To Change The World: A Wellstone Lives Timeline

TO CHANGE
THE WORLD

A WELLSTONE LIVES TIMELINE

- - -

INTRODUCTION

"October 25 was a good day for the campaign. Ted Kennedy had arranged to campaign in Minneapolis that day, and so we did. Then, I debated Norm Coleman that evening. I believe it was a victory for the campaign that further reassured my re-election."[1]

- Sen. Paul Wellstone (DFL-MN) interviewed by The Minneapolis Star Tribune, Jan. 18 2003

"I can tell you all, as his colleague in the Senate, that Senator Paul Wellstone has served his state well in the past eleven years, and I'm confident that he will continue to do so for another six years!"

- Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA) campaigning for Paul Wellstone in Minneapolis, MN, Oct. 25 2002

MINNESOTA SENATORIAL DEBATE, OCT. 25 2002

MODERATOR: This question to directed to both of you. President Bush has often spoken of waging a war in Iraq, claiming that they have weapons of mass destruction. If you are elected senator and President Bush should propose a declaration of war on Iraq, how will you vote? Mr. Coleman, how would you vote?

NORM COLEMAN: I will proudly vote yes. The Iraqi government has showed its opposition to the United States before, so it probably does have weapons of mass destruction that will be used against our nation eventually.

MODERATOR: Senator?

SENATOR PAUL WELLSTONE: I will vote against. Mr. Coleman stated that Iraq has nuclear weapons. But do we know that for sure? President Bush's administration has given no evidence that Iraq has these weapons, and it would be irrational to act simply on allegations. I support an investigation of Iraq, but we should not invade, and unnecessarily waste American lives in an unnecessary war.

U.S. MIDTERM ELECTIONS 2002

U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ELECTIONS, 2002

Republicans: 229 (+8)
Democrats: 204 (-7)

Incumbent Speaker of the House: Dennis Hastert (R-IL-14)
Speaker-Elect: Dennis Hastert (R-IL-14)

U.S. SENATE ELECTIONS, 2002

Democrats: 51 (+0)
Republicans: 49 (-0)

Incumbent Senate Majority Leader: Tom Daschle (D-SD)
Senate Majority Leader-Elect: Tom Daschle (D-SD)

Minnesota Senate Election, 2002

Paul Wellstone (DFL) (inc.) - 57%
Norm Coleman (R) - 37%
Jim Moore (I) - 6%

Incumbent Senator: Paul Wellstone (DFL)
Senator-Elect: Paul Wellstone (D-FL)

Missouri Senate Election, 2002
[2]

Jean Carnahan (D) (inc.) - 49%
Jim Talent (R) - 48%

Incumbent Senator: Jean Carnahan (D)
Senator-Elect: Jean Carnahan (D)

Minnesota Gubernatorial Election, 2002
[3]

Roger Moe (DFL) - 42%
Tim Pawlenty (R) - 41%[4]
Tim Penny (I) - 16%

Incumbent Governor: Jesse Ventura (I)
Governor-Elect: Roger Moe (DFL)

[1]
This was the original schedule for the Wellstone Campaign on October 25, 2002. However, Wellstone's friend, Tom Rukavina's (who was in the Minnesota House of Representatives and currently a candidate for Governor of Minnesota in 2010) father died, and his funeral was scheduled for the same day. Senator Wellstone had a choice: Stick with the campaign schedule, or attend Rukavina's father's funeral. He decided the latter, and died in a plane crash while flying up there. ITTL, the POD is that Senator Wellstone decides to skip the funeral, which butterflies his death.

[2] I'm aware that Wellstone's death being averted wouldn't have a huge effect on Missouri's Senate race, but I thought it would be interesting to see the Democrats in control of the Senate when President Bush declares war on Iraq. Plus, the margin of victory for Jim Talent over Jean Carnahan was by only 1%, so it's very plausible that Senator Carnahan would have won "re-election" in 2002 (See here for why I quote "re-election").

