AHC: Islam considered Christian

What it says on the tin. How can you get Islam to be considered a Christian denomination? Would the base rules need to be changed or would it merely take different political action?
Also what would be likely effects?

What it says on the tin. How can you get Islam to be considered a Christian denomination? Would the base rules need to be changed or would it merely take different political action?
Also what would be likely effects?

Wasn't it already seen as a pseudo-Christian heresy in the beginning? Islam can't be really considered Christian, there are too many differences.

I always had a soft spot for the Chrislam idea.

And Islam is not much different from "common" christianity than, say, Mormons or Jehova's Witnesses

Since the biggest doctrinal difference is the divinity (or none) of Jesus, have the Arians win out. Then the theological gap will be smaller.

I think there are some christian sects considering Jesus an Angel rather than the son of God.
And the words "son of God" could be argued by theologians to be something to be taken as a metaphor rather than literally

Wasn't it already seen as a pseudo-Christian heresy in the beginning? Islam can't be really considered Christian, there are too many differences.

Even to the 14th century. There's a reason Dante put Mohammad in the level of schismatics. He looked at Islam as a schismatic heresy.

The trick is to either have the Arians win out, or to have some sort of new religion emerge uniting concepts from both.

Just have Muslims recognize Jesus as God. ;) Mohammed was influenced I believe by the local Jews in the area so have him surrounded by Christians.

I always had a soft spot for the Chrislam idea.

And Islam is not much different from "common" christianity than, say, Mormons or Jehova's Witnesses

ASB. I'm a Muslim by myself, and the 'cristhianism'(the old islamic term was Nazarens for Isa(jesus) of Nazareth) main the worse sins that a muslim can do: Put a Intermediary to God(Allah.etc)

The muslim say than: Doens't exist more divinity than God, and Muhhamad(Salalahu Alehi wassala) is his messanger.

Sorry... that push my reacion

your reaction was perfectly acceptable, no reason to be sorry for it.
However, I think that the title should be interpreted in the same way as, for example "could Christianity be considered a Jewish sect?"
(on which, incidentally, I just opened a thread ):D

However, I think that the title should be interpreted in the same way as, for example "could Christianity be considered a Jewish sect?"

Yeah, that's what I meant.

jejeje,:D, that is one I am... and Ironicaly the Roman thinks that of the 'Cristhian', they're the folower of the jew,:eek::rolleyes:

I don't think that's entirely true, because one of Islam's major 'problems', if it can be termed as such, with Christianity is the fact that it considers Jesus Christ divine rather than simply a prophet. This is a central part of Christianity, I do not see how those two elements can be squared with Islam remaining Islam.

Going to the dark side of religion, without an Islam-Christian conflict it becomes difficult to see how the world would develop. Both Islam and Christianity were religions that have spreading the faith (even by the sword) as a central concept. Without the conflict, there isn't a nearby place to convert. You would probably end up with different donominations fighting each other then (which stresses the differences of the donominations) which puts you back at square one.

I don't think that's entirely true, because one of Islam's major 'problems', if it can be termed as such, with Christianity is the fact that it considers Jesus Christ divine rather than simply a prophet. This is a central part of Christianity, I do not see how those two elements can be squared with Islam remaining Islam.

There's also Unitarianism, which doesn't believe in a divine Christ.

But all of these more diverse Christian sects arose and survived in much more religiously tolerant places and eras.

Don Grey

Banned
I dont think its possible because you would have to have islam consider christ as god. Now that would be making someone or something equal to god. And that is called "shirk". The greatest sin a muslim can commit. The point made by islam was that it came to be because christians started worshiping christ which was just a prophet like moses or mohammed. Muslims still except christianity as one of gods religions and the bible as god message but it was messed up throw the course of time so came islam etc.

To change this is to change islam it self. Then what your left with isnt islam but another faith.

So i dont think its possible. Both religions have similer atributes but still fundimentaly diffrent.

I dont think its possible because you would have to have islam consider christ as god. Now that would be making someone or something equal to god. And that is called "shirk". The greatest sin a muslim can commit. The point made by islam was that it came to be because christians started worshiping christ which was just a prophet like moses or mohammed. Muslims still except christianity as one of gods religions and the bible as god message but it was messed up throw the course of time so came islam etc.

To change this is to change islam it self. Then what your left with isnt islam but another faith.

So i dont think its possible. Both religions have similer atributes but still fundimentaly diffrent.

If Islam were a smaller religion, couldn't a situation emerge in which popular opinion was grossly misguided outside the Muslim world? This is unlikely but not ASB.

As you noted this can be changed. Just have Mohammed proclaim himself as an emissary of Jesus to correct the mistakes man has inserted in his teachings. You could still get a relatively similar alt-Islam that has Jesus at its center. Think of God as the source of a stream, Jesus as the stream, and Mohammad as a filter in the stream that makes the water drinkable after the Christian hierarchy did some illegal dumping. That way you don't get Mohammad as a figure that supersedes Jesus (I know it's more complex than that) and keeps Jesus as a central tenant of the religion. Perhaps considering Jesus as the Platonic Form version of a follower of God and Mohammad just makes that clear ("You follow me, but I tell you follow Jesus Christ and this was Jesus Christ [insert parable or sermon]").

I think with the right set of events that could come about.

There could be a whole new Trinity: The Father, The Son, and their Prophet. No one really understands or cares for the idea of the holy ghost so no one would really notice.

There could be a whole new Trinity: The Father, The Son, and their Prophet. No one really understands or cares for the idea of the holy ghost so no one would really notice.

That doesn't work at all, because someone who is just a prophet is not divine in Christianity, that is why Jesus is different to the rest in that set of beliefs, and as has been said, to call something equal God is a grievous offence in Islam.

I agree, Islam considers itself descended from Christianity but improved and closer to God's message, in the same way that Christianity sometimes regards itself as Judaism in an evolved or improved form. This is the problem with the original theory, Islam began with the legacy of Christianity already in mind.