Stefan IV Dusan - Constantine XI

This is my first timeline. It deals with a Stefan Dusan who lives to be crowned Constantine XI of a revived Byzantine Empire. I'd like to thank Basileus Giorgios, without whose encouragement and advice I would not have been able to get this thing started. :p

stefan8.jpg

An excerpt from The History of the Roman Empire in the 14th Century by Ioannis Psellos. Vardas Publishing, Constantinople. Second edition, 1953.

CHAPTER III - THE SERVIAN RESTORTION

INTRODUCTION

The Slavic barbaroi from the north had long threatened Constantinople’s security and peace. I refer of course not to our Hellenic brothers of Slavic descent, but to the Slavophone inhabitants medieval Servia and Voulgaria. Their frequent incursions, makeshift settlements, and not infrequent rebellions had made them a thorn in the Romans’ side for centuries. The newcomers had even been arrogant enough to claim the highest title, the title only one man in Christendom (well, save for the Western emperor we recognized when it was expedient) could hold – that of emperor. After the fall of the First Voulgar Empire, the haughty kings of these barbarians continued to claim the title of tsar. This unauthentic claim held little weight and served only to antagonize the one True Emperor in Constantinople, the equal of the Apostles, God’s vice-gerent on Earth. However, the slavoi would prove themselves quite capable, equal in some instances to us Greeks. The historian notes that many of the most illustrious Greeks of today have Slavic descent, and holds the Servian and Voulgarian languages in high regard for their melodious sound. The slavoi have enriched our Hellenic culture with their quaint ways and novel philosophies. One of them would rise to save the Roman Empire, and by extension the Roman people, from vassalage and slavery.

EARLY LIFE OF CONSTANTINE XI

Note: For the purposes of this section of the history, Constantine XI will be referred to by his Servian name, Stefan Dusan.

When Stefan Uros Dusan, or as Constantine XI Dusanes was known among the Servs before his ascension to the throne , assumed the title of emperor of Romans and Servs, his claim to the Roman throne was anything but spurious. As a child, Dusan had spent several years in Constantinople, and became learned in our Greek ways. He participated in the Servian victory at Velbuzhd, at which the Voulgars were finally and irrevocably crushed – thankfully, a Voulgar Empire would never rise again. The Romano-Voulgar power struggles helped to fragment Orthodoxy for centuries, and the rulers of these upstart slavoi had proved more trouble than they were worth. After this humiliating defeat, the Voulgars became hostile to the Romans, a political shift that would aid Dusan in his future conquests. One cannot exaggerate the brilliance of this ruler, which we can at least partially attribute to his illustrious Greek ancestors. His ascension to the throne demonstrated the power Servian nobles, who had deposed Dusan’s father in favor of him, but he never ceased to masterfully manipulate these greedy aristocrats.

Through a combination of conquest and treaty-making (for the Dusanes never resorted to bribery), Dusan conquered much of Macedonia, and set his eyes on Epirus, Thessaly and Albania. His strategy called for a relatively bloodless campaign in which he would seek the help of Greek landowners and nobles. This illustrious leader would never needlessly spill the blood of fellow Greeks, for despite his Servian heritage he undoubtedly felt as Greek as the usurper in Constantinople. After several of his conquests, he took the title REX RASIE, IMPERATOR ROMANIAE, symbolizing his transition from the King of a nation (Rascia) to Roman Emperor.

THE ASCENDANT KING

Dusan’s imperial ambitions could not be realized until he deposed John V Palaiologos. John V, as need not be said, was a weak, and in the end treasonous, emperor. Numerous books have been written on the depravity of his rule, and I will spare my readers the details here. Nevertheless, Dusan knew that he had to ascend to the throne, it was his God-given mission. To this end, he makes a strategic pact, later a military alliance, with his old friend, John Kantakouzenos. Kantakouzenos, as co-emperor John VI, also desired to be sole ruler of Constantinople. To Dusan, who was on a divine mission, this did not matter in the least – what could Kantakouzenos and his patchwork army do against his unstoppable fighting force? Better to ally with him and fry the big fish, the despised John V, first.

