Could Georgia Colony Survive in its original Premise?

Could the original Georgia Colony have survived in its original premise as a combination dumping ground for poor English/Rehabilitation colony.

Could the concept of relatively small farms producing cash crops such as Flax and Mulberry and worked by "Free" white labor have proven successful in the long run?

If the colony in its original format did survive what effects would this have on later events?

I did a timeline somewhat along these lines with gold being discovered in Georgia in the 1750's instead of 1830's...

The resulting Gold Rush keeps Georgia free and inadvertently sparks off an alt American Revolutionary War due to a stronger colonial economy.

I did a timeline somewhat along these lines with gold being discovered in Georgia in the 1750's instead of 1830's...

The resulting Gold Rush keeps Georgia free and inadvertently sparks off an alt American Revolutionary War due to a stronger colonial economy.

Wasn't Georgia already a slave state by that point?

I'll have to say no. Mostly because the cash crops that were suggested to be planted there wouldn't (didn't rather) thrive in that climate too well. It didn't help that liquor was banned there as well. Really the philanthropist project there ended badly.

EDIT: Last Marylander, Slavery wasn't enacted in the state until 1750. It was actually banned.

I'll have to say no. Mostly because the cash crops that were suggested to be planted there wouldn't (didn't rather) thrive in that climate too well. It didn't help that liquor was banned there as well. Really the philanthropist project there ended badly.

All true. The colony also had a severe problem in it's early days with underpopulation, in part caused by the fact that slavery was not permitted in Georgia but was permitted in neighboring South Carolina. As a result, many settlers in Georgia left the colony to move to South Carolina, where they reckoned they could get rich engaging in slave-based plantation farming. So many people were leaving that the new arrivals from England were just barely keeping the population stable, which severely handicapped the various economic enterprises the Trustees wanted to try out in Georgia.

So basically as long as Georgia bordered a colony where slavery was allowed and was clearly profitable, the plan of Oglethorpe and Company was doomed to failure.

EDIT: Last Marylander, Slavery wasn't enacted in the state until 1750. It was actually banned.

Actually it was allowed from 1747 on.