AH Challenge: Resurrect Austria-Hungary

I don't think this is possible, but there are some bright people in this forum, so maybe I'll be surprised.

The challenge: Starting any time after 1920, reunite as much of the Austria/Hungarian empire as possible, with extra points for having a Hapsburg in at least nominal charge.

Deleted member 1487

I don't think this is possible, but there are some bright people in this forum, so maybe I'll be surprised.

The challenge: Starting any time after 1920, reunite as much of the Austria/Hungarian empire as possible, with extra points for having a Hapsburg in at least nominal charge.

Post WW2 settlement with a crushed USSR leaves the US as the #1 power, which decides to creates a Danube Federation with a Habsburg figurehead as a counterweight to Germany...unlikely, but maybe possible.

Engelbert Dolfuss survives and is part of a massive dogpile on Germany. Italy, Austria, France, Belgium, Poland, and Czechoslovakia decide that the time is still good and grab what they can off Germany.

With the Nazi party defeated and thoroughly discredited, Dolfuss pressures Hungary into annexation. The Soviets fund a Yugoslav Civil War, similar to the Spanish one IOTL, and the Austro-Hungarians under Dolfuss grab up as much of it as they can. Mussolini grabs parts of Southern Yugoslavia, calling it the Province of Illyria.

Anything plausible here?

Post WW2 settlement with a crushed USSR leaves the US as the #1 power, which decides to creates a Danube Federation with a Habsburg figurehead as a counterweight to Germany...unlikely, but maybe possible.
There is absolutely no way that the USA would ever establish a monarchy in a nation it creates. Republican dictatorship, yeah. But a monarchy with a royal family, never.

Guessing from some quick Wikipedia checks- Horthy decides to support Charles I due to French willingness to support his position.

At first the diplomatic situation is tense but it is eventually resolved. A Charles I/Miklos Horthy-based government survives long enough to become an ally of the Axis Powers, and survives to reclaim large amounts of former Hungarian land from Yugoslavia and Romania.

(It'd probably lose them again due to Hitler losing World War II, but this technically works...)

Guessing from some quick Wikipedia checks- Horthy decides to support Charles I due to French willingness to support his position.

At first the diplomatic situation is tense but it is eventually resolved. A Charles I/Miklos Horthy-based government survives long enough to become an ally of the Axis Powers, and survives to reclaim large amounts of former Hungarian land from Yugoslavia and Romania.

(It'd probably lose them again due to Hitler losing World War II, but this technically works...)
Yes a succesful habsburg Hungary without Austria could work. It'd require Habsburg hungary to be Axis, because I doubt they'd win a war versus Czechoslovakia, Romania and Yugoslavia without powerful allies. However a Habsburg Hungary would still be hard to pull of, since I doubt the Entente and Hungary's neighbours would welcome a Habsburg on the Hungarian throne.

Arguably true, but as mentioned in the first paragraph of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_IV_of_Hungary's_conflict_with_Miklós_Horthy#Easter_Crisis:
Despite warnings by many of his supporters and by Horthy himself that the time was not right to return to the throne, he was optimistic, believing that the mere news of his reappearance and Horthy's willingness to hand over power would revive Hungarians' love for their king. His secret negotiations with French Prime Minister Aristide Briand led him to expect French support if he succeeded, and no armed intervention from Hungary's neighbours.[1]

There is absolutely no way that the USA would ever establish a monarchy in a nation it creates. Republican dictatorship, yeah. But a monarchy with a royal family, never.
Except that time when they turned Iran into an absolute monarchy...or supported Saudi Arabia...I think that if there were popular/elite support for a restoration the US would let them do as they damn well please, provided they are pro-US.

Except that time when they turned Iran into an absolute monarchy...or supported Saudi Arabia...I think that if there were popular/elite support for a restoration the US would let them do as they damn well please, provided they are pro-US.
Iran and the Saudis, they pretty much helped already established regimes. US would never install a monarchy, but has nothing against supporting an already existing one.