A rather amusing historical document attributed to Kantakouzenos tells us how Dusan not only regarded him among his best friends, he saw in John a superior, the true Christian emperor. When the two meet to sign their pact, John tells us, Dusan spent so much money in his reception that it’s a miracle that he could field an army afterward. Regardless of what Kantakouzenos wrote, the original copy of the treaty now housed in the Dusanes Dynasty wing of the Museum of Constantinople tells us a different story.

Kantakouzenos gives Dusan heavy concessions in return for his help in the incoming Roman civil war –

1.)Dusan would be allowed to keep any territory conquered in Epirus and Albania, whether in the course of the war against the Palailogoi or in his personal wars against local rulers

2.)The conquered cities of Macedonia and Thessaly would be able to choose between Kantakouzenos and Dusan

3.)In the case that John VI is killed, Kantakouzenos will declare Dusan co-emperor

This alliance proves fruitful for both men. When war finally broke out in 1343, Kantakouzenos leads a large force of Servs and Greeks through Macedonia while Dusan made a parallel assault into Thessaly. Both offensives are a resounding success – one by one, the cities yet conquered by Dusan surrender to Kantakouzenos, while Dusan is already at the walls of Thessalonica.

By 1344, John V Palaiologos is faced with a dilemma. He is either to recognize Kantakouzenos as co-emperor, and in effect become a subordinate, or he is to fight on until the end. He decides the latter option, though it wouldn’t matter either way – he would be the last emperor of the Palaiologos dynasty. It would be a disappointing finish, and as I write from the library in Constantinople I notice the scarcity of books that describe the rule of the Palaiologoi. Back to our story - efforts by the Roman navy and some “helpful” Turkish pirates relieve Thessalonica, and Kantakouzenos, a man who was never quite as courageous as our Constantine XI, abandons the siege.

In early 1345, Kantakouzenos returns to Thessalonica with 50,000men, making the city’s capture his final goal in the campaign. Meanwhile, Dusan, ever the pragmatist, is happy to consolidate his conquests. He is also secretly working on an alliance with the Venetians – though the Serene Republic had previously been hostile to the idea of a powerful Roman Empire, whether under Greek or Serv, Dusan promised to crush the Genoans and give the Venetians free roam in the Black Sea. This may shock the modern reader, but we now all know that what Dusan did was necessary for the restoration of the Roman realm. [The historian omits an additional concession: to add the icing on the cake, Dusan promised a 50-year lease on the island of Lemnos, from which the Venetians could expand their trade.] The alliance is finally made in late September, with representatives of the Servs and Venetians meeting in secret in the Zetan city of Budva. Dusan finally has his navy – and his imperial ambitions are that much closer to fruition.

The war draws to a close as Kantakouzaenos’s forces, doubtlessly led by Dusan’s skillful generals, capture Thessalonica in February 1346. John V immediately surrenders and signs a peace treaty which recognized Kantakouzenos as co-emperor. Kantakouzenos is true to his word, and “awards” Dusan many of the cities he has captured. [Dusan’s empire is somewhat smaller than in OTL, but it’s much stronger diplomatically. Another fact that the historian omits: with the help of the patriarch, Dusan is able to send his wife Helena off to a convent]. Dusan marries Kantakouzenos’s daughter Maria, in an elaborate and jubilant ceremony in Constantinople. Kantakouzenos spends a small fortune on the celebrations, surely no less than what Dusan had allegedly spent on his reception years ago. Dusan, however, has no intention on keeping with the status quo, which of course is a weak Roman Empire. He has now married into the imperial family, and this tall, ambitious and brilliant leader waits for his chance to take the throne.

Wonderful start. Looks like I have a rival TL here. :p

One proposal- why not add your "in OTL" bits down at the bottom? It makes the whole thing look a bit neater.

Thanks everyone :).

One proposal- why not add your "in OTL" bits down at the bottom? It makes the whole thing look a bit neater.
Good call.

