Alternate big movie stars in more conservative 60s.

Introduction:
Cardinal Siri is elect Pope in 1958,nothing Concilio Vaticano II.
Nixon is elect President of United States in 1960,and reelect in 1964.
Right medical diagnosis for McMillan,and nothing Profumo scandal in 1963.
In UK Conservative win the election in 1964.
Diem lives,the decomposition of South Vietnam is more slow,
Nixon don't want involve directly the United States in a South East Asia war: so nothing Vietnam war.
A young men called Bob Dylan is hit to death by a car in 1959.
Also four young british men from Liverpool dies in a car incident in Hamburg in 1960.
In december 1960 is the fifftenth sad anniversary of the dead of a british kid called Mick Jagger.
Counterculture,hippies are very few,like the beatnik in 50s.
So,
In a timeline in which the 60s are a more conservative and quiet decade,
and the movie industry and the public taste much more conventional and traditional
which would have been the big movie stars of late 60s an early 70s?
Forget De Niro,Barbara Streisand,Al Pacino,Dustin Hoffman,Robert Duvall
for the pole position.
I think probably:

George Hamilton
Raquel Welch
Samantha Eggar
Jim Hutton
Suzanne Pleshette
Dean Jones
John Gavin
Robert Goulet
Jeffrey Hunter
Robert Wagner
Paula Prentiss
Pamela Tiffin

Last edited:
Audrey Hepburn would likely have continued active, instead of gradually withdrawing from film after the late 1960's, and Julie Andrews would have gotten more roles. Doris Day may well have continued working in movies through the 1970's at least instead of withdrawing pretty abruptly from films after "Caprice". Ann-Margret would have become a big star in either case. Elizabeth Taylor might or might not have been affected, depending on the fallout from "Cleopatra" and her subsequent affair with Richard Burton, which might have hurt her in a more conservative 1960's - but then again maybe not, it didn't hurt her permanently when she (at least according to many) stole Eddie Fisher from Debbie Reynolds. Speaking of Reynolds, she and other Golden Age stars like Jane Russell, Barbara Stanwyck, Kim Novak, Lana Turner, Ava Gardner and Greer Garson would likely have gotten more roles and had longer active careers.

In the 1970's and 1980's though, and following, I'm not sure. I'll have to think on that, and the butterflies would be in full effect by the 1990's so a whole crop of unknowns would likely have hit the big time in Hollywood by then.

I disagree that a more conservative 60's would extend all those people's careers. Hollywood in any tl, is like any movie industry, so its going to favour young beautiful women over slightly older, slightly less beautiful women for roles, so you would see new people come through like Jane Fonda. Its just they would remain apolitical or would get fired and blacklisted if they came out as rabid traitors.

We are talking movie stars and celebrities. To further their careers, they would just jump on the bandwagon and become more conservative.

I see also as great movie stars Jane Fonda,Peter Fonda and Robert Redford,but in more traditional roles (nothing Easy rider for Peter,but sophisticated comedy and traditional westerns).
I see actors like De Niro,Pacino,Hoffman,Nicholson as character actors.

Lounge, DeNiro, Pacino, and Hoffman didn't come on the scene till the 70s with films like the Godfather I&II and the Graduate; as for Jack, absolutely, I watched something on A&E about him and it seemed he needed Acid to get big, after he did Acid while filming Easy Rider it all changed.

Actually, you might have to go back to the '50's for this POD, because the break up of the studio system due to antitrust regulation is what really ended the era of conservative Hollywood film-making. This forced directors to find new sources of financing but also allowed them greater creative control of their work, leading very quickly to more diverse and socially critical films. Thus, even if the 60's had been more conservative generally, Hollywood would still have moved strongly left since film-makers think themselves artists and artists tend toward liberalism. Besides, there would still have been a women's movement and a civil rights movement. The War didn't exclusively produce 60's counterculture. In a more conservative social climate at this time I could see more Jack Lemmon films.

This is quite interesting, Madrigal, but how much would creative control help if people didn't want to watch critical movies? There were many young people with progressive ideas who liked those movies, hence they were successful, but if this world really stayed more conservative, I think those creative directors may stay poorer. (George Lucas still may have big success, however.)

This is quite interesting, Madrigal, but how much would creative control help if people didn't want to watch critical movies? There were many young people with progressive ideas who liked those movies, hence they were successful, but if this world really stayed more conservative, I think those creative directors may stay poorer. (George Lucas still may have big success, however.)

Well, in OTL the era of the big studios movies were the primary source of social commentary, and audiences included young and old alike. The films offered standard resolutions to social problems in a generic format (i.e. westerns, gangster flicks, musical comedies, historical epics, etc.) The film-going demographic changed dramatically by the 60's, thanks to the advent and increasing popularity of television. Older people stayed home and watched TV, younger people went to the movies. TV remained conservative throughout the 60's as film became increasingly liberal (although there were notable exceptions and the trend had dimished and in some ways reversed by the 70's). Perhaps, in ATL more kids stay home and watch TV with their parents and these "artistic" directors infiltrate TV and there are more Playhouse 90 type shows.
(Lucas' main influences were Kurasawa and Coppola, but also Kubrick, so hard to say.)

But untill 1965-66 movie were much more traditional-escapistics,
with musicals with Julie Andrews,comedy with Doris Day,Sandra Dee,Dick Van Dyke,Cary Grant,Audrey Hepburn, Jim Hutton, western with John Wayne.
If the decade is more conservative,this trend continue untill early 70s almost.