Iran and the Saudis, they pretty much helped already established regimes. US would never install a monarchy, but has nothing against supporting an already existing one.
What makes you so sure? As I said, if there were popular and elite support for it in the country, what possible strategic disadvantage would it have? Anything that is not communism is fair game.

Engelbert Dolfuss survives and is part of a massive dogpile on Germany. Italy, Austria, France, Belgium, Poland, and Czechoslovakia decide that the time is still good and grab what they can off Germany.

With the Nazi party defeated and thoroughly discredited, Dolfuss pressures Hungary into annexation. The Soviets fund a Yugoslav Civil War, similar to the Spanish one IOTL, and the Austro-Hungarians under Dolfuss grab up as much of it as they can. Mussolini grabs parts of Southern Yugoslavia, calling it the Province of Illyria.

Anything plausible here?

No, but neither is my idea.

I thought of a 1938-situation as well. Benes sees that an Anschluss will bring the CSR into an impossible situation. Instead he decided that an offer has to be made to Austria and to gamble on loyalty of the "Sudetendeutsche" to anything connected with Vienna.

He offers Schuschnigg the establishment of a Danubian federation with Pressburg/Bratislava as common capital and Schuschnigg as provisory Prime Minister. Schuschnigg grabs the possibility with both hands in order to be the Phoenix of Austria instead of the guy who had to surrender to the Nazis. They quickly sketch a first draft for a federal constitution.

Jansa directly flies to Prague to coordinate his defensive plans with the CSR-general staff.

Hitler is caught by surprise. He orders the (rather unready) Wehrmacht to attack. They are stopped shortly before even reaching Linz. France threatens mobilization if there is no ceasefire in order to hold an international conference. Moscow makes clear towards Poland that it would adhere to its alliance with Prague in case of a Polish intervention on Hitler's side.
Mussolini stays confused and decides to wait what happens. Hungary turns out to be Germany's only ally, but triggers a Romanian intervention. They prove to be little irritation to the Danubian forces and get overwhelmed on their own Eastern front.

After four weeks of war, the Germans are still stuck 20km east of Linz, although controlling most of Tyrolia and Salzburg. Czech forces accomplished some limited counterattacks in Saxony and Silesia. Hungary is in the process of collapsing. France finally mobilizes at least partially, same goes for the United Kingdom. Both again call for an international conference, Mussolini offers to host.

The next day Poland issues a 24h-ultimatum to Berlin that "Germany should refrain all its present or future rights concerning the Mandate of Danzig". Apparently, Poland has moved her best forces into the vicinity of the city.

Two hours before the ultimatum runs out, Hitler is arrested during a coup of the Wehrmacht. Martial law is declared in Germany by "Reichsverweser" Ludwig Beck. Beck announces that Germany is ready to accept an immediate cease-fire.

The conference in Rome starts 8 days later and restores status-quo borders but confirms the Danubian federation.

In 1939, the economically devastated Hungary offers to join the federation if monarchy is to be restored. Pressburg accepts the offer and vows not to question Romania's borders.

In 1943, Civil War breaks out in Yugoslavia. Slovenia and Croatia break free. Italy heavily supports the Croats which reach independance, but are disappointed due to the Italian annexation of large parts of the Adriatic coast (also, Italy annexes the Kosovo and establishes a puppet regime in Montenegro). Slovenia and Croatia develop close ties to the federation, but do not join outright.

In 1956, Mussolini dies. Italy returns to democracy, but a coup by fascist officers throws the country into a franchise of the Spanish Civil War. Danubian troops move into Südtirol and Triest, and, after a referendum, restore the 1914 Italian-Austria border.

A few years later, the Alien Space Bats leave Earth.

Actually, come to think of it, couldn't the E.U federalising and annexing all of former A-H in the future fullfill the challenge?

They did it in Japan. Of course, Japan was already a monarchy but they preserved it and changed it taking away all of its power. Why not in Europe as well?

Last edited: