How To Spread The Potato

EDIT: Damn,I just thought now that "How To Spread The Spud" would have been a alot more catchier title.

As in my efforts to think of different scenarios for the rise of a civilization in the Williamette Valley as apart of my https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=137328 Land of Salmon and Totems TL I have found that only two sources for starting a major agricultural plot could be undertaken in analogue to other cultural and civilization trends. These being the Camas and the Potato.

Though the Camas I am not too sure could be 'Cultivated', generally because I am sketchy of its nutritional capabilities, no major civilizations grew around Camas before, and it was mainly the foodstuffs of the nomadic Plateau Indians east of the Pacific North West. Therefore we have the Potato that revolutionizing spud to turn to.

Now I have thought of two ways already.

One which would benefit for my TL and thoughts on generally making agricultral civilizations anywhere along the Pacific Coast would be that the Potato from its homeisland in the southern Andes (though their are at least three native potato species in Mexico and the Texas area: Solanum fendleri, Solanum bulbocastanum , and another but I have not seen any use of these for eating persay and I want to focus on this for the famous potato) or later when it spreads throughout the Andes for it to fall into the ocean andlet currents takeit northward, or a miratory bird eats a potato and heads northward and plants the seeds so to speak somewhere up north.

The other being old Tupac Inca instead of heading out to sea heads up the Pacific Coastline (which actually could result in the Mesoamerican and Andes civilizations meet). Bringing the plant and from their it spreads on its own.

Though the latter scenario is too late for my ideal POD, and I feel the former is possible but I would like any other ideas.

Though a interesting last idea would be oh say...sometime during the 600s or 700s when in OTL we see a migration of peoples from the Andes northward. One of these peoples the P'urhepecha go on to found the powerful Tarascan state in Mexico, and suggesting heavily that they came over by sea. Though what if another group or a subgroup of the P'urpecha go further up the Pacific Coastline. Bringing with them not only the Potato (the Tarascans in atl would bring the Potato to Mexico too) but also all that knowledge of astronomy and metal culture as well as a route for apossible sea trade thing along the western coast?

Well the problem is that I think you'd need a preexisting settled population for the Mesoamericans to trade with even if the potato is spread to Mexico. Otherwise they're just going to sail up the pacific coast, see there is bugger all profit to made and sail home, not stay and impart the secrets of metalwork an agriculture.

If you want a alt-history scenario, you should go all Land of Red and Gold and remember that Solanum fendleri grew as far north as Texas without human intervention. Just have you PoD being some new species evolving and growing further north that are analogs of their Southern cousins in Chile, and have those be domesticated.

Perhaps you can get the Nazca to do some exploration and spread the potato up the Pacific coast. Extra point, spread llamas and alpaca.

There were ocean going balsa rafts on the Pacific Coast of South America. One of those blown north with potatoes on board as provision might, theoretically, do the trick.

Edit. Although there might not have BEEN potatoes on that raft, now that I think about it. Potatoes were highland food, rafts are obviously lowland culture. Did the lowlanders grow/use potatoes?

Last edited:
There were ocean going balsa rafts on the Pacific Coast of South America. One of those blown north with potatoes on board as provision might, theoretically, do the trick.

Edit. Although there might not have BEEN potatoes on that raft, now that I think about it. Potatoes were highland food, rafts are obviously lowland culture. Did the lowlanders grow/use potatoes?

The lowlanders probably grew sweet potatoes as they are more suitable for warmer climates. There is a hypothesis about a possible Pre-Columbian exchange between Polynesia and South America that resulted in sweet potatoes being established as a staple food source in many Polynesian cultures.

If the raft builders did indeed carry potatoes, they may have used the Andean method of preparing potatoes for long term storage (flattening and drying in the sun), which would not result in viable potatoes. Even if they did transport viable potatoes, many Andean potatoes are day length sensitive and would not crop at lower latitudes. A slower route of transmission over land would allow the potato enough time to adapt to different day lengths.

Spreading Potato...

Boil peeled potatoes, mash with milk and a cube of butter, then spread on desired surface with spatula.

Simples! <squeak>

The lowlanders probably grew sweet potatoes as they are more suitable for warmer climates. There is a hypothesis about a possible Pre-Columbian exchange between Polynesia and South America that resulted in sweet potatoes being established as a staple food source in many Polynesian cultures.

If the raft builders did indeed carry potatoes, they may have used the Andean method of preparing potatoes for long term storage (flattening and drying in the sun), which would not result in viable potatoes. Even if they did transport viable potatoes, many Andean potatoes are day length sensitive and would not crop at lower latitudes. A slower route of transmission over land would allow the potato enough time to adapt to different day lengths.

Interesting. Do you know if it was a hard job to transfer potatoes to Europa? I understand that transferring crops can take a lot of time/effort, decades sometimes

Valdemar II

Banned
Interesting. Do you know if it was a hard job to transfer potatoes to Europa? I understand that transferring crops can take a lot of time/effort, decades sometimes

The tranfer was accidental, but it was possible bewcause European vessel travel a lot faster. Spain and Netherlands already used the potato in the late 16th century, but it took a century more to come in common use in Germany and a century more to go to rest of northen Europe, of course we do see it used as animal feed a little earlier. While it seem weird that potatoes took so long time to spread, it's not unusual spreading pattern. Unless the peasantry are very poor or very rich they don't adopt new agricultural methods.

The people who took the potato back to Europe did it with the intention of growing them (most likely as a novelty, but they may have thought about the potential uses) so they would have chosen viable tubers or seed. I don't know if there were any problems with the difference in day length though. Potatoes, like their close relatives tomatoes, were initially mistrusted and thought of as poisonous, so it took a bit of time before either was adopted as a food source. Potatoes also had to supplant the traditional root crops (turnips, rutabagas, parsnips etc) before they could become popular

How far north (or south) can the original potato grow?

Highest latitudes for open-air potato growth?

Lowest temperatures and least frost free days?

Any advice on this?

I think it's pretty clearly established by now.

If the raft builders did indeed carry potatoes, they may have used the Andean method of preparing potatoes for long term storage (flattening and drying in the sun), which would not result in viable potatoes.
Ja, that's what I was afraid of, but didn't think of until after I'd posted.

Even if they did transport viable potatoes, many Andean potatoes are day length sensitive and would not crop at lower latitudes. A slower route of transmission over land would allow the potato enough time to adapt to different day lengths.
Right, so we'd need SOUTHERN Andean potatoes. Bleah...
Boil peeled potatoes, mash with milk and a cube of butter, then spread on desired surface with spatula.

Simples! <squeak>
Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to resist posting that, myself.:)

Highest latitudes for open-air potato growth?

Lowest temperatures and least frost free days?

Any advice on this?
(modern) Potatoes do 'well' in Newfoundland. Anything grows in Newfoundland should be OK anywhere on the west coast up to Alaska, I'd think.
as for day length, aren't potatoes part of modern Swedish cuisine?