Plausibility check : Post Hunting-Foraging "Khoisan" people

The people of Capoid Race had been leaving in South Africa since the Late Stone Age before the arrival of Bantu immigration to the area. However prior to the Bantu arrival, they always had been hunter-foragers which seem to be never for once experimented in settled live style.

The question is, why was that ?

Is there anyway to make the native Capoids of South Africa (especially in Orange Basin, or is this region not potential enough?) into becoming settled agricultural peoples so that they will have enough number to at least limiting later incoming Bantu expansion reach to at least Transvaal area ?

Well they would need something to farm, and as far as I know no crops originate from that region. Perhaps an egytpian expidition?

You're technically wrong, since the Khoikhoi gave up hunter gathering for a pastoral (herding) life style. Mind you, they just herded cattle, goats, and sheep, and stayed pretty much nomadic, but it was a big break from their past.

well, if Diamond is correct, the southernmost tip of Africa was denied to the Bantu because their tropical crops wouldn't grow in the Meditteranean climate there, and the Khoi lived there as hunter/gatherers because there were no native crops there. So, I imagine it would take a POD back in prehistoric times to allow the evolution of several crop plants there, and allow the Khoi to develop agriculture. If they can get cattle, goats, and sheep from the Bantu, they have a real shot at holding the land. Until the Dutch come along anyway...

You're technically wrong, since the Khoikhoi gave up hunter gathering for a pastoral (herding) life style. Mind you, they just herded cattle, goats, and sheep, and stayed pretty much nomadic, but it was a big break from their past.

If they really were already pastoral prior to the arrival of the Bantus, then I stand corrected.

However, is it true that South Africa has no native domesticable food-plant at all ? :eek:

well, if Diamond is correct, the southernmost tip of Africa was denied to the Bantu because their tropical crops wouldn't grow in the Meditteranean climate there, and the Khoi lived there as hunter/gatherers because there were no native crops there. So, I imagine it would take a POD back in prehistoric times to allow the evolution of several crop plants there, and allow the Khoi to develop agriculture. If they can get cattle, goats, and sheep from the Bantu, they have a real shot at holding the land. Until the Dutch come along anyway...

Well the Capoids had been there for like a little below 90000 years when the Bantus came. Surely that is long enough ? Or do you mean pre-Human PoD ?

KhoiSan nearly became separate species of Homo

I have read that the climatic disruption caused by the Toba(?) eruption in Indonesia at about 75,000 BCE caused a genetic bottleneck with two isolated populations of Homo Sapiens, a larger group in east Africa and the KhoiSan in south Africa. They were isolated for so long that they nearly became separate species (or subspecies).

If they really were already pastoral prior to the arrival of the Bantus, then I stand corrected.

However, is it true that South Africa has no native domesticable food-plant at all ? :eek:

The climate in southern Africa favored herding over harvesting. Lack of sufficient fresh water meant that planting a few acres of crops was impossible. The best way to survive was to have a herd of animals grazing over a large area of grassland.

Today there is some agricultural farming in South Africa. Less than 14% of the area is usable and less than a quarter of that land is actually used. The land has been altered using modern techniques. The crops grown are all non-native (sugar, grapes, and corn). Almost all the farms are located near Cape Town.

In that area in the 1400s and 1500s European explorers claimed to have found permanently settled villages. They never mentioned any domesticated plant-life though. In all probability, these villages had some sort of domesticated plant, even if it was only for animal consumption.

Well the Capoids had been there for like a little below 90000 years when the Bantus came. Surely that is long enough ? Or do you mean pre-Human PoD ?

probably. In any event, S. Africa seems to have lacked any kind of 'make up a basic diet' food plant comparable to wheat or potatoes.