How will Dushan cope with emerging Ottoman state?
He will play the Turkish Beyliks against each other. There are no books in the library of Constantinople that deal with the Osmanoglu dynasty alone. ;)

Upcoming updates will be:

CHAPTER IV - CONSTANTINE XI, A JUSTINIAN OF HIS AGE

and

CHAPTER V - THE TURKISH WARS

CHAPTER IV - CONSTANTINE XI, A JUSTINIAN OF HIS AGE

Dusan did not have to wait long to ascend to the throne. In 1347, the Johns V and VI renewed their hostilities, and Kantakouzenos declared the Palaiologos deposed and named Dusanes as his co-emperor. This was a tactical move - without the help of Dusan's forces, Kantakouzenos would have had great difficulty in defeating John V and his Turkish allies. Tragically, by mid-year, John VI was no more - he had fallen victim to the plague. John V arrogantly refused to acknowledge Dusanes as the proper co-emperor, and Dusan, now more properly called Dusanes after his coronation, led a great force against the upstart Palaiologos. Fortunately, the war would not last long. John V foolishly decided to lead his forces in person, despite his inexperience in battle, and was killed in battle with Dusanes's forces in Thrace. Constantine XI Dusanes then traveled to the capital, where he was welcomed by all as their one and true emperor in February 1348. He surrounded himself with some of the brightest minds in the empire, and set out to drawing up plans for his glorious future conquests. Most importantly of all, his wife Maria bore him a son later that year - the man who would become our Manuel II Dusanes. And if Constantine XI can properly be called a Justinian of his age, then his son Manuel II would be a new Heraclius.

CHAPTER V - THE TURKISH WARS - THE BEGINNING

Constantine XI is perhaps best remembered for his conquests, or rather reconquests, against the Turkish peoples of Asia Minor. After all, it is on the battlefields of Magnasia, Brusa, Nikomedia and Pergamos that he earned his moniker "the Great." An outsider to Roman history may look at a map of Romania at Dusanes's death and scoff - after all, his conquests represented only a fraction of our old heartland. But as history often reminds us, the work of visionaries pays off in spades after their time.

Who knows what would have happened had Dusanes not taken Nikomedia, or dispersed the Turks of Magnesia? Names like "Saruhan," "Germiyan," and "Osmanli" mean little to us today, but in this historian's opinion they would have held far greater weight had Constantine XI the Great not been as successful as he was on the battlefield as he was in state affairs.

Now that I've bored my audience with the oft-rehashed story of the time the Turk was king in Asia Minor, let us return to our story. Fresh from his victory against the damned Palaiologoi and his ascension to the throne, Dusanes laid his sights on the East. The situation there was pitiful - during Dusanes's ascension in 1348, the Romans held only Pegai, Herakleia, Amastris, and Philadelphia. Unlike his incompetent predecessors, Dusanes saw what kind of travesty it was to allow rightfully Roman land to be used by these Turkic barbarians (I do not mean to offend any of my turcophone Greek readers, for as we all know, they descend from proper Byzantine Greeks).

First, he renewed the alliance Kantakouzatzes had previously made with the Emir of Aydin. Emir Umur Bey had died of an unknown cause shortly after Dusanes's coronation, yet his son Mustafa proved a capable leader. The Emir was at first alarmed to learn of Dusanes's plan to wage a war of reconquest in Asia Minor, but our Constantine XI ensured him that the Romans would stay true to their alliance. He promised the noble Emir land and riches if he would lend his modest forces for the purpose of the conquest of surrounding beyliks. Mustafa knew that this alliance would mean ceding some of his sovereignty - he would become a Roman vassal in all but name. Readers will recall that, until recently, the Muslims of Tralleis Province held a special status, and were given the sole right to the highest administrational posts. This is in part because of the efforts of Mustafa I of Aydin.

