Russian Hawaii?

Onyx

Banned
Post your theories and discussions on the ow the Russians could gain Hawaii from the British/Americans and appease them to be under there control.

Also cookies to anyone who manages to get the hawaiins to be converted to Russian Orthodoxy.

It's Difficult.

The Russian-american Trading company supposedly had good ties with Kamehameha, and did offer their assistance to Kamehameha when he was planning to Invade Kauai. He refused.

But even If Kamehameha accepts their Help, the British probably have a Greater influence in Hawaii.

in 1815, a Russian Trading ship was Wrecked in Kauai, and Kaumuali'i supposedly took the Goods.
then Schaffer was sent to get the Return of the Goods, where he was refused.
he does Claim Kamehameha had Anti-Russian Bias, but there's no real proof supporting that.

perhaps sending someone other than Schaffer to Negotiate, and if it turns ugly, the Russians go to war with Hawaii and the British?
then the Russians defeat the British and gain Hawaii in the peace treaty?

although the Problem with this proposal is that the Napoleonic wars just ended, and they're on decent terms...

I'm not sure if it's possible, but that's my two bits.

Schaeffer promised to prop up Kauai'uli in the face of Kamehameha, offered the Tsar's protection to him, and even built a fort. And then repulsed some American adventurers together with Kauai'uli.

Baranov wasn't pleased (he traded with the Americans extensively despite their near-piratical behaviour), and the Tsar didn't care at all for colonialism, so the whole thing came to a fullstop.

There's some 1819 Russian diplomat writing that Kamehameha's kingdom was receptive to the idea of Russian protection, but once again the Tsar's office couldn't care less.

All in all, difficult, but not really impossible. And Hawaii was a great relay station for the China trade, so holding it is not a terrible idea.

Propping Kauai'uli against Kamehameha however is a tough proposition; the power disparity is more than considerable.

Schaeffer promised to prop up Kauai'uli in the face of Kamehameha, offered the Tsar's protection to him, and even built a fort. And then repulsed some American adventurers together with Kauai'uli.

It's Kaumauli'i, not Kauai'uli.

and Kaumauli'i seems to have manipulated Schaeffer into giving Kaumauli'i what he wanted.

Baranov wasn't pleased (he traded with the Americans extensively despite their near-piratical behaviour), and the Tsar didn't care at all for colonialism, so the whole thing came to a fullstop.

Schaeffer had absolutely no Support, what so ever.
He cost the Company 200,000 Roubles, and eventually the Board decided it would be unfavorable to try again.

And the Company latter realized they Wasted Resources in Hawaii, while the American Profited by Supplying Russia From Hawaii.

There's some 1819 Russian diplomat writing that Kamehameha's kingdom was receptive to the idea of Russian protection, but once again the Tsar's office couldn't care less.

which part of 1819?
Kamehameha I was fiercely independent, and during the start of Kamehameha II's Reign most of the power was in Elizabeth Kaʻahumanu's hands.
either way, that doesn't sound like Kamehameha I, the II or Ka'ahumanu.

Propping Kauai'uli against Kamehameha however is a tough proposition; the power disparity is more than considerable.

During Kamehameha II's reign, 1821 to be specific, Kaumuali'i was practically kidnapped and taken to Honolulu, because they feared he would try to break away from the Kingdom.

Said Kidnapping was done by Kamehameha II on a small boat with no Food, Compass or Charts.

Perhaps the Boat is blown off Course, or Sunk, and they never bring Kaumuali'i back.
But it still doesn't Change Russia's out look on making an effort to turn Kauai into a Protectorate.

Onyx

Banned
Anyone have any more ideas for this?

Im also waiting for the Orthodoxy conversion, you get free cookie with it