Which English Civil War POD should I make into a TL next?

Next ECW TL?

• 1) Earlier natural death of Charles I

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • 2) Deaths of Cromwell and Ireton, 1647

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • 3) Army Council chooses Prince Henry

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • 4) Elected Monarchy of England

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of making a new TL based on a POD that happens during the English Civil War or in the Commonwealth period, but I have a few in mind and don't know which to do. I was hoping that you could read the overview of my ideas below and then vote in the pool that shall be up shortly on which you think would be best/most interesting.

1) King Charles I dies of malaria/some other disease before the Second Civil War begins, thus the Parliamentarians are able to come to a settlement with his son Prince Charles who becomes King Charles II. This leads to a smaller English Empire, smaller Royal Navy and in general worse of England in the long-term. However it avoids two more Civil Wars, the wars in Ireland and the Anglo-Dutch & Spanish wars.

2) During the Putney Debates Oliver Cromwell and Henry Ireton are both stricken down by some disease and die rapidly. The power-vacuum leads to a much more disorganised Second Civil War, though the Levellers manage to rapidly rise in popularity and with the help of Fairfax manage to quell the second rebellion by Charles I. King Charles is put to death still, though the Levellers take over. this leads to a more 'liberal' Republic that has elected MPs without the addition of Rotten Boroughs.

3) In the debates of what should be done next, the Army Council decide that instead of creating a Republic Prince Henry (King Charles I's youngest son) should be placed on the throne as a religiously tolerant King whom would practically be a puppet to Parliament. Henry IX would be a brilliant military-man and would take part in various wars.

4) Henry Ireton wouldn't die in ireland, but would in fact survive the Irish war and go back to England. After the death of his father-in-law Ireton is elected as the next Lord Protector. His pro-Monarchial views begin to show however and the Commonwealth descends into a Kingdom again, however it now has an elected monarchy with Henry ireton becoming Henry IX.

EDIT: I forgot to put a time-limit on, but the poll will be 'finished' in 24 hours from the time it was created.

Last edited:
Right, the poll is closed now. By a vote the 'Deaths of Cromwell and Ireton' option won, and thus I shall start that TL soon :) Thanks for voting guys.