WI Challenge: British victory in the Revolutionary War?

I'd like to know of any other post-1776 WI that end with a British victory. I'm sure you have read mine already.

Any other Cornwallis sympathisers here besides me? :D

I just had somebody e-mail me asking if people in the Union of North America drive on the left or the right.

My answer is that they do both! :D

Seriously, five Realms (Canada, Pennsylvania, Lacustria, Appalachia and Florida) drive on the right while the other three (New England, Virginia and Oregon) drive on the left.

This is unsurprising considering that the right-handed Realms were settled originally by Continental powers while left-handed Realms were settled originally by the Brits.

The upshot of this? Automobiles have just one seat up front for the driver, right in the middle! This makes it easier for cars to drive on both left- and right-handed roads!

Cornwallis was a crybaby. When he surrendered, he wouldn't even go himself to face Washington, but sent his adjutant instead. The king should have had him caned across his lilly white butt cheeks for losing the war. Hmm.. he should be a hero in America, since he so helpfully got stomped in the south and cornered in Yorktown....

Grey Wolf

Donor
chrispi said:
The upshot of this? Automobiles have just one seat up front for the driver, right in the middle! This makes it easier for cars to drive on both left- and right-handed roads!

Early trucks were like this, with a cab sort of in the middle with just one seat

Grey Wolf

To heck with Cornwallis! It would have been the Howe brothers, general and admiral, who won the day. Then, as stauch Whigs, they use the victory to oust Lord North and institute a moderate victory program that quickly turns the Loyalists into the majority.

Grimm Reaper said:
To heck with Cornwallis! It would have been the Howe brothers, general and admiral, who won the day. Then, as stauch Whigs, they use the victory to oust Lord North and institute a moderate victory program that quickly turns the Loyalists into the majority.
It was Gen. Howe, after all, who stopped the Rebels at West Point. Of course, dissuading the French and Dutch from interfering had nothing to do with it...

And, yes, Lord North will lose the confidence of the Commons after the victory (loathe to punish they) and the Earl of Chatham becomes PM for a short while, to be succeeded by Charles Fox.

Cornwallis doesn't go to heck, of course; he goes to Australia, as the Governor of the colony of New Cornwall. :)

Last edited:
GURPS' AE world Cornwallis. Might want to look up Uchronia's PODs for this time period too.

Faeelin:
Why not? We may well have lost without the French, and the postwar developments seem reasonable. There are altergangers born after they could possibly have been, but that is a problem with all the GURPS worlds (including mine). Is that what you mean?

Faeelin

Banned
tom said:
Faeelin:
Why not? We may well have lost without the French, and the postwar developments seem reasonable. There are altergangers born after they could possibly have been, but that is a problem with all the GURPS worlds (including mine). Is that what you mean?

Look. Compared to John, Grey, or many other people on this board, I'm a jacobin. I think monarchies are an inferior form of government.

But even I don't think aristocrats walked around chatting about how economic progress was bad and they should stop it. Joseph of Austria and his successor Leopold were both open to reforms, and in the absence of the french revolution, Leopold's austria would've been rather different.

Tories verses Whigs

Grimm Reaper said:

Sorry, but the moderate victory program was Lord North's policy. The Whigs policy was American independance. Any change that results in an earlier Whig government will result in an earlier American victory, even if that includes American defeat on the battlefield. Any British victory would have to result in the Americans giving up at least four years before the whigs take power for it to stick.