[3] However, unlike the Missouri Senate election, I am actually guessing that Wellstone's re-election would have an effect on the Minnesota gubernatorial election the same year - enough to elect Roger Moe as Governor by a narrow margin.

[4] Indeed, I am aware that I butterflied Governor Tim Pawlenty. However, he will return to politics soon, and will play a prominent role in this timeline later on.

Yet Another Note... I apologize for the lack of meat in this update. I promise the rest of it (2003 - 2014) will be more interesting.

Awesome! I've been waiting for someone to make a Wellstone lives TL. It will interesting to see what effect Wellstone would have on the 2004 election. On the one hand, Wellstone could run for President himself in 2004. Here's what I imagine happening under that scenario:

• Howard Dean would probably have stepped aside and endorsed Wellstone because Wellstone already championed most of the causes Dean was passionate about (i.e. opposing the Iraq war, universal health care)
  • Paul Wellstone rather than Howard Dean would have re-energized the Democratic Party base.
  • Wellstone would likely have run a truly grassroots campaign similar to Dean's in 2004 and Obama's in 2008 given his background as a community organizer and the style of campaigning he used in his senate campaigns
  • Wellstone would likely have won the Iowa Caucus given his history of supporting family farms (a popular issue in Iowa) as a senator and as an organizer, his unwavering opposition to the Iraq War (74% of Iowa Democrats opposed the Iraq War in 2004), and his grassroots Populist campaign (akin to Obama's Iowa campaign in 2008)
  • Wellstone could very well have won the Democratic nomination in 2004 given the momentum an Iowa win would've given him NH. Plus, Howard Dean's endorsement could have assisted Wellstone in NH. Also, Wellstone would not have had Dean's stigma of being unelectable because he was a Senator for 14 years.
On the other hand, Wellstone could have chosen not to run for President and endorse Howard Dean, which would have given Dean a boost in Iowa.

2002-03

PART ONE
- - -
2003 - 2007

"November and December of 2002 were intense months for the Senate. President Bush was talking about declaring war on Iraq, because of supposed 'nuclear weapons,' which I don't believe there are. On November 25, President Bush signed the Homeland Security Act into law. And it was certain that we were going to go to war in Iraq sometime soon."

- Sen. Paul Wellstone (DFL-MN) interviewed by the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Jan. 18 2003

South Korean Presidential Election, Dec. 19 2002[1]

Lee Hoi-chang (Grand National Party) - 48.7%
Roh Moo-hyun (Millenium Democratic) - 48.4%

Incumbent President: Kim Dae-jung (MDP)
President-Elect: Lee Hoi-chang (GNP)

"I, Paul David Wellstone, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter; So help me God."

- Sen. Paul Wellstone (DFL-MN) being sworn in as U.S. Senator for a third term, Jan. 3 2003

"On February 15, there was an organized anti-war protest against the coming Iraq War worldwide. I was honored to make the keynote speech at one of the rallies in D.C."

- Sen. Paul Wellstone (DFL-MN) interviewed by The New York Times, Aug. 25 2006

"I am not proud of our president's determination to drive us into an unnecessary and illegal war. I give you my word that, as a member of the United States Congress, I will remember all of you, and all of your good points as to why not to go to war."

- Sen. Wellstone speaking at an anti-Iraq War rally in Washington D.C. on Feb. 15 2003

The New York Times March 12 2003
----------------------------------------------------------------------
SERBIAN PM ZORAN DINDIC ASSASSINATED

"I would like to announce that the United States military has invaded Saddam Hussein's Iraq. We will be trying our best to bring down the current government."

- Pres. George W. Bush announcing the invasion of Iraq, Mar. 19 2003

"I continue to believe that the American military did extremely well in the first few weeks of the war. We pushed across the deserts of Iraq at a very good speed, entering Baghdad within two weeks. On April 10, Secretary Rumsfeld informed me that the Marine Corps had taken Baghdad's International Airport. I ordered a heavy artillery bombardment of Baghdad, followed by an attempt to conquer the rest of the city."

- Days of Decision: My Life and My Presidency by George W. Bush, 2011

"I have recently heard that the United States military has bombarded the city of Baghdad. I am against this, as there are innocent citizens in the city that are likely dead from the bombardment."

- Sen. Wellstone condemning President Bush's bombardment of Baghdad, April 12 2003

"President Bush announced on March 25 that Baghdad had officially been conquered and occupied by military forces. Several Iraqi politicians and military commanders were taken into American custody, but the most important commander, who the president had specifically ordered to be taken alive, was dead. During the artillery bombardment, the Zuhur Royal Palace, in which Saddam Hussein had been residing during the bombardment, was hit by an astray artillery shell. The shell had hit the very top of the palace, which sent it crashing down. On August 1, 2003, three months after the explosion of the palace, Saddam Hussein's dead body was found in the rubble of the palace as military engineers cleared the area."

- State of Denial: Bush at War, Part III, Bob Woodward, 2006[2]

- - -

"In May 2003, I had an important decision to make. President Bush needed to be stopped in 2004 - his first term had made that evident to myself. I debated running for president myself. If I had made my decision that same month, I probably would have. But the first presidential announcement was made in June by a governor that I deeply respect to this day - Howard Dean. That's when I decided to wait for a presidential bid, and back Dean in 2004."

"I will run for president in 2004."

- Gov. Howard Dean (D-VT) announcing his presidential bid, June 25 2003

"Despite all the controversy, I have made a decision to not run for president. However, I will support Howard Dean to be elected the 44th President."

- Sen. Paul Wellstone (DFL-MN) endorsing Howard Dean, July 2 2003

"I think we couldn't have gone very far at all without Wellstone. He was our earliest backer, and he agreed to campaign for us all over the nation. He was great at grassroots campaigning, so he did us a great service in Iowa."

- Howard Dean interviewed by TIME Magazine, Nov. 2014 edition

"I am for a more moderate America, and so, I will challenge President Bush for the Republican nomination in 2004."

- Sen. Lincoln Chafee (R-RI) declaring his primary challenge to President Bush, Aug. 8 2003[3]

"2004 is the year that we elect a president who is responsible in foreign affairs, and I hope to be that president."

- Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) announcing his presidential bid, Sept. 16 2003

"I will run for the Democratic nomination for president in 2004, and I will run against President Bush in the general election."

- Sen. John Edwards (D-NC) declaring his presidential candidacy, Oct. 4 2003

"I will run for president as a Democrat."

- Gen. Wesley Clark, US Army Ret., declaring his presidential candidacy for 2004

"I wasn't actually surprised by Chafee's challenge, for two reasons: One, he was a moderate, who was dedicated to the anti-war movement, like myself. Two, he was always the 'black sheep' Republican in the Senate, who often sided with us Democrats on war issues and spoke out against his own party on the issue. While I respected his courage to stand up to his own party like that, I personally suspected he wouldn't go far."

- Paul Wellstone (DFL-MN) interviewed by The Star Tribune, Feb. 2013

"Why should you vote for Howard Dean? You should vote for Howard Dean because, as president, he will withdraw us from an unnecessary war that is wasting American lives in Iraq. You should vote for Howard Dean because he will bring universal health care to all Americans. You should vote for Howard Dean because he will care for all the average Americans more than President Bush and his administration has."

- Sen. Paul Wellstone (DFL-MN) campaigning for Gov. Howard Dean in Des Moines, IA, November 5 2003

U.S. Gubernatorial Elections, 2003

California Gubernatorial Recall Election, 2003

Arnold Schwarzenneger (R) - 45%
Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante (D) - 35%
Tom McClintock (R) - 13%

Incumbent Governor: Gray Davis (D)
Governor-Elect: Arnold Schwarzenneger (R)

Louisiana Gubernatorial Election, 2003 (Runoff)

Bobby Jindal (R) - 51%
Lt. Gov. Kathleen Blanco (D) - 49%

Incumbent Governor: Mike Foster (R)
Governor-Elect: Bobby Jindal (R)

Mississippi Gubernatorial Election, 2003

Haley Barbour (R) - 55%
Gov. Ronnie Musgrove (D) (inc.) - 45%

Incumbent Governor: Ronnie Musgrove (D)
Governor-Elect: Haley Barbour (R)

CNN Poll in Iowa, Dec. 1 2003
If the Republican caucus in Iowa were held today, who would you vote for?

