How can America avoid mexican- american War, and will this lead to a stronger mexico?

A pod after 1835 or so is preferred

I find it would be Interesting If Mexico Is allowed to succeed

Also would this allow for a more stable Mexico, or wold this not help it's real problems?

A pod after 1835 or so is preferred

I find it would be Interesting If Mexico Is allowed to succeed

Also would this allow for a more stable Mexico, or wold this not help it's real problems?

Following the debacle in Texas, Santa Anna is exiled never to return. Democratic rule however shaky is maintained and the era of Caudillos is ultimately stillborn. The US Mexico Boarder disputes are resolved in the United States favor through a series of costly land purchases. This whets America's appetite for westward expansion just enough for them to permanently postpone war with mexico. The Currency gained via this gives Mexico the leeway needed to balance its accounts, and pay for needed reforms.

Understood, How about California up to slightly north of the San Francisco bay and texas to the nuces? does that work?

Santa Ana dies of typhus or something as a child. A more competent Mexican commander defeats the Texan rebellion. Americans don't see Mexico as weak as they did OTL. US-Mexico relations are... complex; no single war though. Instead of being overshadowed from then on, as OTL, Mexico has healthy competition.

Neat then we could have a sale of the minimum amount of territory

Now Was the Texas independence war Really close to failure on texas's part, or am I wrong

America can lose the war of 1812 harshly. If even two northern states are ceded to Canada (excluding Maine), there will be less of a reason to conquer the land to keep free states and slave states equal in number. It will also make America look North and possibly hinder the idea of Manifest Destiny.

I don't have a clue as to how America could easily lose their idea of Manifest Destiny.

Now Was the Texas independence war Really close to failure on texas's part, or am I wrong

It was. The defeat at the Alamo was just one of several Mexican victories that essentially cleaned up Texan war parties all over the south part of the state. The Mexicans had several thousand men in the field, while Houston had several hundred. At San Jacinto, Houston was lucky enough to catch Santa Anna with only part of his force, beat it, capture the General/President/El Supremo and force a peace treaty on him... before the rest of the Mexican army (led by some smarter officers) could react.

As some of the members have pointed out there is some ways of giving Mexico a better chance, but it is significantly harder. By 1835 Mexico has had a few coups and Santa Anna has revoked the 1824 Constitution and replaced it with one of his own design (which eventually lead to Texas and several other states to secede from the republic).

The earlier the POD the better. A few examples include the 1799 Conspiracy of the Machetes, if Mexico can gain independence during this time while the USA isn't as powerful then they get a head start at development. I have to read more on this but I think you can have a few butterflies make Bernardo de Galvez get independence for the colony in the 1780's or 90's. Also, having the start of the OTL Independence War in 1810 start off even smoother and subsequently become more powerful *coughshamelessplugcough* would do wonders for Mexico's future.

Swing a few thousand votes in New York over to the Whig column in 1844 and Clay wins the election instead of Polk. Rather than embracing Manifest Destiny, a President Clay will likely refrain from provoking Mexico with the annexation of Texas. Thus we have no war for the foreseeable future. Whether or not Mexico and the United States can permanently remain at peace is a question of what direction US politics takes in the wake of Clay's victory.

As some of the members have pointed out there is some ways of giving Mexico a better chance, but it is significantly harder. By 1835 Mexico has had a few coups and Santa Anna has revoked the 1824 Constitution and replaced it with one of his own design (which eventually lead to Texas and several other states to secede from the republic).

The earlier the POD the better. A few examples include the 1799 Conspiracy of the Machetes, if Mexico can gain independence during this time while the USA isn't as powerful then they get a head start at development. I have to read more on this but I think you can have a few butterflies make Bernardo de Galvez get independence for the colony in the 1780's or 90's. Also, having the start of the OTL Independence War in 1810 start off even smoother and subsequently become more powerful *coughshamelessplugcough* would do wonders for Mexico's future.

If the insurgents had decided to attack Mexico City in 1810 and succeeded taken it that could have shortened the war for almost 10 years and would give Mexico a better start, without having all the mining industry and agriculture abandoned.

If the insurgents had decided to attack Mexico City in 1810 and succeeded taken it that could have shortened the war for almost 10 years and would give Mexico a better start, without having all the mining industry and agriculture abandoned.

Exactly! That's actually my intent in my own timeline on Mexico. The Querétaro Conspiracy goes according to plan, so Allende gets his wish and attacks México City. The independence movement ends up being lead primarily by Allende and Morelos and (spoilers!) the war ends much, much earlier.

I'm Leaning toward clay victory, but also a Democratic Mexico,

for my timeline, which is more focused on europe anyway but i may mix it up a bit, by the way cool timeline

Cook

Banned
Have the Mexican authorities be very firm in denying slave ownership in the Texas territory. Make it plain that paper trickery would not be tolerated, and that any “Negros” crossing into Mexican territory would automatically and permanently be free citizens.

Have the Mexican authorities be very firm in denying slave ownership in the Texas territory. Make it plain that paper trickery would not be tolerated, and that any “Negros” crossing into Mexican territory would automatically and permanently be free citizens.

That may only anger more the Texan colonists. Another focus should be applied, similar to OTL, giving the colonists some freedoms, but seeing enforced as well the imigration laws the Mexican government had implemented.

Cook

Banned
That may only anger more the Texan colonists. Another focus should be applied, similar to OTL, giving the colonists some freedoms, but seeing enforced as well the imigration laws the Mexican government had implemented.

If they can’t take their slaves, there is a significantly smaller immigration from the Southern States. The “Texan colonists” wouldn’t be there to be angered in the first place.

That makes sense... i was thinking this mexico, most stays under the radar, probably selling a bit of the north to the united states to get pressure off while it stabilizes. Then it hits the gold rush times which will be interesting...

Have an earlier Mexico revolution succeed and perhaps the American revolution fail the first time around but succeed the second. America is more likely to absorb the territory of OTL Canada if they don't secede right off the bat (as loyalists will be less concentrated in the north). If the U.S. has Canadian territory to settle, they'll be far less of an impetus to go westward to Texas and also to absorb the Californias (especially with all of the Oregon territory in American hands).

That's one possibility anyway.