Uncommon UCS Colors

Ok, so I was making a map, and among other things I've come across the problem of needing UCS colors for some countries that either rarely need one or just don't have one.

So I decided to make a thread about it so that we can figure out UCS colors for countries that are rare or uncommon in terms of becoming powerful enough to need one.

Liberia could be a variant US color.
Argentina probably a shade of light blue.
Canada, hmmm maybe a shade of brownish-red?

Those maps are done with my New Modern Colour Scheme, a UCS variant which gives colours to countries such as Argentina, Canada, Australia, Thailand, Vietnam, Pakistan etc.

Sorry, I forgot to mention your name. :(

Sir Thande, your system works perfectly (or at least to me it does) and therefore you definitely deserve an applause. :)

Thande

Donor
New Zealand could use one, since it has "colonies" out in the Pacific.

The thought had occurred to me, but I just couldn't quite justify it to myself. It's worth noting that the DK Atlas of World History indeed gives colours to Australia and New Zealand for that very reason, even though they're only used for a couple of pages near the end.

This made me think of an interesting situation, now in general with territories (the kind that become integral) are shown as a darkr shade.

Now, what about places like Puerto Rico, or various American territoires that are'nt integral, but not on the way to independence, should they be shown with territory colors or with the national color.

Puerto Rico is a totally confusing situation that is just plain screwy. Personally, I'd use the national color simply because it has a static situation. If one is using it in an AH where its situation changes, however, it would be appropriate to use the territory shade IMO.

I personally think one of the critical factors of having a UCS color is if there is non-contiguous territory that shows up on the typical map. What I mean is the Philippines kind of deserve a color while Maldives or Equatorial Guinea, not so much.

Of course, this once again highlights the fact that the rank-and-file UCS is only really best for OTL. I think it needs to be edited to represent the poltical realities of ATLs.

The UCS raises some issues if you are working in the Middle Ages or Early Modernity, and need to distinguish between several Holy Roman member states.
It just doesn't help the observer on the map of, say, 1100, if everything is white, only the tiny "Northern March" - as the precedent of the later Prussian state - is coloured in a dark grey ...

Moreover, if it suffices to distinguish between "homeland" of the Emperor vs. remaining Empire, it is also not too intuitive to dye the Habsburg possession in purple, but the rest of the HRE in a completely dissimilar light grey. But the cure for this is obvious: Just use a lighter shade of the "homeland" colour (if there is one, see below).

Here are some suggestions for the selection of additional colours:

• Bavaria: assigning a colour to it makes sense from 555 to 1870 AD - or even until today (based on what you want to show ;)).
    For simplicity, I consider it the best choice to use either the dusty-morning sky blue or the freshly sprouting-grass green Valdemar II has used on his wiki maps - perhaps a bit darker.
    A slight variant of this colour can be used for Palatinate (at least while under Wittelsbach).
  • The Imperial Church (i.e. the episcopal possessions in the rank of Imperial principalities).
    Suggestion: A shade of the Papal State Colour. (even if hostile to each other ...)
  • Saxony. This is slightly tricky, because the name and status was occupied by several states at different times.
    The great Saxony before 1180 should get Germany's light grey, or even Prussia's dark grey , as it is the only dominant factor in Northern Germany. After 1180, this colour can be used for Brunsvik and its descendants, including the Electorate of Hannover. Back in the Middle Ages, another grey shade can be used for other possessions of the Swabian Welfs, in particular Tuscany.
    The Wettin Saxon Electorate should get an own colour; with Valdemar (as above), this could be moss green. Shades can then get to their brother states (after the split into the Albertine and Ernestine branches in 1485). Consequently, Saxe-Lauenburg would best get a blend of grey and green, but now we're already touching the borders of sensible colouring ...
  • Before 1208, Swabia should (and until 1313, can) be marked - I prefer a dark brown.
  • After these dates, you might need Württemberg (suggestion: yellow) and/or Bade (2 shades after partioning).
  • Between Reformation and 1870, it can by handy to highlight (at least one) Hessia - to me a light brown.
  • Imperial Cities should be plain red (FF0000), as cities are on a map.:)

Those maps are done with my New Modern Colour Scheme, a UCS variant which gives colours to countries such as Argentina, Canada, Australia, Thailand, Vietnam, Pakistan etc.

Sounds interesting.
Where can we find it?

Last edited:
Those are good suggestions, but would not show up very well on a world map since they deal with such small territories. Maybe a UCSfHRE is needed. And on close-up maps of Europe, non-European colors could safely be duplicated, so that, say, a bright green could be used for the Pfalz.

Thande

Donor
What we really need is a large map (series) of the HRE.

I started to make a map of the HRE in 1789, but while I drew in all the divisions, I couldn't make sense of the map key to fill them in with the right colours. If I linked to the blank map with divisions, could someone who knows more about the HRE have a crack at it?

I started to make a map of the HRE in 1789, but while I drew in all the divisions, I couldn't make sense of the map key to fill them in with the right colours. If I linked to the blank map with divisions, could someone who knows more about the HRE have a crack at it?

I'm sure you would find an army of Teutonophiles ready and willing.

Thande

Donor
Well, if anyone wants to have a go, here it is. (Anyone still on dial-up, prepare to die! :p )

hre_test_6.png

I am bemused by Korea. In the past, I have seen an orange color used for the country; however, Thande's recent map of World Cup qualifiers shows South Korea in purple. Where did the purple come from, and why was it introduced?

Thande, where did you get that map from?

It is amazingly detailed, and I suppose all borders make some sense -
but not all of them are really borders of states of the Empire, at least to my knowledge.