President George W. Bush - 83%
Senator Lincoln Chafee - 17%

CNN Poll in Iowa, Dec. 1 2003
If the Democratic caucus in Iowa were held today, who would you vote for?

Senator John Edwards - 14%
Governor Howard Dean - 13%
Senator John Kerry - 13%
General Wesley Clark - 8%
Undecided - 52%

"I think the main factor in the Democratic primaries was Wellstone's grassroots campaigning for Howard Dean in Iowa. He was popular with farmers, and had experience with grassroots campaigning. Keep in mind, he had been elected to the Senate over a popular incumbent in 1990 with a grassroots campaign. Still, the caucus would be very close, and it looked like anyone could win."

- Anonymous history professor in Des Moines, Jan. 2005

NEXT UP: CAMPAIGN '04

[1]
Wellstone not dying in a plane crash wouldn't have an effect on the South Korean presidential election two months later, but I just thought it might be interesting.

[2] This book will be quoted more in future updates.

[3] Lincoln Chafee actually was going to challenge Bush in the New Hampshire primary IOTL, but decided not to after Saddam Hussein was captured in December 2003.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the first date be "November and December of 2002", not 2003?
Don't forget to include the Duelfer Report next time! (Dean and Wellstone, unlike John Kerry could make it a big issue...)

Shouldn't the first date be "November and December of 2002", not 2003?

Fixed, thank you for the correction.

Don't forget to include the Duelfer Report next time! (Dean and Wellstone, unlike John Kerry could make it a big issue...)

Yes, it will play an interesting role in the '04 campaign. As of December 2003, the ISG has had its same observations that it had IOTL, which is that there were no chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons in Iraq.

Are you going to address his MS? So far pretty good!

Yes. I was reading on it, and I figure I shouldn't havemuch of a problem with it. It looks like, if you do therapy, it'll be alright. But eventually, it will play a big role. I won't say when.:p

By the way, I hope to have another update up today.

Presidential Primaries 2004

Forgot one, important thing...

"I will run for president in 2004."

- Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) announcing his presidential bid, Nov. 3 2003

"As a major campaigner for Governor Dean, I was very anxious for the Iowa caucus. The grassroots campaign was working very well; you know you're doing well when you're doing well in Iowa and you come from Vermont. I was, needless to say, happy that I was helping his campaign so much, but I was wondering, 'Will it pay off?'"

D.C. Democratic Primary - Jan. 14 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 43%
Sen. John Kerry - 27%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 20%
Sen. John Edwards - 8%
Sen. Joseph Lieberman - 2%

Iowa Democratic Caucus - Jan. 19 2004

Sen. John Edwards - 28%
Gov. Howard Dean - 27%
Sen. John Kerry - 25%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 14%
Sen. Joseph Lieberman - 6%

Iowa Republican Caucus - Jan. 19 2004

President George W. Bush - 89%
Sen. Chuck Grassley (write-in) - 6%
Sen. Lincoln Chafee - 4%

"I didn't win the Iowa caucus, but I placed a really close second, which is what I think gave me a lot of momentum. New Hampshire was looking great - I was leading John Kerry by five points. I remember I was very energetic just before I got up to make my concession speech. I was so energetic, I could have screamed in joy. But then, Joe[1] reminded me to be calm and keep myself under control."

- Howard Dean interviewed by TIME Magazine Nov. 2014 Edition

"What I've learned on the campaign trail is that Americans want health insurance. Well, my fellow Americans, you're going to get health insurance, once we get a responsible president on January 20th!"

