A Failed Experiment at Daventry

DAVENTRY, ENGLAND, 26 FEBRUARY 1935

Henry Tizard, chairman of Britain's Committee for the Scientific Survey of Air Defense, was furious. He had been contacted by Robert Watson-Watt, an eminent physicist, regarding his proposal to use reflected radio waves to detect aircraft from beyond visual range. The proposal had sounded interesting, and so, he had re-arranged his schedule to come here to Daventry to view a demonstration of the system. But the damned thing didn't work!

Tizard had charlatans and crackpots of all stripes coming to him for funding all the time, promising that their inventions would save the United Kingdom from the bomber threat. He had a generally open mind, but he was beginning to get a bit jaded.

"I'm...I'm not sure what is going on, Mr. Tizard," Watson-Watt stammered. "It was working earlier this morning."

Yes, that's what they all say, Tizard thought to himself, frowning. But he'd give the man one more chance. After all, Watson-Watt had a good reputation in his field. It's not like he was one of the usual run of charlatans with which he often dealt.

"All right, then," Tizard said. "I have an hour before I have to leave to return to London. See what you can do to fix it, and if you can do this in the next hour, I will stay to watch another demonstration."

"Oh, thank you, Sir," Watson-Watts exclaimed gratefully. He and his assistants set to work, disassembling the apparatus and examining everything, looking for any hint of a problem. Tizard excused himself, stepped outside, and lit a cigar. Yes, he's a reliable sort, he thought to himself. He deserves another chance.

An hour came and went. A phone call was made to the airfield where the target aircraft awaited. A phone call was received back a few minutes later stating the target aircraft was airborne. Watson-Watts turned on the apparatus, and Tizard watched a green glow come over the screen as the vacuum tubes heated up.

"Bloody Hell!," Watson-Watts exclaimed. Then, looking quickly at Tizard, he said, "Pardon me, Sir. I am at a loss. The system still doesn't work, I'm afraid." He got up from his chair, and turned to face Tizard. "But I am sure I can make it work. You read my paper, Sir. You know it's a valid idea. With a little support..."

Tizard shook his head. "Look here, man!," he growled. "You DO realize that the country is in the midst of a Depression! The government can't afford to fund every project that comes along." He looked at Watson-Watts sadly. "Too bad. I had great hopes for your system, you know. Just too bad it doesn't work."

***​

Excerpt from A HISTORY OF ELECTRONIC WARFARE, by Robert Leckie. New York: Harper and Row, 1977.​

The failure of the 1935 demonstration of the first prototype RADAR system, constructed by Sir Robert Watson-Watts, would have profound consequences for the conduct of the Second World War, which would break out just four years later. Sir Henry Tizard, Chairman of the British Government's Committee for the Scientific Survey of Air Defense, was forced to side with critics of the RADAR system such as Frederick Lindemann, and vital funding was withheld from the project. The experience also soured Tizard on the idea itself, and support was also withheld from other researchers pursuing similar ideas.​

Watson-Watts continued his research without government support, and was finally able to demonstrate a RADAR system which consistently performed to expectations in September 1940. By that time, Britain was in the midst of a struggle for its very existence, as Luftwaffe bombers ranged at will over the island, meeting with only moderately effective resistance by the Royal Air Force.

***​

So, what are the effects of Britain having no radar system in place during the Battle of Britain? Can the Luftwaffe take control of the air over Britain? If so, does Sealion become possible?​

This is a nice topic, really.

No, I think it was a matter of everyone knowing that it should work. So, it was not as much a matter of science as a matter of engineering.

It could have set it back by some time, a few years at the most.

Now, let us then look at what could then happen.

Watson-Watts gets another chance in winter 1937/8. It goes well, but there are problems with the engineering of it.

The money is used for bomber aircraft as that seems to be the priority.

Dowding is not popular and him figthing for fighters is perceived as not necessary (remember, RAF was convinced the only thing they had to do was to bomb a bit of Germany and the population would riot -> Doherty).

So Dowding also wanting some expensive toy? not on.

Finally after Munich, sanity strts to prevail.

Dowding gets some money, but the ral quest is then to get the organisation to work, not just the radar as the tool box.

The radar in itself is only a par tof the solution, not the entire solution.

Suddenly, Dowding has no time to do trial-and-error and any sophisticated planning.

LW is falling on Britain as BoB TL anbd then what?

1) LW is equal to RAF and it is a stalemate 2) LW is superior, bombing first the airfields and then factories
3) LW difficulties will stil show up - no heavy bomber, no drop tanks on ME109, no new models introduced, etc etc

We could combine it with something better:

1) LW has its first generation jet ready
2) Heavy bombers are available
3) Full understanding of the (few) radar towers
4) ....

In my opinion, I am not sure how much of a difference it really would make. LW was not prepared for BoB in the classical sense.

Ivan