In the summer of 1349, Dusanes set sail for Genoan-held Smyrna with 30,000 troops at his back, not a few of them ferried over by our benevolent Venetian allies. He then met Mustafa at the scenic town of Ayios Theologos to plan his next move. Mustafa agreed to bring 15,000 of his men to the battlefield, but only if they were to attack Saruhan first. This beylik had been a thorn in Aydin's side for years, and it was a miracle when a decade went by without a Saruhanian invasion. On that fateful September of 1349, Dusanes and Mustafa rode side by side into Saruhan, conquering town after town until they finally put up their tents before Magnesia. In a weeks time, the defenses were breached [1], and the city was ours. Many of the scattered Turkish forces were put to flight, but many more defected to Mustafa's, and by extension Dusanes's, ranks. The emperor made Magnesia a home for his troops - he was surely in for the long haul. As he watched his men fraternize with the Turks, taking part inTurkish wrestling competitions (somewhat clumsily, it may be admitted) for the entertainment of all (especially the Turks), he turned his gaze northward. Surely, at this moment, the Osmanli Emir felt a shiver down his spine. For if he wanted his realm to survive, if he wanted to survive himself, he would have to make a fateful choice. This decision came on the day he found himself trapped in his capital of Brusa in 1353 with the Romans at the gates.

[1] Actually, Dusanes's Turkish allies were able to bribe a citizen of Magnesia to open the gates. The defenders were summarily destroyed

Interesting stuff. Just how extensive is the Roman reconquest at this stage? I assume it's essentially limited to the Aegean coast of Asia Minor?

How are court politics doing back at Constantinople too? It really wouldn't surprise me if Dusanes has to deal with another civil war at some point soon, as there'll always be ambitious rivals attacking the "barbarian Emperor".

Finally, are there any butterflies on the wider international stage as of yet?

Don't forget the 1354 earthquake that set up the Turks in Gallipoli. Ah... this TL makes me want to write a Karaman wank.

I wonder what degree of Hellenization will occur with the Serbs? Stefan is presumably going to create a dynasty, however it will be a dynasty which will most likely quickly come to think of itself as being Greek. This will undoubtedly create blow back in Serbia, unless efforts are actively taken to incorporate them into empire both culturally and administratively. Ideally one wants to avoid a Bulgaria like situation, with the region revolting after several generations of byzantine control and recreating itself as an independent kingdom/rival.

Might Thesslonki or even Skopje emerge as an administrative center for the Byzantine empire's Balkan subjects? Ideally it would be site were Serbs and other slavs could be educated and trained for administrative and religious positions throughout the empire's balkan holdings, eventually turning said city into a Slavic Athens.

I wonder what degree of Hellenization will occur with the Serbs? Stefan is presumably going to create a dynasty, however it will be a dynasty which will most likely quickly come to think of itself as being Greek. This will undoubtedly create blow back in Serbia, unless efforts are actively taken to incorporate them into empire both culturally and administratively. Ideally one wants to avoid a Bulgaria like situation, with the region revolting after several generations of byzantine control and recreating itself as an independent kingdom/rival.
How would one do that? I essentially handwaved it in RoS because the Byzzies weren't the main focus but other than giving them positions and treating them essentially the same what can and should be done culturally?

Last edited:
How would one do that? I essentially handwaved it in RoS because the Byzzies weren't the main focus but other than giving them positions and treating them essentially the same what can and should be done culturally?

While Stefan may become emperor and treat his greek subjects well, I would imagine that there will be a lot of mutual suspicion between him and Constantinople because he is still ultimately a serb. Thessaloniki was during this era, Byzantium's 2nd city. It was an important trading and cultural center, and its fortifications were generally strong enough to hold out against the average invader. Thessaloniki is also alot closer to Stefan's original power base. Consequently the city will have a strategic importance in tying the two halves of the empire together.

I could easily see Stefan expending considerable resources to Serbify the city and its surrounding areas. Part of it may be subsidized, part of it may be forced, but if the wall of Constantinople become locked against him or his decedents, Thessaloniki will be a bulwark. Part of serbification would likely mean the creation of new schools and seminaries to train Slavic, bureaucrats, priests, and bishops. Similarly Thessaloniki's workshops would soon be home to hundreds of Slavic artisans. However the long term effect of this would be Hellenization, as this would greatly increase the interaction between the Greek and Serbian elite and intelligentsia.