- Gov. Howard Dean campaigning in New Hampshire, Jan. 21 2004

New Hampshire Democratic Primary - Jan. 27 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 34%
Sen. John Kerry - 26%
Sen. John Edwards - 21%
Sen. Joseph Lieberman - 11%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 8%

New Hampshire Republican Primary - Jan. 27 2004

President George W. Bush - 79%
Sen. Lincoln Chafee - 21%

"I was interested in both parties' primaries that day. I was ecstatic over Dean's eight-point victory in New Hampshire, but I was also interested in the Republican race - Lincoln Chafee had just won over 20% of the vote! Still, I was very sure that, after the GOP Mini Tuesday primaries, he would drop out. And I was right."

- Sen. Paul Wellstone interviewed by The New York Times, Aug. 25 2006

Mini Tuesday (Feb. 3) Democratic Primaries

Arizona Democratic Primary - Feb. 3 2004

Sen. John Kerry - 27%
Gov. Howard Dean - 25%
Sen. John Edwards - 23%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 14%

Delaware Democratic Primary - Feb. 3 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 31%
Sen. John Kerry - 22%
Sen. John Edwards - 16%
Sen. Joseph Lieberman - 16%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 15%

Missouri Democratic Primary - Feb. 3 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 28%
Sen. John Edwards - 26%
Sen. John Kerry - 23%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 15%
Sen. Joseph Lieberman - 8%

New Mexico Democratic Primary - Feb. 3 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 31%
Sen. John Kerry - 30%
Sen. John Edwards - 19%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 9%

North Dakota Democratic Primary - Feb. 3 2004

Sen. John Kerry - 24%
Gov. Howard Dean - 23%
Sen. John Edwards - 21%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 17%
Sen. Joseph Lieberman - 15%

Oklahoma Democratic Primary - Feb. 3 2004

Gen. Wesley Clark - 44%
Sen. John Edwards - 20%
Sen. John Kerry - 16%
Gov. Howard Dean - 15%
Sen. Joseph Lieberman - 5%

South Carolina Democratic Primary - Feb. 3 2004

Sen. John Edwards - 51%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 26%
Gov. Howard Dean - 14%
Sen. John Kerry - 6%
Sen. Joseph Lieberman - 3%

Mini Tuesday (Feb. 3) Republican primaries, Feb. 3 2004

Arizona Republican Primary - Feb. 3 2004

President George W. Bush - 99%
Sen. Lincoln Chafee - 1%

Delaware Democratic Primary - Feb. 3 2004

President George W. Bush - 93%
Sen. Lincoln Chafee - 7%

Missouri Republican Primary - Feb. 3 2004

President George W. Bush - 94%
Sen. Joseph Lieberman - 6%

New Mexico Republican Primary - Feb. 3 2004

President George W. Bush - 97%
Sen. Lincoln Chafee - 2%

North Dakota Republican Primary - Feb. 3 2004

President George W. Bush - 91%
Sen. Lincoln Chafee - 9%

Oklahoma Republican Primary - Feb. 3 2004

President George W. Bush - 92%
Sen. Lincoln Chafee - 7%

South Carolina Republican Primary - Feb. 3 2004

President George W. Bush - 99%
Gov. Mark Sanford (write-in) - 1%

"I am dropping out of the race for the Republican nomination, though I refuse to endorse my former opponent."

- Sen. Lincoln Chafee (R-RI) withdrawing from the GOP nomination, February 3 2004

"I am withdrawing from the race for the presidency, and endorsing the next President of the United States, John Kerry!"

- Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) endorsing Sen. John Kerry (D-MA)

"The Dean campaign was doing very well after Mini Tuesday. I kept on campaigning for Howard Dean, hoping for a sweep of Super Tuesday which would give him the nomination."

