Requesting help making a flag: Empire of California

More-or-less what is says on the tin: I need help coming up with a flag for the Empire of California, which consists of the modern-day states of California and Nevada, was founded in 1859, and the story itself that this flag is being desinged for takes place in 1901.

Below is a timeline, but in brief: California started as an oligarchy ruled by various dons, who bough the land from Mexico. It was rife with internal problems until civil war finally broke out in 1855, which ran through 1858. A fillibuster named Joshua Norton (yes, that one) entered California during its civil war and proclaimed himself Emperor. As it turns out, he was quite the commander, and California soon became ruled by him.

Over the next forty years or so, California became a fair regional power in the US. Its first major overseas venture was helping restore the Hawai'ian Monarchy in 1893. It fought against Spain with the USA in 1898, gaining the Philippines for the effort (the USA gained Cuba and Puerto Rico). It also has imperial interestsin China in 1901, being one of the Nine Nations that helped put down the Boxer Rebellion.

Given that I borrowed (stole) the nation's founding from The Mask of Zoro and then eventually made Custer the Emperor of California, a silly hat must be worn while reading and contributing to this thread. Or at least, if not silly, no serious hats. Although, nevertheless, I'd like a serious attempt at making a good flag. But I have no clue where to start, other than the flag of Mexico and the Bear Flag as a basis. Help?

Anyway. Timeline below.

- 1841 (POD): A number of Mexican dons buy California and Nevada from Mexico (using a gold mine found in California but kept secret), looking to establish their own independent Republic. Well, they call it a Republic. In actuality it's an oligarchy that they control with a heavy hand. Rebellions against their rule are common, but at this point disorganized. California also still heavily depends upon Mexico for trade and defense, and the dons fight amongst each other constantly.

- 1846-1850: Mexican-American War. In this timeline, the Mexicans are able to fight much harder and more effectively (in part thanks to increased coffers from the sale of California and Nevada). The United States still wins (and annexes Texas), but Mexico retains control of Arizona and New Mexico initially, though the USA later buys New Mexico.

- 1848-1855: California gold rush. The internal problems in California swell dramatically as immigrants from America and Mexico flood California.

- 1855-58: Californian Civil War. A certain man named Joshua Norton, who had earlier emmigrated to America, enters California and unites the various rebel factions under him.

- 1859: Following the civil war, Norton proclaims himself Emperor Norton I of California, but his authority is not recognized by either America or Mexico (though inside of Californa he is well-liked). This is our second POD - Joshua Norton is an extremely skilled soldier and fillibuster, as opposed to OTL's crazy "Emperor of These United States and Protector of Mexico."

- 1861-65: American civil war. Occurs more-or-less as is OTL. However, Abraham Lincoln is saved from assassination by a Californian citizen in attendence to the play he was seeing. In gratitude, the government of the USA recognizes the Empire of California, and further international recognition follows.

- 1867: George Armstrong Custer emmigrates to California and becomes an important political figure, eventually becoming Secretary of War, leading to...

- 1880: Emperor Norton I dies without heir. After a brief crisis, his Secratary of War takes the throne as Emperor Custer I.

- 1893: Hawai'ian War. Revolutionaries in Hawai'i overthrow the monarchy, but California come to Queen Lili'uokolani's aid and restores the monarchy in short order. This is California's first major military venture, apart from border skirmishes with the US and Mexico.

- 1898: Spanish-Americas War. America gains Cuba and Puerto Rico; California gains the Philippines

- 1898-1900: The Boxer Rebellion in China, suppressed by the Nine-Nation Alliance (one nation of which is California).

Here's a design reflecting the many hours of sun per year in California and Nevada, flanked left by blue to represent the sea along the empire's long coastline and flanked right by green to represent the many verdant areas that exist within the empire. Of course, some suggest that the use of the sun symbol alludes to the Emperor Norton's frequent comparisons of himself to the the Sun King (French King Louis XIV).

[No 'royalist' symbols? No, how many of OTL's monarchies have/had such symbols on their national flags? Plus, I believe that effective flags are those which are kept as simple as possible]

calif_empire.png

The bear flag is a good start, just you don't need to have the bear as necessarily the main part. Let me just knock something together in paint.

EDIT: Crude and unfinished but this sort of thing.

CaliEmpire.png

Last edited:
Here's a design reflecting the many hours of sun per year in California and Nevada, flanked left by blue to represent the sea along the empire's long coastline and flanked right by green to represent the many verdant areas that exist within the empire. Of course, some suggest that the use of the sun symbol alludes to the Emperor Norton's frequent comparisons of himself to the the Sun King (French King Louis XIV).

[No 'royalist' symbols? No, how many of OTL's monarchies have/had such symbols on their national flags? Plus, I believe that effective flags are those which are kept as simple as possible]

Hmm, I like that, though I may mess with the particular shades of red, green, and blue - the flag's kind of technicolor right now.

EDIT: Crude and unfinished but this sort of thing.

Hmm, I like this one too...

---

This is what I've come up with so far: green, whte, and red as a reference to Mexico, a star because stars look nice on flags, and the OTL coat-of-arms for San Francisco.

The words the bird is holding are "Oro en paz, ferro en guerra" - gold in peace, iron in war.

Let's see if we can't combine these three ideas into something...

Empire%20of%20California.PNG