DBWI: Wierd ATL Map of the Netherlands

So, I was browsing on the internets and I randomly came accross this ATL map of the Netherlands

BeneluxSur.jpg

Now really, what the hell was this guy smoking? I mean, the "Netherlands" somehow lost all its richest southern provinces, which are part of this "Belgium". Really, thats just the Latin word for "Netherlands". Its like splitting France in half and calling the northern part "Gaul".

And how did it get split in half, I wonder? There's nothing logical at all about where that border is-right through the middle of the Dutch-speaking region. I mean, if one were going to split up the Netherlands, one would think it would be the Walloons breaking away like they keep trying to do, but this makes no sense. And whats with that random independent "Luxembourg" with only half the area of Luxembourg province?

The coastline is also very different. Maybe the POD is the Netherlands experiencing some sort of natural disaster, or a second ice age starting? I'm not sure what the significance of that bridge in the north. It's not like anyone lives in Friesland.

mowque

Banned
The coastline is also very different. Maybe the POD is the Netherlands experiencing some sort of natural disaster, or a second ice age starting? I'm not sure what the significance of that bridge in the north. It's not like anyone lives in Friesland.

Maybe it is a dike or some sort?

Yeah the coast is seriously messed up. Look at how smooth it is above Zealand (that is Zealand right? Its island nature is a bit exagerated....). LOL. Clearly this guy doesn't know anything about making fantasy maps.

Well I know that the neitherlands in the initial stages of the Eighty years war were limited to Holland, friesland, and those other two names I forgot, while the rest were under Spanish control maybe in this TL the war goes a lot worse for the neitherlands so they don't gain as much territory as OTL.

What I don't get is "Germany".

So is this "Germany" some kind of unified state, but the Netherlands are not part of it? Weird.

Spengler

Banned
What really gets me is why Luxembourg is on its own isn't it part of thc onfederation of the rhine? I mean what reason for it to just be there?

So, I was browsing on the internets and I randomly came accross this ATL map of the Netherlands

BeneluxSur.jpg

Now really, what the hell was this guy smoking? I mean, the "Netherlands" somehow lost all its richest southern provinces, which are part of this "Belgium". Really, thats just the Latin word for "Netherlands". Its like splitting France in half and calling the northern part "Gaul".

And how did it get split in half, I wonder? There's nothing logical at all about where that border is-right through the middle of the Dutch-speaking region. I mean, if one were going to split up the Netherlands, one would think it would be the Walloons breaking away like they keep trying to do, but this makes no sense. And whats with that random independent "Luxembourg" with only half the area of Luxembourg province?

Since you are an american i won't hold it against you that you are to ignorant to know that this map as a real meap of the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. as of 1956.

ISince you doing a story about an alternate Dutch history you should have learned our histrory first.

During the the Dutch revolt (or Dutch indepence wars) the Dutch reclaimed the cities of Breda, Den Bosch and Eindhoven. In the 17th centruary (and before) it was customary that once you conquered a citie you also gained the land around it. At the peace treaty of Westphaila in 1648. these land were finally acceoted as part of Dutch Republic.
Before these cities were part of Duchy of Brabant (dutch speaking).
At that time statesmen had no concerns about langauge borders.

After the Belgian revolt in 1830 it was decided by the treaty of London in 1839 (it took indeed 9 years) that the border between the Netherlands should be the same as before the French revoltion. However a compromise was reached for the porivince of Limburg. This one was slit in a Belgian (west of the river Meuse) and a Dutch part. As comprimise to the King of The Netherlands who was also Grand Duke of Luxemburg. Luxemburg wa split too. Because the Belgians wanted the whole Grand Duchy.

I could go on but just read you history about the Netherlands and learn about geography.

Since you are an american i won't hold it against you that you are to ignorant to know that this map as a real meap of the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. as of 1956.

ISince you doing a story about an alternate Dutch history you should have learned our histrory first.

During the the Dutch revolt (or Dutch indepence wars) the Dutch reclaimed the cities of Breda, Den Bosch and Eindhoven. In the 17th centruary (and before) it was customary that once you conquered a citie you also gained the land around it. At the peace treaty of Westphaila in 1648. these land were finally acceoted as part of Dutch Republic.
Before these cities were part of Duchy of Brabant (dutch speaking).
At that time statesmen had no concerns about langauge borders.

After the Belgian revolt in 1830 it was decided by the treaty of London in 1839 (it took indeed 9 years) that the border between the Netherlands should be the same as before the French revoltion. However a compromise was reached for the porivince of Limburg. This one was slit in a Belgian (west of the river Meuse) and a Dutch part. As comprimise to the King of The Netherlands who was also Grand Duke of Luxemburg. Luxemburg wa split too. Because the Belgians wanted the whole Grand Duchy.

I could go on but just read you history about the Netherlands and learn about geography.

Dude, I'm not sure if you're contributing to the joke by acting like you do not get that it's a joke, or that you really don't understand that it's a joke. :eek:

That Bridge is not a bridge. This a real Map!!!!!!!!!!

the coastline is the coastline as of 1963.
The bridge is called "de afsluitdijk" . It is a dike which cloed the " Zuiderzee" in order to reclaim land in the newly created "IJsselmeer" The Flevo Polders" are the Polders which has been reclaimed from the sea.

Well I know that the neitherlands in the initial stages of the Eighty years war were limited to Holland, friesland, and those other two names I forgot, while the rest were under Spanish control maybe in this TL the war goes a lot worse for the neitherlands so they don't gain as much territory as OTL.

You Sir, are very mistaken.:mad:
Read up you're Dutch history before making wrongfull statements. The Netherlands were then called; "the United zeven Provinces" . You mention just two plus two unmentioned. You are three Short and forget the :"Generalty Lands".:(

For you guys who enjoy making jokes about some one else country in a Alternate Histroy forum should beteer spend there time reading this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands

The Vulture

Banned
Read up you're Dutch history before making wrongfull statements. The Netherlands were then called; "the United zeven Provinces" . You mention just two plus two unmentioned. You are three Short and forget the :"Generalty Lands".:(

For you guys who enjoy making jokes about some one else country in a Alternate Histroy forum should beteer spend there time reading this:

I'll let Superman say it for me.

whatkindofsicksupersnuffcomicisthis.jpg

This is why we can't have nice things... like weed

You've been here since 2008 and don't know what a Double Blind WI is? :rolleyes:

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/offtopic/double_blind_what_if