Michigan Democratic Primary - Feb. 7 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 36%
Sen. John Kerry - 34%
Sen. John Edwards - 16%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 14%

Washington Democratic Caucus - Feb. 7 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 38%
Sen. John Kerry - 31%
Sen. John Edwards - 24%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 7%

Maine Democratic Caucus - Feb. 8 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 42%
Sen. John Kerry - 33%
Sen. John Edwards - 21%
Gen. Wesley Clark - 4%

"I am dropping my presidential bid, and endorsing the next President of the United States of America, Governor Howard Dean! Let us all unite around Governor Dean and bring back a better America."

- Gen. Wesley Clark (D-AR) endorsing Gov. Howard Dean, Feb. 9 2004

Tennessee Democratic Primary - Feb. 10 2004

Sen. John Edwards - 41%
Gov. Howard Dean - 31%
Sen. John Kerry - 28%

Virginia Democratic Primary - Feb. 10 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 37%
Sen. John Kerry - 33%
Sen. John Edwards - 30%

"It was a very pleasant surprise to win Virginia, and by such a great margin - we won it with 37% of the vote to Kerry's 33%. We were still the frontrunner, and everyone in the campaign knew that, if we kept it up, we would win the Democratic nomination."

- Howard Dean interviewed by TIME Magazine, Nov. 2014 Edition

Nevada Democratic Primary - Feb. 14 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 36%
Sen. John Kerry - 32%
Sen. John Edwards - 32%

Wisconsin Democratic Primary - Feb. 17 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 42%
Sen. John Kerry - 31%
Sen. John Edwards - 27%

"After the Wisconsin primary, I realized our campaign was doing very poorly. We hadn't won a primary since Mini Tuesday, which was very bad. I decided to see what the February 24 primaries would bring, and if I didn't win one, I would endorse Howard Dean."

- Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) interviewed by TIME Magazine Mar. 2007 Edition

Hawaii Democratic Primary - Feb. 24 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 49%
Sen. John Kerry - 42%
Sen. John Edwards - 9%

Idaho Democratic Primary - Feb. 24 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 39%
Sen. John Kerry - 32%
Sen. John Edwards - 29%

Utah Democratic Primary - Feb. 24 2004

Gov. Howard Dean - 35%
Sen. John Kerry - 34%
Sen. John Edwards - 31%

"The voters in the Democratic Party have shown that they do not want me this year. I understand and respect that, and I urge those who voted for me in these primaries to vote for the man who will transform America into the way it needs to be - Governor Howard Dean."

- Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) endorsing Gov. Howard Dean (D-VT), Feb. 25 2004

"I am withdrawing my candidacy for president, and endorsing Governor Dean."

- Sen. John Edwards (D-NC) endorsing Gov. Dean, Feb. 26 2004

Republican nominee for President: President George W. Bush (R-TX)
Democratic nominee for President: Governor Howard Dean (D-VT)

"Howard Dean officially clinched the nomination in late February, which I was very ecstatic about. And I knew that, if Dean did everything right, he could very well be elected President of the United States."

NEXT UP: DEAN VS. BUSH AND THE ELECTION OF 2004

[1]
"Joe" is Joseph Trippi, who was Howard Dean's 2004 campaign manager.

Very interesting indeed. As a great fan of both Dean and Wellstone I shall be watching this with eager eyes. Somehow, I don't think that the Vermont Governor is going to quite pull this off, but I shall still wait and see.

Keep up the good work!

:)

Will he keep his voice modulated properly this time? I don't think Dean can survive Karl's machine meself, but Dude probably has something different in mind.

Dean will probably loose and Wellstone run in the next election when he has a chance.

God I hope that isn't it cause I'd hate to guess it like that and kinda ruin it. Please don't tell us. Let it play out naturally. :eek:

Damn...I kinda wanted Edwards to win the Nod, so a Bush General Election Victory won't tarnish the Dean-Wellstone brand of Progresssivism. But I don't want to get to far of myself with excitement for the TL. So I guess the next things is to see who Dean picks as a running Mate and if a certain Illinois State Senator gets the Keynote address;) Keep it comming!!!

Very interesting, but how does the Wellstone victory get the Democrats to 51 Senators. 49 + 1 = 50. Who else wins? I don't see how Wellstone helps Dean that much.