I could easily see Stefan expending considerable resources to Serbify the city and its surrounding areas. Part of it may be subsidized, part of it may be forced, but if the wall of Constantinople become locked against him or his decedents, Thessaloniki will be a bulwark. Part of serbification would likely mean the creation of new schools and seminaries to train Slavic, bureaucrats, priests, and bishops. Similarly Thessaloniki's workshops would soon be home to hundreds of Slavic artisans. However the long term effect of this would be Hellenization, as this would greatly increase the interaction between the Greek and Serbian elite and intelligentsia.

I think what's far, far more likely is an attempt to Romanise Serbia, rather than Serbify Rhomania. Remember which culture has the higher "prestige factor" in the contemporary Balkans.

Agree about the whole thing about assimilation though. In Isaac's Empire, the Slavic national identity essentially welds with that of Rhomania, so that by about 1500, they consider themselves to be "true Romans". With a later POD, this will be more difficult to achieve, especially since the Empire was not, until recently, the strongest power in the Balkans. I think what I could see Dusanes doing is settling much of the Serbian aristocracy around Thrace and his reconquered lands in coastal Anatolia, where they will both act as a check on uppity Graeco-Romans, and be themselves gradually Romanised.

I think what's far, far more likely is an attempt to Romanise Serbia, rather than Serbify Rhomania. Remember which culture has the higher "prestige factor" in the contemporary Balkans.

Agree about the whole thing about assimilation though. In Isaac's Empire, the Slavic national identity essentially welds with that of Rhomania, so that by about 1500, they consider themselves to be "true Romans". With a later POD, this will be more difficult to achieve, especially since the Empire was not, until recently, the strongest power in the Balkans. I think what I could see Dusanes doing is settling much of the Serbian aristocracy around Thrace and his reconquered lands in coastal Anatolia, where they will both act as a check on uppity Graeco-Romans, and be themselves gradually Romanised.

I by and large agree with you and both counts. I'm just thinking Thessilonki and its environs will be one of the principal sites for resettlement, and serve as a conduit for the gradual Romanization of Serbia, given that its closer to the old heartland than Thrace.

Just how extensive is the Roman reconquest at this stage? I assume it's essentially limited to the Aegean coast of Asia Minor?
Indeed. Currently, the beylik of Aydin is a vassal and Saruhan has been conquered.

How are court politics doing back at Constantinople too? It really wouldn't surprise me if Dusanes has to deal with another civil war at some point soon, as there'll always be ambitious rivals attacking the "barbarian Emperor".
There will be a civil war, which will unfortunately set back the empire's reconquest of Asia Minor for decades.

Finally, are there any butterflies on the wider international stage as of yet?
Not yet.

Don't forget the 1354 earthquake that set up the Turks in Gallipoli.
Most of Gallipoli will be destroyed in 1354, but by that time there are no Turks in the area to speak of which will be able to invade/settle there. ;)

Just a question, why 'Constantine'?
Basileus Giorgios suggested it, and I thought it would be appropriate that the man who saves the empire would bear the same name as the last OTL emperor.

I wonder what degree of Hellenization will occur with the Serbs?
The Serbs will be be gradually Hellenized over the following centuries. They will be in a situation similar to the Slavs of Greek Macedonia - they will identify as slavophone Greeks. The Aromanians (I'm part Aromanian, incidentally :p) are an even better example - the Serbs of Romania will consider themselves first and foremost Greeks, with a certain Serbian sub-identity, but Serbs of the diaspora in Hungary and Russia will consider themselves thoroughly Slavic.

DusanUros

Banned
Aha.... so i see you couldnt resist the temptation :p. Will comment later on it, when my brain is kind of cleaner and can understand most of the details. Meanwhile... just a few notes.

There will be a civil war, which will unfortunately set back the empire's reconquest of Asia Minor for decades.

Errrmmmmm yeah but.... would Dusan really have 30.000 soldiers without draining the Balkans? Especially around the time of the black plague.

