spain going even more isolated and repressive after WWII, there's the slim chance that democracy would return to Spain a few decades ahead of schedule: Franco's conviction was that the only way to save Spain from what he saw as its "inner demons" was to never stand down from power and to continue ruling with complete control until his death, and after making sure his successor would continue his work. Other rebel leaders, on the other hand, saw their regime as only a temporary measure to restore order.

And in the second PoD, sorry Mr Turtledove but I don´t think Sanjurjo is retarded enough to declare war on France AND Britain while the SCW is still running ...
HT did that? Good Lord above.

Either Queipo de Llano or Mola would take over as the rebel leader. This could have very bad consequences in the short term -as without Franco screwing around the war could be over by 1937, giving the Nationals two extra years to massacre the opposition.
I was hoping this would attract your attention, Doctor. It was re-reading your magnificent NSCW that led me to find a copy of Beevor in my local library. :)

Does this mean neither Quiepo nor Mola would be quite so transfixed by Madrid, or are you referring to other aspects of the war?

Should Mola take over, Spain would continue to be a Republic with the tricolor flag, but become a very repressive military dictature with fascist trappings. Whether Mola would be insane enough to throw his lot with the Axis in WWII; or if the military would allow a limited democratization in the 40's, no one knows. Either way, a Molaist Spain could end like a really screwed up place, an European Myanmar.

Should Queipo replace Franco; after the initial years of repression, Spain could have become a constitutional monarchy with a limited democracy -that's what he argued Franco should do after the end of WWII, and got him ostracized. Then again, we're talking about a man who boasted in his propaganda broadcasts about how his men were mass raping republican women and how that was AWESOME; so maybe he'd reinstate democracy after he was sure that no "subversive" elements remained.

So, problems abound whoever takes charge. Dark times for Spain.

I was hoping this would attract your attention, Doctor. It was re-reading your magnificent NSCW that led me to find a copy of Beevor in my local library. :)`

Aw, thank you. :eek: I've wanted to read that book for ages, but the spanish hardback edition is insanely expensive and the damn editors won't release it on paperback...
Does this mean neither Quiepo nor Mola would be quite so transfixed by Madrid, or are you referring to other aspects of the war?

Actually, I mean that they would have probably pushed for Madrid in 1936 instead of screwing around in Toledo like Franco did, which gave them a real chance of taking the capital before the defense was ready.

So, problems abound whoever takes charge. Dark times for Spain.

Well, the main reason I decided to avoid the Civil War altogether was that, after some point, no matter who won, Spain would lose.

Anyone see the Carlist heir to the Spanish throne getting his hands on the crown? From what I've seen/read about the Spanish Civil War, the Carlists had a pretty soild support base and are very long-lasting movement, which would appeal to a backward looking junta...

Anyone see the Carlist heir to the Spanish throne getting his hands on the crown? From what I've seen/read about the Spanish Civil War, the Carlists had a pretty soild support base and are very long-lasting movement, which would appeal to a backward looking junta...

No, because the carlist militias only enjoyed widespread support in Navarra, and their alliance with the rebels was a convenience one. No one of the military leaders cared about carlism anymore than as a way to ensure Navarra's allegiance in the early weeks of the war. Mola wanted to keep a Republican form of government, and those who wanted a monarchy would have preferred the legitimate Bourbon branch.

Anyway, the last legitimate carlist claimant died in September 1936. Even if we butterfly his death away (he was run over by a truck while crossing a street in Vienna!), he was almost 80 years old and had no heirs. Upon his death his heir to the carlist claims was... his cousin Alfonso XIII, the legitimate Bourbon king.