Most of Gallipoli will be destroyed in 1354, but by that time there are no Turks in the area to speak of which will be able to invade/settle there. ;)

Turks no.... but Turk-aligned or Muslims?

Basileus Giorgios suggested it, and I thought it would be appropriate that the man who saves the empire would bear the same name as the last OTL emperor.

Or you rather mean the name of the Emperor who built the Empire?

The Serbs will be be gradually Hellenized over the following centuries. They will be in a situation similar to the Slavs of Greek Macedonia - they will identify as slavophone Greeks.

Actually you got it kind of wrong, the Slavophones in Macedonia were Bulgarized Greeks, hence their allegiance during the Macedonian uprisings.

The Aromanians (I'm part Aromanian, incidentally :p) are an even better example - the Serbs of Romania will consider themselves first and foremost Greeks, with a certain Serbian sub-identity, but Serbs of the diaspora in Hungary and Russia will consider themselves thoroughly Slavic.

Aman kume ti si vlah bre?

To be honest i dont even know whats going on with the Wallachians.... wherever they find themselves they assimilate completely, without forgetting their roots. Now how they achieve that.... no idea.

Considering the example of the beylik of Aydin becoming a vassal to the Byzantine emperor Dusanes, would other Turkish rulers whose territories lie in his current plan of reconquering Anatolia would capitulate and agree to become vassals? The Turks would one by one be reincorporated into the Empire. Would some even convert?

Hello!

This is a very nice idea; I've often wondered what might have been if Stefan IV Uroš, or his successors, had held together a cohesive polity that was more than a "flash in the pan". I congratulate you on pursuing this idea...

If you need any help with ideas, just ask; the late Byzantine period was my speciality at university - and I love it to this day (despite its unpopularity with many Byzantinophiles, who only like the "glory period" in the 9th to 12th centuries). :)

On the Turks, I think it should not at all be an easy task for the Roman Empire to absorb their lands. By the mid-14th century, you've had almost 300 years of Turkish settlement, especially in the eastern highlands and the central plateau, and flight of Christian Greeks to the west, to the islands and across the sea to Greece/Macedonia/Thrace.

The Osmanlı beylik may be squashed, but there should be plenty of trouble from Aydın and Mente[FONT=&quot]ş[/FONT]e - and not least from Germiyan. Germiyan was the beylik the Ottomans often looked up to, and its patina of Perso-Islamic civilisation in the form of educated Persianate bureaucrats who could organise the state effectively, and collect tax revenues efficiently, should make it a formidable proposition. I think many of the Turkish ghazis/ghulams, which IOTL went to Osmanlı territory because it was adjacent to rich tekfur (Greek Christian) lands ideal for raiding activity, will instead congregate in Germiyanid lands. I suspect that the Emirs of Germiyan will rapidly absorb the beyliks around them, including Karaman, pay their respect to the distant Ilkhanid overlords in Isfahan, and then maybe start to propagandise about being the legitimate successors of the old Sultanate of Rum.

Possible alliances of the future between the 'Servian' Emperors of Constantinople and other local powers, in preparation for what should be a long, drawn-out "fightback" in Anatolia, could include the Empire of Trebizond (these guys are Comneni, so may look sniffily down at the Dusanes), the Lusignan Kingdom of Cyprus (through the good offices of Venice, maybe, but it would p**s off the Genoans) and possibly Lesser Armenia (which in the mid-14th century controlled the old territory of 'Cilicia').

Other local players the Dusanes should take notice of include: the Genoese, the Knights of St. John, the Catalan-controlled Duchy of Athens and the Principality of Achaea. I'm assuming that the Despotate of Mistras, in the Morea, will also be under the control of the Dusanes - although it might be fun to have the Kantakuzenid Despots stay in power here and cause trouble for the Dusanes further north.

Anyway, it will be nice and complex - with plenty of relationships/interactions with Catholic powers in Europe - so I look forward to see how you handle all this. ;)

Best wishes,

MDtK

Last edited: